The person after me game (2)

Moderator:JackFrost

dEhiN
Re: The person after me game (2)

Postby dEhiN » 2018-04-11, 13:09

linguoboy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:
france-eesti wrote:sometimes feels like an asocial bear

Asocial works, but I think antisocial is more common and colloquial. I know I would naturally go for the anti- prefix for a lot of words over the a- prefix.

There's a subtle distinction here, which is typical when both a-prefixed and anti-prefixed variants exist. "Asocial" simply means "not social". "Antisocial" means "actively hostile toward society". (At least, that's its core meaning; I have heard it used loosely where "asocial" would be more appropriate.)

Good point! I guess I'm used to, and have generally seen, the anti- prefix in a general meaning synonymous to the a- prefix: not whatever-follows-the-prefix.

linguoboy wrote:Does masala chai count?

I'm so glad you didn't say masala chai tea! :D

linguoboy wrote:The person after me can cha-cha with the best of them.

Sadly, I've never learned the cha-cha, nor the can-can or any other related dances. While I'm a musician, and musicality runs through my veins, music through dance does not!

The person after me wakes up every day feeling tired and not fully rested, even if they've gotten 8 hours of sleep.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-04-11, 14:11

I never get 8 hours of sleep... But I'm usually in a better shape in the morning and get more and more tired as day goes... :|

When is the last time the person after me went to the disco?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-11, 14:59

france-eesti wrote:When is the last time the person after me went to the disco?

The last time I was in Europe?

("Disco" as the name of a place where you go to dance is extremely dated in contemporary English. In the USA, we say "nightclub", "dance club", or usually just "club".)

The last time I was at a nightclub was Friday night when the one nearest me hosted the Flesh Hungry Dog Show. I liked the first act so much I bought their CD and I was so sore from dancing I hurt for two days afterwards.

The person after me would be shocked if someone asked them if they'd like to "go clubbing".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-04-11, 15:02

It depends on the person.

The next person wants to lick a lollipop.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-04-11, 18:33

As in lick it just once? Not especially. I suppose I wouldn't mind having a full lollipop, though.

The person after me has raised farm animals.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-04-12, 8:42

Does taking care of three children, two hens and two dogs for a week count? :lol:

The person after me would rather take care of a sick dog than of a sick baby.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-12, 13:12

france-eesti wrote:Does taking care of three children, two hens and two dogs for a week count?

Are you farming the children for something?

(On second thought, don't answer that.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-04-12, 21:37

france-eesti wrote:But I'm usually in a better shape in the morning and get more and more tired as the day goes... :|

france-eesti wrote:The person after me would rather take care of a sick dog than of a sick baby.

Considering I've only had experience with my sister's dog (a.k.a., my "dog-niece"), yes, I would be more comfortable and know what to do with a sick dog rather than a sick baby.

The person after me hates getting crappy weather on their birthday month.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-12, 21:44

dEhiN wrote:The person after me hates getting crappy weather on their birthday month.

Interesting! I would have flagged that usage as non-native. Things happen "in" or "during" a month (or week); they only happen "on" a particular day.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-04-12, 21:49

linguoboy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:The person after me hates getting crappy weather on their birthday month.

Interesting! I would have flagged that usage as non-native. Things happen "in" or "during" a month (or week); they only happen "on" a particular day.

Yeah, I thought the same too, and almost put "in". But "on" feels more natural to me, and "in" feels weird, which I think is indicative of my hearing and using "on" more often. I guess the idea is that the month is seen as a single entity, rather than the collection of multiple days?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-12, 21:55

dEhiN wrote:But "on" feels more natural to me, and "in" feels weird, which I think is indicative of my hearing and using "on" more often. I guess the idea is that the month is seen as a single entity, rather than the collection of multiple days?

Personally, I think it's interference from "birthday"; "on their birthday" is a far far more frequent collocations than "on their birthday month". Try it with other phrases:

"crappy weather on the fourth month of the year"
"crappy weather on last month"
"crappy weather on April"

YMMV, but none of these work IMD.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-04-12, 22:02

linguoboy wrote:Try it with other phrases:

"crappy weather on the fourth month of the year"
"crappy weather on last month"
"crappy weather on April"

YMMV, but none of these work IMD.

For me, the first one works, the second one doesn't and sounds better without a preposition ("crappy weather last month"), and the third only works with "in". So I guess it's just dialect-specific prepositional usage. I know usage can vary quite a bit across dialects, but it still surprises me that even prepositional usage can vary!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-12, 22:23

dEhiN wrote:I know usage can vary quite a bit across dialects, but it still surprises me that even prepositional usage can vary!

I'm actually surprised it doesn't vary more given how extremely arbitrary it is. You're generally dealing with locational metaphors being extended to abstract entities and there are always competing ways to conceptualise them. (Heck, we even run into this issue with concrete entities, e.g. "on the plane" vs "in the car".)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-04-13, 21:44

I think I like to hold onto some belief that language isn't completely arbitrary. For me, things like prepositions are part of the framework of a house, and while the contents within can vary (i.e., meaning of nouns, verbs, etc.), if the framework can't be the same across dialects, sociolects, and idiolects of a single language, then it's like the ground being ripped from under me. :para: :D

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-04-15, 7:18

Hmmm .... hate is a quite strong word, and saying 'I hate the weather' just sounds silly to me because if I hate something, I'll find a way to change it but I cannot change the weather.
Therefore, I don't like crappy weather at all, especially on my birthday and in my birthday month.

The person after me lives somewhere where it is raining right now.
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2018-04-15, 19:04

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me lives somewhere where it is raining right now.

Not at the moment, but an hour ago it was.

The person after me is a big fan of self-sabotage.

tiuwiu

Postby tiuwiu » 2018-04-16, 15:27

Not that I know of.

The person after me wants to clean all my outside windows this week :whistle:
Please correct my mistakes. I'd really appreciate it ❤

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-16, 15:32

tiuwiu wrote:The person after me wants to clean all my outside windows this week :whistle:

Um...aren't all your windows on the outside? Or do you have a lot of transoms in your house?

The person after me doesn't do windows.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-04-17, 19:55

Nah, Linux's the one for me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The person after me will proudly display the six pack they worked so hard to get during all winter.

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2018-04-17, 21:39

No, I won't. :P

The person after me has slept outside in the last month.

Return to “English”