The Translation Challenge / Käännöshaaste

Moderator:Naava

Mats Norberg
Re: The Translation Challenge / Käännöshaaste

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-09-04, 12:08

Mats Norberg wrote:Childhood fantasies swept through his mind then, and the thought occurred to him that this could very well be a ghost.

Silloin lapsuudenmielikuvitukset pyyhälsivät hänen päänsä kautta, ja hänen mieleensä juolahti ajatus, että tämä voisi hyvä olla kummitus.

Try this one:

"That happens frequently when you're an alchemist" , Senji replied. "You get used to it"." He laughed. "And you never knows what going to happen. One idiot actually turned glass into steel."

Mats

Mats Norberg

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-09-06, 15:40

Mats Norberg wrote:"That happens frequently when you're an alchemist" , Senji replied. "You get used to it"." He laughed. "And you never knows what going to happen. One idiot actually turned glass into steel."
Mats

"Sitä tapahtuu usein, kun on alkemisti", Senji vastasi. "Sinä totut siihen". Hän nauroi. "Ja sinä et koskaan tiedä, mitä tulee tapahtumaan. Eräs uuno oikeastaan muutti lasia teräkseksi."

Maybe this one will attract some more attension:

He wondered how much Cinhil really knew of his true identity. And he wondered if the thought had ever crossed Cinhil's mind that he might one day be called upon to assume his Haldane heritage and the crown of Gwynedd.

Mats

Mats Norberg

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-09-12, 11:56

Mats Norberg wrote:
He wondered how much Cinhil really knew of his true identity. And he wondered if the thought had ever crossed Cinhil's mind that he might one day be called upon to assume his Haldane heritage and the crown of Gwynedd.
Mats

Hän ihmetteli, paljonko Cinhil oikeastaan tiesi hänen oikeasta henkilöydestä. Ja hän ihmetteli, onko Cinhilin mieleen koskaan juolahtanut ajatus siitä, että hänet eräänä päivänä kutsutaan ottavan itselleen Haldanen perintö ja Gwyneddin kruunu.

Seuraava haaste:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- You can't be serious!

-- Deadly serious. You have to keep the infection confined to Mal Zeth, and the only way to do that is to prevent people from carrying the disease out of the city to other places. Her face was bleak.

-- And when I say to seal the city, Zakath, I mean totally. Nobody leaves.

-- I've got an empire to run, Polgara. I can't seal myself up here and just let it run itself. I have to get messages in and send orders out.

Mats Norberg

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-09-28, 13:35

Mats Norberg wrote:
Mats Norberg wrote:
Mats

-- You can't be serious!

-- Deadly serious. You have to keep the infection confined to Mal Zeth, and the only way to do that is to prevent people from carrying the disease out of the city to other places. Her face was bleak.

-- And when I say to seal the city, Zakath, I mean totally. Nobody leaves.

-- I've got an empire to run, Polgara. I can't seal myself up here and just let it run itself. I have to get messages in and send orders out.

-- Et kai ole tosissasi!

-- Kuolevan tosissani. Sinun täytyy pitää tartunta rajoitettu Mal Zeth:hen, ja ainoa keino siihen on estämässä ihmisiä kantamasta tartunta ulos kaupungista toisiin paikoihin. Hänen kasvonsa oli kalpea.

-- Ja kun sanon sulkee kaupungin, Zakath, aioin kokonaan. Ei kukaan lähde.

-- Minulla on valtakunta hallitakseni, Polgara. En voi pysyä täällä ja anna se hallita itseään. Minulla on saattava viestejä sisään ja lähetettävä määräyksiä ulos.

Mats Norberg

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-11-03, 18:15

Varislintu wrote:

The first challenge:

My name is X. I'm learning Finnish. This is my first translation.

Nimeni on X. Opiskelen suomea. Tämä on ensimmäinen käännökseni.
Last edited by Mats Norberg on 2018-11-03, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

Mats Norberg

Re:

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-11-03, 18:28

Varislintu wrote:
Alcadras wrote:Olen Mirac (or, 'minun nimeni on Mirac').Opiskelen suomea (with a capital it means Finland the country).Tämä on minun ensimmäinen käännökseni.

Next:

Over there is a car. It is yellow. I think it is a new car. I want it!

Tuolla on auto. Se on keltainen. Luulen sen olevan uusi auto. Haluan sen!

Mats Norberg

Re:

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-11-03, 18:33

Jonne wrote:Okay, translate this into English:

Kävelin hitaasti ylös. Ylhäällä näin siskoni nukkumassa nukke vieressään.

I went slowly upwards. Up there I saw my sister sleeping with a doll beside her.

Mats Norberg

Re:

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-11-03, 18:41

Varislintu wrote:
CoBB wrote:I slowly went upstairs. Up there I saw my sister sleeping with a doll at her side.

Very good :). Now:

"Olipa kerran joskus jossakin pieni kunigaskunta. Tämä kuningaskunta oli rauhallinen ja vauras paikka, jossa sadot olivat hyviä ja sää miellyttävä: talvet olivat lumisia eikä kesä ollut liian kuuma. Ruoho ja metsät olivat ihanan vihreitä ja järvissä ja joissa riitti kalaa. Taivaskin oli melkein aina sininen."

Once upon a time there was a small kingdom. This kingdom was a wealthy and calm place, where harvests where good and the weather pleasant: Winters were snowy and summers wasn't too hot. The grass and woods were wonderfully green and there was plenty of fish in the lakes. Even the sky was almost always blue.

Mats Norberg

Re:

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-11-03, 18:52

Varislintu wrote:
CoBB wrote:Once upon a time, there was a little kingdom somewhere, sometime. This kingdom was a peaceful and well-off place, where the yields were good and the weather pleasant: the winters were snowy and the the summer wasn't too hot either. The grass and the forests were beautifully green, and there was plenty of fish in the lakes and rivers. The sky was also almost always blue.

Although I do realise that in English the "sometime" doesn't really go very well together with "once upon a time", so it could be left out for that reason.

Impressive :)! (Though I know you always pretend to be worse at Finnish than you really are ;).)

In the next one I threw in a "casual verb". Who can spot it ;)?

"Kuningaskunnassa asui kuningas, jonka nimi oli Eerikki, ja kuningatar, jonka nimi oli Lainetar. Heillä ei ollut paljon tekemistä, sillä kuningaskunnassa meni niin hyvin, ettei heitä tarvittu. Päivästä toiseen kuningas ja kuningatar vain istuskelivat valtaistuimillaan ja söivät eksoottisia hedelmiä; mansikoita, appelsiineja, nektariineja, banaaneja ja ananaksia. Kerran viikossa kuningas ja kuningatar pitivät myös juhlat. Näihin juhliin tuli vieraita kaukaa."

In the kingdom lived a king, whos name was Eerikki, and a queen, whos name was Lainetar. The hadn't much to do, because affairs went so good, that no one needed them. Day after day the king and queen just sat on their thrones and ate exotic fruits; strawberries, oranges, nectarines, bananas and pineapple. One in a week the king and queen also gave a party. To these parties came guests from far away.

Mats Norberg

Re:

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-11-03, 18:59

Varislintu wrote:Well how about this one:

- What have you got in that bag?

- Four fish!

- They smell! Why do you have four fish in your bag!?

- I bought them in the store.

- Mitä sinulla on laukussasi?

- Neljä kalaa.

- Ne haisevat! Miksi sinulla on neljä kalaa laukussasi?

- Ostin ne kaupasta.

Mats Norberg

Re:

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-11-03, 19:08

Varislintu wrote:A dialogue this time:

-Excuse me!
-Yes?
-Can you tell me where the subway station is?
-The subway station? It is that way.
-Is it far there?
-No. You can walk there.
-Thank you very much.
-You're welcome.

-Anteeksi!
-Mitä?
-Voisitko kertoa minulle, missä metroasema on?
-Metroasema? Se on tuohon suuntaan.
-Onko se kaukana täältä?
-Ei. Voitko kävellä sinne.'
-Paljon kiitoksia!
-Ei se mitään.

Mats Norberg

Re:

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-11-03, 19:20

Varislintu wrote:
Egein wrote:However, King Eric and queen Lainetar were not happy. The people laughed at them, because the king was a very short man, and the queen was a very fat woman. In the streets of the cities, Eerikki was called "the pinguin", and Lainetar was called hippopotamus. Because of this, the king and queen had banned all pinguins and hippopotami from the whole kingdom and the zoos. Mentionning these animals aloud was also banned. The one who would brake the law would be thrown into prison.

I know it may seem like nitpicking to correct your "quite"s into "very"s, but I'd translate "hyvin" as "very" and "quite" as "jokseenkin" or "kovin" in this context. But naturally almost the same meaning is conveyed by "quite".

All three of you did a surprisingly good job, I thought the text was getting too difficult. Was it a good level or do you want even harder challenges :)?

Next:

This is my room. It's not big, but I like it. I have a big bed. On top of it are a lot of pillows. Over there is my (writing) desk. And right there is my bookcase. It is full of books. I have too many books. Do you agree? I also have a soft carpet. It's blue and white. I wonder if there is dust underneath it? Well, it doesn't matter.

Tämä on huoneeni. Se ei ole suuri, mutta pidän siitä. Minulla on iso sänky. Sen päällä on paljon tyynyjä. Tuolla on kirjoituspöytäni. Ja tuolla on kirjahyllyni. Se on täynnä kirjoja. Minulla on liian paljon kirjoja. Onko sinulla samaa mieltä? Minulla on myös pehmeä matto. Se on sininen ja Valkoinen. Ihmettelen onko siellä pölyä sen alla? Niin, se on yhdentekevää.

Mats Norberg

Re: Re:

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-11-03, 19:22

Mats Norberg wrote:
Varislintu wrote:
Egein wrote:However, King Eric and queen Lainetar were not happy. The people laughed at them, because the king was a very short man, and the queen was a very fat woman. In the streets of the cities, Eerikki was called "the pinguin", and Lainetar was called hippopotamus. Because of this, the king and queen had banned all pinguins and hippopotami from the whole kingdom and the zoos. Mentionning these animals aloud was also banned. The one who would brake the law would be thrown into prison.

I know it may seem like nitpicking to correct your "quite"s into "very"s, but I'd translate "hyvin" as "very" and "quite" as "jokseenkin" or "kovin" in this context. But naturally almost the same meaning is conveyed by "quite".

All three of you did a surprisingly good job, I thought the text was getting too difficult. Was it a good level or do you want even harder challenges :)?

Next:

This is my room. It's not big, but I like it. I have a big bed. On top of it are a lot of pillows. Over there is my (writing) desk. And right there is my bookcase. It is full of books. I have too many books. Do you agree? I also have a soft carpet. It's blue and white. I wonder if there is dust underneath it? Well, it doesn't matter.

Tämä on huoneeni. Se ei ole suuri, mutta pidän siitä. Minulla on iso sänky. Sen päällä on paljon tyynyjä. Tuolla on kirjoituspöytäni. Ja tuolla on kirjahyllyni. Se on täynnä kirjoja. Minulla on liian paljon kirjoja. Onko sinulla samaa mieltä? Minulla on myös pehmeä matto. Se on sininen ja Valkoinen. Ihmettelen onko siellä pölyä sen alla? Niin, on yhdentekevää.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-11-03, 19:52

Mats, could you edit the translations into one post rather than posting fifteen times in a row? I don't know if there's a limit for how long a post can be, but it'd look neater if your translations were in one place. You could also create your own thread if you want to do old translation challenges from this thread, and then you could add there your own translations from other sources, too. :) I could give you some challenges every now and then, too, if you wish!

Also, a suggestion: if you quote old posts like these without adding any comment that the original poster needs to see, you might want to remove the name of the poster in the [quote="name".] code. Otherwise Varislintu and others will have 15 notifications from quotes on this thread when they next log in.

Mats Norberg

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-11-03, 20:09

Naava wrote:Mats, could you edit the translations into one post rather than posting fifteen times in a row? I don't know if there's a limit for how long a post can be, but it'd look neater if your translations were in one place. You could also create your own thread if you want to do old translation challenges from this thread, and then you could add there your own translations from other sources, too. :) I could give you some challenges every now and then, too, if you wish!

Also, a suggestion: if you quote old posts like these without adding any comment that the original poster needs to see, you might want to remove the name of the poster in the [quote="name".] code. Otherwise Varislintu and others will have 15 notifications from quotes on this thread when they next log in.[/quote]

Okay I'm sorry.
I thought no one read this thread longer anyway so I just wrote for mr Noone.

Mats

Mats Norberg

Re:

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-11-03, 20:15

Eeva is a little girl. She is 5 years old. Yesterday was her birthday. Eeva has a big brother named Joni. Joni is seven. Eeva wanted for a present a beautiful black unicorn. She had dreamt about it. In the dream the unicorn's name was Sielu, and he had green eyes and a white horn. He said to Eeva that he wanted to be her friend. Eeva told Joni about her dream. Then she told her mother and her father. Joni thought it was really stupid. Who wants a horse for a present? He remembers his own birthday. It was two months ago. He had dreamt about a huge tiger. It was green and orange, and it's name was Karjuna. He-Man has a tiger that is the same. But Joni didn't say this to her sister. He had gotten an ordinary plastic tiger for his birthday, and his sister had gotten an ordinary plastic horse. But this morning, they had together painted their toys with black, orange and green paint, and they were almost as good as those that they had dreamt of.[/quote]

Eeva on pieni tyttö. Hän on viisi vuotta. Eilen oli hänen syntymäpäivänsä. Eevalla on isoveli nimeltä Joni. Joni on seitsemän. Eeva halusi lahjaksi kauniin mustan yksisarven. Hän oli nähnyt sen unessaan. Unessa yksisarven nimi oli Sielu, ja sillä oli vihreät silmät ja valkoinen sarvi. Se sanoi Eevalle haluavansa olla hänen ystävänsä. Eeva kertoi Jonille unestaan. Sitten hän kertoi äidilleen ja isälleen. Joni ajatteli, että se oli tosi typärä. Kuka haluaa hevosen lahjaksi? Hän muistaa oman syntymäpäivän. Se oli kaksi kuukautta sitten. Hän oli unelmoinut valtavasta tiikeristä, jonka nimi oli Karjuna. Se oli vihreä ja oranssi. He-Manilla on saman kaltaisen Tiikeri. Mutta Joni ei sanonut sitä siskollensa. Hän oli saanut tavallisen muovisen Tiikerin syntymälahjaksi, ja hänen siskonsa oli saanut tavallisen muovisen hevosen. Mutta tänä aamuna he olivat yhdessä maalaanneet lelunsa mustalla, oranssilla ja vihreällä maalilla, ja ne olivat melkein niin hyvä kuin ne, joita he olivat nähneet unissaan.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-11-03, 20:38

Yeah, the thread is really dead nowadays. :? I'm glad that at least you're still interested in translations! I'm keeping my thumbs up we will get new people here some day, and if that ever happens, the easier it is to find the last challenge post, the easier it is to join the game. That's why I asked you to edit your posts rather than sending a new one each time.

(Btw, your latest quote doesn't work: you need to keep [quote.] at the beginning or it'll appear as normal text.)

I have a few minutes to spare so let me give some comments on that quote:
Mats Norberg wrote:Eeva on pieni tyttö. Hän on viisi vuotta. Eilen oli hänen syntymäpäivänsä. Eevalla on isoveli nimeltä Joni. Joni on seitsemän. Eeva halusi lahjaksi kauniin mustan yksisarvisen. Hän oli nähnyt sen unessaan. Unessa yksisarvisen nimi oli Sielu, ja sillä oli vihreät silmät ja valkoinen sarvi. Se sanoi Eevalle haluavansa olla hänen ystävänsä. Eeva kertoi Jonille unestaan. Sitten hän kertoi äidilleen ja isälleen. Joni ajatteli, että se oli tosi typerä (uni). Kuka haluaa hevosen lahjaksi? Hän muistaa oman syntymäpäivänsä. Se oli kaksi kuukautta sitten. Hän oli unelmoinut valtavasta tiikeristä, jonka nimi oli Karjuna. Se oli vihreä ja oranssi. He-Manilla on samanlainen Tiikeri. Mutta Joni ei (sanonut) kertonut sitä siskollensa. Hän oli saanut tavallisen muovisen Tiikerin syntymäpäivälahjaksi, ja hänen siskonsa oli saanut tavallisen muovisen hevosen. Mutta tänä aamuna he olivat yhdessä maalaanneet lelunsa mustalla, oranssilla ja vihreällä maalilla, ja ne olivat melkein yhtä hyviä kuin ne, jotka he olivat nähneet unissaan.

Saman kaltainen = alike, but not exactly the same
Samanlainen = exactly the same

Syntymälahja = some "innate" skill, something you're naturally (exceptionally) good at ; or a gift given to a baby as it's born
Syntymäpäivälahja = birthday present

I'd also say "-- mustalla, oranssilla ja vihreällä maalilla, ja niistä/leluista tuli melkein yhtä hyviä niistä, jotka he olivat nähneet unessa/unissaan" or something like that, because otherwise "ne" could potentially refer to the paints and not to the toys.

Mats Norberg

Postby Mats Norberg » 2018-11-24, 17:16

Naava suggested that I should edit my latest posts into a single one because this is such an old thread. I see it unnecessary to wrap everything up. What's written is written but from here on I will post answers to old challenges in this single post. I don't expect anyone here will answer anyway but it's as a good exercise as anything else. I anyone however see this and want to correct some of these translations your welcome.

It's June. The sun is warming bare toes on the deck. Otto gazes dreamily out to the sea. Tens of boats are floating in the marina. All white and mahogany against the sparkling blue surface. Seagulls have surrounded the fishermen in the far end of the harbour. Greedily doing their best to catch an easy meal. Otto looses the ropes, hoists the main sail and sets his eyes on the horizon.

On kesäkuussa. Aurinko lämmittelee kannella olevalla paljaita varpaita. Otto tiirailee haaveellisesti avomerelle. Kymmeniä veneitä kelluu pienvenesatamassa. Kaikki on valkoinen ja mahonki kimaltevaa sinistä pintaa vasten. Lokit ympäröivät sataman toisessa päässä olevia kalastajia ja tekevät ahneesti parhaansa pyydystämään halvan aterian. Otto irrottaa köydet, nostaa isopurjeen ja kiinnittää katseensa taivaanrantaan.

The crow looked up in frustration. 'Partitive or plural, how on earth can you tell?' Surely it was a hard day, the kind of day packed with embarrassing questions. The audience was stunned; they had never witnessed such a tension before. Seconds were crawling at a snail's pace. After what seemed like an eternity, something happened in the avian soul. Her eyes started glittering as she finally pushed her pen against the parchment. She knew the answer. She enjoyed the moment of being the only one to know it... But it had to come to an end, just like every other time. The asker stared at the parchment in amazement. Yes, it was the magic crow—the crow that looked like Björk.

Varis nosti katseensa turhautuneena. Partitiivi vai monnikko, kuinka ihmeessä voisitko valita. Kyllä oli kova päivä, sen kaltainen päivä, joka on täynnä kiusallisiä kysymyksiä. Yleisö oli tyrmistynyt. Eivät koskaan ennen ne olleet todistaneet mokomaa jännitystä. Sekunnit kuluvat etanan tahdissa. Sen jälkeen, mikä näytti ikuisuudelta, jotakin tapahtui lintumaisessa sielussa. Hänen silmiinsä alkoivat kimallella, kun hän painoi kynänsä pergamenttiin. Hän tiesi vastauksen. Hän nautti sitä hetkeä, jolloin hän oli ainoa mikä tiesi. Mutta sen täytyi loppua, aivan kuin minkä tahansa toisen hetken. Kysyjä tuijotti pergamenttia yllättyneenä. Kyllä se oli maaginen varis, Björkin näköinen varis.

- Hey!
- What?
- You are driving badly!
- I know how to drive!
- You do not know how to drive!
- I do. So be quiet.
- I'm trying to help you.
- That doesn't help me.
- Well, sorry then.
- That's allright.

- Hei!
- Mitä?
- Ajat huonosti!
- Kyllä tiedän miten ajetaan.
- Etpäs tiedä!
- Tiedänpäs! Suu kiinni!
- Yritän auttaa sinua.
- Ei se auta.
- Noo, anteeksi.
- Ei se mitään.

- You are pretty weird!
- What?
- I said that you are pretty weird.
- How so?
- I saw you in the restaurant yesterday.
- And?
- I saw what you were eating.
- Is that so?
- Yes. You ate a salad with bananas and tomatoes, and you put strawberry jam on it.
- That was not me.
- It was you and you are very weird!
- So what!? I'm allowed to be weird if I want to!
- ..?
- I like weird people.
- ..!?
- I, too, like salad that has bananas and tomatoes. But I put raspberry jam on it.
- Raspberry jam!?
- Yes.
- You weird person!

- Olet aika outo.
- Mitä?
- Sanoin, että olet aika outo.
- Millä tavalla?
- Näin sinut eilen ravintolassa.
- Entä sitten?
- Näin, mitä söit.
- Niinkö?
- Kyllä. Söin salaattia, banaanien ja tomaattikastikkeen kanssa, ja panit mansikkahilloa päälle.
- Tuo ei ollut minä.
- Kyllä olit, ja olit tosi outo.
- Entä sitten? Saan olla outo, minkä haluat.
- Pidän oudoista ihmisistä.
- Pidän minäkin, kuten salaatista banaanien ja tomaattikastikkeen kanssa. Mutta panen vadelmahilloa päälle.
- Vadelmahilloa?
- Kyllä.
- Oletpas outo jätkä!

-Hello!
-Good day!
-What is your name?
-My name is Matti Heinonen.
-Are you Finnish?
-Yes, I'm Finnish.
-Do you live in Finland?
-Yes, I do.
-In which city do you live?
-In Vaasa.
-Do you like Vaasa?
-Vaasa is very beautiful, but it is also small.
-Do you like small cities?
-No, I like big cities more. In Finland there aren't many big cities.

- Hei!
- Päivää!
- Mikä nimesi on?
- Nimeni on Matti Heinonen.
- Oletko Suomalainen?
- Olen.
- Asutko Suomessa?
- Asun.
- Missä kaupungissa asut?
- Vaasasa.
- Pidätkö Vaasasta?
- Vaasa on todella kaunis, mutta myös pieni.
- Pidätkö pienistä kaupungista?
- Ei kun pidän suurista kaupungista. Suomessa suuria kaupunkeja ei ole paljon.

An old woman is walking on the empty street. She has a small, angry dog. The dog barks at everyone. But now it [the dog] is quiet, because the street is empty. No one else is there.

Vanha nainen kävelee tyhjää katua pitkin. Hänellä on pieni vihainen koira. Koira haukkuu kaikille, mutta tänään se on vaiti, koska katu on tyhjillään.
Siellä ei ole ketään muuta.

Mika wakes up every morning at 7 o'clock. He quickly drinks a cup of coffee and eats a fruit. Today he eats a banana. Then he runs out of his house (he puts his clothes on first). Mika doesn't have a car, so he goes to work by bus. His neighbour always sees him running to the bus stop, because Mika is always a little late.

Mika herää joka aamuna kello seitsemältä. Hän nopeasti juo kupin kahvia ja syö hedelmän. Tänään hän syö banaanin. Sitten hän juoksee talosta ulos (ennen sitä hän pukeutuu). Mikalla ei ole autoa, joten hän kulkee bussilla töihin. Hänen naapurinsa aina näkee hänen juoksevan bussipysäkille, koska hän on aina vähän myöhässä.

"I had thought about sending a complaint to them many times. This was simply not working. It was ridiculous, that a minor rule like this was the only thing between me and the end result. I felt my hands were tied. Their stubbornness against my stubbornness, and no solution in sight."

"Olen ajatellut lähettää heille valituksen monta kertaa. Tämä yksinkertaisesti ei toiminut. Oli narettavaa, että niin mitätön sääntö kuin tämä oli ainoa asia, joka oli minun ja lopputuloksen välillä. Minusta tuntui kuin käteni olivat sidotut. Heidän jääräpäisyys minun jääräpäisyyttäni vastaan, eikä ratkaisuakaan edes ollut näkyvissä."

Niina could have sworn she had been in this situation before. Everything was so familiar. This had happened before, somewhere. Maybe that was why she couldn't get a word out of her mouth, even if it would have been so important for her to speak. At that little moment, there were words that could have changed everything. But she didn't say them. And without pity as always, time moved past that moment, and it was gone.

Niina olisi vannonut olleensa tässä tilanteessa ennen. Kaikki oli niin tuttu. Tämä oli tapahtunut ennen jossakin. Ehkä se oli syytä, miksi hän ei saanut sanaa suustaan, vaikka olisi ollut niin tärkeää sanoa jotakin. Siinä vaiheessa oli sanoja, jotka olisivat muuttaneet kaiken, mutta hän jätti niitä sanomatta. Ilman armoa, kuten aina, aika eteni sen hetken ohi, jolloin kaikki oli pilassa.

I didn't like the way the store clerk was smiling at me. Yes, I wanted a rabbit, but not any kind of rabbit. I wanted a rabbit that left other rabbits in its shadow. A rabbit that my friends would talk about even after 10 years. But the clerk didn't look like he understood me. And when he took me to the rabbitcages at the back of the pet shop, it was clear. He was an idiot, no smarter than his stupid, ordinary rodents.

En pitännyt siitä tavasta, millä myyjä hymyili minulle. Kyllä halusin kanin, muttei mitä tahansa kania. Halusin kanin, joka ei ollut kenenkään toisen kanin vertainen. Kani, josta ystäväni puhuisivat vielä 10 vuoden kuluttua. Mutta myyjä ei vaikutti ymmärtävän minua, ja kun he toi minut kaupan perukalla olevilla kanihäkkeille, kaikki kävi ilmi. Hän oli ääliö, eikä yhtään fiksumpaa kuin hänen tavallisia jyrsijöitään.

The tulips were yellow, and there were a lot of them. When I was walking along the path among the flowers, there were many things I thought about. Maybe I wasn't doing justice to the colourful sea of plants around me. They were all looking up at the blue sky like it was the last time they would ever see it, and perhaps it was. I, a different kind of creature, didn't even glance up. My head was too full of ponderings about other creatures like myself, to be impressed by that mundane work of art.

Tulipaanit olivat keltaisia, ja niitä oli paljon. Kävelessäni polkua pitkin, kukkien seassa ajattelin monista asioista. Ehkä en oikein kunnioitanut sitä värikästä kukkamerta, joka ympäröi minua. Ne kaikki näkivät sinistä taivasta kohti, aivan kuin olisiko se viimeinen kerta ne koskaan vielä näkisivät sen, ja ehkä olisikin. Minä, aivan erilaatuinen elukka, en edes vilkaissut ylös. Pääni oli liian täynnä pohtimista muista olentoista, kuten itse, tullakseni tuon arkisen taideteoksen vaikuttavaksi.

"The Seakiss" was a huge ship, and Maria was nervous about the thought that she would be spending four weeks on it. The first day of the journey she had walked back and forth on the deck, looking at the grey sea and the grey sky. She had had fun. But after that she got seasick, and stayed in her cabin. Greenfaced and weak, she layed in her bed and cursed the day that she had decided to travel at all.

"Merisuukko" oli valtava alus, ja Maria oli huolissaan siitä, että hän joutuisi viettämään siinä neljä viikkoa. Ensimmäisenä päivänä reissusta hän oli kävelleet edestakaisin kannessa katsomassa vihreätä merta ja harmaata taivasta. Mutta sen jälkeen hän oli sairastunut meritautiin, ja jäänyt hyttiinsä.
Vihreäkasvoisena ja heikkona hän oli maannut sängyssään ja kironnut sitä päivää, jolloin hän ylimalkaan oli päättänyt matkustaa.

The little child was humming Christmas songs. It was sitting on the floor, in the middle of a sea of wrapping paper. Its hands went back and forth, because it was stuffing its mouth full of chocolates. Chubby cheeks and fingers, covered with brown chocolate stains. The box of chocolates in front of the child was almost empty. Content munching was heard from the room.

Pieni lapsi hymisi joululauluja. Hän istui lattiassa, keskellä merta kääröpapereita. Hänen kätensä kulkivat edestakaisin, koska hän pani suuhunsa täyteen suklaata, pyöreät posket ja sormet ruskean suklaatahrojen peitossa. Lapsen edessä oleva suklaalaatikko oli melkein tyhjä. Huoneesta kuului tyytyväisiä maiskutuksia.

The pen is in my bag. I take it out of the bag, because I need it. I need it for my homework. The pen falls from my hand to the floor. It rolls away, under my bookcase. I reach under the bookcase. I feel something, and pull it out. It is a pen, but it is a different pen. The pen I dropped was blue. This one is red. I lean over and try to look under the bookcase. It is dark there. I cannot see anything. I look at the red pen. I think I lost it two weeks ago. Suddenly, I can hear a rustle from under the bookcase. Something small seems to move in the shadows. "Hey!" I say. "This is the wrong pen". Then I throw the red pen back under the bookcase. I wait. After a little while, the blue pen rolls out. I hear a low murmur. "That's okay", I answer. With blue pen in hand I start my homework.

Kynä on laukussani. Otan kynän laukusta, koska tarvitsen sen kotityötäni varten. Kynä putoaa kädestäni lattiaan. Se vierii pois kirjakaapin alle. Kurkotan vetääkseni kynän kirjakaapin alta. Se on kynä, mutta eri kynä. Putoamani kynä oli sininen. Tämä on punainen. Kummarrun yrittääkseni katsoa kirjakaapin alta. Siellä on pimeää, eikä mitään näy. Katson punaista kynää. Luulen hukanneeni sen kaksi viikkoa sitten. Äkkiä kuulen rapinan kirjakaapin alta. Jokin pieni vaikuttaa liikkuvan varjoissa. "Hei" sanoin. "Tämä on väärä kynä". Sitten heitän punaisen kynän takaisin kirjakaapin alle. Odotan. Lyhyen hetken kuluttua sininen kynä vierii ulos. Kuulen matalan muminan. "Ei se mitään", vastaan. Sininen kynä kädessäni alan kotitytäni.

Jaakko bought a new jacket yesterday. It is green. He likes it very much.

Jaakko osti eilen uuden vihreän takin. Hän pitää tuosta paljon.

Maija has always wanted to play the piano. She can't even read musical notes, though. As a determined girl, however, she intends to go to music lessons every week.

Maija on aina hallunnut soittaa pianoa. Hän ei edes osaa lukea nuottikirjoitusta. Määrätietoisena tyttönä hän aikoo kuitenkin käydä musiikkitunnissa joka viikossa.

It's a very stormy day today. The sky is grey and it's raining. A squirrel sits on a tree branch with paws hidden deep in its fur. The wind bends branches and water drops fly here and there.

On oikein myrskyinen päivä. Taivas on harmaa ja sataa vettä. Orava istuu puunoksalla käpälät syvälle turkinsa painattuina. Tuuli taivuttaa oksat ja vesipisarat lentävät sinne ja tänne.

My floor is sticky because I dropped a jar or lotion and the contents spread everywhere.

Lattiani on tahmainen, koska putosin tölkin voidetta, ja sen sisältö levisi kaikkialle.

I failed my exam because I started reading the book only the day before it.

Reputin tutkinnossani, koska aloitin kirjan lukemisen vain kaiksi päivää ennen tutkintoa.

I had the flu so I stayed at home for seven days and listened to the radio.

Olin sairaana flunssassa, joten jäin kotiin seitsemäksi viikoksi kuuntelemassa radiota.

She told me she didn't want to have anything to do with that crime.

Hän kertoi minulle, ettei halunnut olla mitään tekemistä sen rikoksen kanssa.

I wonder if it's wise to do that sort of thing.

Ihmettelen, onko tästä teosta mitään järkeä.

suruvaippa

Postby suruvaippa » 2019-01-13, 16:21

I'll give this a go but as a non-native speaker, so take these suggestions with a few generous packets of salt. I can't do all of these all at once right away so I'll edit this post gradually as I work on it.

Mats Norberg wrote:Naava suggested that I should edit my latest posts into a single one because this is such an old thread. I see it unnecessary to wrap everything up. What's written is written but from here on I will post answers to old challenges in this single post. I don't expect anyone here will answer anyway but it's as a good exercise as anything else. I anyone however see this and want to correct some of these translations your welcome.

It's June. The sun is warming bare toes on the deck. Otto gazes dreamily out to the sea. Tens of boats are floating in the marina. All white and mahogany against the sparkling blue surface. Seagulls have surrounded the fishermen in the far end of the harbour greedily doing their best to catch an easy meal. Otto loosens the ropes, hoists the main sail and sets his eyes on the horizon.

On kesäkuussa. Aurinko lämmittelee kannella olevalla paljaita varpaita kannella. Otto tiirailee katselee avomerta haaveellisena. Kymmeniä veneitä kelluu pienvenesatamassa. Kaikki on valkoista ja mahonkia kimaltavan sinistä pintaa vasten*. Lokit ympäröivät (tai: ovat ympäröineet) kalastajat sataman toisessa päässä (tai: toisessa päässä satamaa) olevia kalastajia ja tekevät ahneesti parhaansa pyydystämään halvan aterian*. Otto irrottaa köydet, nostaa isopurjeen ja kiinnittää katseensa taivaanrantaan.

* "sinisenä kimaltavaa pintaa vasten" also works in place of the above. * If you don't mind my deviating from a verbatim translation of the English text somewhat, I'd personally write the sentence as "Sataman toisessa päässä parvi ahneita lokkeja ympäröi kalastajat ja pyrkii näpistämään halvan aterian". I'm not sure whether pyydystää works for fish already caught by the fishermen.

The crow looked up in frustration. 'Partitive or plural, how on earth can you tell?' Surely it was a hard day, the kind of day packed with embarrassing questions. The audience was stunned; they had never witnessed such a tension before. Seconds were crawling at a snail's pace. After what seemed like an eternity, something happened in the avian soul. Her eyes started glittering as she finally pushed her pen against the parchment. She knew the answer. She enjoyed the moment of being the only one to know it... But it had to come to an end, just like every other time. The asker stared at the parchment in amazement. Yes, it was the magic crow—the crow that looked like Björk.

Varis nosti katseensa (tai: katsoi ylös) turhautuneena. Partitiivi vai monnikko, kuinka ihmeessä voisitko valita kuinka/miten ihmeessä sen tietää? Kyllä oli kova rankka päivä, sen kaltainen päivä sellainen, joka on oli täynnä kiusallisiä kysymyksiä. Yleisö oli tyrmistynyt, he eivät koskaan ennen ne olleet todistaneet* nähneet mokomaa moista jännitystä. Sekunnit kuluivat etanan tahdissa etanavauhtia. Sen jälkeen, mikä näytti ikuisuudelta, Tuntui kuin olisi kulunut ikuisuus, ennen kuin tapahtui jotakin lintumaisessa sielussa linnunsielussa*. Hänen silmänsä alkoivat kimallella, kun hän painoi kynänsä pergamenttiin. Hän tiesi vastauksen. Hän nautti siitä hetkestä, jolloin hän* oli ainoa, mikä joka tiesi. Mutta sen täytyi loppua päättyä, aivan niin kuin minkä tahansa toisen hetken jokainen kerta ennenkin oli päättynyt. Kysyjä tuijotti pergamenttia yllättyneenä. Kyllä, se tämä oli se* maaginen varis, se* Björkin näköinen varis.

* I might be wrong, but as far as I understand, the translation of "to witness" as "todistaa" refers to the witnessing of a certain event or other thing happening, as opposed to a general state or feeling as described here. * "Lintumainen sielu" means something like "bird-like soul", as in a soul resembling an actual bird in some manner. * It's not necessary (although not prohibited either) to repeat the nominative subject of a verb when no other subject has been introduced since the previous mention. * "se maaginen varis" translates to "the magical crow", one that is already known to the subject, as implied in the original English text; while "maaginen varis" by itself translates to "a magical crow" without any allusion whether or not the subject has seen or heard of said crow before.

My floor is sticky because I dropped a jar or lotion and the contents spread everywhere.

Lattiani on tahmainen, koska putosin tölkin voidetta pudotin voidepurkin/purkillisen voidetta ja sen sisältö levisi kaikkialle.

I failed my exam because I started reading the book only the day before it.

Reputin tutkinnossani kokeen/tutkinnon*, koska aloitin kirjan lukemisen vain kaiksi päivää ennen tutkintoa vasta edellisenä päivänä.

* I'm not completely sure what the difference between koe and tutkinto is, other than tutkinto also being able to mean a larger collective unit of studies, maybe someone else can fill us in on this one.

I had the flu so I stayed at home for seven days and listened to the radio.

Olin sairaana flunssassa Sairastelin flunssaa, joten jäin kotiin seitsemäksi viikoksi päiväksi kuuntelemassa ja kuuntelin* radiota.

* If you want to use the 3rd infinitive contruction here, the case of the infinitive is dictated by the preceding verb, in this case "jäin kotiin... ...kuuntelemaan".

She told me she didn't want to have anything to do with that crime.

Hän kertoi minulle, ettei halunnut olla missään tekemisissä sen rikoksen kanssa.

I wonder if it's wise to do that sort of thing.

Ihmettelen, onko sellaisessa teossa* mitään järkeä.

* In an informal context, "sellaisessa hommassa" (or "moisessa hommassa") would probably be a more common way to say this.
Last edited by suruvaippa on 2019-01-13, 22:31, edited 2 times in total.
(en-us) native, (fi) advanced, (smi-sme) (smi-sms) (et) working on, (lt) (es) forgetting
(smi-sma) (liv) (ka) (eu) (nv) (ru) (sw) eventually...

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”