TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: TAC 2017-2018 dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-19, 19:02

księżycowy wrote:Nope!

You're such a taskmaster! Perhaps a regime change is in order? :hmm: Vive la révolution!
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-19, 21:39

I just demand the same excellence from others that I do of myself.

But seriously, I'm just glad a few of you are participating in the Powwow. The NAIL subforum would be pretty much dead otherwise.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-26, 22:15

I figure I should write a quick update on here for anyone who's following this but not the General Thread in the NAIL forum. I'm not so sure I'm going to do Ojibwe anymore. In fact, I'm fairly certain I won't. Salajane decided to do Greenlandic for this year's PowWow, and that sparked my wanderlust for it. I've always been more interested in Greenlandic than Ojibwe. But as we were chatting in the General Thread, księżycowy found and shared an online resource to learn Inuktitut. I also found an online resource (that's in English) to learn Greenlandic. So now, I'm trying to decide between Greenlandic, Inuktitut and Ojibwe.

The Canadian in me says I should try and learn a NAIL native to Canada, which would mean Inuktitut or Ojibwe. I think Inuktitut, being in the same family as Greenlandic, fascinates me more than Ojibwe. However, Ojibwe is the NAIL (most likely) native to where I actually live. But, between the three, Greenlandic calls out to me the most. I think perhaps the compromise between what fascinates and interests me and the thinking that I should try and learn a NAIL native to Canada is Inuktitut. Anyway, I still have until November 1 to make a decision. :D
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-26, 22:21

I just realized I never wrote out my study goals for this week! They are all the goals from the three study groups I'm in - Tamil Study Group, French Study Group, and Sumerian Study Group.

Weekly Goals:

French
  • Go through the lessons La maison, Les vêtements, Le travail et la famille, and Vocabulaire : la géographie of "Apprendre le français avec TV5Monde" - due by Oct 27

Tamil
  • Go through Lessons 1-6 of தமிழ் பாடநூல் - due by Oct 27

Sumerian
  • Review Lesson 1 (pp. 16-26) of "An Introduction to the Grammar of Sumerian" - due by Oct 27

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-28, 6:45

Update time:

It's currently 2 am where I am, so I'm going to write a quick update and then plan out this week's goals once I get some sleep!

French
  • Go through the lessons La maison, Les vêtements, Le travail et la famille, and Vocabulaire : la géographie of "Apprendre le français avec TV5Monde"

Tamil
  • Go through Lessons 1-6 of தமிழ் பாடநூல்

Sumerian
  • Review Lesson 1 (pp. 16-26) of "An Introduction to the Grammar of Sumerian"

I didn't get a chance to do the Tamil Study group assignment unfortunately. I scheduled it for Saturday (Oct. 27), but then the day got away from me. My girlfriend and I headed out to a mall and got home pretty late. I'm going to try and do those lessons today when I wake up.

There's a part of me that wants to just start a whole bunch of languages - to pick one online or offline resource for whatever language I have a hankering for and just do it. Even if I don't finish the resource, I want to just try and see if I can handle studying all the languages I want to actually learn. I tried that back in 2014 - I picked 20 languages, but then after like a month, I stopped. It's now 4 years later, and I'm more skilled at learning/studying languages. I have so many languages I'm interested in learning (and by learning I don't necessarily mean to a high or even intermediate level; it could be just learning some basics and that's it), that I'm not sure I want to limit myself anymore, like I have up to now.

Also, regarding the NAIL PowWow, I'm thinking of doing both Inuktut* and Greelandic. They are considered dialects on a dialect continuum, so there might be some similarity that will aide me and/or confuse me, but I think I should be alright.

*Apparently, the Government of Nunavut decided to group all the Inuit dialects spoken in Nunavut under the term Inuktut - which would include Inuktitut (itself further broken down into sub-dialects) and Inuinnaqtun. However, from what I could determine, the site I'm going to use has lessons in the South Qikiqtaaluk dialect (of what I presume would be Inuktitut).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-28, 9:40

dEhiN wrote:There's a part of me that wants to just start a whole bunch of languages - to pick one online or offline resource for whatever language I have a hankering for and just do it. Even if I don't finish the resource, I want to just try and see if I can handle studying all the languages I want to actually learn. I tried that back in 2014 - I picked 20 languages, but then after like a month, I stopped. It's now 4 years later, and I'm more skilled at learning/studying languages. I have so many languages I'm interested in learning (and by learning I don't necessarily mean to a high or even intermediate level; it could be just learning some basics and that's it), that I'm not sure I want to limit myself anymore, like I have up to now.

This interests me. I'm curious to see what happens and how you go about doing it.

Also, I've decided to join the Sumerian study group after all. As I already have, what, 6 languages on my plate, I intend to only use the study group to gain some exposure to Sumerian that I can (hopefully) recall when I get around to seriously studying the language.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-29, 18:44

księżycowy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:There's a part of me that wants to just start a whole bunch of languages - to pick one online or offline resource for whatever language I have a hankering for and just do it. Even if I don't finish the resource, I want to just try and see if I can handle studying all the languages I want to actually learn. I tried that back in 2014 - I picked 20 languages, but then after like a month, I stopped. It's now 4 years later, and I'm more skilled at learning/studying languages. I have so many languages I'm interested in learning (and by learning I don't necessarily mean to a high or even intermediate level; it could be just learning some basics and that's it), that I'm not sure I want to limit myself anymore, like I have up to now.

This interests me. I'm curious to see what happens and how you go about doing it.

I'll keep you posted (and everyone else, since it'll be on here :D). I'm still deciding on whether to go for it. The key for me will be not letting myself feel pressured into changing my motivation and reason for studying whatever languages I go with. I guess ones like French, Tamil, and Spanish will be an exception since I do desire to become somewhat fluent in them eventually (in both oral and written communication). But for any others, I want to just satiate any interest I have, akin to sampling a dish from a buffet.

księżycowy wrote:Also, I've decided to join the Sumerian study group after all. As I already have, what, 6 languages on my plate, I intend to only use the study group to gain some exposure to Sumerian that I can (hopefully) recall when I get around to seriously studying the language.

Great to have you on board!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-30, 20:49

Once again, I forgot to write out my weekly goals. Anyway, for this week, I'm still sticking with just the 3 study groups.

Weekly Goals:

French
  • Go through list of French resources Vijay suggested and pick 3 favourites in order - due by Nov 3

Tamil
  • Go through Lessons 1-6 of தமிழ் பாடநூல் - due by Nov 3
  • Write out the new vocab from Tamil Study Group post in language notebook - due by Nov 3

Sumerian
  • Go through Lesson 2: Introductory Paragraph & Section 2.1 "The Consonants" of An Introduction to the Grammar of Sumerian - due by Nov 3

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-30, 20:56

Until I convince you to join the Polish, German or Irish one that is. :twisted:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-31, 4:34

księżycowy wrote:Until I convince you to join the Polish, German or Irish one that is. :twisted:

Considering that I've already tried a wee bit of German and Polish in the past, plus they're both now on my language list (as languages I want to learn), and Irish fits neither category, I think you'll have better luck convincing me to join Polish or German.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-31, 5:03

I've been meaning to write a post about the languages I'm considering studying just to satiate my interest. If you take a look at my profile, I've added pretty much any language I have (either ever had or still have) an interest in studying. However, I'm not planning to start all those languages at once. Some of them I still want to study, but sometime in the future.

As for now, I want to definitely do the 3 languages I've decided to do for the NAIL PowWow - Inuktitut (or Inuktut), Greenlandic and Ojibwe. I have websites for all three, so I'm going to use those. The plan for these 3 languages, and any others I start now, will be to pick just one online or offline resource to work through, and I'll probably do it in a rotation like Vijay does with his TAC. The exceptions to this will be French, Tamil and Sumerian, which I'll be doing weekly assignments in as part of the study groups on here. The other exception will be Spanish, which I'll get to.

A few nights ago, as I was falling asleep, I came up with a list in my head of languages I want to do, but of course I forget it now. Let me see if I can try to recreate it. I think I had Finnish, Icelandic, possibly Swedish, possibly Welsh, possibly Cornish or Breton, either one of Hittite/Gothic/Elamite, Maori, Samoan, Tokelauan, Rapa Nui, Hawaiian, Catalan, possibly Occitan, possibly Asturian, possibly Indonesian, possibly Malayalam, and of course Inuktitut, Greenlandic, and Ojibwe. So, that's a first draft. I definitely have a strong desire to do at least two Polynesian languages. I also want to do another ancient language. One challenge for most of these languages (if I do them) will be selecting a resource for them.

Now, about Spanish...and Portuguese. After much consideration, I've decided to drop Portuguese from my languages for now. I'm not going to actively or passively study it. The reason is that I want to focus on Spanish and get it to a high intermediate level. I'm sure I will still read the odd Portuguese tweet or meme that show up on my social media accounts, but if I start forgetting my Portuguese, so be it. However, I need to figure out what to do about Spanish. Saim suggested that I not use a didactic resource since my level is A1/A2. He suggested that I use native resources to build vocabulary and other things like looking up and writing out verb conjugations to practice the grammar. Considering that I want to one day become fluent-ish in Spanish, perhaps it's time I start regularly practicing by writing more in Spanish on here?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-31, 5:46

dEhiN wrote:Considering that I've already tried a wee bit of German and Polish in the past, plus they're both now on my language list (as languages I want to learn), and Irish fits neither category, I think you'll have better luck convincing me to join Polish or German.

Ok, so what's it gonna take for you to join one of those two?

Or better yet, both!

(Though I seem to remember you once expressing interest in Irish, and attempting to start it. :whistle: )

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-10-31, 11:26

dEhiN wrote:I will still read the odd Portuguese tweet or meme that show up on my social media accounts
OH, when it happens, retweet it so I can see! :)
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-31, 22:09

księżycowy wrote:Ok, so what's it gonna take for you to join one of those two?

Or better yet, both!

(Though I seem to remember you once expressing interest in Irish, and attempting to start it. :whistle: )

Yeah, well, expressing interest in and even attempting to start something are both different from actually doing a little bit of something. To be honest, I'm not sure I have enough interest right now for either of Polish or German, and I find myself more drawn to the Brythonic Celtic languages over the Goidelic ones. (Also, even within the Goidelic languages, currently Manx and then Scottish pique my interest more than Irish!) Plus, did you read my list?! If I go don't make any significant changes, then I'll be doing throwing myself into Polynesia, with some Brythonic, Romance, and a smattering of ancient languages as well as Uralic and Germanic added for flavour.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-31, 22:32

I probably did, but lists are only good for one thing: going off list. :P

I took a shot, sue me.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-31, 23:16

księżycowy wrote:I took a shot, sue me.

Ok, expect my subpeona in the mail...

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-31, 23:17

Try and catch me! I'll run to Canada!

Oh, wait.....

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-02, 22:06

księżycowy wrote:Try and catch me! I'll run to Canada!

Oh, wait.....

I'll be waiting, wherever you run to...

So I wrote out in an Evernote note the first draft of the languages I'm thinking to study:
► Show Spoiler

I also gave it some more thought and came up with a second draft:
► Show Spoiler

I forgot in my first draft to include Japanese, Indonesian and Hindi - all of which I'm somewhat interested in studying. I'm working away at whittling this down. Even though the plan is to rotate through the list and focus (for now) on just picking a resource and going through it, I also don't want to start too many languages at once. I also might need to decide whether to restart using Anki to help retain some of the new vocabulary I'll be learning. A lot of it will depend, I think, on how many languages I do, i.e., how big the rotation is, which will determine how much time there is between doing say lesson 1 and lesson 2 of any given language.

I have the beginnings of a third (and possibly final) draft going, where I've decided to drop Ojibwe - so only do Inuktitut and Greenlandic for the NAIL PowWow - as well as Swedish and Icelandic, but keep Gothic and two of the three Polynesian languages. Most likely I will keep Samoan and Maori, although I am sorely tempted to just do all three. I might add Japanese because lately I've been hankering to restart my Japanese studies. I also was thinking to not do Catalan, as much as I want to and have been wanting to for a while. I'm dropping one Romance language; I don't think it makes sense to add another one.

Edit: I forgot to add that I'm also debating about doing a Celtic language right now, or waiting. And if I do one now, whether I want to do Welsh or Cornish.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-02, 22:25

Do you know about the KDL course for Cornish? I've toyed with the idea of going through it myself.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-04, 15:48

I read your FB post a week or so ago about the term Eskimo and thought I'd share a few things:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... say-eskimo

https://www.uaf.edu/anlc/resources/inuit-eskimo/

I also saw something else posted from a Yupik point of view. I'll have to see if I can dig it up. I was meaning to do this when I saw your post, but I got a little side-tracked. :P

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”