TAC 2018 - Vijay

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: TAC 2018 - Vijay

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-03, 1:23

So what do you call Aboriginal Syllabics?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-03, 8:11

Geometry. Why?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-15, 4:43

Well, let's see, I'm in study groups for the following languages, but most of them are dead:

Arabic
Hokkien
French
Georgian
German
Ancient Hebrew
Modern Hebrew
Urdu
Icelandic
Indonesian
Japanese
Kurmanji
Persian
Polish
Swedish
Turkish
Sumerian
Coptic
Tagalog
Irish
Cayuga
Eskimo-Aleut languages
Tamil

So that's 23, plus a Spanish group may be created soon, and there has been some chatter around a Pashto group as well, but the ones there was activity in most recently were French, German, Japanese, Polish, Sumerian, Irish, Cayuga, Eskimo-Aleut languages, and Tamil (I'm not counting Coptic because that's barely gotten started). That's 9. If we throw in Kurmanji, Arabic, and Turkish, where there has been activity recently (just not quite as recently as of now), then that's 12.
voron wrote:Let's have seasonal gatherings for Slavic languages as well!
The name could be something like Посиделки.

Or we could have different names for each Slavic language, since we have different forums for them after all, and it could be a collaborative effort between different language-specific forums. :) We could do the same thing with Norouz in Persian, Newrûz in Kurmanji, etc., too. For languages spoken further east, maybe we can just have Thaipongal or something. :P
dEhiN wrote:We should also start one for Austronesian languages.

Sure! We could have a luau. :)

Meanwhile, I've moved on to Latin and, of course, thoroughly failed to review my vocabulary for all the languages I've already been through in this TAC.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-15, 6:37

The Coptic one has already been created?!
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

rmanoj

Postby rmanoj » 2018-11-15, 7:51

So would now be a good time to bring up that Sanskrit study group idea, or...? :mrgreen:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-15, 9:32

Where have I been!? There's been discussion of a Pashto study group!? :para: :shock:

I'm in! :partyhat: :silly: :twisted: :yep:

EDIT: I soooooooo shouldn't have gone to Five Colleges' Lang Media site. Now I wanna start a Vietnamese, Turkmen, Wolof and Hungarian study group. Some please, put me out of my misery!
Last edited by księżycowy on 2018-11-15, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2018-11-15, 10:46

vijayjohn wrote:Well, let's see, I'm in study groups for the following languages, but most of them are dead:

Arabic
Hokkien
French
Georgian
German
Ancient Hebrew
Modern Hebrew
Urdu
Icelandic
Indonesian
Japanese
Kurmanji
Persian
Polish
Swedish
Turkish
Sumerian
Coptic
Tagalog
Irish
Cayuga
Eskimo-Aleut languages
Tamil

Are the languages dead, or the study groups dead?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-15, 11:21

Both.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-11-15, 12:02

Is this the list of all the study groups there are on this forum? :D
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-11-15, 12:04

Salajane wrote:Is this the list of all the study groups there are on this forum? :D

Nah, there is at least one more that Vijay didn't list, it's a group for Zazaki. :roll:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-15, 12:48

It's 95+% of them though.

I thought it was called "Biblical Hebrew", not "Ancient Hebrew". And "Iroquoian" instead of "Cayuga". :hmm:

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-11-15, 15:59

I'm not all that happy with this proliferation of very temporary study groups. But then not much else could be expected from a forum of dabblers. :P

Also I guess I have no right to say anything, since I've done my own contribution to the situation, having abandoned Hokkien and Biblical Hebrew. :(

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-15, 16:02

I for one would love to reform the Taiwanese and Hebrew (Biblical and Modern) study groups, but as I'd like to take them serious, it's just a matter of finding the right time

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-15, 21:18

rmanoj wrote:So would now be a good time to bring up that Sanskrit study group idea, or...? :mrgreen:

Oh, sorry, I forgot about that one!
księżycowy wrote:Where have I been!? There's been discussion of a Pashto study group!? :para: :shock:

Yeah, and I thought you were part of that discussion. :?
I soooooooo shouldn't have gone to Five Colleges' Lang Media site. Now I wanna start a Vietnamese, Turkmen, Wolof and Hungarian study group.

They have Vietnamese and Hungarian?

Oh, huh, they do have Vietnamese...The Wolof thing is intermixed with French, though, and they barely have anything for Hungarian. (For Turkmen, some of the videos are just in Russian or have no text at all).
OldBoring wrote:Are the languages dead, or the study groups dead?

The study groups.
voron wrote:
Salajane wrote:Is this the list of all the study groups there are on this forum? :D

Nah, there is at least one more that Vijay didn't list, it's a group for Zazaki. :roll:

Oh, sorry, forgot about this one, too!
księżycowy wrote:It's 95+% of them though.

I thought it was called "Biblical Hebrew", not "Ancient Hebrew". And "Iroquoian" instead of "Cayuga". :hmm:

Yeah, I forgot them. I was trying to get all of the study groups because I've joined all of them. :P
Ser wrote:I'm not all that happy with this proliferation of very temporary study groups. But then not much else could be expected from a forum of dabblers. :P

Like księżycowy says, most of them haven't been abandoned for good as far as I can tell. And I'm definitely doing more than just dabbling. Maybe not in his languages, but definitely in a bunch. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-15, 22:19

vijayjohn wrote:Yeah, and I thought you were part of that discussion. :?

I thought that you meant new discussion on it. Yes, I have expressed interest in the past. But if there's noöne else at the moment, I think we can wait. There are only so many hours in the day, after all.

Like księżycowy says, most of them haven't been abandoned for good as far as I can tell. And I'm definitely doing more than just dabbling. Maybe not in his my stupid languages languages, but definitely in a bunch. :P

FTFY. You're welcome. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-15, 22:48

My stupid languages languages? :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-15, 22:52

vijayjohn wrote:My stupid languages languages? :P

I think all this language studying is going to księżycowy's brain; he's mixing things up and forgetting his native tongue.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-15, 22:58

Polish is my native tongue! I no seek Anglis gud!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 0:14

In all seriousness though, Vijay, it's nice to know what you think of my language choices......

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-11-16, 0:20

vijayjohn wrote:Like księżycowy says, most of them haven't been abandoned for good as far as I can tell. And I'm definitely doing more than just dabbling. Maybe not in his languages, but definitely in a bunch. :P

Yeah, you're not dabbling, but you're on a higher plane of existence, Vijay. Here I'm criticizing lesser beings such as ksiezycowy and myself.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”