Indonesian Study Group

Moderator:atalarikt

dEhiN
Re: Indonesian Study Group

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-16, 6:41

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Are you using a dictionary for some stuff?

Oh, absolutely. I had to look up plenty of stuff.

What dictionary (or dictionaries)?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 17:12

How well do you guys understand the grammar explanations in that textbook? They're in Indonesian, right?

I'm tempted to say I'll run through it this coming summer.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-16, 20:52

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Are you using a dictionary for some stuff?

Oh, absolutely. I had to look up plenty of stuff.

What dictionary (or dictionaries)?

I think Wiktionary first but otherwise none in particular. I just searched for things like "[word] Indonesian" on Google and looked at whatever came up in the results.
księżycowy wrote:How well do you guys understand the grammar explanations in that textbook? They're in Indonesian, right?

I'm sure they are since each book is entirely in Indonesian. I don't really remember their explanations now. The grammar has honestly been super-simple so far, though.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 21:07

Simple how?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-16, 21:15

"Name me _______. Age me ________ year. Me in _________ grade. This dad me. Hair me curly." That sort of thing.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 21:22

At first I wasn't sure if that was the original or translation. Took me until I got to "year" to realize it was the translation. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-17, 5:58

"Who name you? Name you ______. I want card get buku from library. Please stand in line. Thank you."

See you next summer then, I guess! :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-17, 22:48

Guys, I'm not convinced it's that easy! At least, it doesn't seem to be for me. I just tried going through pages 12 and 13 (the first few listening exercises and activity), and it's pretty time-consuming. I can pick up a very little bit from context, though most of that are words that I already had learned once, but I find myself looking up basically every single word! I don't know if this has been your experience or not, and if so, how you handled that?! I get needing to use the dictionary, but looking up every word or almost every word just to figure out both the explanations plus the material being taught is too much for me. Especially not with all the other study groups I'm in. So I will either need to bow out of this group, or find a resource aimed for English speakers (and go at my own pace unless you two are also willing to switch with me), or one of you will have to show me if you have found a way to not have to painstakingly look up every word.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-11-18, 0:23

This is what I do - I look up all the words.
But if you find another good (and free) resource I can switch to it with you.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-18, 5:09

dEhiN, when you say p. 12, you mean the part that begins like this?
A. Membaca
Bacalah kartu perpustakaan berikut!

PERPUSTAKAAN SEKOLAH DASAR TUNAS MUDA

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-18, 5:45

No, by page 12 I mean this:
Screenshot 1.jpg

And by page 13 I mean this:
Screenshot 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-18, 5:47

Salajane wrote:This is what I do - I look up all the words.
But if you find another good (and free) resource I can switch to it with you.

Wow! How far did you and Vijay get up to in the past? I'm not sure whether to do what you're doing and just look up all the words, or try to find another resource that's English based. (Well, it could also be French or even Spanish based, although if it's Spanish based that will be harder for me than French.)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-18, 5:59

Oh, sorry, I completely failed to notice that Salajane linked you to the old textbooks! :shock: I was using the new ones before (at the beginning of this thread), then she said something about how the old versions of those textbooks are in a different link, then this group died. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-18, 6:10

vijayjohn wrote:Oh, sorry, I completely failed to notice that Salajane linked you to the old textbooks! :shock: I was using the new ones before (at the beginning of this thread), then she said something about how the old versions of those textbooks are in a different link, then this group died. :P

Oh ok; are the new ones that different? Are they any better? Easier?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-18, 6:14

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Oh, sorry, I completely failed to notice that Salajane linked you to the old textbooks! :shock: I was using the new ones before (at the beginning of this thread), then she said something about how the old versions of those textbooks are in a different link, then this group died. :P

Oh God yes, they are so much easier.

Or, I dunno, at least I think they look a lot easier. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-18, 7:25

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

Oh God yes, they are so much easier.

Or, I dunno, at least I think they look a lot easier. :P

Yes, they are definitely easier!! I am so much more relieved now! I don't mind using these new textbooks; looking up words will be easier as well.

I did notice in Tingkat A-1 that the Prapengajaran section (starting at page xi as numbered within the pdf) is repeated twice! Also, in that section, when they give examples of each letter at the beginning, middle, and end of a word, even though they use slashes under the word to denote the pronunciation, I take it they aren't actually putting IPA in there, right? For a second I thought they were, and was reading <c> as /c/, <j> as /j/ and <q> as /q/. But then they did the same for <w>, <x>, etc. and there is no /w/ phoneme in the IPA consonant chart. As well, I don't ever remember Indonesian having /x/!

So, I don't know what you guys got up to in the past. But I was thinking to go through the Prapengajaran section for this week to familiarise myself with the alphabet, some basic nouns and verbs, as well as numbers, colours, days of the week and months of the year.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-18, 8:11

Tbh I completely skipped that whole section and jumped right into Unit 1. :P I stopped at the end of Unit 4, I'm pretty sure. But I can go back and do that section with you. :) I totally didn't notice they repeated it twice. :lol:
dEhiN wrote:Yes, they are definitely easier!! I am so much more relieved now! I don't mind using these new textbooks; looking up words will be easier as well.

Yay! :D
Also, in that section, when they give examples of each letter at the beginning, middle, and end of a word, even though they use slashes under the word to denote the pronunciation, I take it they aren't actually putting IPA in there, right? For a second I thought they were, and was reading <c> as /c/, <j> as /j/ and <q> as /q/. But then they did the same for <w>, <x>, etc. and there is no /w/ phoneme in the IPA consonant chart. As well, I don't ever remember Indonesian having /x/!

Yeah, it's definitely not IPA. I think it's more like those phonetic guides they have in English-language dictionaries (maybe even modeled after those).

[w] is in the IPA chart, just under "Other Symbols" :)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-18, 8:14

Thanks for going back with me! And "Other Symbols" doesn't count; I only meant the pulmonic consonants! :evil:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-18, 8:34

That whole thing is the chart, and [w] is a pulmonic consonant. :P They just don't include it in the top part because it's doubly articulated (labiovelar) rather than being limited to one place of articulation.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-21, 20:37

Hey all, I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop out of this group.

Return to “Indonesian/Malay (Bahasa Indonesia/Bahasa Malaysia)”