What have you given up on?

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Re: What have you given up on?

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-30, 20:29

linguoboy wrote:
Luís wrote:
Luís wrote:I decided not to give up on German after all. I'm going to finish the book I'm currently going through (just a few more pages left) and keep on doing my daily Anki reviews. I won't be studying it actively (or adding new words to Anki) after that, though

I decided to archive my Anki deck today.

Sorry German. It's not you, it's me.

Aww...puppiez! Luís, how could you be so cruel??
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-30, 20:46

Because he's scared of puppies like me! :twisted:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-30, 20:47

What, you don't like dogs Vijay-nyan?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-30, 21:06

Not really. That's why I'm a cat, księżycowy-nya. :hmpf: Or at least a feline.

But yeah, I'm pretty scared of puppies specifically. :( I don't necessarily mind older dogs or ones that are relatively well trained, but I have a personal space, and I don't like it when someone or something enters it without permission (if that makes any sense? I'm not sure whether I'm expressing it clearly enough).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-30, 22:03

I personally hate dogs. I can deal with puppies, but I hate dogs. Anything that is large enough to rip my face off is too big. *Shudder*

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-31, 2:58

Any dog that won't fit in my hand is too big for me. It actually amuses me a bit when people call such a dog a "puppy" even though it really is one. :P In fact, it reminds me of this (see especially the bottom-left corner ("he's ønly å puppy!")).

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-01-31, 11:37

Wow, on the contrary I only love big dogs! The dog I really fancy is a (black) Great Dane but someone here at home disagrees with it :lol: It's true they are gigantic (and so require gigantic food and will make gigantic poo in my garden). Tiny dogs are noisy and nervous so I don't like them. I really prefer the quiet and loving temper of a huge dog... :silly:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-31, 13:10

To be clear, I don't like those small yippie dogs either. If anything, I have a disdain for all dogs. When as a child you've been chased and violently assaulted* by as many dogs as I have, you grown to loathe the hellspawn.

I can handle well-behaved dogs. But it takes a bit for me to warm up to even those.

*No, I was not violently assaulted, but only because I was able to get away. Though I would stake my life on the fact that it they had gotten ahold of me that one time I may not be sitting here typing this.....

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-31, 15:08

I love dogs; I grew up loving them and pretty much all animals. But even more so since about 2013 when my sister got a dog. I've spent a fair amount of time walking her dog, which is a Sheppard-Husky mix, and was gotten from the Humane Society. But I'm still wary of other dogs when on the street. I've been chased by small dogs before while minding my open business. I was even bit once on the ankle by a small dog that the owner, for some reason, couldn't seem to control. I so desperately wanted to kick that dog high sky, even if it meant the dog got hurt, but I'm not cruel like that. Since that incident though I'm a lot more cautious around small dogs.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-31, 15:14

I've been chased by medium to large sized dogs. The face ripping off kind.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-31, 15:16

księżycowy wrote:I've been chased by medium to large sized dogs. The face ripping off kind.

Fortunately I haven't been, but they would be a lot scarier.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-31, 15:27

I hate dogs.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-31, 15:29

Geez, that's awful that you've been chased by dogs so much. Now you know part of the reason why there have been times when I'm scared to go outside. :shock: (The other part of the reason is wasps).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-31, 15:33

And we used to have a dog too. But she was a great dog. Very well behaved, and very calm temperament, etc. It wasn't until after she died that I became a lot less of a dog person. Though I didn't like other dogs much while we had her.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-22, 5:37

I think I've given up on the idea of taking my TAC for granted while keeping up with all the study groups. :para:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-22, 19:25

vijayjohn wrote:I think I've given up on the idea of taking my TAC for granted while keeping up with all the study groups. :para:

Could you incorporate the study groups into your TAC? For example, when you get around to Turkish in your TAC, for example, do the study group stuff as part (or all) of your TAC for Turkish.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-22, 21:28

If the study group stuff is, say, going through Lesson 14 in First-Year Polish, how can he make that part of his Turkish study? :hmm: I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm curious what you might have in mind.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-01-23, 1:08

księżycowy wrote:If the study group stuff is, say, going through Lesson 14 in First-Year Polish, how can he make that part of his Turkish study? :hmm: I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm curious what you might have in mind.

I was thinking that he wouldn't do Lesson 14 until he got to Polish. Then do Lesson 14 for Polish, then move on to the next language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-23, 6:00

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I think I've given up on the idea of taking my TAC for granted while keeping up with all the study groups. :para:

Could you incorporate the study groups into your TAC? For example, when you get around to Turkish in your TAC, for example, do the study group stuff as part (or all) of your TAC for Turkish.

Of course, but I haven't gotten to Turkish in my TAC yet! :lol:
księżycowy wrote:If the study group stuff is, say, going through Lesson 14 in First-Year Polish, how can he make that part of his Turkish study? :hmm:

I assume he meant what I do for the Turkish study group.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-23, 9:03

Oh, right. Duh. :P

Return to “General Language Forum”