Latin Translation Game

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Latin Translation Game

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-14, 5:55

I decided to create a translation game for Latin, too, just so that we have a bit more activity here than just the two games we have so far. :) You probably know how it works by now: One person writes a sentence in English, the next person translates it into Latin and gives a new sentence in English to be translated.

Close the door!

Bernard

Re: Latin Translation Game

Postby Bernard » 2018-02-13, 9:21

Close the door!
Claude ianuam!

The rest is silence. (Shakespeare, Hamlet V 2)

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2018-02-21, 17:54

Reliquum silentium est.

You're never the same as anyone else.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-06-09, 23:54

Omnēs hominēs inter sē differunt...?

I feel a rather literal translation such as "numquam es ut alii" would really not work.

Here's an adapted sentence from Zhuangzi (chapter 2):
Lady Li (麗姬) was the most beautiful woman in the world, but fish would see her and swim away, and birds would glance at her and fly away.

Bernard

Postby Bernard » 2018-06-10, 15:30

Omnēs hominēs inter sē differunt.
Placet!

Lady Li (麗姬) was the most beautiful woman in the world, but fish would see her and swim away, and birds would glance at her and fly away.

Domina Li femina omnium erat pulcherrima, qua quidem conspecta pisces enatabant itemque volucres avolabant.

I kept Homer's Iliad on my table through the summer, though I looked at his page only now and then (Henry David Thoreau, Walden, Reading).

Toadino2

Postby Toadino2 » 2018-06-16, 10:16

Homeri Iliadem aestate tota in tabula sivi, cum illius paginam inspicerem interdum.

Wanna spice it up?
--
There would however be a radical error in attributing this instantenous transition of feeling in the philosopher, to any one of those causes which might naturally be supposed to have had an influence.
(Edgar Allan Poe, by the way.)

Bernard

Postby Bernard » 2018-06-19, 8:32

Toadino2 wrote:Homeri Iliadem aestate tota in tabula sivi, cum illius paginam inspicerem interdum.
If you don't mind: ... in tabula iacere sivi... (perhaps 'the table' > ital. tavolo, lat. mensa, because lat. tabula > board, ital. asse di legno, pannello).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There would however be a radical error in attributing this instantenous transition of feeling in the philosopher, to any one of those causes which might naturally be supposed to have had an influence.
(Edgar Allan Poe, by the way.)

Funditus autem erres, si repentinam philosophi mentis commutationem exortam esse putes ex aliqua earum causarum quae plerumque afferri solent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When conditions are favourable, sick organisms tend to recover through their own inherent powers of self-healing (Aldous Huxley, The Art of Seeing, London 1974, p. 1).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-17, 7:06

Ubi conditiōnēs favorābilēs sunt, organismī īnfirmī solent suīs sē sānantibus potestātibus nātūrālibus convalēscere. :?:

I am a sick organism right now.

Return to “Latin (Latina)”