Series on TV or the Internet

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Osias
Re: Series on TV or the Internet

Postby Osias » 2016-10-27, 18:28

I disliked Mr Robot, even with the bitcoin references.

I'm watching Westworld and in love with Dolores.

I also watch Outlander with my wife.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-11-03, 23:59

Osias wrote:I'm watching Westworld and in love with Dolores.

Fifth episode and even more in love. With Mauve too.

Santoro and Hopkins also very good.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2016-11-04, 14:52

I rather liked The Fall, a serial-killer crime series with Gillian Anderson. I watched all three seasons in a row on Netflix. (I mean, not in one day or anything, but in a week or so.) I liked the atmosphere and the style of it, and also Anderson's character. I think they perhaps wrote slightly too obvious feministic lines for her at times, it could all have been a bit more subtle, but all in all I think this was a good series, and it didn't feel dragged out even with its three seasons.

After watching it, I noticed that I was reading my English fiction book with an Irish accent (in my head). :lol:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2016-11-04, 18:52

My wife keeps telling me to watch The Fall, she loved, too.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-01-14, 17:36

Just watched Black Mirror's San Junipero. It's the most praised episode on social media but it's the less Black Mirror so far.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2017-01-15, 15:18

Osias wrote:Just watched Black Mirror's San Junipero. It's the most praised episode on social media but it's the less Black Mirror so far.

I really liked Black Mirror, especially the first two seasons. Somehow I feel like the third season had a bit less wittiness or edge to it. Like that they explored less interesting questions. But it's possible that's just because I watched all seasons in a row and by the time I got to the third, it didn't seem as fresh anymore. San Junipero was a good one, but my favourite is the one in which they earned credits on the exercise bikes.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-01-16, 8:11

I started watching Westworld as well (I've seen 8 episodes so far). At first I had mixed feelings about it, but now I'm actually enjoying it.

It seems people love 3% (the Brazilian Netflix series), but I tried watching the first episode and didn't really get what all the hype is about.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-01-16, 12:03

A big part of the hype is "wow, we Brazilians can also do it!".

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2017-01-16, 14:16

Luís wrote:It seems people love 3% (the Brazilian Netflix series), but I tried watching the first episode and didn't really get what all the hype is about.

Yeah, I'm still not sure how to classify 3%. On the one hand, it was very nice to watch something not American or British. On the other, it used a lot of platitudes, simplicitiesand clichés in its plot. However, I felt that the characters and the acting was quite good -- the characters felt genuine. The ending of season 1 was also more mature than the plot so far had suggested it might be. Well, I'm definitely going to watch season 2 if we still have Netflix by that time.

It's annoying, I've developed this thing where upon seeing the Netflix logo on the TV-screen, I read it as Neteflix, think of Weetabix, and furthermore hear it said in my head as if it's a Norwegian word.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-01-16, 23:34

I'm also in the 4th or 5th episode of The OA, enjoying so far, and having no idea where all this is going.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-01-28, 11:07

After finishing Westworld, I started watching The Man on the High Castle.

I've seen four episodes so far and I have to say I'm really enjoying it.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2017-01-31, 6:54

I'm so mad. At the start of the school year (sept - oct), me and a couple friends would gather to watch AHS (american horror story) season 6, and westworld, but after the first six times we stopped for some reason and so I only got to episode 6 of AHS and 4 (or 5?) of westworld :( I really liked westworld, but i don't have netflix so i couldn't watch it on my own.

Just tonight i found a site to stream Stranger Things, and now i get why people liked it so much. I've only seen the first four episodes so far, but am excited to finish the season tomorrow night if i don't get too much homework.

Also, I haven't been able to watch any of the last two episodes yet, but me and my mom are really into the series Timeless. (we're two history nerds, so a show like timeless that deals with history and shtyuff is riveting to us both)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2017-05-01, 8:39

Varislintu wrote:if we still have Netflix by that time.

Quoting mahself. We originally got Netflix so I would have a greater variety of things to do while breastfeeding (and breasfeeding, and breastfeeding). Now I was quite disappointed in two series in a row, Helix and How to Get Away with Murder, and canceled the subscription. Also I don't always even breastfeed during the day anymore.

But probably we'll get back to it since we did start watching Sense 8 and a new season is coming. Also, they seemed to have added the early seasons of Grimm right before I unsubscribed, which is nice! We were unable to watch the most recent season on TV because it was on late in the evening and we have a badly sleeping high needs baby. Tried to watch the first couple of episodes, baby woke up constantly, couldn't hear a thing from the crying :lol:

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-05-01, 18:15

Varislintu wrote:
Varislintu wrote:if we still have Netflix by that time.

Quoting mahself. We originally got Netflix so I would have a greater variety of things to do while breastfeeding (and breasfeeding, and breastfeeding). Now I was quite disappointed in two series in a row, Helix and How to Get Away with Murder, and canceled the subscription. Also I don't always even breastfeed during the day anymore.

I also felt that way about Helix, I stopped watching it pretty soon.

Not watching anything these days due to sports, so my DVR's hard disk is almost full by now.
Please correct my mistakes!

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2017-05-02, 6:03

Car wrote:I also felt that way about Helix, I stopped watching it pretty soon.

It could have been good, I mean think of the claustrophobic effect of an Antarctic base and a viral outbreak and an evil corporation and stolen children, etc. But it was mostly about the good looking people in the base sorting out their love relationships, plus some sloppily written office drama. Ugh.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-05-02, 7:21

I also don't watch Netflix anymore. Why bother when you can just use YouTube or something? :lol:

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2017-05-02, 7:35

vijayjohn wrote:I also don't watch Netflix anymore. Why bother when you can just use YouTube or something? :lol:

:)

I want to be as legal as possible. It's a long-term experiment of a sort.

Plus, YouTube is so annoying nowadays with the ads. :(

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2017-05-02, 15:24

Varislintu wrote:

It could have been good, I mean think of the claustrophobic effect of an Antarctic base and a viral outbreak and an evil corporation and stolen children, etc. But it was mostly about the good looking people in the base sorting out their love relationships, plus some sloppily written office drama. Ugh.

Yes, that was so annoying about it. The potential was there, but they wasted it. It's so frustrating to watch series that could have been good, but get it wrong.
Please correct my mistakes!

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-05-02, 17:25

vijayjohn wrote:I also don't watch Netflix anymore. Why bother when you can just use YouTube or something? :lol:

The new Bill Nye series.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-05-02, 22:09

Varislintu wrote:

The second season was even worse... :roll:

Return to “Culture”