Kaunimad eestikeelsed sõnad

Moderator:aaakknu

Linguaphile
Kaunimad eestikeelsed sõnad

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-10-03, 0:58

Here are two different videos which each have "100 kaunist eestikeelset sõna" - 100 beautiful words in Estonian, chosen by 100 different Estonian speakers (in each video, so it's 200 total). A good way to hear 200 people pronouncing Estonian words and learn some interesting new ones!
Video #1 has the words written on-screen; video #2 could make an interesting single-word dictation exercise. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISRdNuSER9w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BHtxikUC1w

So there were four that I couldn't understand in the second video. Can anyone help?
at 0:45 (between küünlaleek and mannavaht)
at 1:25 (two here; the two between heasüdamlik and sinililled. The second one is very quiet.)
at 2:02 (between õilis and perekond) (maakeel? such a short e though)

ainurakne

Re: Kaunimad eestikeelsed sõnad

Postby ainurakne » 2018-10-03, 18:52

In the first video, not many of them seem to be people whose first language is Estonian, so it's probably not the best source for learning pronunciation.

Linguaphile wrote:at 0:45 (between küünlaleek and mannavaht)
lõbutsemine
Linguaphile wrote:at 1:25 (two here; the two between heasüdamlik and sinililled. The second one is very quiet.)
Esimene kõlab nagu kõblakuu, kuid ma pole kuulnud, et ühegi kuu rahvapärane nimetus selline oleks. :lol: Teine tundub olevat kõrsik.
Linguaphile wrote:at 2:02 (between õilis and perekond) (maakeel? such a short e though)
maagia
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-10-04, 1:27

ainurakne wrote:In the first video, not many of them seem to be people whose first language is Estonian, so it's probably not the best source for learning pronunciation.

Yes, I noticed that as well. You probably noticed more accents/errors in the video than I did (quite a lot of the words sound okay to me), but definitely some are pronounced with obviously non-native accents (especially those like lõunasöök and kukake. And poor sõber somehow lost its e.) :mrgreen:
Anyway, I still think it's interesting, though. It is still 100 different people speaking Estonian; being able to recognize words spoken with foreign accents is useful, too, since it's also quite possible to find speakers with those same accents in real life.

ainurakne wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:at 0:45 (between küünlaleek and mannavaht)
lõbutsemine

Yet another case of me having no idea until you told me, and now it sounds so clear!

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-10-08, 0:59

These are the words in the second video (or, at least, how I hear them):

harmoonia
inimene
lumi
emme
heinamaa
Eestimaa
kõrvits
mulgipuder
loojang
lilled
õhinapõhine
hällilaul
imeilus
vesiroos
puhkus
piibeleht
tuulelaul
Nele-Liis
nautimine
pääsupojad
päike
kallasrada
kapten
Maarjamaa
naeratus
päikeseloojang
päev
vulin
küünlaleek
lõbutsemine
mannavaht
Emiilia
piparmünt
jää
kohuke
karjamaa
areng
ürgorg
vikerkaar
arheoloog
päikesepuudutus
üllatus
vürtsikilu
suitsupääsuke
suslik
tere
mürakaru
maasikas
ööbik
päikesepaiste
sombreero
võilille
südamelähedane
tuhlis
lapseootus
jää-äär
mängud
lootus
armas
linnuke
armastus
heasüdamlik
kõblakuur :?:
kõrsik
sinililled
vinguviul
ema
võiroos
sild
paradiis
kallis
meteoriidikraater
nunnu
haldjas
meloodia
kosmos
pilved
mesilind
tšilli
kuuvarjutus
emakeel
punarind
suvi
virmalised
peoleo
juunikuu
pere
sünnipäev
raamat
pärlikee
öö
mesimumm
lapsuliblikas
kompleks
piparkook
õilis
maagia
perekond
kaunis
Eesti

ainurakne wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:at 1:25 (two here; the two between heasüdamlik and sinililled. The second one is very quiet.)
Esimene kõlab nagu kõblakuu, kuid ma pole kuulnud, et ühegi kuu rahvapärane nimetus selline oleks. :lol:

Kas esimine sõna ei alga t-ga? Aga ma ei tea, mis asi see tõblakuu, dõblaguu, döblagud oleks... mingi laensõna? Või jussiiv ehk möönev kõneviis: kõblaku!
Last edited by Linguaphile on 2018-10-08, 5:29, edited 1 time in total.

Prantsis

Postby Prantsis » 2018-10-08, 4:16

Mulle tundub, et see lõppeb r-iga. Kõblakuur?

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-10-08, 5:16

Prantsis wrote:Mulle tundub, et see lõppeb r-iga. Kõblakuur?

Yeah, I do hear the -r at the end. Earlier I thought it might be a really soft -d or no consonant at all, but you're right, it sounds like kuur to me now too.

By the way, interesting things about the list of words:
17% of the words are mentioned in both videos.
44% of the words in the second video are compound words.
90% of the words in the second video are nouns (including proper nouns).

*give or take a few - I may have gotten a few words wrong or miscounted! :D

ükssakslane

Postby ükssakslane » 2018-11-02, 19:20

Ülekäigurada. Seda ühendab kaks minu lemmiksõnad - käigu ja rada.

Ülekäigurada rajati selleks, et mees läks lõksu ja naine lööks lupsu.

Kõik minu lemmiksõnad ühes lauses. See on küll täiesti mõttetu, aga ükskõik.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-11-03, 20:12

ükssakslane wrote:Ülekäigurada. Seda ühendab kaks minu lemmiksõnad - käigu ja rada.

Kas sulle meeldivad sõnad "käigu" ja "rada" nende tähenduste või häälikute tõttu?
Ausalt öeldes, ma ei tea, millesed sõnad on minu lemmikud. Võib-olla rahu, kodu, ilu või ilo. Mulle meeldivad nende tähendused ja -u/-o lõpphäälik. Mulle meeldivad ka sõnad, millel on kaksiktäishäälik äi (käik, täis, päike, häid jne.) ja ka need sõnad, millel on täishäälik õ või õh (õhtu, põhja, jõhvikas, jne).

ükssakslane wrote:See on küll täiesti mõttetu, aga ükskõik.
:silly:

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-11-03, 20:52

My favourite word is maybe pidu. I like how it sounds. I and U make it cute, but it's not too sweet because P and D stop it from flowing. I also like the stem peo-, it's fun to say because it's like 95% lips forming the whole word and the tongue just chilling in your mouth. The meaning isn't too bad either, especially because it reminds me of the Finnish word pidot, which I associate with lots of food, people you know, family, more food, friends, food, happy atmosphere, food, summer and sunshine... :partyhat:

It also reminds me of the proverb pidot paranee kun väki vähenee, 'a party gets better when there are fewer people'. There's always someone to say it when the first ones have left the party and I found that and the proverb itself amusing.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-11-03, 22:24

Naava wrote:My favourite word is maybe pidu.

That's a good one for a lot of reasons. You can make all kinds of fun words with it: laulupidu, tantsupidu, jaanipidu, jõulupidu, sünnipäevapidu, aastapäevapidu, uusaastapidu, aiapidu, grillipidu, saunapidu, peoroog, peoõhtu, peolaud, peomeeleolu... It's interesting that its origin is the same as the verb pidama. Then there is the fact that this means pidu has two meanings (party/festival; keeping/holding) and then peo has an additional one (palm of the hand). So it can be rather confusing (or entertaining) to encounter for the first time words like ülalpidu (maintenance or upkeep, not an "upwards party" which sounds as though it should occur in an elevator) or peotäis (only a handful, not a party-full, which to tell you the truth is a bit of a disappointment). :mrgreen: Plus there is a brightly colored bird called peoleo, which has nothing to do with any of these meanings, but seems like it should.
Naava wrote:the tongue just chilling in your mouth.
:rotfl:

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”