NUMBERS FROM YOUR CONLANG(S)?

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

JANKO
Re: NUMBERS FROM YOUR CONLANG(S)?

Postby JANKO » 2015-12-30, 15:01

Please you tell me if you'll have numbers from your conlang(s)
Could you please send me numbers from 1 to 10 from your conlang(s) on this thread?

Thank you for your help!

Janko Gorenc

Linguist

Postby Linguist » 2016-02-14, 8:02

hey janko!

i usen’t numbrs vor my conlanguage :) i use words which describe the nr

for example

the nr 1 is to be compared to a finger which shows the 1 gestucally. :) so i call nr. 1 simply 'finger' which is in my conlang "deda". and nr. 2 looks loke scisscors which open. so It is: 'scisor", and it is in my language: "ganek"

and so on! and do make numers highter dan 10 you count them:

10 is "deda" + "leb" (leb means nothing"
11 is dedadeda
12 is dedaganek
13 is dedajul (jul = fork because fork hat 3 little stripes where you pick he food up)

admit!!! it is the best system okayy!
[ownflag=]http://www.nationalflaggen.de/media/flags/flagge-heiliges-roemisches-reich-ab-1400.gif[/ownflag] Die anderen tugende sind einwiht, und ist dâ bî diu stæte niht.

RubyH

Postby RubyH » 2016-03-01, 11:49

I want the language to have certain traits common to programming languages, like type setting,
while still being a natural language so the language would have strict type setting.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-03-01, 21:45

RubyH wrote:I want the language to have certain traits common to programming languages

Make one then!

But real language numbers do work in a way like the ones in programming languages.
If I type 7 into Java/C++/C#, that could be a natural, integer or racional number the same way as in English.

Linguist wrote:13 is dedajul (jul = fork because fork hat 3 little stripes where you pick he food up)

If I wouldn't have made up my numbers yet then I'd certainly take the liberty of stealing your idea. :whistle:

RubyH

Postby RubyH » 2016-03-02, 0:45

Levike wrote:
RubyH wrote:I want the language to have certain traits common to programming languages

Make one then!

But real language numbers do work in a way like the ones in programming languages.
If I type 7 into Java/C++/C#, that could be a natural, integer or racional number the same way as in English.

in this language In order to make a valid statement with regards to seven,
One would have to specify what one would mean by seven, so i'd have to firstly specify the units that one would be using, wether one would be using cardinal, ordinal, or another types of numbers, [their would be no type free number terms anyway].

Their would also be a number type which would be a type for Abstract numbers.
[reason for edit grammatical correction]

The General it seams that this is basis of a myth about the language being based on programming languages,
In-spite of being a system that applies to all terms in the language and both the number and the term which is being modified by a given number, a more accurate description would be grammatical type.

they count the day in one hundred twenty about twelve minute sections, which is interesting since they use base 60,

[[[Everything past my previous, is written in the world of the language itself]]]

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-03-05, 7:11

Zokardi (base 8)

0- wek, ain
1- tjí
2- šgo(re)
3- dûg
4- friz
5- tyõ
6- ins
7- ngæm
8- aigtsõ, aixõ
9- aixtjí, tós
10- aix(õ)-šgo, xib

The numbers in italics are alternatives and for 9 and 10, tós and xib are used only for base-10 type counting. Šgo is more common when counting (wek, tjí, šgo, dûg, friz, etc), while šgore is most commonly found in isolation.

Linguist

Postby Linguist » 2016-03-06, 22:34

Levike wrote:
Linguist wrote:13 is dedajul (jul = fork because fork hat 3 little stripes where you pick he food up)

If I wouldn't have made up my numbers yet then I'd certainly take the liberty of stealing your idea. :whistle:

Well, feel free to do it :)
[ownflag=]http://www.nationalflaggen.de/media/flags/flagge-heiliges-roemisches-reich-ab-1400.gif[/ownflag] Die anderen tugende sind einwiht, und ist dâ bî diu stæte niht.

hwyadinnguaq

Postby hwyadinnguaq » 2016-03-10, 12:42

Counting in Techmarathi is based on even numbers and the number one. There are individual words for numbers 0-9. Numbers higher than 9 but lower than 1000 are said using the word for "and", and are based on the appearance of the written number (so "six hundred" would be"six zero zero"). Higher numbers may either be said using loan-words (common among younger generations) or by using the traditional and arguably more complex counting system (common among the older generations and in literary and 'official' contexts).

0 - żec, from ādażec, meaning 'nothing'
1 - eżec, literally 'not zero'
2 - eseh, literally 'not many'
3 - eżeseh, from 'one' and 'two'
4 - teseh
5 - eżteseh, from 'one' and 'four'
6 - māseh
7 - eżmāseh, from 'one' and 'six'
8 - ōzəseh
9 - eżōzəseh, from 'one' and 'eight'
10 - eżec mə-żec, literally 'one and zero'

Examples of numbers up to 999:
11 - eżec mə-eżec, literally 'one and one'
31 - eżeseh mə-eżec, literally 'three and one'
479 - teseh mə-eżmāseh mə-eżōzəseh, literally 'four and seven and nine'

This system was only adopted around a hundred years ago, when the Latin script brought with it the written numerals 1234 (etc.), and it only really gained popularity in the last fifty years. :mrgreen:

I haven't quite figured out the older/traditional counting system yet, but it involves multiplication and other awful maths-y things. :(

Levike

Postby Levike » 2016-03-10, 13:57

hwyadinnguaq wrote: - żec, from ādażec, meaning 'nothing'
3 - eżeseh, from 'one' and 'two'
5 - eżteseh, from 'one' and 'four'
7 - eżmāseh, from 'one' and 'six'
8 - ōzəseh
9 - eżōzəseh, from 'one' and 'eight'

Maybe it's just me, but aren't there too many syllables?

hwyadinnguaq

Postby hwyadinnguaq » 2016-03-10, 15:04

Levike wrote:Maybe it's just me, but aren't there too many syllables?

Hmm, I don't think so. Most Greenlandic numbers have 3+ syllables, and "eight" - arfineq pingasut - has 6. Admittedly Greenlandic isn't a conlang, but it seems to be doing just fine :lol:

Return to “Conlangs”