2018 blog - IpseDixit (Nederlands, Deutsch, 日本語)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

Car
Forum Administrator
Re: 2018 blog - IpseDixit (Nederlands, עברית, 日本語)

Postby Car » 2017-12-18, 11:28

Luís wrote:
kevin wrote:
Car wrote:Based on what you post, Ladin already should give you a head start in German. :wink:

And Dutch is only a degenerated German dialect anyway. :P

So doing German gives you Dutch almost for free.

In that case he can replace Dutch with German and keep Hebrew... :P

:yep: That way, Ipse could actually use the language he's learning with native speakers.
Please correct my mistakes!

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2017-12-18, 12:22

Car wrote:
Luís wrote:
kevin wrote:
Car wrote:Based on what you post, Ladin already should give you a head start in German. :wink:

:yep: That way, Ipse could actually use the language he's learning with native speakers.

*coughs*

You could use the exact same reasoning to argue in favour of Dutch and against German. IpseDixit has chosen Dutch, let's respect his choice, eh? :wink:
And since when do UniLangers argue against a smaller and less-chosen language in favour of a bigger and more-chosen language? You should all be ashamed of yourselves! :P

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-12-18, 14:16

What a cute scene, seeing you guys quarreling over which language I should study. <3

Yeah, I think I'll procede with doing German instead of Hebrew. I need something fresh and new, I've been trying to learn Hebrew without much success for too long and I don't feel like trying again right now (sorry to let you down Luís :P ).

Dutch isn't going anywhere and I love degeneracy :P. I'm not very worried about mixing the two languages up, I mean, even if it happened, I wouldn't consider it that big of a problem.

As for Yiddish, nah, I already have Cimbrian, it should suffice. Well, now I'm really tempted to do a wholly Germanic TAC with Cimbrian as the 3rd language and postpone Japanese to 2019. Well, I'm going to take some time to ponder this decision.

Car wrote:Based on what you post, Ladin already should give you a head start in German.

Yeah :P Thanks to Ladin I already have a grasp of the V2 rule for example. In fact, one of the reasons for taking up German is that I'll finally have a good comprehension of how Ladin was shaped by the contact with German (probably in order to have an even better knowledge of that I should pick the local Southern dialects instead of Standard German, but that's a bit too much for now).

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-12-18, 19:12

Aurinĭa wrote:
Car wrote:
Luís wrote:
kevin wrote:

*coughs*

You could use the exact same reasoning to argue in favour of Dutch and against German. IpseDixit has chosen Dutch, let's respect his choice, eh? :wink:
And since when do UniLangers argue against a smaller and less-chosen language in favour of a bigger and more-chosen language? You should all be ashamed of yourselves! :P

Well, you were the one who posted this:
Aurinĭa wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:My goal for Dutch and Hebrew is to reach a level where I can be a tourist without having to resort to English

So you mean native-like level? :P Good luck getting people not to respond to you in English.

;)

IpseDixit wrote:
Car wrote:Based on what you post, Ladin already should give you a head start in German.

Yeah :P Thanks to Ladin I already have a grasp of the V2 rule for example. In fact, one of the reasons for taking up German is that I'll finally have a good comprehension of how Ladin was shaped by the contact with German (probably in order to have an even better knowledge of that I should pick the local Southern dialects instead of Standard German, but that's a bit too much for now).

:shock: So is it called "Ladin" so that people don't forget it's derived from Latin after all? ;)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-12-18, 19:43

IpseDixit wrote:I've been trying to learn Hebrew without much success for too long and I don't feel like trying again right now (sorry to let you down Luís :P ).

:cry:

What exactly has hindered your progress in Hebrew? Maybe I can learn something from it.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2017-12-18, 20:24

Car wrote:Well, you were the one who posted this:
Aurinĭa wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:My goal for Dutch and Hebrew is to reach a level where I can be a tourist without having to resort to English

So you mean native-like level? :P Good luck getting people not to respond to you in English.

;)

Eh, just pretend you don't know English. :P

IpseDixit

Re: 2018 blog - IpseDixit (Nederlands, Deutsch, 日本語)

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-12-18, 20:42

Car wrote::shock: So is it called "Ladin" so that people don't forget it's derived from Latin after all? ;)

You pretty much guessed right. :lol:

Luís wrote:What exactly has hindered your progress in Hebrew? Maybe I can learn something from it.

The alpha-fucking-bet, or rather the fact that it's not an alphabet but a weird-ass abjad. I can't really get over the fact that I'm always pretty much clueless on how to pronounce new words and always have to consult a dictionary or Google and consequently have to memorize by heart the correct pronunciation and spelling of each single word. I'm quite sure that by now I would've been at an advanced level if Hebrew had been written with a normal alphabet.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-12-18, 21:58

IpseDixit wrote:The alpha-fucking-bet, or rather the fact that it's not an alphabet but a weird-ass abjad. I can't really get over the fact that I'm always pretty much clueless on how to pronounce new words and always have to consult a dictionary or Google and consequently have to memorize by heart the correct pronunciation and spelling of each single word. I'm quite sure that by now I would've been at an advanced level if Hebrew had been written with a normal alphabet.

Fair enough.

You're aware Japanese is exactly like that but ten times worse, right? :P
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-12-18, 22:19

Luís wrote:Fair enough.

You're aware Japanese is exactly like that but ten times worse, right? :P

Yep. That's another reason why I don't need Hebrew further complicating my life. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-18, 22:23

Hebrew is a cake walk compared to Japanese in the whole writing vs pronunciation thing. Thanks, kanji! :P

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-12-18, 22:32

Well, in the worst case scenario, I'll switch to Korean and I'll content myself with visiting South Korea. :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-18, 23:21

On the plus side, the kana are pretty easy (relatively speaking). And not every kanji is that bad.

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2017-12-19, 5:26

IpseDixit wrote:Well, in the worst case scenario, I'll switch to Korean and I'll content myself with visiting South Korea. :lol:

Do it!

I don't want to scare off anyone, but Kanji certainly takes some... determination.

I don't think Kanji is necessarily hard or difficult. It's just a shit ton of tiny little things to be remembered and burnt into your brain as gestalt. It's not fighting a really hard boss enemy (the final boss of Japanese is something else) it's more like fighting tons and tons of weak enemies that just gets tiring.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-19, 5:42

He'll only be doing Japanese for four months, though (well, unless he continues doing it after 2018 as well, and assuming that he sticks with his original plan regarding Japanese), so I'm pretty sure he won't encounter all that many kanji anyway (or at least not try to learn all that many) in 2018.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-12-19, 9:02

Karavinka wrote:
IpseDixit wrote:Well, in the worst case scenario, I'll switch to Korean and I'll content myself with visiting South Korea. :lol:

Do it!

I don't want to scare off anyone, but Kanji certainly takes some... determination.

I don't think Kanji is necessarily hard or difficult. It's just a shit ton of tiny little things to be remembered and burnt into your brain as gestalt. It's not fighting a really hard boss enemy (the final boss of Japanese is something else) it's more like fighting tons and tons of weak enemies that just gets tiring.

Grinding?

It would already help if Japanese didn't have Hiragana and Katakana, too. Sure, compared to Kanji, that's nothing, but why?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-19, 10:17

I've thought the opposite. It'd be nice if Japanese didn't have the kanji. :P

But then it would be pretty lame, even if easy as shit to read.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-12-19, 12:16

Karavinka wrote:

Do it!

I was kidding. I wanna visit Japan, not South Korea :P

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-12-19, 13:39

księżycowy wrote:I've thought the opposite. It'd be nice if Japanese didn't have the kanji. :P

But then it would be pretty lame, even if easy as shit to read.

Plus, I know this is subjective but Hiragana is ugly af in my opinion. Looks like a kid invented it. Katakana is a bit more decent but doesn't even come close to the elegance of Hangul... ok, I need to stop talking about Korean.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-12-19, 13:52

księżycowy wrote:I've thought the opposite. It'd be nice if Japanese didn't have the kanji. :P

Oh, I agree, but if it already has the kanji, why does it need both hiragana and katakana?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-19, 14:14

So basically Japanese should be written like Chinese? :P

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”