2018 blog - księżyc

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: 2018 blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-16, 0:16

Suffice it to say, I'm hanging on to my Anki decks, just in case, but I'm going to play around with various ideas.

I might even go old school and write out vocabulary words a bunch of times, like my old German professor recommended. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-16, 0:21

I could see that working. I can't recall at all how I learned my French vocab back in grade school, but I think for my uni Koine Greek 101 class, I just read over and over the words from my notebook. I probably even covered up the one column, and tested myself: all old-school methods before SRS!
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-16, 0:31

That was more or less my first thought, looking over the vocab lists in the textbook and then quizzing myself. The only textbook I see that not easily working for (and hell, maybe it will for all I know!) is German.

Why stick with one method, of that matter? See what works best for which language.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-16, 1:49

Good point!
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-16, 15:10

Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!

Why do we have to keep going over things related to the tribes and cultures of the Pacific Northwest in class! :x

I'm very tempted by Salish and Tlingit right now!
Last edited by księżycowy on 2018-10-16, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-10-16, 15:17

księżycowy wrote:-I'm temporarily changing my focus with German only to reading, for obvious reasons. To that end, I've also acquired a copy of German Quickly by April Wilson.

Oh wow, that's a name I haven't heard in a while. She used to regularly advertise her German for reading class at my alma mater. I never used her textbook though.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-16, 15:22

Sounds about right. I remember seeing she was affiliated with the University of Chicago.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-23, 22:32

So, I didn't have a screen for about a week, so I've been working off of my phone for that length of time (hence my infrequent and rather short responses over that time). I'm happy to report that I have a new computer screen, so I'm back up to working order.

I realize that the week is quickly coming to an end, but I hope to post an update and goals by tomorrow.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-10-24, 0:34

księżycowy wrote:
I realize that the week is quickly coming to an end, but I hope to post an update and goals by tomorrow.

It's only Tuesday! :lol: Or did you mean month instead?

I've been going around all day thinking it's Thursday and not Tuesday, so I guess it feels like the week is almost over to me. :whistle:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-24, 9:07

Well, I usually post my updates and goals on Sundays, so I've lost a few days. Three by now. :P

Not that it really matters what day I post updates and goals on. :lol:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-25, 0:01

ceid donn wrote:I've been going around all day thinking it's Thursday and not Tuesday, so I guess it feels like the week is almost over to me. :whistle:

Don't worry, this week I've kept thinking it's a day ahead than it actually it. On Monday I thought it was Tuesday, and on Tuesday, I thought it was Wednesday, and of course I thought today (Wednesday) was Thursday! It could be because my girlfriend's parents went away on Sunday for a week for vacation so we've had the house to ourselves all week.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-25, 10:38

My week is all fucked up because we don't have classes on Friday (but we have a meeting in the morning), and I took today off so I could take my GRE. It feels like a Saturday. Kinda. :P

Anyway, update time!

So I've mostly been doing some work out of German Quickly. My Japanese has been on hold, and I haven't touched Cayuga or Aleut yet at all. But considering that my focus has been on my GRE and getting things in line for my application to university, I'll give myself a free pass.

I always seem to get frustrated with my heritage languages. Either I'm not doing any of them, or I feel I'm doing the wrong one, etc. So I've decided to try to work on all three of them in some fashion.

My focus will remain German, cause I feel that's the easiest language to bump up relatively quickly for my studies. I will also try my best to integrate Japanese and Cayuga into my daily studies as much as possible.

Everything else will be whenever I have the extra time/energy, but I hope to at least do them once a week. (Which means I may have to figure something out for this no Anki thing. Should be interesting. :P )

Since today is Thursday and I usually figure my week Sun-Sat (which I might tweak slightly; I'll try Mon-Sun instead), I'll just post my goals til next week.

Goals 10/25-10/28
♡Love♡
    German
  • Complete Lessons 4-6 in German Quickly by Wilson

~Like~

Japanese
  • Review Lessons 1 & 2 in「みんなの日本語」by 3A

Cayuga
  • Continue to work on Spelling Manual (Sections 'Vowel Combinations' through 'Consonants')

*Just Friends*

Aleut
  • Lesson 1 pages 15-18 (top) in Pribilof Anĝaĝigan Tunungin by Berge, et al.1

Irish
  • Review Lessons 1-3 in Teach Yourself Irish by Dillion and Ó Cróinín

Polish
  • Complete packets 1 no. 1 - no. 6 in Beginning Polish 1 by Krzyzanowski, et al.2

Notes:
1. For anyone that is following along on the online version that's equivalent to the Vocabulary and Pronunciation tabs in Lesson 1.

2. I'm using the workbooks as determiners of goals in First Year Polish by Swan. It's roughly equivalent to a fourth of Lesson 1 in Swan. Maybe a little less.

[Stop me before I add any more to the last section! I'm tempted to add Taiwanese and Sumerian, but I don't think I could manage that! :doggy: ]

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-26, 13:10

księżycowy wrote:My week is all fucked up because we don't have classes on Friday (but we have a meeting in the morning), and I took today off so I could take my GRE.

Good luck on your GRE!

księżycowy wrote:I always seem to get frustrated with my heritage languages. Either I'm not doing any of them, or I feel I'm doing the wrong one, etc. So I've decided to try to work on all three of them in some fashion.

I struggled with this a lot with my heritage language. I think the frustration, at least for me, was due to a thinking along the lines of "I like learning languages and I'm good at it, and I never got a chance to learn my heritage language growing up, so I should put my ability and talents to learning my heritage language; after all, how could I study other languages and not even know my heritage one!" I've learned for the most part to let go of that thinking. I still want to learn Tamil because it's my heritage language, and so I feel an affinity toward it, but I don't give into any pressure that I need to do it because I like learning languages.

księżycowy wrote:[Stop me before I add any more to the last section! I'm tempted to add Taiwanese and Sumerian, but I don't think I could manage that! :doggy: ]

You should add Sumerian! We'll only be going at a pace of one page per week. And you really don't need to do Lesson 1; it's just basic intro stuff that I'll summarize for you:

1) Sumerian is called eme-gir in Sumerian, but the word we use derives from the Akkadian name for it, šumeru.
2) Sumerian is mainly agglutinative and characterized by split ergativity. The gender system is based on human/non-human, and it's verb-final with the order of words before the verb being determined by the information structure of the sentence.
3) There are documents ranging from 4th millennium BCE to 1st millennium BCE, but it's mainly stuff from the 2nd and 3rd millennia BCE that are used for grammatical descriptions, and especially from the 2nd half of the 3rd millennium BCE.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-26, 14:26

dEhiN wrote:Good luck on your GRE!

Thanks! (Even though I already took it, and did ok on it. :P )

I struggled with this a lot with my heritage language. I think the frustration, at least for me, was due to a thinking along the lines of "I like learning languages and I'm good at it, and I never got a chance to learn my heritage language growing up, so I should put my ability and talents to learning my heritage language; after all, how could I study other languages and not even know my heritage one!" I've learned for the most part to let go of that thinking. I still want to learn Tamil because it's my heritage language, and so I feel an affinity toward it, but I don't give into any pressure that I need to do it because I like learning languages.

Thanks for sharing that. I try to check my "needs" at the door, but it can be hard. First and foremost, it should be fun, even if they are heritage languages and driven by more than just love of learning languages.

You should add Sumerian! We'll only be going at a pace of one page per week. And you really don't need to do Lesson 1

So, then we'll restart the Taiwanese study group then?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-26, 20:55

księżycowy wrote:So, then we'll restart the Taiwanese study group then?

Tempting, but starting too many at once is probably a recipe for crashing and burning (or at least feeling the need to scale down pretty quickly). I've already got Sumerian as well as a NAIL (either Greenlandic, Inuktitut or Ojibwe, or some combination). I don't think I want to start a tonal language right now.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-26, 21:10

I was kinda kidding anyway. Maybe we can revisit the idea in the spring. I completely agree that we both have enough on our plates already.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-29, 16:26

Speaking of Taiwanese, anyone wanna do a Cantonese study group?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-29, 19:37

What level would you be starting at? And what resource would you be using? I used to want to learn Cantonese. I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to it, but your suggestion intrigues me.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-29, 20:11

Well, since the FSI Cantonese Basic Course is pretty solid, and freely available online (unlike Spoken Amoy Hokkien/Taiwanese), I thought we could use that text.

I was thinking a nice leisurely stroll might be nice, so nothing too intensive.

Having said all this however, this is completely dependent on how well I do with my other languages and juggling them. So it's more of an interest for future consideration than a sure thing to start tomorrow. (Though, depending on how things go, we might be able to start it in a few weeks.)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-29, 20:37

I might be up for it if we were to start either in December or even at the beginning of next year.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”