Language List

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

IpseDixit
Re: "My languages" options

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-09-20, 17:51

Sorry for being so picky, but if it's not too much of a hassle, would it be possible to use the flag used for Afrikaans also for South African English? The current one looks a bit weird to me.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-20, 18:08

dEhiN wrote:Could you leave that blank for now?

I don't think that's possible. All the other languages have one. But I'm sure Luís knows better than me.
Also, this is a minor thing, but normally it shouldn't matter if I add flag extensions in caps or small letters, right? For example (de-at) "de-at" works just as well as (de-AT) "de-AT". But that doesn't seem to be the case for Bavarian German. (de-BAR) "de-BAR" works but (de-bar) "de-bar" doesn't seem to. Any particular reason why?

Maybe because Austria is a country and Bavaria isn't?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-09-20, 20:02

dEhiN wrote:Also, this is a minor thing, but normally it shouldn't matter if I add flag extensions in caps or small letters, right? For example (de-at) "de-at" works just as well as (de-AT) "de-AT". But that doesn't seem to be the case for Bavarian German. (de-BAR) "de-BAR" works but (de-bar) "de-bar" doesn't seem to. Any particular reason why?

That reminds me that I've had similar issues with:
(ga-M)

Code: Select all

[flag]ga-M[/flag]

-and-
(ga-m)

[flag]ga-m[/flag]

Weird.

I notice when I click on the first one (M), it takes me to a non-existent "Munster Irish Language" page (probably because of how the code tries to find the relevant page), but when I click on the other (m), it takes me to the general Irish language page on wikipedia. It does the same thing for dEhiN's examples too. It looks like the lower case flag code takes you to the general language page (e.g. German instead of Austrian German).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-21, 21:37

Could we add the following languages since I've been trying to learn them (to whatever extent I can...) over the past few years?

Language name: Oirata
Native name: Maaro
ISO 639-3 code: oia
Proposed flag: Seal of Maluku

Language name: Teiwa
Native name: Pitarau
ISO 639-3 code: twe
Proposed flag: Seal of Alor Regency

Language name: Light Warlpiri
Native name: Light Warlpiri
ISO 639-3 code: None
Proposed flag: Same as Warlpiri (speakers consider it a variety of Warlpiri)

Language name: Salcedo Media Lengua
Native name: Chaupi-lengua
ISO 639-3 code: mue
Proposed flag: Flag of Cotopaxi Province

Language name: Michif
Native name: Michif
ISO 639-3 code: crg
Proposed flag: Blue Métis flag

Thanks/Obrigado! :)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-09-23, 11:38

dEhiN wrote:But I think it might still be good to have a lang code just for Gaulish. Although I'm not sure what you could use for the native name of the language. Could you leave that blank for now?

Added

dEhiN wrote:So it looks like the code for Middle High German (de_gmh) isn't being recognized.

Fixed

dEhiN wrote:Also, this is a minor thing, but normally it shouldn't matter if I add flag extensions in caps or small letters, right? For example "de-at" works just as well as "de-AT". But that doesn't seem to be the case for Bavarian German. "de-BAR" works but "de-bar" doesn't seem to. Any particular reason why?

księżycowy wrote:That reminds me that I've had similar issues with:

CODE: SELECT ALL
(ga-M)

-and-

CODE: SELECT ALL
(ga-m)

Weird.

Fixed

IpseDixit wrote:Sorry for being so picky, but if it's not too much of a hassle, would it be possible to use the flag used for Afrikaans also for South African English? The current one looks a bit weird to me.

Changed

vijayjohn wrote:Could we add the following languages since I've been trying to learn them (to whatever extent I can...) over the past few years?

Language name: Oirata
Native name: Maaro
ISO 639-3 code: oia
Proposed flag: Seal of Maluku

Language name: Teiwa
Native name: Pitarau
ISO 639-3 code: twe
Proposed flag: Seal of Alor Regency

Language name: Light Warlpiri
Native name: Light Warlpiri
ISO 639-3 code: None
Proposed flag: Same as Warlpiri (speakers consider it a variety of Warlpiri)

Language name: Salcedo Media Lengua
Native name: Chaupi-lengua
ISO 639-3 code: mue
Proposed flag: Flag of Cotopaxi Province

Language name: Michif
Native name: Michif
ISO 639-3 code: crg
Proposed flag: Blue Métis flag

Thanks/Obrigado! :)

Added

But the seals look awful when they're resized. Can you find something which might look better in 25 x 15?
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-23, 16:03

In that case, maybe we could just use the Indonesian flag for both Oirata and Teiwa instead (as well as for Indonesian itself). :)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-09-26, 19:28

Ok, changed!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-26, 19:41

Yay! Thank you! :)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-27, 2:58

Can we add Jingpho? The flag used in the Used Songs thread is this one. Thanks!
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-10-08, 13:04

I'll add it in the next couple of days (I was on vacation, so I haven't checked Unilang for a while)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-10-08, 13:43

Luís wrote:I'll add it in the next couple of days (I was on vacation, so I haven't checked Unilang for a while)

No worries; truth be told I haven't worked on that thread since the post above. But thanks in advance!
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-10-08, 14:58

Have a few more add requests:

1) Can we add Meänkieli? The flag Johanna used for her nomination was this one.

2) Can we add Manzanderani? The code used in the Used Songs thread is mzn-IR which is basically the ISO 639-3 language code as a base code with the Iranian flag complex code, which just gives the Iranian flag. But there's no actual mzn code as part of the language list.

3) Can we add Lisu? The code used in the Used Songs thread is ii-lisu which is not part of the language list. But the ISO 639-3 language code is lis. I suggest using the ISO code instead.

Obrigado em avanço!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-08, 15:07

dEhiN wrote:Can we add Manzanderani?

Mazanderani ;)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-10-09, 11:59

dEhiN wrote:Can we add Jingpho? The flag used in the Used Songs thread is this one. Thanks!

Added

dEhiN wrote:Have a few more add requests:

2) Can we add Manzanderani? The code used in the Used Songs thread is mzn-IR which is basically the ISO 639-3 language code as a base code with the Iranian flag complex code, which just gives the Iranian flag. But there's no actual mzn code as part of the language list.

3) Can we add Lisu? The code used in the Used Songs thread is ii-lisu which is not part of the language list. But the ISO 639-3 language code is lis. I suggest using the ISO code instead.

Added

dEhiN wrote:Have a few more add requests:
1) Can we add Meänkieli? The flag Johanna used for her nomination was this one.

This language was already included in the list... :hmm:

dEhiN wrote:Obrigado em avanço!

Obrigado desde já (lit. thanks since already)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-10-13, 20:14

Could you add Pangasinan to the list?

Language name: Pangasinan
Native name: Pangasinan
ISO 639-3 code: pag
Flag: Philippines
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-10-14, 17:53

Luís wrote:This language was already included in the list... :hmm:

Oh haha, I guess I never bothered to check!

dEhiN wrote:Obrigado em avanço!

Obrigado desde já (lit. thanks since already)

Valeu!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-10-14, 18:21

Could we add Q'eqchi' to the list? It seems that the language is a national language of Guatemala but also spoken by communities in Belize and a few in Mexico. The code currently used in the Used Songs thread is qeq-GT. The ISO code is kek, but perhaps we could have 2 or 3 varieties - one with the flag of Guatemala, one with Belize, and one with Mexico?

There is also a song in a language called Qiang. The closest thing I can find is the Wikipedia article on Qiangic languages, which are a group of related languages. The code used for that song is qn-CN but the Languages List doesn't have Qiang. Vijay's the one who nominated the song, so perhaps he could suggest what ISO code we should use, as well as what flag? There are several Qiangic languages, so I'm not really sure which language the song is in exactly. Here's the entry from the Used Songs thread:

[flag=Qiang]qn-CN[/flag] Qiang: [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTPB5YHERN4]羌族老人多声部合唱团 - Going On an Expedition (出征歌)[/url] ([url=http://ent.cntv.cn/enttv/mingezhongguo/classpage/video/20110112/100045.shtml?ptag=vsogou]TV show[/url]) (vijayjohn)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-14, 18:29

dEhiN wrote:Could we add Q'eqchi' to the list? It seems that the language is a national language of Guatemala but also spoken by communities in Belize and a few in Mexico. The code currently used in the Used Songs thread is qeq-GT. The ISO code is kek, but perhaps we could have 2 or 3 varieties - one with the flag of Guatemala, one with Belize, and one with Mexico?

The overwhelming majority of the Q'eqchi' people are in Guatemala, though, so I'd just stick with that, kind of like how we use the Afghan flag for Pashto even though there are tons of Pashto-speakers across the border in Pakistan, too.
There is also a song in a language called Qiang. The closest thing I can find is the Wikipedia article on Qiangic languages, which are a group of related languages. The code used for that song is qn-CN but the Languages List doesn't have Qiang. Vijay's the one who nominated the song, so perhaps he could suggest what ISO code we should use, as well as what flag? There are several Qiangic languages, so I'm not really sure which language the song is in exactly.

I'm not, either. That's why I just used the Chinese flag and remained agnostic on which Qiangic language it was in. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-10-14, 18:51

vijayjohn wrote:The overwhelming majority of the Q'eqchi' people are in Guatemala, though, so I'd just stick with that, kind of like how we use the Afghan flag for Pashto even though there are tons of Pashto-speakers across the border in Pakistan, too.

Oh ok, so then maybe we can just use the Guatemalan flag.

I'm not, either. That's why I just used the Chinese flag and remained agnostic on which Qiangic language it was in. :P

So maybe we could just use the Chinese flag and use the Glottolog code qian for the language family?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-14, 19:08

dEhiN wrote:So maybe we could just use the Chinese flag and use the Glottolog code qian for the language family?

I mean, it wouldn't really make sense to have a special code in the language list for the entire family (since it's for languages, not entire families), and as long as we use -CN, you get the Chinese flag anyway. :)

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”