2018 blog - księżyc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

ceid donn
Re: 2018 blog - księżyc

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-29, 20:39

I have long been interested in Cantoniese but my plate is already too full. Good luck with this study group. Good to know there's a FSI course for Cantonese should I ever decide to pursue it in the future.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-29, 20:40

Ok, let's take a rain check, and see what's going on in December or early next year. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-10, 20:33

There are two things I'd like to address:
1) You may notice that once again I'm not updating my blog. This time, however, I am working on (most :whistle: ) of my languages. I'm being quite successful thus far on Japanese, German and Polish. As for why I haven't written here, I've mostly switched to using the appropriate study group threads for updates, posting exercises, and such things. I hope to still occasionally update this blog though. :)

2) I'm tempted to see if anyone wants to start an Old/Middle English study group, but I fear that would be way too much for me right now. :P

For that matter I'd love to revive the Hebrew study group, and create a Classical Greek and Latin one eventually. :P :P
Maybe at least some of this can be for later this coming year.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-10, 22:01

I would join an Old English one, and possibly a Classical Greek one. I would have to get a Classical Greek resource though. Heck, who am I kidding...I would join a Latin one as well! :D
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-10, 22:33

I absolutely love the Reading Greek (JACT) and Reading Latin (Sidwell and Jones) courses myself. I have the old editions, but I can't imagine that much changed.

For Old English I love A Guide to Old English (i forget the author's name, but the publisher is Blackwell).

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-11-11, 12:13

I'm still interested in Hebrew, but I feel it would require more work than I'm ready to invest at the moment. Greek or Latin would probably be easier (considering that I had both at school for some years), so I might give it a try.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-11, 12:39

Well, luckily, I'm not thinking of starting any of these ideas yet. I'd like to try to get to the end of a textbook or two before doing anything new. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-11, 18:28

księżycowy wrote:For Old English I love A Guide to Old English (i forget the author's name, but the publisher is Blackwell).

I have that book; it's by Bruce Mitchell and Fred C. Robinson. I also have Teach Yourself Complete Old English (Anglo-Saxon). I'd probably be ok with either, though I tend to find more modern or newer books work better for me, for some reason. Perhaps it's a bias I have, but I find the overall flow of newer books easier to go through than older ones.

For Latin, I have Teach Yourself Latin, but it's an older edition. I'm not sure what year though.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-11, 18:32

dEhiN wrote:I have that book; it's by Bruce Mitchell and Fred C. Robinson. I also have Teach Yourself Complete Old English (Anglo-Saxon).

Which edition? I have the 6th edition. (Not that we would need matching editions, as they mostly just add new literature.)

For Latin, I have Teach Yourself Latin, but it's an older edition. I'm not sure what year though.

I used to have that text, but gave it away a few years ago.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-11, 19:15

Both books seem to be copyright 1986.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-11, 19:21

So, first edition of Mitchell and Robinson? Wow! :shock:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-11, 20:14

księżycowy wrote:So, first edition of Mitchell and Robinson? Wow! :shock:

No, it's fourth edition. It's a revised one with prose and text and glossary.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-11, 20:31

So it's not that far behind mine then, good. :)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 19:10

księżycowy wrote:So it's not that far behind mine then, good. :)

What edition is yours?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-12, 19:11

As I said a few posts ago, it's sixth edition. :)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-12, 19:53

księżycowy wrote:As I said a few posts ago, it's sixth edition. :)

I barely remember what I had for breakfast this morning!* How do you expect me to remember what you wrote a few posts ago?!

*Actually, I had French Toast, chicken or turkey bacon, banana (sliced up onto the French Toast) and maple syrup! It was quite delicious!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-12, 20:21

Kagami_facepalm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-15, 4:29

księżycowy wrote:Why do we have to keep going over things related to the tribes and cultures of the Pacific Northwest in class! :x

Out of curiosity, what class?
My week is all fucked up because we don't have classes on Friday (but we have a meeting in the morning), and I took today off so I could take my GRE. It feels like a Saturday. Kinda. :P

Wait, what? I thought you already had a master's. :?
Speaking of Taiwanese, anyone wanna do a Cantonese study group?

Of course, hon!
dEhiN wrote:I would join an Old English one, and possibly a Classical Greek one. I would have to get a Classical Greek resource though. Heck, who am I kidding...I would join a Latin one as well! :D

Me, too, to all of those. But you knew that already.
księżycowy wrote:For Old English I love A Guide to Old English (i forget the author's name, but the publisher is Blackwell).

I have that book; it's by Bruce Mitchell and Fred C. Robinson.

I have this as well.

I only have one from 1958. :P (I don't think it's the same TY series).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-15, 9:27

A little tarty to the party, Vijay? Allow me to clarify:

vijayjohn wrote:Out of curiosity, what class?

Wait, what? I thought you already had a master's. :?

Ok, so, I'm not taking any classes at the moment. You are very correct that I have a Master's. But I also work as a TA in a school, and that was the class i was referring to. It's a special ed classroom in the middle school. We're reading a book that talks a good little bit about Tlingit culture, and has some Tlingits as characters.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-15, 21:08

księżycowy wrote:A little tarty to the party, Vijay?

Tardy, yes. ;)
You are very correct that I have a Master's.

Then why the fuck did you have to take the GRE? Didn't you already have to take it in order to get into grad school before getting a Master's?

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”