TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 19:51

Update time (part 3):

I'm trying to decide about Japanese, whether to go with the study group's resource or go at my own pace. While the resource is partially a factor, really the bigger question for me is whether I want to add Japanese to the weekly goals language list, or the language rotation language list. I know that with the study groups, we all go at a pace that works for everyone, meaning if I can't do a particular weekly goal for Japanese, the rest of the group will (probably) wait for me. But I don't want to hold up the others in the group too much. And I worry that the more languages I have in the weekly goals list, the more pressure I'll be putting on myself every week. The idea with the language rotation list was to allow myself the freedom to go as slow or as fast as I want to and/or can.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-12, 20:17

I know that with the study groups, we all go at a pace that works for everyone, meaning if I can't do a particular weekly goal for Japanese, the rest of the group will (probably) wait for me. But I don't want to hold up the others in the group too much. And I worry that the more languages I have in the weekly goals list, the more pressure I'll be putting on myself every week.

You are putting too much pressure on yourself if anything. It's me, Vijay, and ceid donn, what's to worry about? Not to mention you don't have to worry about slowing anyone down. Nothing is stopping people from going ahead if they wish. It's just a baseline for us to know what to share and work on (if we haven't already). I've done the lessons in the first 9 lessons of Minna no Nihongo, but I'm holding off posting about them until the group gets that far. It's really no big deal. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-12, 20:20

And, before I forget:

dEhiN wrote:I didn't say I like it! I said how it would be hard if I were a complete beginner, like I am with Japanese!

Actually, that's how I learned as much as I did. Starting from scratch. But that's my method, so YMMV.

So, I think you should remove your palm from your face... :lol:

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata - 03 - Large 06.jpg

いいえ!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 20:33

księżycowy wrote:
So, I think you should remove your palm from your face... :lol:

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata - 03 - Large 06.jpg
いいえ!

はあい (はい?)

Hoe did I do for trying to recall Hiragana as well the word for yes from memory?
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-12, 20:34

dEhiN wrote:はあい (はい?)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 20:46

księżycowy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:はあい (はい?)

ありがとう。

On a side note, I really need to double check the posts I write on my phone before I submit them! I just saw the typo of how as hoe. I noticed two major mistakes the other day in a post that linguoboy responded to: I completely forgot to include a word, and I think I misspelled another word! I'm glad he got what I meant anyway!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 20:56

Weekly Goals:

French
  • Watch Leçon 3 of "French in Action" - due by Nov 17
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 8 of தமிழ் பாடநூல் - due by Nov 17
  • Write out the new vocab from Tamil Study Group post in language notebook - due by Nov 17

Language Rotation:

Greenlandic
Inuktitut

Not much right now in the way of goals for this week. I'll try and write out the Greenlandic pronunciation stuff, but I might hold off on Inuktitut till next week. Chances are I'll be adding goals for Sumerian and Japanese.

After much discussion, I've decided to stick with the Japanese Study Group's resource and go at the group pace. I just need to now recall what the study goals are for that group!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-12, 23:33

Nie pamiętałem!
dEhiN wrote:நான் இங்கேதான்! ஏன்?

Co to mówi?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-13, 5:42

księżycowy wrote:Nie pamiętałem!

What didn't you remember? (If GT translated it correctly.)
księżycowy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:நான் இங்கேதான்! ஏன்?

Co to mówi?

It says "I'm here! Why?"

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-13, 6:54

I think that might be நான் இங்கே இருக்கிறேன்.
dEhiN wrote:
księżycowy wrote:Nie pamiętałem!

What didn't you remember? (If GT translated it correctly.)

I think he means he doesn't (didn't?) remember the study goals for the Japanese group, either (since you said you didn't remember).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-13, 9:29

"I forgot (to reply to this)."

"What does it say?"

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-13, 18:55

I'm adding the Sumerian Study Group goals for this week.

Weekly Goals

French
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 8 of தமிழ் பாடநூல் - due by Nov 17
  • Write out the new vocab from Tamil Study Group post in language notebook - due by Nov 17
Sumerian
  • Go through first half of Section 2.2 "Vowels and vowel harmonies" (pp. 29 - 30) of An Introduction to the Grammar of Sumerian - due by Nov 17

Language Rotation

Greenlandic
Inuktitut

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-16, 5:14

So...I decided to join a whole bunch of study groups.

Currently, I'm in Tamil, French, Spanish, Sumerian, Japanese, Swedish, Tagalog, Indonesian, Coptic, Old English, and Turkish. I'll have to see how it goes, but I might decide to stop doing any languages on my own and only stick to the study group ones. Unless I can find another person (or two) to start a Greenlandic or Inuktitut group with me? Or maybe I'll join an existing NAIL study group?

I have finished the Tamil goals for this week, and have partially finished the Sumerian goal for this week. I haven't started on French yet, though I usually now leave that till Saturday. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the Japanese study group goal for this week, but I will try to at least get a handle on the textbooks and how they are organized.

Even though it might be a bit presumptuous (because I might find myself unable to keep up with all these study groups), I'm thinking of changing my signature to reflect that languages I plan to do. I've generally liked the idea of having my currently active languages in my signature.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-16, 6:52

So, I think for Swedish, Tagalog and Indonesian, I'm going to start next week (if the others in the group are ok with it). I'm not sure when Coptic and Old English will begin: I think we've more or less picked a resource for Coptic, though I'm not sure when we'll actually start, and we have yet to finalise a resource for OE. Spanish will possibly start next week as well, although I'm in no rush and I don't think Vijay is, so if we wait a whole extra week to see if anyone else is interested, I'm fine with that. I'm basically on my own for Turkish because the others in the study group are way ahead of me. I'm going to take my time finding a resource I like, mostly so that I can stagger when I start all these groups. If I can push myself, I might try to start Japanese this week; in a way I will be, because I'm going to at least get a feel for the textbooks. But I might, like I already mentioned, try to also do the study group goal for this week, or leave it to next week (again, provided the group is ok with that). I will also try to familiarise myself this week with the resource we're going to use for Tagalog and Indonesian, as well as get the audio for Swedish.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-16, 8:51

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I've picked a resource for OE! :)

And you should join the Iroquoian study group! :yep:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-17, 7:13

dEhiN wrote:Unless I can find another person (or two) to start a Greenlandic or Inuktitut group with me? Or maybe I'll join an existing NAIL study group?

We have the Eskimo-Aleut one, but Salajane had expressed interest in Greenlandic at least, too.
I have finished the Tamil goals for this week

Oh, so have I!
So, I think for Swedish, Tagalog and Indonesian, I'm going to start next week (if the others in the group are ok with it).

Sure!
Spanish will possibly start next week as well, although I'm in no rush and I don't think Vijay is

Nope!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-17, 9:37

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Unless I can find another person (or two) to start a Greenlandic or Inuktitut group with me? Or maybe I'll join an existing NAIL study group?

We have the Eskimo-Aleut one, but Salajane had expressed interest in Greenlandic at least, too.

So far it's mostly just a whole lot of Aleut and no Eskimo. :P

If you'd like to study the same language as other people, you're more than welcome to join us for Aleut and/or Cayuga.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-17, 21:37

księżycowy wrote:I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I've picked a resource for OE! :)

What are you using for OE?

księżycowy wrote:And you should join the Iroquoian study group! :yep:

Which language(s) are you doing - Cayuga?

księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

So far it's mostly just a whole lot of Aleut and no Eskimo. :P

If you'd like to study the same language as other people, you're more than welcome to join us for Aleut and/or Cayuga.

How different is Aleut from Greenlandic?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-17, 21:46

Time for a quick update:

Weekly Goals

French
Tamil
  • Go through Lesson 8 of தமிழ் பாடநூல்
  • Write out the new vocab from Tamil Study Group post in language notebook
Sumerian
  • Go through first half of Section 2.2 "Vowels and vowel harmonies" (pp. 29 - 30) of An Introduction to the Grammar of Sumerian
Japanese
  • Go through みんなのにほんご and the Japanese Study Group explanations to understand the resource - due by Nov 19

I'm stopping my rotational languages. If I do join a study group for Greenlandic (Salajane, are you interested?), then I'll continue learning Greenlandic. But for now it'll be too much, especially once all the study groups get underway. I finished all of Lesson 2 for Sumerian, so I read ahead! I even tried to do the exercises, though I found them challenging and was only able to partially do them. I'm adding my goal for Japanese. It's not the group goal, and hopefully Vijay and księżycowy are ok with waiting another week for me to catch up. Another option might be for them to move on to lesson 2, and, provided I can understand how to use みんなのにほんご*, I can try to do both lesson 1 and 2 for next week Saturday.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-11-17, 23:33

dEhiN wrote:(Salajane, are you interested?)

Yes, I am, but not right now. I think I'll have more time for it after I graduate.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”