2018 blog - księżyc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: 2018 blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-15, 22:15

Nope. I was lucky on that one, hence my taking one now.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-15, 22:47

:shock:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-16, 0:22

Does your current job require you to have a GRE or something? Or is it because you're trying to get into a PhD program?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 0:50

I'm trying to get into a PhD program.

In unrelated news, fuck it, I'm starting an Old/Middle English study group. :lol:
That'll be the last one, I swear!
*Fingers crossed behind his back*

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-16, 1:17

księżycowy wrote:In unrelated news, fuck it, I'm starting an Old/Middle English study group. :lol:
That'll be the last one, I swear!
*Fingers crossed behind his back*

Damn you! Make it OE and I'm in.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 1:20

No luv for Middle English?

Either way, check the Ancient subforum. Just be sure to clean the dust off first.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 9:29

So, any serious interest in a Turkmen study group?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 15:37

So, since I've joined a few more study groups, I thought it might at least me helpful to list out my intentions with them, so people don't think I'm absolutely crazy. (I mean, let's face it, I am crazy. Just not absolutely crazy. :silly: ) I figured I'd also define what I mean by my tare titles (in parentheses).

♡Love♡ (Work on at least 5 days a week)
German - My main focus, that I'll work on everyday if possible!

Polish - I absolutely am loving Polish, and have the interest in maybe using it for my studies, plus there's the whole heritage thing.

Japanese - Similar to Polish, except I'm not Asian. :P

~Good Friends~ (At least three times a week)
Irish - So close to being a love, but considering most of my loves are languages I'll also need for my studies, I can't exactly say that about Irish.

Cayuga - Time to get serious about Cayuga! I severely miss Seneca, so I'm doing a Northern Iroquoian language and that's that! :yep:

*Acquaintances* (At least once a week)
Old English - I've wanted to do this one for ages! I want to at least get familiarized with the grammar and syntax a bit for now. Eventually I want to go through Beowulf in the original OE.

Aleut - Similarily to OE, I want to at least get familiar with some Aleut vocabulary and grammar. Nothing to serious for now, but eventually I'll turn this into a serious study of the language.

Coptic (?) - Basically the same story as OE. I've been interested in the Coptic gospels for a long time, so a serious study of the language is at least conceivable some time in the future. Hopefully the study group get's off the ground, but I won't cry if it doesn't.

Turkmen (?) - This is just an exploration, without any strings attached. I've always wanted to learn a Turkic language, but not really for any practical reason. And I've had an interest in Central Asia for ages, so why not? Let's just see if I can get a study group going though. :P

No, dEhiN, don't freak out about Japanese (or Cayuga, if you join in)! These are my personal goals, and are separate then the study group goals and pacing!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-17, 7:34

księżycowy wrote:No luv for Middle English?

I luv Middle English! Just separately from Old English. Those are completely different animals. (I mean, if by OE and ME we're talking Beowulf and Chaucer, respectively).
So, any serious interest in a Turkmen study group?

Hawa.
(Yes).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-17, 9:44

I find it amusing that you answer the same question in multiple threads. (And even more than once in the same thread sometimes.)

I got it! You're in it for Turkmen! :P :lol:

vijayjohn wrote:I luv Middle English! Just separately from Old English. Those are completely different animals. (I mean, if by OE and ME we're talking Beowulf and Chaucer, respectively).

Yes, we're ultimately talking about Beowulf and The Canterbury Tales, as I have paperback copies of both (in the original languages!) in my possession. I have plans to read both after going through the textbooks.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-17, 15:35

księżycowy wrote:I got it! You're in it for Turkmen! :P :lol:

I am not so into Turkmen, but if you guys start an Uzbek study group, I'll find it hard to resist.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-17, 15:47

Don't you dare tempt me! :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-17, 18:30

All this talk of Turkic languages is making me eye my Chuvash and Yakut grammars. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-18, 14:14

After some further thought this is what I'm left with:

♡Family♡ (shoot for working on them at least 5 days a week)
German
Polish
Japanese

~Friends~ (shoot for at least three times a week)
Irish
Cayuga

*Acquaintances* (At least once a week, but no strings attached)
Old English
Turkmen

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-22, 9:37

A little more trimming:

♡Family♡
German
Polish
(Japanese)

~Friends~
(Japanese)

I'll also note that I may bump Japanese down a level. Not for lack of interest or anything, but more so because I've been working on Polish and German diligently almost every day. Unfortunately at the moment I can't say the same for Japanese. I think I was partially using dEhiN as an excuse to not do any. At any rate, I'll leave things as they are for now, and see how Japanese goes for a bit.

I'm saddened a bit to cut Irish and Cayuga from the roster, but this is only temporary and hopefully I'll be able to study them later this coming year. I do need to refocus on my academic goals and not get super distracted by other languages. Depending on what happens with Japanese, I may add Irish back in, but let's see how I do adding one more language.

And for context, dEhiN's post in his TAC got me thinking about all of this.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-26, 0:40

Ok, so after having a long, multi-day conversation with he who shall not be named (Vijay :P ), I'm going to drop Japanese, for now, and commence with my plan to do German and Polish. My goal has extended into at least a B1 level (using the CERF scale), but preferably the B2 level until I slacken off my intensive study of these two languages and start adding a third. (Japanese will be the third, in case anyone was curious.) And I'm not looking to finish this in three months. I mean, if I do all the better, but I doubt that will happen. It'll probably take a good few months, if not a year.

I aim to work on all vital skills of language learning: reading, listening, writing (and speaking), so I'll be giving myself bi-weekly reading, writing and listening challenges as I work through my textbooks. Speaking of textbooks, I'm switching back to Begegnungen as my main (and perhaps only) textbook. I'm doing so because it will help more then German Quickly as far as listening, speaking and writing.

But what is life without whimsy? So I'll keep a third non-serious language on the roster. It'll help to keep wanderlust at bay (hopefully). For now it'll be Old English, but it may (read: definitely will) change as we go. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-03, 21:50

So, I just learned I'm Swedish..... :para:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-03, 22:16

księżycowy wrote:So, I just learned I'm Swedish..... :para:

Ancestry.com? 23andme?

According to my DNA analysis (I used CRI Genetics), I'm 87.3% South Asian with only 49.8% of that being Sri Lankan, 13.4% of that being Guajarati Indian, 12.5% being Punjabi, and 11.6% being Bengali. I'm also 6.1% European (with 3.1% Northern European), 4.1% East Asian (with 1.8% Chinese Dai), and 2.2% AdMixed American (with 1.8% Peruvian).
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-03, 22:22

I have no idea. My uncle took the DNA test and all that. I just know some pieces of the information. Though it doesn't invalidate the Polish (or I suppose German) thankfully.

I've thought about taking a DNA test, just for the fun of it. :P I still might at that.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-09, 18:22

Rather than post this more than once in each study group, I figure I'll post this here:

So, this week was a bit busy for me. I had some meetings, and other personal things to attend to. Oh, and bonus, I have a head cold this weekend!

The deadlines for the study groups I'm involved in will most likely be moved up a week.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”