Collecting Language Books [WARNING: lots of images]

This is our main forum. Here, anything related to languages and linguistics can be discussed.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: Collecting Language Books [WARNING: lots of images]

Postby księżycowy » 2015-07-05, 23:34

And here they are! I can't remember if I posted anything before, but eh. And sorry about the quality. Especially the two with the window on the side.

Earwig

Postby Earwig » 2015-07-06, 4:18

I got it off of Amazon, and I think it's plenty good. It teaches both formal and colloquial side-by-side, for one, and it's loaded with useful vocabulary. My only qualm is the formatting; it seems like it was the author's thesis. :lol:

Ah, thank you; for some reason it's not listed on amazon.co.uk, only amazon.com. Upon further investigation I found the publishers here, which has slightly cheaper international postage.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2016-09-28, 21:17

My most recent acquisitions:

Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

PfifltriggPi

Postby PfifltriggPi » 2016-11-02, 10:00

Here is my newest find: Sorry I do not know how to resize it.
« Labor omnia vincit! » - P. Vergilius Maro

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-17, 18:11

Sorry for the necropost (and for everything that's bad about the quality of these pictures. I suck at taking pictures :para:), but I've always wanted to try taking pictures of my own collection and never got around to doing it until today!

This is the bookshelf in my room. All of these are language-related in some way except the encyclopedia set at the lowest level on the right plus my college textbooks on statistics and Sino-American relations:
There are a few more relevant books on some of the other shelves in another room in our house along with a whole bunch of other books:
Plus a handful of other books inside another cabinet in the same room.

Earwig

Postby Earwig » 2017-09-22, 5:59

I too have 'Learn Romani'! I thought the existence of this book was a closely-guarded secret between me and Amazon...

It is difficult to make out a lot of the books in the first picture due to the low resolution, incidentally, and your last photo isn't displaying at all.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-22, 6:02

Earwig wrote:I too have 'Learn Romani'! I thought the existence of this book was a closely-guarded secret between me and Amazon...

I pretty much majored in Romani linguistics, and my advisor was Ian Hancock, so...
It is difficult to make out a lot of the books in the first picture due to the low resolution, incidentally

Yes, like I said, I suck at taking pictures. :( Also, some of the books are not even showing up because they're pushed too far into the bookshelf. :ohwell: And I later realized there's a whole bunch of other stuff on that shelf that's not relevant, too.
and your last photo isn't displaying at all.

Really? That's...odd. :para:

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2017-09-22, 6:14

vijayjohn wrote:Sorry for the necropost (and for everything that's bad about the quality of these pictures. I suck at taking pictures :para:), but I've always wanted to try taking pictures of my own collection and never got around to doing it until today!

Do you have any physical Malayalam books you could show us?
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-22, 6:29

Yasna wrote:Do you have any physical Malayalam books you could show us?

Lots! They're kind of all over the house, though. Some of them are in that first picture in my room. (Most of those are on the top row to the right, sandwiched between all those green Practical Chinese Reader books and A Guide to Korean Characters with the pink cover. The big book with the brown cover at the right edge two rows below those is a collection of the poems of [kumaːɾɛnaːˈɕaːn]). There are a few more in the other room I took the other two pictures in and at least a row and a half of them in my dad's room, plus a few in our family room downstairs.

There's also a lot of magazines. Most of those are also downstairs, but we also have a few issues of what is (unbeknownst to the vast majority of Malayalees) almost certainly the first children's magazine in Malayalam, also all over the house. My grandmother continued to edit this magazine literally until the day she died.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-10-08, 21:03

I bought a few second hand books while in the US, including a few I had been wanting to buy for a while now: Simplified Swahili, A Textbook of Israeli Hebrew and Einhorn's Old French. I was really happy to find them for such a low price (around $7 each). I definitely wish we had more used books stores around here... :(
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Return to “General Language Forum”