Icelandic Study Group

Antea
Icelandic Study Group

Postby Antea » 2018-07-01, 6:58

Hello, I am starting this thread for those who are interested in learning some Icelandic (finally I couldn't resist the temptation). For the moment I will be using TY Icelandic. As I have now some little knowledge of Swedish, I feel that this can help me with Icelandic (we'll see :whistle: ). If you have any suggestions about resources or any thing, they would be most welcome :D .

Antea

Re: Icelandic Study Group

Postby Antea » 2018-07-01, 8:02

Adding also the Colloquial book, I have already been through the firsts chapters. I am also looking for some listening resources in Youtube.

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2018-07-01, 17:13

Antea wrote:I feel that this can help me with Icelandic (we'll see :whistle: ).

Maybe with the base words, but going way beyond them... not so much, I suspect. Knowing English helps too as, besides being sister languages, there are quite a bit of Old Norse loans as base words. :P

Even around fifteen years later, this very useful grammar notebook still exists.
Neferuj paħujkij!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-01, 17:43

Which edition of TY Icelandic do you have, Antea?

I don't know of any other resources for Icelandic yet or even any songs other than this folk song (which I posted once in the songs thread):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq4seuBFxIM
This Eurovision song (which I also posted somewhere on this forum once but not in a song-related thread):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELSuY9riUUY
This Eurovision song (what can I say, one of my colleagues in grad school was a big fan of Eurovision):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQhFfmTLciA
And this version of "I Won't Say I'm in Love" from Hercules, which I think sounds way better than the original (so does the Hungarian version):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUHzlxiK3MI

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-07-01, 17:55

There's also Icelandic Online, a free online course. It's been a few years since I last used it, but I liked it wel enough then.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-01, 21:14

So Antea, how are you using TY Icelandic? Have you started going through the first lesson? Are you learning about pronunciation? When should we start, and how would you like to progress (e.g. one unit a week? Two units a month? Read this section of this chapter by Tuesday, July 3? :P)?

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-07-02, 3:22

vijayjohn wrote:So Antea, how are you using TY Icelandic? Have you started going through the first lesson? Are you learning about pronunciation? When should we start, and how would you like to progress (e.g. one unit a week? Two units a month? Read this section of this chapter by Tuesday, July 3? :P)?

I have an old edition from 2008. And yes I have already started. The fact is that with Swedish, I really do intend to get to a B1 level. But I have already been in the country, and I think is easier to find natives speakers to practise with. The problem with Icelandic, for me, is that I don't have any real connection with the language, and in these cases is difficult for me to get much further.

So, my goal is simply to reach an A2 level (B1 would be great :roll: ), at least in reading and understanding. As for speaking, and I don't think it would be possible to achieve that goal, simply because I won't have any opportunity to practise the language.

As for my learning schedule, I am combining the books that I have. Now I am still in the lesson 1-2. But I should say that I am only trying to understand and notice the grammar rules, verbs, etc, but I am not memorising them.

Edit: As for the time schedule, I don't know. What do you think of one lesson per week? :hmm:

And thank you all, for the resources you posted :yep:

Is somebody willing to join, and at least have a little brush up of Icelandic? :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-02, 3:30

I guess I'm fine with one lesson a week, but it feels a little weird to have an Icelandic study group where no one is very serious about learning Icelandic yet. :para:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-07-02, 3:39

vijayjohn wrote:I guess I'm fine with one lesson a week, but it feels a little weird to have an Icelandic study group where no one is very serious about learning Icelandic yet. :para:

What do you mean by serious? Do you need to set a goal, like " being able hold a conversation in one month " ? That would be interesting, but I don't think is doable, moreover if nobody is willing to talk :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-02, 3:50

No, but I'm mostly just trying to help people learn Icelandic if they feel like it and passively learning things myself. :) That's the same thing I've been doing for all these other threads so far. :P It does sound like you're more serious about learning Icelandic than I am, though, so never mind; I think we're fine! :whistle:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-07-02, 3:59

You know, it's always the same problem with languages. I always want to learn a language and reach some level because I really want to use it, I mean, everyday, if possible. Sometimes I can do it, like I did for Arabic and Russian, and now I really use them almost everyday, in one way or other. And sometimes, depending of the languages, I just don't know how to do it because there are like practical problems for having more contact with them :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-02, 4:21

We could do what non-native speakers of English do sometimes and try speaking Icelandic with each other! :P

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-07-02, 4:29

Yeah! Why not? :ohwell:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-02, 5:41

I think I've sort of gone through the first two chapters in Complete Icelandic but not super-carefully.

Also, I forgot about this video, which is also a resource for learning Icelandic. You may have already come across it, idk. :) I think it might help a little bit with pronunciation and such:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxzhWkMD3co

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-07-02, 6:05

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-02, 9:04

Nice! These resources look useful especially since they (mostly) come with audio. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-07-02, 16:29

Antea wrote:I also found this

http://tungumalatorg.is/ifa/

Oooooooooooo! Bookmarked!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-02, 20:10

I know, isn't that one neat? Did you see Aurinĭa's link, too?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-07-02, 20:19

Actually, I've known about her link for like ever. I think I may remember stumbling across Antea's link at some point in the past too, but forgot about it.

Whatever the case, killer resources. I'll definitely be following this group! :)
And hopefully I'll be able to join eventually.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-09, 20:14

So what do we do now, Antea? Move on to Chapters 3 and 4 of TY Icelandic? :P

Return to “Icelandic (Íslenska)”