TAC 2018 - Salajane

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2018 - Irusia (et, es, pt, tl, id)

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-14, 10:33

księżycowy wrote:Congrats on becoming a mod! :D

Thanks! :D
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-14, 13:56

I have finished my internship (there were many other comments about what word is more suitable, but those who commented don't seem to have agreed on one option, so I'll continue to use this word), so now I will hopefully have more time for studying languages.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-14, 13:59

Personally, I'd say it's a good enough word.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2018-02-15, 15:46

Tagalog has a nicer phonology, but Indonesian or Malay are still higher on my list. :) Damn I already have about ten langs ready for my TAC. I have to resist the lust or I will relapse again. :)

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-17, 0:20

Thanks for the various Austronesian threads Irusia! I wonder if we should make a UL Austronesian Café thread though, given that many of the languages are somewhat unintelligible (e.g. Tagalog and Balinese, Indonesian/Malay and Māori, etc.).

What do you think? Need we add an exceptional rule (i.e. all sentences need to be given English translation) for the thread if we make one?
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-17, 5:30

We've already done that for both the Uralic Café and the Afroasiatic Café.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-17, 10:25

One suggestion: open it up to more languages. As in, if Austronesian languages are going in the Pacific forum, make a Pacific café.

I'd make the same suggestion for the Austronesian specific games that were made in the SEA forum.

This would give these threads the best chance to continue to be active, and you guys can obviously still use Austronesian languages in them. But it's just my suggestion.

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-17, 11:18

księżycowy wrote:One suggestion: open it up to more languages. As in, if Austronesian languages are going in the Pacific forum, make a Pacific café.

I'd make the same suggestion for the Austronesian specific games that were made in the SEA forum.

This would give these threads the best chance to continue to be active, and you guys can obviously still use Austronesian languages in them. But it's just my suggestion.

It's just a matter of time waiting for the new subforum. Once it comes out, I will make the thread, that's for sure.
Also, does that mean the Pacific café can only have Austronesian languages not spoken in SEA, I'm wondering?

vijayjohn wrote:We've already done that for both the Uralic Café and the Afroasiatic Café.

I've checked out the Uralic café thread, but not the Afroasiatic one. May I see it?
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-17, 11:44

You're welcome, Atalarikt! :D I created the Austronesian "person below me" thread specifically for you, because I knew you're interested in those languages, and because games for specific languages would not be very active, since we do not have an Austonesian in common (except Indonesian, maybe, but this one has its own forum). I can rename those threads after the Pacific forum gets created.
I think an Austronesian cafe is a good idea.
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-17, 11:46

księżycowy wrote:One suggestion: open it up to more languages. As in, if Austronesian languages are going in the Pacific forum, make a Pacific café.

I think we can call it Austronesian cafe now, and after the Pacific forum is created, we can rename it.
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-17, 12:01

Right. I wouldn't name it "Pacific Cafe" until after we get our forum.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-17, 12:12

atalarikt wrote:Also, does that mean the Pacific café can only have Austronesian languages not spoken in SEA, I'm wondering?

Based on my understanding of were we landed with our Pacific Forum proposal, most Austronesian languages (95%?) would be in the Pacific forum, and thus apply to the Pacific Cafe as well. Only the few that are spoken in mainland SEA would be excluded.

Or not. Considering how many there are on the mainland I don't think it really matters. :P

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-17, 19:21

(id) I have almost finished the first chapter of the A1 textbook.

Here is the list of new words / Kata-kata baru:
bab - chapter
setelah - after
mempelajari - to study
materi - material
pada - to :?:
pemelajar - learner
diharapkan - to be expected
mampu - to be able

Setelah mempelajari materi pada unit, pemelar diharapkan mampu ...
After studying the material from the unit, a learner is expected to be able ... :?:

menyapa - to greet
berpamitan - to say goodbye
mengucapkan / ucapan - to say
meminta - to ask for
menanggapi - to respond, to reply
sapaan - greeting

persiapan - preparation
negara - country
ungkapan - expression
di bawah - below, under

Dari negara manakah ungkapan-ungkapan di bawah ini?
From which country are the expressions below?

menyimak - listening
berbicara - speaking
menulis - writing
kegiatan - activity

simaklah - listen (is it the imperative?)
percakapan - conversation
saling - each other
perhatikanlah - pay attention
kata - word
dicetak - to be printed
tebal - bold

Simaklah percakapan dua orang yang saling menyapa! Perhatikanlah kata-kata yang dicetak tebal!
Listen to the conversations of two people who greet each other. Pay attention to the words which are printed in bold.

harus - must, have to
segera - soon
tidak apa-apa - nothing
tinggal - to remain, to live (in a place)
kosakata - vocabulary
siang - afternoon
sore - evening
malam - night
maaf, permisi, mohon maaf - sorry (what's the difference?)
saya pamit - I say goodbye :?:
sampai jumpa - see you later

lengkapilah - complete
berikut - next, following

praktikkanlah - practice
di atas - above
bersama - together with
teman, sahabat - friend
kelas - class
contoh - example
di dekat - near, close
saja - only, just (Saya baik-baik saja - why is it used here?)
salam hormat - ? (beginning of a letter)
Natal - Christmas
Tahun Baru - New Year
semoga - I hope, I wish, hopefully :?:
sukses - success
bertemu - to meet
lagi - again
depan - ?
salam - ? (in the end of a letter)
alamat - adress
pos elektronik (pos-el) - email

jawablah - answer

salinlah - copy
digunakan - to be used
sesuai - appropriate
keterangan - information

Salinlah ungkapan-ungkapan yang digunakan Santi dalam pos-elnya sesuai dengan keterangan di bawah ini!
Copy the expressions which are used by Santi in his/her email ... :?:

menanyakan - to ask (a question)
pengirim - sender
tanggal - date
penerima - receiver
salam pembuka - ?
inti - ?
surat - letter
mengakhiri - to finish
salam penutup - ?
buatlah - to create, to make up
draf - draft
tabel - table
tulisan - writing
guru - teacher
kembali - again; back
berdasarkan - on the basis
masukan - ?

1. What does -kah mean?
2. Is -lah an imperative sufix?
3. What is the difference between di and dalam?
4. Are these names male or female: Santi, Beni, Harnita, Mandra, Lukas (I guess this one is male), Panji, Ahmad (I guess this one is male too), Sari, Hainun, Dimas, Sarah (this one must be female), Lia (also female), Andini, Hikmat, Wawan?
TAC 2019

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-18, 1:32

Irusia wrote:pada - to :?:
Setelah mempelajari materi pada unit, pemelajar diharapkan mampu ...
After studying the material from the unit, a learner is expected to be able ... :?:

"Pemelajar" is a very formal word that I haven't heard of before. The most common forms would be "siswa" or "murid". Either way, it's nice to know more about my mother language! Also, the translations, both the "pada" word and the sentence are exactly correct.

Irusia wrote:simaklah - listen (is it the imperative?)
lengkapilah - complete
praktikkanlah - practice
jawablah - answer
salinlah - copy

2. Is -lah an imperative sufix?

Indeed it is. Every verb with the "-lah" suffix in Indonesian always turns into imperative.

Irusia wrote:maaf, permisi, mohon maaf - sorry, excuse me (what's the difference?)
saya pamit - I say goodbye :?:

"Maaf", "permisi" and "mohon maaf" are similar in this context. It's just a matter of which word you prefer more.
"Saya pamit" can also be translated to "I leave" in a polite context.

Irusia wrote:saja - only, just (Saya baik-baik saja - why is it used here?)
salam hormat - ? (beginning of a letter)

"Saja" functions as an intensifier in this context (i.e. "I'm exactly fine"). As for "salam hormat", it means "respectful greetings", usually delivered towards older people.

Irusia wrote:semoga - I hope, I wish, hopefully :?:

Correct! Those are exactly what it means.

Irusia wrote:depan - ?
salam - ? (in the end of a letter)

"Depan" usually means "in front of", while "salam" acts like "regards" when put in the end of a letter.

Irusia wrote:sesuai - appropriate, according to
Salinlah ungkapan-ungkapan yang digunakan Santi dalam pos-elnya sesuai dengan keterangan di bawah ini!
Copy the expressions used by Santi in her email according to the information below!

Fixed those for you. :wink:

Irusia wrote:salam pembuka - *see explanation after quote*
inti - core
surat - letter
mengakhiri - to finish
salam penutup - *see explanation after quote*
berdasarkan - on the basis, based on
masukan - input, suggestion

In Islam, it is a custom to deliver salam before and after talking (i.e. Assalamu'alaikum & wassalamu'alaikum). "Salam pembuka" and "salam penutup" are the "secularized" forms of respective words.

Irusia wrote:1. What does -kah mean?

It indicates that the said sentences are questions. It is used in words such as "apa", "di mana", "siapa", etc., even some nouns.

Irusia wrote:3. What is the difference between di and dalam?

"Di" can mean "inside/in", but also "at" and "on" (depending on the context). You can also use "di dalam" to say "inside/in".

Irusia wrote:4. Are these names male or female: Santi, Beni, Harnita, Mandra, Lukas (I guess this one is male), Panji, Ahmad (I guess this one is male too), Sari, Hainun, Dimas, Sarah (this one must be female), Lia (also female), Andini, Hikmat, Wawan?

Male names: Beni, Mandra, Lukas, Panji, Ahmad, Dimas, Hikmat, Wawan
Female names: Santi, Harnita, Sari, Hainun, Sarah, Lia, Andini
Last edited by atalarikt on 2018-02-24, 9:41, edited 1 time in total.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-18, 13:01

Terima kasih banyak, Atalarikt!
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-18, 20:41

Plans for the next week:
(id) Finish 4 more chapters of the textbook.
(es) Read 5 short stories.
(et) Revise the vocabulary learned during the previous semester + learn 300 new words.
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-20, 19:27

(et) I had my first Estonian class after the holidays today. I realized that I'd forgot a lot and need to revise many things. I was contantly searching for words when I tried to express my thoughts. :oops: But I hope I will recall everything quickly.
TAC 2019

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-02-22, 17:03

Irusia wrote:(et) I had my first Estonian class after the holidays today. I realized that I'd forgot a lot and need to revise many things. I was contantly searching for words when I tried to express my thoughts. :oops: But I hope I will recall everything quickly.

What kind of Estonian course are you taking? What materials do they use? Tbh I did not realize you were taking a course right now, that's cool. How often do you have this course? Ma kadestan sind. :D

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-23, 17:07

Linguaphile wrote:What kind of Estonian course are you taking? What materials do they use? Tbh I did not realize you were taking a course right now, that's cool. How often do you have this course? Ma kadestan sind. :D

I am taking an Estonian course in my university. During the three years I've been taking the course we've used various materials. At the moment, we're using "K nagu Kihnu" (AFAIK, it hasn't been published yet) and we also practice speaking using various games. Last semester, we had 3 classes a week (2 language classes + 1 literature class), but, as I understand, now we're going to have only 2 classes a week.
TAC 2019

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-02-24, 0:00

Irusia wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:What kind of Estonian course are you taking? What materials do they use? Tbh I did not realize you were taking a course right now, that's cool. How often do you have this course? Ma kadestan sind. :D

I am taking an Estonian course in my university. During the three years I've been taking the course we've used various materials. At the moment, we're using "K nagu Kihnu" (AFAIK, it hasn't been published yet) and we also practice speaking using various games. Last semester, we had 3 classes a week (2 language classes + 1 literature class), but, as I understand, now we're going to have only 2 classes a week.

Yeah, I am sooo jealous. First of all because there are no opportunities to take a course like that in a normal classroom setting here, secondly because you've somehow managed to be using a book that isn't even available yet.... LOL. Is it the same author as E nagu Eesti and T nagu Tallinn? If so do you know how it fits into the series (is it the second level after E nagu Eesti or the third level after T nagu Tallinn or are there others? Not that it matters much because I doubt it will be available here even after it's been published... the only one in the series that is (relatively) easy to find here is E nagu Eesti.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”