Magyar Szótár

Moderator:france-eesti

Dotty
Magyar Szótár

Postby Dotty » 2016-06-23, 7:58

Hi.
I wonder if anyone knows of a hungarian dictionary that would contain the possessive in third person singular for consultation, as there are soooo many words with irregular ones. I can't find one online and the app ones purchased, though very good, do not contain this feature.
It would not matter wether it is an English-Hungarian or any other language.It would be just for consultation of the possessive forms. I hope someone can point me on the right direction. Thank's in advance ! :)

Levike

Re: Magyar Szótár

Postby Levike » 2016-06-23, 8:10

Dotty wrote:I wonder if anyone knows of a Hungarian dictionary that would contain the possessive in third person singular for consultation, as there are soooo many words with irregular ones.

Not what you're looking for, more like a regular dictionary, but anyway: http://szotar.sztaki.hu/

I don't think you'll find one to be honest, but good luck! :wink:

Dotty

Postby Dotty » 2016-06-24, 8:04

Thank you for your reply levike ! :)

Nice online dictionary too! :)
I'll keep on looking while trying to implant as many irregular possessives in my memory along the way. May be I can find it in book form...
I'll start a new post asking for the best book store for language learning in Budapest.

Thanks again! :)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-06-24, 8:37

Hi! I am also interested by the answer you'll get to your question about a bookshop in Budapest for learners :D
About the szótár, I use this one for my Learning https://hu.glosbe.com/hu/fr/
It's setup in French but I guess you can have other languages :D
I like that it gives several définitions to a Hungarian word and gives examples of the word in a sentence :mrgreen:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Dotty

Postby Dotty » 2016-06-24, 18:28

Ohh ! Thank you for the link to that online dictionary. If not what I was looking for at least the closest until now, and even better in some cases, for the bunch of extended information displayed around the word!
I'll be in BP in two weeks and I'll be searching for a book store where to find the dictionary above mentioned. But this link really does it for me so long. I understand read french, so it is not a problem. Thanks a looot ! :D

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-06-25, 8:30

Hi Dotty :D great !
Well I'll be in Pest next Friday so maybe I'll be the first to give you the information :D
How far did you go in the learning of Hungarian? Be careful it's highly addictive 8-)
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Dotty

Postby Dotty » 2016-06-25, 11:00

Well, I think that that is it ! What I was looking for was right before my nose all the time !
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/szólam

All the cases and possessive forms for every word. Finally somewhere to check words up or refresh the memory !

...And yes France-Eesti ! Highly addictive !

I first went through " Gyakorló Magyar nyelvtan " by Szita Szilvia and Görbe Tamás.
I read the whole book without intending to learn or memorize.
Just to get the whole picture of what would await for me and all the issues that I'd have to deal with.
Now I am on the next phase which is soaking up and memorizing.
I have some audio on the side and try to read and listen to as much as I can from different sources. I'll always be a beginner, I guess, but how much fun this language is ! :D

Oh, before that I checked on a couple of grammar books more, but they not quite did it for me.I kept the Audio, though...

I Also do have various sites for consultation.English is definitely not a good language to translate Hungarian into and from. And the online translators go bananas with Hungarian, as you may already have experienced. Spanish and french seem to have a tiny bit closer nearhood to Hungarian when it comes to expressing . At least I get more comfortable answers to my translation questions...( pointing at these two languages because they are both your and my native ones )
... And your link is veeery interesting, especially to ckeck on the words being used in different contexts. Very enlightning ! I usually put the word in google and see what happens :silly:

Still, I'd be more than glad to interchange with you information and findings related to anything that helps the learning of this beautiful language. :D

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-06-25, 13:16

Hi Dotty :D nice to meet someone who understands Hungarian is very great (and who doesn't think I'm a complete weirdo for learning it) :D

Are you from Spain or Latin America?

Actually I learn Hungarian mostly from English, but I find similarities between Hungarian and... Portuguese! Yes, everybody finds it weird, but some stuff in the pronunciation are similar (the "a" and the "s" sound similar) and that way to "insert" verbs inside other verbs (mondhatok - I can say) reminds me of Portuguese mesoclises (dar-te-ei - I will give you).

And I love how everything is logical in Hungarian, yet playing with my poor brain and refusing to leave it in peace :lol:

I started with lots of things - verbs, declensions, and then tried to understand one grammar rule at a time, then special constructions, but the big problem for me is vocal harmony - it took me a liberal amount of time to understand low and high vowels.

I'm also lucky to have Levike helping me a lot, and another Hungarian man who does language exchange with me (he wishes to learn French too), who also provides me with precious help.

And actually, what's your reason (excuse? :lol: ) for learning Hungarian? How far do you plan to go? :D

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-25, 13:58

france-eesti wrote:I'm also lucky to have Levike helping me a lot

Awww, oh stop it, you! :oops:

Dotty

Postby Dotty » 2016-06-26, 2:12

Hi Vanessa, I am originally from Barcelona and my native language is Catalan.Thanks to that I can relate the E - É , A - Á and O - Ó a bit better than a Castilian native language speakers.
But for long and short vowels and consonants, as well as Ő Ű ( and definitely A ) in scandinavian languages helped me quite a bit in that way.

I got acquainted with vowel harmony when I first got in touch with the Finnish language as well as the many declensions .I just did some learning but I gave it up, although it was very interesting.

I have always been curious about the Hungarian language and culture.
Now for job reasons, I have been traveling quite often to Hungary, so I had no excuse not to give it a shot.
The learning process is really exciting and fun for me, I love its logic, the beauty of the sound combinations and the beauty and wittiness of its expressions, the word order rules...and what not...So, I don't know...It is just lots of fun. I am aware that the results are not to show any time soon. I think that the brain needs time to getting used to this 180 degrees U turn .

I really miss someone around with grammar knowledge and willing to help.I have some Hungarian native language friends or acquaintances, but are not very much into grammar or have the patience to help.And I do not wish to bother anyone with my inquiries on regular bases.
I am glad to learn that Levine is of great help to you. I may approach him with some consulting at some point? As a last resource, as I usually try to figure out issues by myself first.

I find points of reference in every language I have had contact with, but definitely the core and ADN of Uralic languages seem to be unique, although the different peoples in Europe have been moving around for centuries and I guess that no culture is impermeable to each other.

All the germanic languages I know in more or less extent do have separable verbs, and even a few have exact or very close translation. Of course the rules of word and particle order differ substantially. Nevertheless It sometimes gives me a gasp of air from learning all from scratch,though.
Also the contact and neighbourhood of the Hungarian people with Slavic and germanic languages inevitably must have left some reminders to one another throughout history.

But really the attempt of learning a language such as Hungarian is really mind blowing.
And how far I plan to go...well, even in my native languages I learn something new every day, so I guess I'll keep on going... :)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-26, 8:57

Dotty wrote:I really miss someone around with grammar knowledge and willing to help.

Erre volt ez a hely kitalálva, nyelvtannáciként boldogan válaszolok a kérdéseidre. :yep: :twisted:
That's what this place is for, as a grammar nazi I'd gladly answer your questions.

I'm also learning more or less about the languages I'm interested in here. So just go ahead.

Dotty

Postby Dotty » 2016-06-26, 12:18

Köszönom szépen Levike !! Igazán becsülöm a nagylelkűségedet ! :)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-06-26, 13:17

Haha you've already lost me :lol: Indeed Levike qualifies himself as a grammar nazi but he's a real help and let me tell you he won't let one go (and I constantly mistake about accents - é and not e) but none will pass :twisted:

Good luck with Hungarian :D
You mention Uralic languages - have you tried other kinds, like Estonian or Finnish?
I gave a shot on Estonian but the lack of direct object just got to me and I gave up :( though I'm not proud at all about this... But maybe one day I'll get over it and carry on learning :D

Miért Budapestre mész? Szabadsagón? és melyek munkad van, hogy neked kell Magyarországra menni?
Mint teged, a magyar logika elvarázsol engem. De még minding nagyon hibázok :cry:
Hány ideig útan, beszélhetsz könnyen? :para:

Dotty

Postby Dotty » 2016-06-27, 14:40

Szia Levike !
I have these couple of doubts regarding word order issues.
My book says:

"Ha az ige kap hangsúlyt, az igekötő nem válik el. Az ige a beszédben nyomatékosítjuk."

-Nem kell kinyitnod az ablakot, én már tegnap kinyitottam .

Jelent az, hogy ha "Tegnap-ot" akarjuk hangsúlyozni, elválik az igekötő ?
En tegnap már ( nem ma ) nyitottam ki.

-Ma reggel nem mostam ki a ruhát.
Tegnap már kimostam. (Az ige kap hangsúlyt)
Tegnap már mostam ki . (Tegnap kap hangsúlyt)

Így ez ?

és még egy kérdés, ha szabad... :)

Az első gitáromat tízévesen kaptam.A szüleim küldtek el a zeneiskolába. (??)

Miért "küldtek el" és nem "küldték el" ?

És miért válik el az ige? Mert a "Szuleit" hangsúlyozzuk?

egy kicsit zavaros ez nekem. magyarázhatná ezeket a ügyeket? Elöre megköszönom. :)
Last edited by Dotty on 2016-06-27, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

Dotty

Postby Dotty » 2016-06-27, 14:43

Szia Vanessa !

A folyoi hajón dolgozom a recepciónál. Egyszer a honap érkezünk Budapestre. Legközelebb körülbelül két hét mulva még egyszer fogunk odaérni. Remélem, hogy akkor lehetöségem lesz egy jó könyvtárt meglátogatni.

Apart from that, I think I'll stick to Hungarian for a while.I don't think my brains can handle another Uralic language now... :)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-27, 17:11

france-eesti wrote:Miért Budapestre mész? Szabadságón? és milyen munkád van, hogy neked kell Magyarországra menni?
Mint téged, a magyar logika elvarázsol engem. De még mindig nagyon hibázok :cry:
Mennyi idő útan, beszélhetsz könnyen? :para:

szabad = free
szabadság = freedom

ember = human
emberiség = humanity

"-ság" and "-ség" are noun endings, like "-ity" or "-dom" here.

munka = work
munkád = your work

"a" turns into "á" since you add an ending.

mennyi = how much
hány = how many

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-27, 17:29

Dotty wrote:"Ha az ige kap hangsúlyt, az igekötő nem válik el. Az igét a beszédben nyomatékosítjuk."

-Nem kell kinyitnod az ablakot, én már tegnap kinyitottam .

Azt jelenti, hogy ha "Tegnap-ot" akarjuk hangsúlyozni, elválik az igekötő?
Én tegnap már (nem ma) nyitottam ki.

-Ma reggel nem mostam ki a ruhát.
Tegnap már kimostam. (Az ige kap hangsúlyt)
Tegnap már mostam ki . (Tegnap kap hangsúlyt)

Így ez?

Hogy őszinte legyek még nem hallottam erről a szabályról.
De így, ahogy olvasom ezeket a példákat, mintha igazad van.

és még egy kérdés, ha szabad... :)

Hát természetesen. 8-)

Az első gitáromat tízévesen kaptam. A szüleim küldtek el a zeneiskolába.

Miért "küldtek el" és nem "küldték el"?

Magyarul van az a szép/rossz szokás, hogy sokszor kihagyjuk az olyan szavakat mint "engem/nekem", mert a kontextusból már valószínű.

A szüleim küldtek el a zeneiskolába = My parents sent (me) to the music school.
A szüleim küldték el a zeneiskolába = My parents sent (it) to the music school.

De ha szószerint fordítod le akkor mindkét mondat azt jelenti, hogy "my parents sent to the music school".
De az elsőben az ige alanyilag van ragozva, a másodikban pedig tárgyas ragozás van.

tudok = alanyi ragozás
tudom = tárgyas ragozás

Például, egy internetes játék közben, ha azt akarod kérdezni, hogy "Did they kill me?", akkor elég ha azt mondod, hogy "Megöltek?", ami szószerint azt jelenti, hogy "They killed?".

És miért válik el az ige? Mert a "Szüleit" hangsúlyozzuk?

Gondolom, hogy igen.

egy kicsit zavaros ez nekem. magyarázhatná ezeket a ügyeket? Előre megköszönom. :)

Szívesen. Amúgy tegezhetsz. :wink:
Last edited by Levike on 2016-06-27, 17:50, edited 2 times in total.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-27, 17:41

Dotty wrote:Egyszer a honap érkezünk Budapestre.

Ezt nem értem. :silly:

Legközelebb körülbelül két hét múlva még egyszer fogunk odaérni. Remélem, hogy akkor lehetőségem lesz egy jó könyvtárt meglátogatni.

"Lehető", az lehet magánálló szó is, és a szavak végén az ö az hosszú szokott lenni. :wink:
És ha raksz hozzá végződéseket, mint lehető+ség=lehetőség, akkor az a hosszú magánhangzó megmarad.

Dotty

Postby Dotty » 2016-06-29, 9:38

Hi Levike,
Először is nagyon köszönöm a segítséget.
Ez egy luxus, hogy egy ilyen segítséget kapni tőled.

Nem vettem figyelembe a tényt és a szabályt, hogy a határozatlan ragozást alkalmazzuk az első és a második személyre. :|

Tehát, ha jól értem:

Van két szereplő ebben a mondatban „A szüleim elküldtek az Iskolába”:
Az én szüleim és magam .
Ha nem vezetunk be egy új szereplöt a mondatba, akkor „elküldtek” csak rám lehet vonatkozni...

Most, amikor a szüleim küldenek valakit az iskolába, és a határozatlan ( alany) ragozást használjuk, ez akkor úgy értendő, hogy csak "engem, minket, téged vagy titeket" a lehetséges fennmaradó névmások vannak, akit/akiket az iskolába lehet elküldeni...

Tehát, ha elhagyjuk "engem", ez akkor úgy értendő, hogy ők engem küldenek el. DE,
Minden más esetekben, a személyes névmást (minket, téget, titeket) kell jeleznunk... Hát ez?

A szüleim elküldtek az iskolába. (engem)
A szüleim téget küldtek el az iskolába (nem a te szüleid)
A szüleim elküldtek minket az iskolába (engem és a barátomat)
A szüleim küldtek el titeket az iskolába, mert a tieitek nem tudtak.

Hát ez?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Havonta egyszer érkezünk Budapestre ( vagy odaérünk ? )

„ lehetöségem” sajtóhiba volt. „ Lehetőségem” jelentettem ahelyett.

Még egyszer köszönom. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------

"No se tomó Zamora en una hora."
Nem Zamorat kaparintottak meg egy óra alatt.

Spanyol közmondás, ami a tizenegyedik században visszanyúlik. Zamora = Spanyol város.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-06-29, 16:42

Dotty wrote:Először is nagyon köszönöm a segítséget.
Ez egy luxus, hogy egy ilyen segítséget kapni tőled.

Ne hízelegj.

Tehát, ha jól értem:

Van két szereplő ebben a mondatban „A szüleim elküldtek az Iskolába”:
Az én szüleim és magam .
Ha nem vezetünk be egy új szereplőt a mondatba, akkor „elküldtek” csak rám lehet vonatkozni...

Igen, talán úgy is fel lehet fogni. :hmm:

A mondatban nem írja sehol, hogy te is szerepelsz benne, szóval a kontextus szerint lehet, hogy "elküldtek engem/téged/minket vagy titeket".

Egyszerűbben:

„A szüleim elküldtek az iskolába” = My parents sent me/us/you/you all to school.
„A szüleim elküldték az iskolába” = My parents sent it/them to school.

Szóval kontextustól függ és semmi mástól. :yep:

PS: Gondolj még arra, hogy "szeretlek", azt is jelentheti, hogy "I love you" vagy "I love you all".
Mert a "l" a második személyre mutat, ami lehet vagy egyes számú vagy többes számú.
De itt is a kontextustól függ.
Havonta egyszer érkezünk Budapestre (vagy odaérünk?)

Mindegy, de az első jobban hangzik egy kicsivel. :) Vagy "megyünk" is jó lenne.

Még egyszer köszönöm. :)

Szívesen.

Amúgy elbűvöltél a "tieitek" használatával. Ez már valami. :shock:

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”