TAC - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

voron
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC - voron (Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic)

Postby voron » 2018-02-16, 14:00

Antea wrote:When you say videos with transcript does it mean with subtitles?

No, I mean transcript, the text of the video.

For example check this video on Euronews: http://es.euronews.com/2018/02/16/unidos-por-el-dolor
Under the video, there is the exact text of the video.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-02-16, 14:19

Ahh, Ok. I don’t remember seeing full transcripts in the channels I see. Sometimes there’s like a little summary in the explanation of the video, that tells you about the main subject, but that’s not the full text of the news.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-02-18, 0:16

I've written a simple program that generates Anki cards for the Quran automatically. My card looks like this:

The first line is an ayah, the second line is the surah number, ayah number and the surah's name, and the audio recording (on an external website). The last line is the translation. (Or rather, explanation or tafsir; in Islamic tradition it's wrong to say that the Quran is translated).

I've chosen a tafsir in Russian which matches the Arabic text almost 1-1, so I can easily guess which word is which. (I'd go for Turkish but 1-1 is impossible between Arabic and Turkish.)

Also, following Karavinka's advice, I've removed the limits on max new cards and max reviews per day. The whole thing looks very cool... Let's see how effective it is.

And one more change. I've dropped Turkish and archived my Anki deck. :roll: I'll be in Turkey in just 1 week so I'm pretty sure I won't lose it, and I can always decide to improve it later. So now I only have Kurmanji Kurdish and Arabic (different registers) on the plate.

My new schedule will now look like this:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday - Kurdish days
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - Arabic days
Sunday - whatever I feel like

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-02-18, 0:42

voron wrote:I've written a simple program that generates Anki cards for the Quran automatically

What programming language did you use? I assume you're creating CSV files and then importing them into Anki, right? :hmm:
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-02-18, 15:48

Luís wrote:What programming language did you use?

C#.

I assume you're creating CSV files and then importing them into Anki, right?

Yes.

There is one super nice feature I've got with my card format. To play the audio I use this template:

Code: Select all

[sound:http://everyayah.com/data/aziz_alili_128kbps/{{Audio}}.mp3]

where Audio is the note's field which contains the surah and the ayah number, for example "114006". By simply changing the link in the card, I get audios from a different reciter.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-02-19, 13:02

Houston, we have a problem.

I've noticed that I don't find reviewing my Arabic deck enjoyable. I postpone it until later of the day and want to be done through it fast; whereas for my other decks, I'm looking forward to revising them. (And I'm especially enjoying my new Quran deck, it's just so awesome to listen to recitations while practicing the cards).

It means that the Arabic deck has to go. As soon as something stops being enjoyable, it doesn't have a chance. And I'll replace it with something else. I'm thinking about this: http://subs2srs.sourceforge.net/. And a candidate film to be used with it is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingdom_of_Solomon. I have found both Arabic and English subtitles for it, so it should work with the subs2srs tool.

This is of course for MSA. As for the dialect, if I like using subs2srs, I may create my own subtitle files for songs and use the tool for songs (because sadly, there is no chance I can find a film subtitled in a dialect).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-19, 23:05

voron wrote:And a candidate film to be used with it is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingdom_of_Solomon.

Wow, an Iranian movie with a Chinese composer from Hong Kong? :lol:

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-02-20, 19:41

vijayjohn wrote:Wow, an Iranian movie with a Chinese composer from Hong Kong? :lol:

Yeah and I want to use it to learn Arabic, isn't it awesome. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fifsynRWZEU
Sounds great, doesn't it.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-02-21, 13:53

And I got reminded once again that wanting a film where subtitles exactly repeat the sound is wanting too much.

I checked "The kingdom of Solomon" and a couple more films and yeah, all available (Arabic) subtitles for them are different from the (Arabic) sound. This is driving me crazy. Those people who do the dubbing, they read it from the script anyway, is it so difficult to share it with the public? :twisted:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-02-21, 14:49

I'm curious, when foreign movies are dubbed into Arabic, do they use MSA or dialects? (in which case there might be several versions)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-02-21, 19:43

Luís wrote:I'm curious, when foreign movies are dubbed into Arabic, do they use MSA or dialects?

I'd assume MSA, but honestly I don't know. I tried to google a bit and all I found was subtitled.
Most Disney cartoons are dubbed into the Egyptian dialect.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-02-21, 20:06

For instance, this or this.

I guess MSA would allow movies / TV series to more more easily distributed throughout the Arab world, but on the other hand it could sound a bit unnatural (especially if the situation in the movie is pretty casual).

הענט

Postby הענט » 2018-02-24, 19:12

voron wrote:And I got reminded once again that wanting a film where subtitles exactly repeat the sound is wanting too much.

I checked "The kingdom of Solomon" and a couple more films and yeah, all available (Arabic) subtitles for them are different from the (Arabic) sound. This is driving me crazy. Those people who do the dubbing, they read it from the script anyway, is it so difficult to share it with the public? :twisted:

THIS happens to me all the time!!!! Grrr. You have two different translations from the original language. There are some exceptions though (Hungarian dubs and subs seem to be syncd).

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2018-02-25, 5:44

When I use subtitles, I just patiently copy from the screen. (Of course, that's when it's subbed in the target language, and is going to be text only.)

When the spoken language gets a little long and hence needs a few lines of subtitles, unless the language has almost a mirror word order, the subtitled segment will likely not match the spoken language. I toyed around with Subs2SRS several years ago and gave up on it because of that. (And finding a clean set of subs is also a pain.)

הענט

Postby הענט » 2018-02-25, 11:03

Я никогда не буду использовать Анки. Ввод данных занимает больше времени, чем фактическое изучение языка. (По моему мнению.)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-02-26, 9:51

הענט wrote:Я никогда не буду использовать Анки. Ввод данных занимает больше времени, чем фактическое изучение языка. (По моему мнению.)

Это правда; поэтому я пытаюсь найти методы, которые позволяют ускорять создание карт.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-02-26, 13:36

I am back to Turkey; was busy with relocation and stuff so couldn't study for a few days, except for my Quran cards.

Speaking of my Quran studies, they are going good. I have 344 cards added -- each card is an ayah -- from surahs 99-85. (I am going backwards; the surahs in the Quran are roughly sorted from the longest to the shortest, except for the first one which is short. They don't make a continuous story; rather, each surah is a separate story, so the order doesn't matter).

I've also understood something about my learning preferences. Sound seems to be of paramount importance for me. I just love hearing how the cards sound. Keeping this in mind, perhaps I can create audio cards for the Syrian dialect too -- by subtitling songs, and the resources from GLOSS and DLIFLC, and then using the subs2srs program. Also, card creation shouldn't take too much time; I should experiment to find the right balance.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-02-26, 19:59

A travel program in Kurmanji Kurdish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRDJpNCPlws

The host travels Kurdish-speaking areas of Turkey, so in this program you can hear all kinds of Kurmanji dialects spoken in Turkey.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-02-28, 2:57

Very unfortunately I've fallen sick, just when I have to deal with all the chores re the residence permit. :(

I was fine in the -20C cold back at home, but here 0C seemed like really warm so I didn't care enough about the warm clothes.

I've taken a day off for tomorrow, and if I don't feel too sick I'll eat out at a Syrian cafe just next to my house, and try to chat with the stuff. (Enough with the shyness!)

Some more random observations about language learning. Karavinka was right that the recall mode in Anki can be off-putting. I now realize that when I said that studying Arabic alone was boring, it wasn't exactly because I needed diversity, it was because my way of studying was exhausting and not fun, and I used other langs as retreat into the fun area.

Recall works fine for me for Turkish and Kurdish, but for Arabic I'll try recognition. I wonder, if I use subs2srs with films, where the front of my card will only be the audio (and an image) -- since I can't find subtitles in Arabic, and the back will be the English translation -- will it be fun? I'll try it... (As for the usefulness -- I don't care much about it: anything is useful as long as it's regular, and studying something is definitely more useful than not studying at all).

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2018-02-28, 3:16

(ar) (Quranic studies)
380 cards (all reviewed). Not bad for just 10 days!

Result? I can read more or less fluently the surahs I've studied and understand every word. As for the grammar, I already know more or less everything about MSA's grammar, so I can correctly identify grammar forms in the text.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”