vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Hokkien Study Group

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-24, 20:13

Ah, okay! :)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-06-25, 14:00

Hey guys, so I'm thinking of dropping Hokkien. Just like Salajane, after this past week, I don't think I'll have the time to commit to a weekly thing. With my personal studies it's a little different, because I can go at a slower or faster pace depending on whatever else is going on in my life. I still have access to the Google Doc and SAH pdf/mp3(s), so perhaps I'll go through them on my own later in the year.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-25, 14:32

Well, as I've said more than once, you can go at a slower or faster pace. Either way, I understand though.

These groups are more about motivation than anything else.

EDIT: On that note, these groups can be as flexible as we need them to be. I've already been pretty flexible with the Japanese and Polish groups. No reason we can't do the same here. I do like the idea of weekly check ins, but those can be changed too, if you'd still like to try sticking it through.

Up to you. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-25, 15:31

One good thing about these groups is that they're just forum threads, not in-person semester-long courses or anything, so you can always drop stuff and come back to it later whenever you're ready for it. ;) It's not like you'll have to wait to re-register for this thread or anything like you'd have to do with university courses. :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-25, 15:36

Very true. :P

In all honesty, I've just been taking shots in the dark as far as pack g and stuff. It was always my intend to twik it was we went, to better match what people could handle.

And, ideally, these groups should survive with or without any one particular person/people.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-25, 16:30

"Pack g"?

Meanwhile, I've started puzzling over some things in the dialogue for Unit II in advance. :P I just learned that the surname "Iú:" (Iûⁿ in POJ) corresponds to Yang in Mandarin. I'm having real trouble with the expression that Bodman writes as "kù caǐ lì," though, especially since for this expression, he doesn't explain what any of the parts mean.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-25, 16:36

"pacing and stuff"

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-06-25, 18:08

vijayjohn wrote:I'm having real trouble with the expression that Bodman writes as "kù caǐ lì," though, especially since for this expression, he doesn't explain what any of the parts mean.

That's the problem I've always had with phrase books and those resources that just teach you phrases to memorize. I want to know what the parts mean so that I can create my own sentences. :D

Thanks for the encouragement about going at my own pace and that these groups are more about motivation. I'll keep abreast of this thread, and perhaps if I get some time and feel motivated enough, I'll go through the resources at my own pace. Though I probably won't go with the weekly assignments for now.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-26, 4:12

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I'm having real trouble with the expression that Bodman writes as "kù caǐ lì," though, especially since for this expression, he doesn't explain what any of the parts mean.

That's the problem I've always had with phrase books and those resources that just teach you phrases to memorize. I want to know what the parts mean so that I can create my own sentences. :D

Yeah, in this case, I feel it's an unusual omission on Bodman's part. Usually, he explains what everything means in detail. I think I'll just have to guess this part; I tried looking it up but no luck.

EDIT: Also, I was just learning about the Speak Hokkien Campaign. :)

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2018-06-26, 8:10

马新人有毛病!一会儿搞讲英语运动,一会又搞讲华语运动,现在又搞什么鬼讲福建话运动……他妈的到底想讲什么话?so stupid lah...

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-28, 20:17

I'm sorry to leave this group too, especially after I started it not long ago. But if you guys (Vijay and Ser) want to continue, I'd recommend Taiwanese Made Easier.

I can still upload the audio to Spoken Amoy Hokkien, though, if anyone wants.

I shall return to Chinese (in general) hopefully in about a year. So this isn't so much "bye", but "see you later." :wink:

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-06-28, 20:28

księżycowy wrote:I'm sorry to leave this group too, especially after I started it not long ago. But if you guys (Vijay and Ser) want to continue, I'd recommend Taiwanese Made Easier.

I can still upload the audio to Spoken Amoy Hokkien, though, if anyone wants.

I shall return to Chinese (in general) hopefully in about a year. So this isn't so much "bye", but "see you later." :wink:

:evil: :evil: :evil:

:(

Vijay was more, like, assisting us, I think. So I guess this is the end of the group and I'm off to study on my own.

The Biblical Hebrew group is still happening, right?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-28, 20:31

I'm gonna try, yes.

And I truly am sorry to be leaving this group. :(
Hopefully we can get it going again in the future.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-06-30, 15:39

C'est la vie. Que será, será. Et al.

(How's that for a multilingual response! ;) :D)

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-06-30, 20:09

dEhiN wrote:C'est la vie. Que será, será. Et al.

"Que será, será" is ungrammatical Spanish. :(

(It should be "Lo que será, será" at least. And yes, I know it comes from some stupid song.)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-06-30, 20:11

Ser wrote:

(It should be "Lo que será, será" at least.)

Really? So is that song "que sera sera" not in Spanish? Or has the artist just used an ungrammatical phrase?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-30, 20:22

Oh fuck it. I think I might try to keep this going once a week, if you still want to do this as a group. Progress will be slow, but it's been slow to begin with. (I really have been wrestling with this morally. And not just this group either! I feel bad about dropping off with Polish too. :( )

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-06-30, 20:25

księżycowy wrote:Oh fuck it. I think I might try to keep this going once a week, if you still want to do this as a group. Progress will be slow, but it's been slow to begin with. (I really have been wrestling with this morally. And not just this group either! I feel bad about dropping off with Polish too. :( )

Why morally? There's no judgement call on you needing or having to drop these groups. At least, not as far as I'm concerned. You tried something which you thought would be a good idea, and then realized that perhaps you bit off more than you can chew.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-06-30, 20:26

dEhiN wrote:
Ser wrote:

(It should be "Lo que será, será" at least.)

Really? So is that song "que sera sera" not in Spanish? Or has the artist just used an ungrammatical phrase?

The artist used ungrammatical Spanish.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-06-30, 20:27

Ser wrote:The artist used ungrammatical Spanish.

Ok, gracias!

Return to “Chinese (中文)”