Language List

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator
Re: "My languages" options

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-01-01, 21:26

That doesn't work in a drop-down list like the one for adding languages to your profile. It probably doesn't work very easily on mobile browsers, either.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-01, 21:27

dEhiN wrote:For the Language List page, yeah, but not on the profile page. Or rather, not for the drop-down list where you can select the languages you know or are learning to add them to your profile. Even a major language like Urdu would require a lot of scrolling if we tried to accommodate all dialects. As well, on the Language List page, while scrolling might not be an issue, load time would be because of all the flags.

Oh, that's what you meant my scrolling? Yeah, that's a bit different. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-01, 21:29

Aurinĭa wrote:It probably doesn't work very easily on mobile browsers, either.

Depends on what browser you use on your mobile device. My phone has Firefox on it, and I can easily use the "find on this page" function. Of course, that still doesn't help the drop down list.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-01-01, 21:42

No need to scroll down.

Just click the drop-down list and type a letter. You'll immediately get the first language that starts with that letter. Or even better, you can type the name of the language (or part of it). Open the drop-down list and type "Urdu".
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-01, 22:18

Look at that, problem solved! :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-01, 22:56

This doesn't work if you search for "Micmac."

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-01, 23:16

It just worked for me. :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-01, 23:21

Oh, huh, it just did for me, too. Maybe I wasn't careful enough or something. *shrug*

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-01, 23:32

I notice you have to type if at the right speed or it'll just go to the first language listed under the next letter.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-02, 1:00

Mystery solved again! :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-02, 17:30

We have all of those in the list already except Chibarwe and Mauritanian Arabic.

But anyway, no, I disagree that it's because the admins or mods have a profound lack of knowledge of African languages or cultures. It's because relatively few people outside Africa make any effort to learn anything about African cultures, even fewer make an effort to learn about African languages, and in any case, Africa has a huge number of languages, and adding all of them would make the language list impossibly long.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-01-02, 21:48

Golden Breathing wrote:It's really a shame a lot of African languages have been not added in which is a problem revealing admins/mods here have a profound absence of knowledge regarding the enormously magnificent richeness, history, value and dignity of Nilosaharan, Afroasiatic, Niger-Congo language families and African language isolates.

As Vijay said, languages that aren't on the list generally aren't because no one on here has had a need for it. We've either not had native speakers of those languages (who wanted to add those languages to their profile page), or learners of those languages. The same probably goes for the Forum Song Contests - no one has submitted a song in any of the languages that's not on the language list.

It's probably true that some of the admins/mods on here (myself included) don't know the extent of languages and languages families found in Africa. Since being part of this forum, I've learned to a degree about the various languages in Africa. But I would argue against your saying "have a profound absence of knowledge regarding the enormously magnificent richness, history, value and dignity...". All of us on this forum share one thing in common: we have an interest in languages. While some users on here might only be interested in certain languages, or might even have a dislike for certain languages, I think it's safe to say that in general, most of us have some level of appreciation for all the languages of the world. I would argue that perhaps compared to the general populous, those of us on here (mods/admins included) have more of an awareness of the richness, history, value and dignity of the world's languages. And if you don't believe me, stick around (past 9 posts) and observe.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-02, 22:51

dEhiN wrote:in general, most of us have some level of appreciation for all the languages of the world.

This I'm not so sure of. Some of us certainly do, but there is a certain amount of language snobbery and quite a bit of bigotry that does appear on this forum every now and then. But yes, you will certainly find more appreciation of this kind on this forum than in most places.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-01-03, 20:04

dEhiN wrote:
Irusia wrote:Can you add Polynesian French and New Caledonian French?

English name: Polynesian French
Native name: Français de la Polynésie française
ISO 639-3: fr-PF
Flag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Po ... ynesia.svg

English name: New Caledonian French
Native name: Français de Nouvelle-Calédonie
ISO 639-3: fr-NC
Flag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Caled ... _FLNKS.svg

Added

Golden Breathing wrote:English Name: Yevanic language (also known as Judæo-Greek)
Native Name: יעואני גלוסא‬
ISO 639-3: yej
Flag: Same as Modern Greek flag

English Name: Megleno-Romanian
Native Name: Vlăhește
ISO 639-3: ruq

Added (though the second one was created without a flag, since I don't know which one to use)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-01-04, 19:28

księżycowy wrote:English name: K'iche' Mayan
Native name: Qatzijob'al
ISO: quc
Flag: Mayan flag (same as for Kaqchikel and Yucatan Mayan)

English name: Tzotzil Mayan
Native name: Bats'i K'op
ISO: tzo
Flag: Ditto

English name: Tzetzal Mayan
Native name: Batz'il K'op
ISO: tzh

Maybe we can group the Mayan languages under the heading Mayan Languages (like we did for Yupik)? If we do that, we can probably drop the "Mayan" from the English name of these.

Added.

I'm just not sure what the native name for "Mayan languages" (ISO code myn) is. Right now, both entries are in English.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-04, 19:45

I can't imagine there is one.

Oh, and you can feel free to just use the Tibetan flag for all of the Tibetan dialects (for now at least).

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-01-06, 9:44

księżycowy wrote:E

I also wouldn't mind splitting up Tibetan into at least the following dialects:

English name: Standard Tibetan
Native name: བོད་སྐད་
ISO: bo-S
Flag: same as Tibetan

English name: Central Tibetan
Native Name: དབུས་གཙང་སྐད་
ISO: bo-C

English Name: Amdo Tibetan
Native name: ཨ་མདོ་སྐད
ISO: adx
Flag:

English name: Khams Tibetan
Native name: ཁམས་སྐད་
ISO: khg
Flag:

Done

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-06, 9:58

Thanks, Luís! :D

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2018-01-10, 6:00

Though I do wonder if there's any point in subdividing dialects too much. Just about Japanese, as it is the only one I can really speak for -- I felt baffled to see different dialects listed. To be honest, you're either native or nothing with them. And the natives tell the finer differences at the prefecture, and even county level. I understand quite a lot of major Japanese dialects, but it's not something you learn or even speak unless you have a very strong tie with a very specific city or county. I actually throw in Kansai-ben words and phrases as a "spice" from time to time, but I stay within the limits of the common phrases that are universally understood among the Japanese because if I try to go full Kansai, that'd be a hodgepodge of various subdialects with no real cohesion, which would seem comedic at best and mocking at worst. I don't really see much point in subdividing languages to different regional groups unless there's a native demand for a particular dialect.

I think it's fair to keep national variants with the languages where there is some form of standard for each national variant, but going regional and subregional? Feel free to separate this into a different topic if you see fit, Luis.

And that said.

Ancient South Arabian
Flag: N/A
Native name: N/A
ISO: xsa

I was a bit surprised when I couldn't find this on the list. This is a group of dialects that are closely related to each other, with Sabaic being the most prominent in terms of the corpus. I read this language for about 2 years in a university setting. For all practical purposes, I believe the umbrella term is sufficient for this language.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-10, 10:00

I personally see nothing wrong with dividing Japanese into dialects. Seeing as I was the one who suggested it I'll say a word about it I guess. I mean to get a flavor of a regional dialect or two during my Japanese studies. I certainly expect to mostly stick to standard Japanese and maybe, maybe stick in a regionalism here and there (but probably not even), but given that there are resources to learn a bit of say Kansai-ben, where's the harm?

I personally I'm not going to be an asshole about it and speak straight up Kansai-ben, but I can still learn a little, no?

And before any one says it, I can list it if I want to, can't I? Who cares if it only ever has one star.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2018-01-13, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”