TAC 2016 - france-eesti (English, Portuguese, Hungarian, Estonian)

This forum is for the Total Annihilation Challenge. See the sticky thread for more information.

Moderators:''', Forum Administrators

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Re: TAC 2016 - france-eesti (English, Portuguese, Hungarian, Estonian)

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-19, 8:34

Oh, sadly I don't remember, I took lots of tests... This one was from a Spanish-speaking site, however. I did other tests but I couldn't insert every picture... Each one gave about 80% of right answers, which is not bad given I studied Portuguese for only 2 years 10 years ago and not practicing it other way than on Unilang :oops: But when I play on the Portuguese subforum I can see poor Osias having to correct so many mistakes! I don't understand why I cannot write in better Portuguese... :cry:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-19, 14:48

I think this can be fixed by reading more in Portuguese.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-19, 17:26

france-eesti wrote:Oh, sadly I don't remember, I took lots of tests... This one was from a Spanish-speaking site, however. I did other tests but I couldn't insert (add/include) every picture

Colloquially, add or include are probably more commonly used than insert. Insert sounds a little more formal or high register, which is why official instructions will use it.

Each one gave about 80% of right answers

I get what you mean, but the way you wrote that sentence, it sounds like each test gave the right answer 80% of the time (or in other words, the test was the transitive agent). I would say something like "I got the same result for/with each one: 80%" or "I got about 80% on each one" or, if you want to stick more closely to what you wrote, you could say "each one gave me about the same results - 80%".

which is not bad given I studied Portuguese for only 2 years 10 years ago and I'm not practicing it other way any way other than on Unilang

I don't understand why I cannot write in better in Portuguese... :cry:

For some reason "in better Portuguese" sounds slightly off or not natural to my ears. I would probably say either "write better in Portuguese", "write (in) Portuguese better" or even "write better Portuguese".

Osias wrote:I think this can be fixed by reading more in Portuguese.

Yeah, france-eesti, Osias is right. Reading more can help you. But also remember that online level tests aren't necessarily the best indicator of your actual level. I've always found it easier to do well on online level tests than in real situations where I'm trying to use the language. That's because with the tests I can use things like visual cues. Or sometimes I can answer correctly only because I remember the correct grammatical usage, but I actually don't understand the whole sentence yet I don't need to because it's an online test. This is particularly the case when the tests are multiple choice, which most of the English online level tests are. I think if any of these tests were short answer questions, then it would be a slightly truer representation of your actual level.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-21, 11:57

dEhiN wrote:
Each one gave about 80% of right answers

I get what you mean, but the way you wrote that sentence, it sounds like each test gave the right answer 80% of the time (or in other words, the test was the transitive agent). I would say something like "I got the same result for/with each one: 80%" or "I got about 80% on each one" or, if you want to stick more closely to what you wrote, you could say "each one gave me about the same results - 80%".

Yes I actually wished to say my result was 80% to most tests... thanks! :)

which is not bad given I studied Portuguese for only 2 years 10 years ago and I'm not practicing it other way any way other than on Unilang

dEhiN wrote:
Osias wrote:I think this can be fixed by reading more in Portuguese.

Yeah, france-eesti, Osias is right. Reading more can help you. But also remember that online level tests aren't necessarily the best indicator of your actual level. I've always found it easier to do well on online level tests than in real situations where I'm trying to use the language. That's because with the tests I can use things like visual cues. Or sometimes I can answer correctly only because I remember the correct grammatical usage, but I actually don't understand the whole sentence yet I don't need to because it's an online test. This is particularly the case when the tests are multiple choice, which most of the English online level tests are. I think if any of these tests were short answer questions, then it would be a slightly truer representation of your actual level.

Yes... Indeed. I'd also like to find a conversation partner in Portuguese, and it drives me crazy my daughter's nanny is Portuguese but she answers in French each time I'm talking to her in Portuguese :cry:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-08-21, 20:55

You could pay extra for her to talk in Portuguese. :)
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-22, 0:38

Osias wrote:You could pay extra for her to talk in Portuguese. :)

Connotation note: I would probably say "pay her extra to talk", because that implies you're paying her directly and she's actively taking the action. What you said could imply (depending on the context) that the payment is going to someone else and this other person is going to make her talk in Portuguese. Of course this isn't the case in this particular context. And also this connotation might not hold true for all speakers of English. But just thought you might be interested in learning that.

france-eesti wrote:I'd also like to find a conversation partner in Portuguese, and it drives me crazy my daughter's nanny is Portuguese but she answers in French each time I'm talking to her in Portuguese :cry:

You could ask her to respond in Portuguese. You could also try different sites meant for language/conversation exchanges. The one I used to use is Conversation Exchange. There's also an app I just found for Android called Tandem which lets you find partners for tandem exchanges. I'm not sure how popular Meetup is in Europe or specifically in France, but I've used it before to meet international students and travelers. And the last one I've used is Couchsurfing.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-09-11, 11:40

Thaaaaaaanks!
I just finished my book in Hungarian, wow, that was the 1st time I read a book in Hungarian that wasn't a translation from English and that I hadn't read in another language (French or English) first 8-)
Well I cannot say I understood everything but I understood the story "körülbelül" :silly: (approximatively).

Now I started a book in Portuguese to "rest" and see how much I can understannd - it's really, really easier! :partyhat: This one won't last a few months like the Hungarian one, maybe one or two weeks :D

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-09-11, 13:01

Qual livro?

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-09-11, 13:52

«Nenhum Homem Rico é Feio» de Eduardo Martins
Uma estupidez... Que uma amiga emprestou-me, sem depois jamais desejar encontrar-me para que o possa devolver...
Agora fico com dois livros em português que não me pertencem. :partyhat:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-09-11, 14:40

A estupidez foi ela ter te emprestado ou o livro é que é ruim?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-12, 13:22

france-eesti wrote:Thaaaaaaanks!
I just finished my book in Hungarian, wow, that was the 1st time I read a book in Hungarian that wasn't a translation from English and that I hadn't read in another language (French or English) first 8-)

Parabéns!

Now I started a book in Portuguese to "rest"

You could also colloquially say "to take a break / for a break / as a break". I'm not sure about other varieties of English but I feel like é mas comum pra gente a dizer isso.

it's really, really easier!

You have to either say "it's really, really easy" or "it's much, much easier". Really and easier don't go together.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-09-13, 2:00

dEhiN wrote:I feel like é mais comum a gente dizer isso.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-13, 4:27

dEhiN wrote:
france-eesti wrote:Thaaaaaaanks!

Parabéns!

Seconded

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-13, 12:55

Osias wrote:
dEhiN wrote:I feel like é mais comum a gente dizer isso.

Obrigado. I've been practicing my Spanish a lot recently, and some of the ways I used to mix up Portuguese and Spanish in the past are happening again. I have to pause before mas/mais (or mas/más in Spanish) and the same with b/v (for example palabra/palavra and escribir/escrever). Although I'm not mixing up those last two pairs as much as I used to.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-09-13, 13:38

Osias wrote:A estupidez foi ela ter te emprestado ou o livro é que é ruim?

O livro é estúpido - não é grande literatura portuguesa :lol: mas faz que leia em português! :partyhat:

dEhiN wrote:Parabéns!

Obrigada! :partyhat:

dEhiN wrote:Really and easier don't go together.

Is it the same in every situation?
Are those correct?

"I feel really better"
"It's really cheaper here than there"
"My Skoda is really faster than my Opel was"

Thanks! :)

vijayjohn wrote:Seconded

What does that mean? :silly:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-13, 15:07

france-eesti wrote:Is it the same in every situation?
Are those these correct?

"I feel really much better"
"It's really much cheaper here than there"
"My Skoda is was really much faster than my Opel was"

You mixed present and past tense in your last sentence. And yes it is the same in every situation. Vijay could probably explain better, but I think it's that with the comparative forms of adjectives and adverbs we use much because it's a comparative intensifying adverb. I guess really is an adjective modifying adverb.

Also, I found this usage note on Wiktionary:
As a comparative intensifier, many can be used instead of much if it modifies the comparative form of many, i.e. more with a countable noun: many more people but much more snow.

vijayjohn wrote:Seconded

What does that mean? :silly:

Il veut dire « moi aussi » . Il y a le verbe « to second something » qui veut dire « se mettre d'accord avec quelqu'un sur quelque chose » .

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-13, 15:53

Yeah, the only adverbs I can think of that you can have before a comparative adjective in English are a little, not much, barely (this is rare IME), hardly, often, rarely, seldom (this sounds kind of formal to me), sometimes (not all that often) basically or essentially, and a bunch of phrases that all mean basically(!) the same thing: much, a lot (I'd say this is more informal than much), incredibly (I'd say this is more intense than either of the two previous options), considerably (I'd say this is a bit more formal than much), and phenomenally (I'd say this is at least as intense as incredibly but isn't used all that often IME, especially in the spoken language :P).

Lol I keep expanding the list...

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-09-13, 17:53

france-eesti wrote:
Osias wrote:A estupidez foi ela ter te emprestado ou o livro é que é ruim?

O livro é estúpido - não é grande literatura portuguesa :lol: mas faz que leia em português! :partyhat:

Não tá errado isso, não.

Mas quem eu conheço diria "me faz ler em português" ou pelo menos "faz com que eu leia em português", que é mais rebuscado, mas não tanto.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2017-09-13, 19:12

dEhiN wrote:
france-eesti wrote:"My Skoda is was really much faster than my Opel was"

You mixed present and past tense in your last sentence.
The speaker may be comparing a car they currently own with a car they owned previously.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-14, 2:54

Dormouse559 wrote:
dEhiN wrote:
france-eesti wrote:"My Skoda is was really much faster than my Opel was"

You mixed present and past tense in your last sentence.
The speaker may be comparing a car they currently own with a car they owned previously.

Oh yeah, I forgot that works! Sorry, sometimes when I correct someone I read the sentence only one way and forget the other possibilities.

Return to “Language Logs and Blogs”