[Game] Creating sentences

Moderator:JackFrost

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator
Re: [Game] Creating sentences

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-04-23, 15:47

azhong wrote:Very late that evening, only a little before midnight, when the full moon hung high in the sky and was shining brightly, a weird thing occurred.
(By the lake in the city park, several swans were asleep sleeping, with their shadows falling on the sandy shore. The shadows were clear and about the shape of an egg. There and then, one of these shades shadows started changing; it lengthened slowly along the flat land as if it were a big, dark wad of chewing gum. In a few moments it came into took on the shape of a human being.)

- "Hanged" usually refers to the punishment involving a noose. "Hung" is for when something is suspended.
- "Shade", when used countably, means "ghost", not "shadow".
- "Chewing gum" is uncountable, so it needs a counter word to take an indefinite article, which is why I added "wad of".

france-eesti wrote:I'll be a gentleman and let you lift your luggage yourself, Cynthia.

In this episode, we'll learn how to make an adorable do-it-yourself birdhouse.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-04-24, 14:41

Isn't TheStrayCat adorable to let you use his motorbike for free?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-04-27, 2:58

Richard was walking along the street. He was carrying his motorbike. His motorbike was out of gas. He wiped the sweat from his face. He felt tired.
(“I must have been walking for a decade,” thought Richard.
Yet, the nearest gas station was still distant, far out of view. Richard kept trudging on, dragging his heavy foot.)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-04-27, 12:09

Please wait until Dormouse has wiped the table clean before you start eating, you crazy little vampire!
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-04-29, 6:50

At midnight, the vampire awoke and climbed sleepily out of his coffin.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-04-29, 7:03

I thought I was getting crazy when Naava started again that old one from Midnight Oil.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-04-29, 7:47

The crowd went crazy, singing their hearts out, when the best player on the field got a goal.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-04-29, 17:48

france-eesti wrote:I thought I was getting going crazy when Naava started again that old one from Midnight Oil again.

tiuwiu wrote:The crowd went crazy, singing their hearts out, when the best player on the field got a goal.

The lads in town all come to my door, wearing their hearts on their sleeves, but I must turn them all away, for my love is out at sea.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-04-30, 13:55

(He shut the door, grabbed his duffel bag, and got into the car.)
The old car moved on, slowly along the mountain road down the hill, bumped on sticks and stones, turned over a woods and was out of view. Well, away another lad left again.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-05-01, 5:32

The dog run around the old stone sculpture in the local park, clutching the ball in his jaws, while his owner was sitting on a bench.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-05-01, 14:38

Come in, sir, don’t sleep on the bench, for you are weary, and the night is cold out there.
(Although our lives are very humble, we have to share what we have. There is wine here to revive you. There is bread to make you strong. And there’s a bed for you to rest till morning. Please take your good rest, sir; rest from pain, and rest from wrong. )

(Come in, sir, for you are weary
And the night is cold out there
Though our lives are very humble
What we have, we have to share
There is wine here to revive you
There is bread to make you strong
There’s a bed to rest till morning
Rest from pain, and rest from wrong
--From the musical “The Miserable World")

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-05-01, 15:42

azhong wrote:(He shut the door, grabbed his duffel bag, and got into the car.)
The old car moved on, slowly along the mountain road down the hill, bumped on sticks and stones, turned over a woods and was out of view. Well, away went another lad left again.

"turned over a woods" - I'm not sure what this means. Maybe "rolled over a piece of wood"?
"was out of view" - To use "was", I'd say "was lost from view" or "was gone". To keep "out of view", I'd say "moved out of view"

tiuwiu wrote:The dog ran around the old stone sculpture in the local park, clutching the ball in his jaws, while his owner was sitting on a bench.

azhong wrote:Come in, sir, don’t sleep on the bench, for you are weary, and the night is cold out there.

You know, let's just agree to disagree; I weary of all this back-and-forth.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-01, 15:47

I am sorry to say, dear tiuwiu, that I kind of disagree with you about frogs and French people - take me as an example, I've lived in France for the last 35 years and haven't eaten the tiniest bit of it!

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-05-03, 3:49

Your example is awfully clear, most helpful to explain your theory, to support your hypothesis, that I do admit.
(But still, you know, as the proverb says, one falling leaf does not an autumn make. Stubborn you may say me, whatever.)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-03, 9:55

Thank you for your support Azhong - I really appreciate you being there to hand me the jug of water whenever you feel Salajane needs it.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2018-05-04, 12:10

(Putting up with the tortures of thirst, the crow picked up a pebble with his beak, and dropped it into the jug.)
The small pebble passed through the narrow neck smoothly, reached the jug bottom, and--how encouraging!--the water rose a trifle higher.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-05-04, 14:58

france-eesti wrote:I am sorry to say, dear tiuwiu, that I kind of disagree with you about frogs and French people - take me as an example, I've lived in France for the last 35 years and haven't eaten the tiniest bit of itone!

azhong wrote:(But still, you know, as the proverb says, one falling leaf does not an autumn make. Stubborn you may saycall me, whatever.)

(In case you don't know, this sort of inversion is extremely literary.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-05-05, 6:36

Yesterday, I saw a boy who was crying bitterly because he was too small to reach the candies on one of the shelves in the supermarket.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-05, 18:31

Empty those shelves and give those clothes, that you don't wear anymore, to that charity that comes to collect them on Tuesday!

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-05-06, 5:51

After he donated their entire fortune to charity his wife filed for divorce because she couldn't buy the new pair of shoes she felt in love with.

Return to “English”