Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-15, 16:43

Pssht, Wikipedia is overrated anyways.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2018-02-16, 20:39

1947: Earth by Deepa Mehta

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0150433/

It was decent. Didn't care much for it at the beginning but it got better once the conflict began escalating. Not really a happy movie.

I had never seen a movie about the partition of India/Pakistan/Bangladesh and their religious tensions. I must also say I had never heard of the parsi/parsee until I saw this movie.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-02-16, 22:03

L'apparition, a French film! I never watch French films!
And I was happy to hear the biggest part of the sound track was written by the Estonian composer Arvo Pärt! I only knew Spiegel im spiegel, but the cello parts were very nice! :partyhat:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-02-16, 22:38

The Cloverfield Paradox. Very very bad.

Also there's a Brazilian character called Monk (!) Acosta (!!).
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-05, 6:01

Batty Man (2007), a documentary on homophobia within black communities in both England and Jamaica

EDIT: It's hard for me to watch something like this, let alone critique it, especially because I feel like it has personal implications.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-03-05, 23:58

Bright, a mashup of Training Day with Lord of the Rings produced by Netflix and starring (featuring?) Will Smith.

There should be more movies like that.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-06, 0:06

Osias wrote:starring (featuring?)

I'd say "starring."

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-03-06, 0:10

Also Black Panther. It's good. But I like more the movies with cross-overs and universe building than the ones featuring a single hero.

Greene

Postby Greene » 2018-03-18, 15:53

Osrias wrote:Also Black Panther. It's good. But I like more the movies with cross-overs and universe building than the ones featuring a single hero.

I've seen Red Sparrow the other day. It's ok but I wouldn't suggest going to theatre to see it. See it once it's available on the streaming services, or how ever you watch your movies at home.
Last edited by Greene on 2021-11-08, 14:34, edited 3 times in total.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-03-18, 16:07

Osias wrote:Also Black Panther. It's good. But I like more the movies with cross-overs and universe building than the ones featuring a single hero.

I went to see it this week. I enjoyed hearing the accents and Xhosa, and I loved the colours and the dresses and pretty much everything but the plot. :lol: (The plot wasn't bad either, but imo it was too predictable for my liking. You know, it made me think "I've seen this story before, what's new", and that's why I wasn't extremely thrilled by it.)

Also, I was surprised that there were people who waited for the first post-credit scene but who didn't seem to know that if there's only one post-credit scene, it's going to be at the very end and not in the middle of the credits. I wished I could've screamed at them "don't go away, it's not over yet!"

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-03-18, 21:57

This week I saw Lebanese movie The Insult. I loved it. I even took my father and little brother to the theater to see it and saw it again with them.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-27, 20:34

I saw myself a movie film! It was The death of Stalin, which opened last October but only just arrived in American art cinemas. It's one of the most harrowing comedies I've ever watched because--as one of the reviewers pointed out--the worst that happens to any chief players in Armando Iannucci's other satires of political venality is media embarrassment. Here the loser ends up being shot in the face.

Linguistically, Iannucci (who despite the name is actually Scottish) makes the interesting choice of having everyone use their ordinary speaking accent. In some cases (e.g. Liverpudlian Jason Isaacs playing General Zhukov) it makes a certain sociological sense, but in others (notably American actors Jeffrey Tambor and Steve Buscemi, who play Malenkov and Khrushchev, respectively) it doesn't and some viewers found it jarring for that reason. But, as Iannucci explained in interviews, forcing everyone to adopt the same accent (like the sort of faintly Russian mid-Atlantic preferred for this sort of thing) would have killed the comedy. I hope more directors--both comedic and otherwise--take note.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-04-09, 6:12

I just finished rewatching Veer-Zaara (2004), making myself question what I thought of it the first time I saw it. At first, I was irritated, just like I was the first time I watched it, by the way Pakistani men were portrayed in it as shallow, sexist, inhumane, etc. whereas Pakistani women (but not Indian women!) were portrayed as being oh so persecuted and all Indians were portrayed as just peachy (and not Pakistan-hating at all, nope, nosiree!). Having seen it again, though, I think most or maybe even all the Pakistani male characters behave more humanely in their final scenes.

I've also started to find Amitabh Bachchan's character annoying. He is basically a zamindar or landlord in some random village, so...really? He's that enthusiastic about having a Pakistani guest? And the moment she points out inherent sexism in his village, he's like "oh you are so right and so smart! I totally never thought we might be sexist in all the sixty-plus years I've lived, yet I agree instantaneously with a complete stranger from my country's biggest political enemy and am going to change things for the better without being directly asked in the middle of a local holiday!" He sounds like a character created just to make the right-wing Hindus in the audience feel good.

It's also probably not as realistic as I thought it was. It's a great story, though. Definitely worth watching! Even if you haven't seen anything else from Bollywood.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-09, 15:15

I thought I'd watched Veer-Zaara, but the plot summary doesn't sound familiar in the least.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-04-09, 17:05

Re-watched "Guardians of the Galaxy" yesterday.

- It's funny how in a so complex movie they kept in the final script and final edition lines of dialogue with the characters explaining very simple things for the audience, like "He turned off the artificial gravity" which we just saw on screen. It's funny not because it's a mistake, but because I like to see how they know exactly what they are doing, and what they need and don't need to explain, and what their audience is.

- A reviewer of Feminist Frequency said the movie has no female extras, and very few women. She is wrong, I noticed several. In the ravagers ships there were only males, sure, but they are pirates.

- I still say if I was a kid that movie would be my favorite. It is not only because I saw 'Return of Jedi' as a kid, so I already have a favorite.

- The space backgrounds are very colorful, not only stars against a dark sky, but I think they exaggerated. There should be some traditional backgrounds, it's a huge galaxy, some places are darker, some places have less stars and gas clouds.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-09, 17:22

Osias wrote: - I still say if I was a kid that movie would be my favorite. It is not only because I saw 'Return of Jedi' as a kid, so I already have a favorite.

That second sentence is a garden path. Seeing "not only" automatically makes me expect a "but also" later on.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-04-09, 18:15

Can I start it with "Only because..."?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-04-09, 18:33

I guess. I would say, "The only reason why it isn't is because..."
linguoboy wrote:I thought I'd watched Veer-Zaara, but the plot summary doesn't sound familiar in the least.

It's really unusual for a Bollywood movie, however plain the title may be. It's honestly the only one I can think of where one of the title characters is Pakistani.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-04-09, 19:18

Osias wrote:Can I start it with "Only because..."?

I think the best fix is to insert a "but", i.e. "It is not, but only because..."

vijayjohn wrote:
linguoboy wrote:I thought I'd watched Veer-Zaara, but the plot summary doesn't sound familiar in the least.

It's really unusual for a Bollywood movie, however plain the title may be. It's honestly the only one I can think of where one of the title characters is Pakistani.

Yeah, that part of it sounds really familiar. But I can't access any visuals for the scenes described in the summary. I guess I just need to view a trailer or something.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-04-09, 19:43

linguoboy wrote:But I can't access any visuals for the scenes described in the summary. I guess I just need to view a trailer or something.

Hmm, I'm not sure the official trailer would really help because it's basically just a bunch of five-second (or shorter) clips from the movie. :P But what about this part?
Wikipedia wrote:Saamiya takes Zaara back to Pakistan to tell the court the truth about Veer's identity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo6iAkSoraY
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2018-04-10, 0:29, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Culture”