Biblical Hebrew Study Group

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Biblical Hebrew Study Group

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-06, 20:30

I've tried doing Lesson 3 as well:
► Show Spoiler

EDIT: Sorry, the format got all messed up as a result of me trying to correct my mistakes. :?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-13, 22:09

And here's Lesson 4!
► Show Spoiler

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-19, 8:00

Okay, question time!

...Is anyone still following this group? If so, do you find it helpful when I try to post answers to the exercises?

Thanks! :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-20, 16:33

Given that I'm the one who wrote all of the last five posts in this thread, I think I'll hold off on working on any more of the exercises until someone does express interest here again.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-08-20, 16:49

Sorry, Vijay. :(

Drink

Postby Drink » 2018-08-21, 14:24

I've just been lurking on this thread, but if you're interested, I can make corrections to your exercises (I've noticed a bunch of mistakes, no offence -- that's perfectly normal).
שתה וגם גמליך אשקה

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-27, 4:44

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this, but I would really appreciate it if you could, so thanks for offering! In fact, you can even do this for the exercises I've been doing for Modern Hebrew if you like (but of course, that's up to you, no pressure :)). By this point, I've given up on checking my mistakes because just doing the exercises themselves takes me forever.
księżycowy wrote:Sorry, Vijay. :(

Nah, it's okay. I just wanted to know whether I was still helping to motivate anyone through this thread because otherwise there's honestly not much point in me trying to do all the exercises and include all the right niqqud and everything. :P

Drink

Postby Drink » 2018-09-03, 20:04

I'll start with your latest one. I've added corrections and notes. Note that without having the original exercise questions, I can only address grammatical issues.

vijayjohn wrote:And here's Lesson 4!
► Show Spoiler
שתה וגם גמליך אשקה

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-09-10, 2:40

Thanks so much for your help, Drink! :)

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-09-12, 19:04

Hello again, guys. Two months ago I got stumped in this language learning program (so-to-speak) because I felt unwilling to learn to type Biblical Hebrew with either the common layout(s) or by pressing buttons component by component for every glyph. I told myself I'd make a program that I'd personally find easy, but then I procrastinated on making said program...

...Until last week, when I finally got my lazy ass to do it. The thing takes some ASCII-friendly code and produces both Hebrew and romanization.

(I realize that בָּרָא should probably be bārā without the ʾ at the end.)

And so I continued working on the book during the last few days, catching up to Vijay today. Here are my answers for units 1-4.

(EDIT: TO ANYONE READING THIS IN THE FUTURE, these answers contain mistakes! Don't trust them!)

UNIT 1
► Show Spoiler

UNIT 2
► Show Spoiler

UNIT 3
► Show Spoiler

UNIT 4
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Bubulus on 2018-09-14, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-09-12, 19:14

I haven't checked my answers against the Answer Key book or Vijay's. I plan to do so Friday morning.

The book says that words starting with mə- have the ə dropped when you add the article, giving the example מְרַגְּלִים məraggəlîm ~ הַמְרַגְּלִים hamraggəlîm (which is not hamməraggəlîm), but I noticed that "the kings" is actually הַמְּלָכִים hamməlāḵîm and not *hamlāḵîm in the Answer Key for exercises c.2 and c.5 in Unit 4, and also in Genesis 36:31. Lambdin expects the student to give hamməlāḵîm but doesn't explain why...

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-09-13, 0:31

Oh dang, maybe I should try getting into Biblical Hebrew again then! :o

Thanks for all your effort, Ser! :)

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-09-13, 15:05

vijayjohn wrote:Oh dang, maybe I should try getting into Biblical Hebrew again then! :o

Thanks for all your effort, Ser! :)

I don't really care about reviving the Taiwanese Min Nan group (particularly because I don't have the books), but I do want to finish this group's program.

Since it will be just you and me if you rejoin, we could go at a bit of a faster pace too. Maybe two or three units per week.

By the way, I made a comment at some other place that I found it interesting that while כָּבֵד kāḇēḏ has its first vowel reduced to schwa when adding a suffix, e.g. כְּבֵדִים kəḇēḏîm (and not the middle one: *kāḇəḏîm), נֹתֵן nōṯēn is the opposite and has its middle vowel reduced, נֹתְנִים nōṯənîm (as opposed to *nəṯēnîm).

Somebody pointed out that apparently these words were kabid and nātin in Proto-Canaanite, which means that the difference in behaviour appears because historically the vowels there at the beginning syllable were different. The original long vowel in nātin does not reduce to schwa when adding suffixes. I was told that Hebrew surprisingly made many pre-tonic vowels long, e.g. kabid > kāḇēḏ, something I find quite odd typologically.

Drink

Postby Drink » 2018-09-13, 17:10

Ser wrote:The book says that words starting with mə- have the ə dropped when you add the article, giving the example מְרַגְּלִים məraggəlîm ~ הַמְרַגְּלִים hamraggəlîm (which is not hamməraggəlîm), but I noticed that "the kings" is actually הַמְּלָכִים hamməlāḵîm and not *hamlāḵîm in the Answer Key for exercises c.2 and c.5 in Unit 4, and also in Genesis 36:31. Lambdin expects the student to give hamməlāḵîm but doesn't explain why...

This rule is for the mə- prefix found on verbal participles of some conjugation types (which מרגלים is, but מלכים is not), not for words starting with mə- in general. Even so, it's not a hard and fast rule, since I think you'd find examples of hammə- even when it is a verbal participle.
שתה וגם גמליך אשקה

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-09-14, 15:48

Comments on my answers to the exercises of Unit 2:
► Show Spoiler

Man, there are typos in the Answer Key book... The answer for Unit 2 (c) has הֶהָרָר hehārār and הֶהָלָב hehālāḇ, instead of הֶהָדָר hehāḏār and הֶחָלָב heḥālāḇ.

I think the Answer Key is also wrong when in Unit 2 (e) it says "on the kings" and "on the elders" are עַל־מְלָכִים ʿal-məlāḵîm and עַל־זְקֵנִים ʿal-zəqēnîm, without the article. Vijay made the same mistake admittedly.
vijayjohn wrote:(c)
wait, the second one is also הֶ?? Wtf :shock:

Yeah, the rules for the article before ayin say it's "he-" if there's a kametz gadol below the ayin...
Last edited by Bubulus on 2018-09-14, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-09-14, 16:01

Comments on my answers to the exercises of Unit 3:
► Show Spoiler

I didn't notice any mistakes in the Answer Key for Unit 3.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-09-14, 16:12

Ser wrote:I don't really care about reviving the Taiwanese Min Nan group (particularly because I don't have the books), but I do want to finish this group's program.

I keep tempting myself with restarting the Minnan group, but then I end up reminding myself to keep my eyes on the prize.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-09-14, 16:18

Comments on my answers to the exercises of Unit 4:
► Show Spoiler

The book has a mistake in the answer for exercise d.8. It should be הָאִשָּׁה הַהֹלֶ֫כֶת hāʾiššāh hahōle´ḵeṯ, not what is there which is הָאִשָּׁה הַהֹלְכֶת hāʾiššāh hahōləḵeṯ.

księżycowy wrote:
Ser wrote:I don't really care about reviving the Taiwanese Min Nan group (particularly because I don't have the books), but I do want to finish this group's program.

I keep tempting myself with restarting the Minnan group, but then I end up reminding myself to keep my eyes on the prize.

If you and Vijay decide to get back to it then I'll rejoin again as well, as between the two of you you guys create a good resource.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-09-14, 16:36

It has some potential, that's for sure.

We'll see what happens.

Drink

Postby Drink » 2018-09-14, 19:52

Ser wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:(c)
wait, the second one is also הֶ?? Wtf :shock:

Yeah, the rules for the article before ayin say it's "he-" if there's a kametz gadol below the ayin...

It's a good bit more complicated than that, as it depends on stress as well. Don't beat yourself up over not perfecting these rules so early on.
שתה וגם גמליך אשקה

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”