Language Forum Moderator

Re: Hokkien Study Group

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-10, 22:23

I've tried to make it all line up, too. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-10, 22:25

Let's keep the momentum going!

I'll start working on the Taiwanese material (since you don't have that book).

Feel free to keep going on the Amoy this week.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-11, 1:37

It looks like the rest of this unit is easy (i.e. up to sentence #38 + numbers). The onlly part that looks slightly different from Mandarin (in terms of characters used) is the word for 'really' being used in general for 'very' (I guess) and different words for 'right', 'left', and possibly 'goodbye'.

So once all that is done, is there anything you want me to do next? :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-11, 9:05

That depends on how hung honest we want to get with this. Do we want to retype the whole book? :P

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-06-11, 9:44

So we're using Spoken Amoy Hokkien? What is our plan?

Thanks, Vijay, for typing the characters.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-11, 10:27

Yup. I had posted the weekly "assignment" previously, but it's been lost in my and Vijay's chatter by now. :lol:

I suggested learning sentences 1-20 (Unit 1), how does that sound to you?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-11, 12:28

I just checked out your additions and work on the Spoken Amoy re-type and I'm loving it Vivay. Awesome work! :D

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-06-11, 13:36

księżycowy wrote:I suggested learning sentences 1-20 (Unit 1), how does that sound to you?

That's ok, if I manage to distinguish the tones. :)
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-11, 13:39

That's always the hard part at first.

I'm still having some trouble with that. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-11, 16:11

It took me a very long time to get used to the tones of Mandarin Chinese, at any rate, and probably even longer to get used to the tone schemes of other Chinese languages. I think I'm okay with them now, though.
księżycowy wrote:That depends on how hung honest we want to get with this. Do we want to retype the whole book? :P

Hey, I've already translated three books for whatever the Tavalong-Vata'an variety of Amis is called and am in the middle of the fourth one. It's not like I'm scared of the prospect of retyping the whole book! I just want to know what the next part to retype would be. :)
Salajane wrote:Thanks, Vijay, for typing the characters.

księżycowy wrote:I just checked out your additions and work on the Spoken Amoy re-type and I'm loving it Vivay. Awesome work! :D

Hùi-sîn--ê!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-11, 16:15

Um, after the sentences is the Sound Drill (#2) and then Grammar, right? :hmm:

I'm also curious whether or not we've lost dEhiN.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-11, 16:28

księżycowy wrote:Um, after the sentences is the Sound Drill (#2) and then Grammar, right? :hmm:

Yes, but we skipped the first Sound Drill, and of course, there isn't really a way to convert any Sound Drill into Chinese characters (I mean, I could pick arbitrary Chinese characters with those pronunciations for that part, but what's the point of that?); it can only really be converted to POJ. :P And everything in the rest of Unit I seems to use the same words/phrases that we've already covered.
I'm also curious whether or not we've lost dEhiN.

Until he indicates otherwise, I'm going to assume the following is still true:
dEhiN wrote:As for Taiwanese, you didn't scare me away. I'm just not able to check or reply here every day. I aim for at least once a week now, though frequently I do twice or thrice a week.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-11, 16:35

Well, my priority at the time as to see how to set up the main lesson format. You can go back and add in the pronunciation stuff and first sound drill(s) if you want.

I'd say that just POJ is fine for the sound drills, personally. As you say, it's near impossible to know what characters/words they were going for. (If any for that matter).

Until he indicates otherwise, I'm going to assume the following is still true:
dEhiN wrote:As for Taiwanese, you didn't scare me away. I'm just not able to check or reply here every day. I aim for at least once a week now, though frequently I do twice or thrice a week.

I'm inclined to agree, in principle. It just concerns me it's taking him a while to get back to us. It's been a good week since we last spoke.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-06-11, 16:49

What do you think about learning Javanese together? :silly:
Anybody has a textbook?
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-11, 16:53

I know of a textbook, but i do taistil have it. I've thought about it before, but if I was to go that way, I'd probably start with Indonesian and/or Tagalog first.

But I already have enough going on linguistically. :P
Sorry. (Unless you can manage to convince me to swap/change something.)

I do like this study group idea very much though. :yep:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-11, 16:57

księżycowy wrote:Well, my priority at the time as to see how to set up the main lesson format. You can go back and add in the pronunciation stuff and first sound drill(s) if you want.

I don't think I'll bother with the pronunciation stuff since that's available on Wikipedia. I can do the (first) sound drill, though. I guess for the grammar sections, I'll just type out the examples, not all the English text surrounding it. :P (Assuming, of course, that I get to those in the first place).
I'd say that just POJ is fine for the sound drills, personally. As you say, it's near impossible to know what characters/words they were going for. (If any for that matter).

I don't think they were going for any.
I'm inclined to agree, in principle. It just concerns me it's taking him a while to get back to us. It's been a good week since we last spoke.

I understand, but it happens. I'm sure he'll get back to us once he has a chance. :)

EDIT:
Salajane wrote:What do you think about learning Javanese together? :silly:
Anybody has a textbook?

I don't have one for Javanese, but I do have at least a short phrasebook for Balinese with Indonesian (and English) translations.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-11, 17:06

I don't think I'll bother with the pronunciation stuff since that's available on Wikipedia. :P I can do the (first) sound drill, though. I guess for the grammar sections, I'll just type out the examples, not all the English text surrounding it. :P (Assuming, of course, that I get to those in the first place).

Leave me some space and I'll type out the English explanations. I mean, I'd hate the see you do all the work for SAH.
ST is literally just the "basic sentences" in Bodman's weird transcription, but with Taiwanese (Tainan if I remember correctly) pronunciation, so that won't be too bad of a work load for me (I mean, I'd feel bad if that's all I was doing).

And, if I'm feeling like it, I might just type up the pronunciation section too. Just for completeness.
I mean, if we're typing up 75ish percent of the book, why leave it there? :P

I understand, but it happens. I'm sure he'll get back to us once he has a chance. :)

I know. Hopefully we'll hear from him soon. :)

EDIT:
I don't have one for Javanese, but I do have at least a short phrasebook for Balinese with Indonesian (and English) translations.

Practical Balinese? I've seen both Practical Balinese and Everyday Balinese on Amazon for years now. I've been tempted more than once to pick up a copy of both.

Oh, and I thought this might interest you, Vijay:
https://support.google.com/docs/answer/2494888?hl=en

Return to “Chinese (中文)”