sauna

This is the place where you can ask for translations into several languages at once. For translations into or from just one specific language, please post in the language's own forum or official topic.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Loiks
sauna

Postby Loiks » 2006-11-25, 20:49

It's this hot steam in the sauna, which comes when you throw water on the stones.

Estonian: leil
Finnish: löyly

Canard

Postby Canard » 2006-11-25, 22:07

Since most societies seem to lack such deep-rooted sauna traditions (:P), I think glosses are as good as you're going to get for most :/ If anyone wants to tidy these up, go right ahead.

Estonian: leil
Finnish: löyly

English: steam in a sauna (produced by pouring water on the hot stones)

French: la vapeur dans un sauna (produite par le renversement d'eau sur les pierres chaudes)
"Simetriuloj, legomoj, monstraĵoj, stelfrajoj — kio ajn ili estis, ili estis viroj!" - Ĉe la Montoj de Frenezeco

Linguaphile

Re: sauna steam (löyly / leil)

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-10-13, 6:34

(et) leil
(et) löil (dialect of Hiiumaa)
(et) leün (dialect of Kihnu)
(fi) löyly
löülü
(liv) läul
(lud) ľöuľ
(vep) ľöľ
(vot) löülü
(vot) leülü (dialect of Kõrvõttula)
(vro) lõun
(smi-sme) levlo
(smi-smn) lievlâ
The Finnic and Saamic words come from a Proto-Finnic word *lewle meaning breath, soul. In some other branches of the Uralic family it still has that meaning and in some of the Finnic languages soul or life is still a secondary or metaphoric meaning.

(lt) gars

(en) sauna stream / sauna vapor (produced by throwing water on the hot stones)

(es) el vapor de la sauna (producido al echar agua sobre las piedras calientes)
(fr) la vapeur dans un sauna (produite par le renversement d'eau sur les pierres chaudes)

(ru) пар в бане

h34

Postby h34 » 2018-10-13, 8:50

+ Latvian

(et) leil
(fi) löyly
löülü
(liv) läul
(lud) ľöuľ
(vep) ľöľ
(vot) löülü
(vro) lõun
(smi-sme) levlo
(smi-smn) lievlâ
The Finnic and Saamic words come from a Proto-Finnic word *lewle meaning breath, soul. In some other branches of the Uralic family it still has that meaning and in some of the Finnic languages soul or life is still a secondary or metaphoric meaning.

(lt) gars
(lv) gars
Latvian gars seems to have a very broad meaning. Apart from 'sauna steam/vapor', it can be translated as 'spirit' (perhaps the primary meaning), sometimes as 'mindset', 'mind', 'intellect'... Also, 'ghost', 'spectre', 'mythological being with supernatural powers'...
Edit: lv.wiktionary mentions even more meanings, like 'the state of being alive', and 'soul' (otherwise dvēsele).

(fr) la vapeur dans un sauna (produite par le renversement d'eau sur les pierres chaudes)

(ru) пар в бане

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-10-13, 11:47

h34 wrote:+ Latvian

Linguaphile wrote:(lt) gars

Oops, I put in the wrong flag code last night (lt instead of lv) and didn't notice that the wrong flag appeared; my gars is Latvian, too! I like your explanation of it, though. I think that its breadth of meaning is exactly why it is considered an equivalent of Estonian leil without needing a sauna-related qualifier (as in English sauna steam). The Estonian word can mean soul, life, life spirit too (normally hing, eluvaim) although the meaning sauna steam is the primary one.

(et) leil
(fi) löyly
löülü
(liv) läul
(lud) ľöuľ
(vep) ľöľ
(vot) löülü
(vro) lõun
(smi-sme) levlo
(smi-smn) lievlâ

(lv) gars
Latvian gars seems to have a very broad meaning. Apart from 'sauna steam/vapor', it can be translated as 'spirit' (perhaps the primary meaning), sometimes as 'mindset', 'mind', 'intellect'... Also, 'ghost', 'spectre', 'mythological being with supernatural powers'...
Edit: lv.wiktionary mentions even more meanings, like 'the state of being alive', and 'soul' (otherwise dvēsele).

(ru) пар в бане

h34

Postby h34 » 2018-10-13, 12:34

Linguaphile wrote:

Oops, I put in the wrong language code (lt) and didn't notice that the wrong flag appeared; my gars is Latvian, too! I like your explanation of it, though. Deleting mine.

Thanks! Perhaps you were right anyway because according to this dictionary, Lithuanian garas means 'steam', 'vapor' but the examples suggest that it's not only used in sauna-related contexts. In this article it's called pirties garas (pirties = 'sauna', genitive).

(et) leil
(fi) löyly
löülü
(liv) läul
(lud) ľöuľ
(vep) ľöľ
(vot) löülü
(vro) lõun
(smi-sme) levlo
(smi-smn) lievlâ

(lt) (pirties) garas :?:
(lv) gars

(ru) пар в бане

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-10-13, 17:00

h34 wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:

Oops, I put in the wrong language code (lt) and didn't notice that the wrong flag appeared; my gars is Latvian, too! I like your explanation of it, though. Deleting mine.

Thanks! Perhaps you were right anyway because according to this dictionary, Lithuanian garas means 'steam', 'vapor' but the examples suggest that it's not only used in sauna-related contexts. In this article it's called pirties garas (pirties = 'sauna', genitive).

Thanks! But I really wasn't 'right' because I just meant it to be Latvian. I just mixed up the flag codes lt and lv because in their native names both countries have both letters: Latvija & Lietuva. It really should be easy to remember though since only one of them has a letter v in English. But for some reason I keep using the code lt for Latvia anyway. :roll:

+ American spelling, because I know sooner or later someone is going to point out that I shouldn't have put the British flag next to the spelling vapor. :mrgreen:

(et) leil
(fi) löyly
löülü
(liv) läul
(lud) ľöuľ
(vep) ľöľ
(vot) löülü
(vro) lõun
(smi-sme) levlo
(smi-smn) lievlâ

(lv) gars

(en) sauna stream / sauna vapour (produced by throwing water on the hot stones)
(en-US) sauna steam / sauna vapor (produced by throwing water on the hot stones)

(ru) пар в бане

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-10-14, 4:13

+ Japanese. Apparently, the Finnish word has been introduced into Japanese, as ロウリュ.

(et) leil
(fi) löyly
löülü
(liv) läul
(lud) ľöuľ
(vep) ľöľ
(vot) löülü
(vro) lõun
(smi-sme) levlo
(smi-smn) lievlâ

(lv) gars

(en) sauna stream / sauna vapour (produced by throwing water on the hot stones)
(en-US) sauna steam / sauna vapor (produced by throwing water on the hot stones)

(ru) пар в бане

(ja) ロウリュ rōryu

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-07-07, 20:05

(et) leil
(et) leili (dialect of Viru-Nigula)
(et) lein (dialect of Tartu)
(et) löin (dialect of Kodavere)
(et) lõun (dialect of Mulgimaa)
(et) löülü (dialect of Kuusalu)
(fi) löyly
(izh) löülü
(krl) löyly ; lööly ; lööyly
(liv) läul
(liv) lävl (dialect of Salatsi)
(lud) löülü ; ľöülü (dialect of Petroskoi)
(lud) löüľ, ľöiľ (dialect of Kuďärv)
(olo) löülü ; löülö (dialect of Aunus)
(udm) (мунчо) пӧсь
(vep) ľöľ ; löun ; löuľ ; lölü
(vot) löülü (dialect of Luuditsa)
(vro) loun (dialect of Leivu)
(vro) lõunu (dialect of Hargla)
(vro) lõunõ (dialect of Setomaa)
(vro) lõune (dialect of Sangaste)
(vro) lõõnaq (dialect of Rõuge)
(smi-sme) levlo
(smi-smn) lievlâ
(smi-smk) (байна) жоарр
(smi-sms) (sääuʹn) žaar

(lt) (pirties) garas
(lv) gars

(en) sauna steam / sauna vapour (produced by throwing water on the hot stones)

(ru) пар в бане ; жар в бане

(ja) ロウリュ rōryu

Return to “Translations”