TAC 2018 - Salajane

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

linguoboy
Re: TAC 2018 - Irusia

Postby linguoboy » 2017-12-14, 16:23

Luís wrote:For Spanish I recommend Gabriel García Márquez. He has some short novels (100-150 pages) that are interesting and not too hard to understand. For instance, El coronel no tiene quien le escriba or Crónica de una muerte anunciada.

Interesting choice. We used to joke about García Márquez' "crazy jungle Spanish", but I think some of his earlier work uses more standard vocabulary.

I read a lot of Borges starting out because his stories are short and interesting. The language isn't particularly difficult. The fantastical content can be challenging, but generally he presents it in a fairly straightforward way (as opposed to, say, Rulfo, who can be frustratingly elliptical). The same can be said of García Márquez.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-14, 17:18

I think I found Márquez generally more realistic than Borges IIRC, and Crónica de una muerte anunciada is probably the most boring thing I have ever read by Márquez, although that may have been in part because I had to read it in English one chapter at a time (for our English literature class where at least half of what we read must have been translated from other languages :roll:) and it's fairly repetitive since it's basically the same story told from multiple perspectives. :P

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-12-15, 14:36

For Portuguese I suggest Rubem Fonseca
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-12-15, 16:43

Osias wrote:For Portuguese I suggest Rubem Fonseca

Dang, a Brazilian vendor has Secreções, excreções e desatinos new for $7.95 with free shipping to the USA. That was an easy decision.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-15, 20:10

IpseDixit wrote:27 words a day on average...

I've added Estonian and Croatian, so now it will be more. :) We'll see how it goes.
IpseDixit wrote:good luck with that :lol:

Thank you!
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-15, 20:39

Luís wrote:For Spanish I recommend Gabriel García Márquez. He has some short novels (100-150 pages) that are interesting and not too hard to understand. For instance, El coronel no tiene quien le escriba or Crónica de una muerte anunciada.

Thank you for the recommendations!
I've already read El coronel no tiene quien le escriba in Ukrainian translation though and I don't want to read it again. I'd prefer something new. I will try Crónica de una muerte anunciada.

Luís wrote:For Portuguese, just stay away from Paulo Coelho :blah:

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I was even going to ask people to recommend me anything except Paulo Coelho. I read "Alchemist" once, but didn't finish. When I was reading it, I felt in some places that something is strange or wrong in the book (though I must admit that I generally liked it), but didn't understand what exactly. After some time, I got his another book, "The pilgrimage" (too nice name for such a book), but after the first two pages, I understood that it's certainly not the kind of book I was expecting to read, and after reading a few random pages from the middle of the book, I was sure that the book is contrary to my views and believes as a Christian. After searching the internet, I found the information about the author and his works which confirmed this: for example, this article.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-15, 20:47

Thanks, Car, linguoboy, vijayjohn, Osias for all the suggestions and comments!
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-15, 20:58

I was thinking about my plan for the year. I think it will be difficult to learn all the languages at once, so I decided to divide them between different months:

January - Spanish, Croatian, Tagalog, Tok Pisin, Inuktitut, Greenlandic
February - Spanish, Croatian, Tagalog, Tok Pisin, Inuktitut, Greenlandic

March - Tagalog, Portuguese
April - Tagalog
May - Spanish
June - nothing

July - Estonian, conlanging
August - Estonian, conlanging

September - Indonesian, Portuguese
October - Indonesian
November - Spanish
December - nothing

This is only the first version of the plan and if I see that it doesn't work and that I need more time for a particular language, I'll change it.
I've never seen anybody who included conlanging in TAC, but why not? Maybe it will motivate me to continue developing several conlangs I've started creating.

(If you see mistakes in any of my posts, please send me corrections in a PM. Thank you!)
Last edited by aaakknu on 2017-12-16, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-16, 6:05

Irusia wrote:

Thank you for the recommendations!
I've already read El coronel no tiene quien le escriba in Ukrainian translation though and I don't want to read it again. I'd prefer something new. I will try Crónica de una muerte anunciada.

I'd like to recommend Un señor muy viejo con unas alas enormes. (It's much shorter, though).
Luís wrote:For Portuguese, just stay away from Paulo Coelho :blah:

That's exactly what I'm going to do. I was even going to ask people to recommend me anything except Paulo Coelho. I read "Alchemist" once, but didn't finish.

I have it in Malayalam here at home. :P That and The Man Who Counted (O homem que calculava) are the only books I have that were originally written in (Brazilian) Portuguese.
Thanks, Car, linguoboy, vijayjohn, Osias for all the suggestions and comments!

Np! :)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-18, 10:49

Plans for January:

(es) Espanol
* finish all the exercises in my textbooks
* learn 1000 words

(kdr) Karaj tili
* finish reading a grammar book
* make grammar notes in my Karaim thread
* read something
* create a course on memrise with all the vocabulary I am going to learn

(tl) Tagalog
* finish learning everything on seasite
* learn 500 words
* translate some songs

(tpi) Tok Pisin
* finish An introductory programmed course in Tok Pisin
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-22, 7:10

What textbooks and grammar are you using for Spanish and Crimean Tatar, Irusia? :)
Irusia wrote:(tl) Tagalog

Omg! I completely forgot how useful SEAsite is for learning Tagalog. :o Now I know what to do when I want to improve my Tagalog! Thanks! :D

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-23, 19:11

vijayjohn wrote:What textbooks and grammar are you using for Spanish and Crimean Tatar, Irusia? :)

I don't remember the names now, I'll check later and tell you.
vijayjohn wrote:
Irusia wrote:(tl) Tagalog

Omg! I completely forgot how useful SEAsite is for learning Tagalog. :o Now I know what to do when I want to improve my Tagalog! Thanks! :D

You're welcome! :D
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-23, 19:14

I'm thinking about changing Portuguese for French. Portuguese is so similar to Spanish, that it seems boring.
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-23, 19:21

vijayjohn wrote:Omg! I completely forgot how useful SEAsite is for learning Tagalog. :o Now I know what to do when I want to improve my Tagalog! Thanks! :D

Yeah, it refreshed my memory as well. I'll probably use the site to learn some Lao and Cambodian at the least.

I'm curious to see what the new site is going to be like.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-12-29, 0:53

Irusia wrote:I'm thinking about changing Portuguese for French. Portuguese is so similar to Spanish, that it seems boring.

Tá vendo o que eu falei, Vijay?
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-29, 2:19

Osias wrote:
Irusia wrote:I'm thinking about changing Portuguese for French. Portuguese is so similar to Spanish, that it seems boring.

Sim. :lol:

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-29, 16:13

vijayjohn wrote:
Osias wrote:

De que voces falaram? Não entendo, que querem dizer.
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-29, 16:37

Irusia wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
Osias wrote:

De que voces falaram? Não entendo, que querem dizer.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37190&start=1340#p1091541

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-12-29, 17:28

Eita! É um post do próprio Irusia!

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-31, 10:28

Osias wrote:Eita! É um post do próprio Irusia!

Não quis dizer que português é chato, mas que a aprendizagem das duas lenguas tão similares como português e espanhol ao mesmo tempo é chato.
Ademais, eu não gosto de frances tanto e português é mais útil para mim. :)

Me vai ajudar com português?

(Si há alguns errores em o que tenho escrito, corrigeme, por favor).
TAC 2019

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”