Labour laws [split]

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.
vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Labour laws [split]

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-19, 3:08

linguoboy wrote:I find it endlessly interesting that Google Translate is a first choice for so many when for me it's almost always a last resort. My reflex in a situation like this is to go to the Wiktionary page for "you're welcome" and see if the language I want is represented.

Same, but then I never use my phone, and IINM Google Translate is often an option that's readily available on phones whereas Wiktionary isn't. (Okay, actually, I do use my phone a bit more often these days than I used to but only because I need something to do during my mandatory break time at work and that's the only time I can find songs in obscure languages on YouTube!).

księżycowy

Re: 2018 blog - księżyc

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-19, 9:17

"Mandatory break time"? You have to take a break or your fired?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-19, 17:31

księżycowy wrote:"Mandatory break time"? You have to take a break or your fired?

Something like that, apparently! We're required to take one 15-minute break before lunch and another after, on paid time.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-19, 17:49

You made it initially sound like they designated the time, place, etc.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-19, 17:49

vijayjohn wrote:
księżycowy wrote:"Mandatory break time"? You have to take a break or your fired?

Something like that, apparently! We're required to take one 15-minute break before lunch and another after, on paid time.

These are Federally mandated, as is a half-hour lunch (unpaid). The employers could be fined.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-19, 17:55

Oh, I know. I work in a public school. I'm suppose to take two breaks and a lunch too. (Though I hardly ever take what I would consider an actual 15 min. break :P ).
You were probably talking to Vijay, but whatever. Lol

I just though it was amusing how Vijay specified it was mandatory. I'd just call it a break, mandatory or not.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

2018 blog - księżyc

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-19, 18:36

It's ridiculous in my opinion, which is why I like making fun of it and calling it "mandatory." I mean, I get the rationale that you shouldn't just work yourself to death or whatever, but at the same time, it's not like we're ever allowed to take more than fifteen minutes per break. They make it exactly fifteen minutes, no more, no less, as if there was any particular reason why Fifteen Minutes is the magic number of minutes you need to take a break.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-19, 18:47

Maybe if you gave a little more thought to why rules like that were instituted in the first place (namely that workers were being allowed no breaks at all, not even to urinate), you'd find them a bit less "ridiculous".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-19, 18:52

No, I get that. But I still think their current form is ridiculous, at least where I work and we have to make sure it's recorded that we took a break for exactly fifteen minutes and no more. And there are various other restrictions on it, too: We're only allowed to take two breaks of fifteen continuous minutes each (not, say, one break of seven minutes, another of eight minutes, another of five minutes, and another of ten minutes), and we can't take either of them immediately after we come in, immediately before we leave, or immediately before or after lunch. One break is supposed to precede lunch, and the other is supposed to follow it.

Basically, I think it's a poorly thought-out solution to a legitimate problem.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-03-19, 19:57

vijayjohn wrote:And there are various other restrictions on it, too: We're only allowed to take two breaks of fifteen continuous minutes each (not, say, one break of seven minutes, another of eight minutes, another of five minutes, and another of ten minutes), and we can't take either of them immediately after we come in, immediately before we leave, or immediately before or after lunch. One break is supposed to precede lunch, and the other is supposed to follow it.

Again, there are reasons for each and every one of these restrictions. They weren't invented out of whole cloth just to mess with you; each was a response to a particular set of abuses which companies engaged in before these regulations went into effect.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-19, 21:10

linguoboy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:And there are various other restrictions on it, too: We're only allowed to take two breaks of fifteen continuous minutes each (not, say, one break of seven minutes, another of eight minutes, another of five minutes, and another of ten minutes), and we can't take either of them immediately after we come in, immediately before we leave, or immediately before or after lunch. One break is supposed to precede lunch, and the other is supposed to follow it.

Again, there are reasons for each and every one of these restrictions. They weren't invented out of whole cloth just to mess with you; each was a response to a particular set of abuses which companies engaged in before these regulations went into effect.

Then what set of abuses exactly was each a response to, and why does that mean the government or your employer or anyone else is a better judge of when you need to take your breaks than you are? Why is a one-size-fits-all approach legally requiring every single employee to take breaks at certain intervals, regardless of whether the employee agrees with this approach or not, better than an approach where the needs and wants of each individual employee are taken into account? Why fifteen minutes and not ten or thirty or some other number? Is it not possible that different people need breaks at different rates? Is criticism of the current approach to work breaks unwarranted? Why or why not? I'm looking for answers to all of these questions but finding answers to none of them.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-19, 21:25

Maybe we can move this conversation elsewhere? :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-19, 21:33

Okay. How and where?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-19, 22:53

"We" was a nice way to say "you guys". Just to be clear.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-20, 3:25

Sorry. :(

księżycowy

Re: Labour laws [split]

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-20, 9:16

No worries. :)

Don't let me stop you guys from continuing your conversation.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-20, 23:37

If anyone is to be blamed for stopping a conversation here, it's probably me. :para:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-20, 23:41

It's always your fault Vijay-kun. Always.

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2018-03-21, 0:23

linguoboy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:

These are Federally mandated, as is a half-hour lunch (unpaid). The employers could be fined.

Coffee breaks and lunches or however you call them aren't federally mandatory to offer or take. The only thing mandatory about coffee breaks is that they must be paid.

However, a state may have a different view.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Return to “Politics and Religion”