YouTube Channels

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

IpseDixit
Re: YouTube Channels

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-07-07, 19:37

vijayjohn wrote:I think all the Japanese people in this video have stronger accents when speaking (or attempting to speak) English, for example :P

But those people are presumably beginners with no knowledge of English so it's obvious they would have a stronger accent.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-07-07, 19:45

IpseDixit wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I think all the Japanese people in this video have stronger accents when speaking (or attempting to speak) English, for example :P

But those people are presumably beginners with no knowledge of English so it's obvious they would have a stronger accent.

Okay, how about this one then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXZwGYBxTf0

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-09-25, 13:45

(en-us) Sam O'Nella Academy (Hilarious channel mainly about random educational stuff)
(en-us) ContraPoints (A channel about politics which has the merit of combining good quality contents and great aesthetics (for a YT video))
(fr) Linguisticae (a channel about linguistics)

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-11-26, 14:53

I bought a video download of Just for Graphs, a standup comedy show about ...graphs, which is one-third Matt Parker ((en-gb)(en-au)) of Youtube fame.

I love it.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-11-28, 10:22

(en-US) Matt Baume (about LGBT issues)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-01, 9:45

Mexican Spanish (es-MX) Telemundo Novelas, one of American Spanish channel Telemundo's YouTube channels, including at least one telenovela with subs available both in Spanish and in English (en)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-12-01, 10:26

*cries in Spanish*
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-25, 3:55

minerva scientia, a Japanese polyglot reading samples in various obscure languages, especially languages spoken in Japan. It seems as if all videos include translations into both Standard Japanese and English.
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2019-08-03, 2:50, edited 1 time in total.

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-01, 2:45

I don't know if this has been posted before, but Chef Rafi is a good channel for those who like to cook (especially fish) while learning languages at the same time.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-01, 2:51

Nope, you're the first person to mention him. :o That looks interesting, thanks for sharing! :)

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-04, 14:10

vijayjohn wrote:minerva scientia, a Japanese polyglot reading samples in various obscure language, especially languages spoken in Japan. It seems as if all videos include translations into both Standard Japanese and English.

So I was looking for the channel and stumbled upon this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma9L3n_DKQg
A cover of an anime OP in a Native American language? Sign me in!
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

Koko

Postby Koko » 2018-02-12, 0:31

(en-ca) Stef Sanjati

https://youtu.be/rq2jgM9kMlg

^her most recent video

I love her so much, she's one of my favourite people ever. She talks about LGBTQ+ topics, particularly regarding being trans, and specifically a trans woman because that's her experience. Also she endorses punching nazis in the face :3

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-07-31, 9:59

Koko wrote:(en-ca) Stef Sanjati

I love her so much, she's one of my favourite people ever. She talks about LGBTQ+ topics, particularly regarding being trans, and specifically a trans woman because that's her experience. Also she endorses punching nazis in the face :3

I discovered her yesterday thanks to another channel that I've started following:

(en-ca) uppercaseCHASE1

---

And here are the channels I want to suggest today:

(it) cimdrp (mainly about feminism and LGBT+ issues)

(es) varfunfun (about philology, linguistics and books)

(it) Barbaroffa (about current events, languages (he's an interpreter), communication and other miscellaneous things. It's a good channel for people learning Italian because he speaks quite slowly and has a standard accent, I guess he took some diction courses)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-04-08, 16:55

I just realized no one else has mentioned Canadian English (en-CA) Bahador Alast yet.

md0

Postby md0 » 2022-07-16, 10:28

Last night I watched a YouTube video by a woman and it hit me that this rarely happens. So I decided to sit down and see my subscription list. Only 4/75 of the YouTubers I follow are non-male, and of them only 1 has a regular publishing schedule.

It's an extreme disparity, although I don't think I will subscribe to last night's YouTuber because her topics are usually US social politics and while sometimes that can be interesting, I don't need regular updates.

I guess I will be going back in this thread to see what I can find.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2023-04-07, 3:23

(fr) Le Nouveau Programme - A series of documentaries about 20th-century architecture, so far focusing on France, Brazil and Algeria. I’d recommend it for learners; the host, Mohamed Gholam, has crystal-clear diction. It’d also be a good choice for a speaker of another Romance language who wants to check their passive understanding of French. (I remember Ciarán asking me for suggestions quite a while ago.) The only “problem” is the slow upload schedule.

(fr) La Suite de Trop - Humorous reviews of bad movie sequels. The jokes and faster delivery might make it less accessible for learners. On the other hand, since the videos are usually about popular film franchises, you’re likely to be familiar with the subject matter.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Return to “Culture”