Diskussionstråd / Discussion and Minor Questions

Moderator:Johanna

ZombiekE
Diskussionstråd / Discussion and Minor Questions

Postby ZombiekE » 2003-01-22, 21:56

Hello all, after creating a poll, it seems that the people were willing to learn Swedish. First of all, I've agreed to be your tutor, but I am not a native speaker, so I would like more people who have knowledges in this language and have some free time to send me an e-mail to zombieke@barrysworld.com or contact me in our iRC Channel.

I intend to send a part of the course each week or 2 parts a week if they are small.

Something about me:
Well, I am Spanish and I love languages, most of people here look at me strangely when they know that I love this, specially at my age (16). But I think this is much better and healthier than going at night feeling the cold and getting drunk each weekend ;)

If you are going to join this group, I would like you to reply to this post telling if you know some swedish or you don't, just to make the newbie classes less heavier. But anyway I think we will have them ;)

Please, reply to this topic (newcommers are welcome) and tell everyone you know who would be interested in this subject.

Also, I think that the first and really important lesson is writing the special letters that aren't shown in most of foreign keyboards. I suppose that everyone can make ä and ö. The problem comes with å. To write that character you must press alt + 0229. Also, you can install a swedish keyboard configuration in Windows. If you do this, you will get ä where the spanish accent is (on Ñ's right), ö where the the Ñ is, and å just over ä. That's the lesson for today, get used to the swedish keyboard ;) (sorry, as my keyboard is spanish, I can't tell which are the keys in other keyboard, as reference, think that L is between K and Ñ, so you can locate the Ñ key now :) )

By the way, the method I am going to use is Teach Yourself Swedish:

Important note: I am using this method as guidelines to teach, so it doesn't mean that I am going to copy it. Also, remember this point of the rules for Virtual Schools:
If tutors were not available for a certain language, groups can be built around learners interested in learning the language together. One learner would assume the role of tutor.

That's exactly what I am going to do, so don't see me as an expert, i will just have this role as it seems that nobody with advanced knowledges of Swedish turned up.

EDIT 2010-09-29: Renamed thread "Swedish Discussion & Minor Questions" (formerly "Swedish Course and Discussion"), since there's no tutoring going on here and we need a place to put minor questions. / Dingbats

pa-integral

SUEC

Postby pa-integral » 2003-01-23, 15:46

Buenas! :D

I want to learn Swedish :D I'm a complete begginer, so I would be thankful if you could teach Swedish from the beggining.

Muchas gracias!

ZombiekE

Well, this is stating to run

Postby ZombiekE » 2003-01-23, 18:53

As Pa-integral is totally new to Swedish, I will start teaching from the beggining.

Also, Irina, I would like you to contact me at zombieke@barrysworld.com and send me material, ideas or suggestions for this course as long as I am begginer, so if we had someone here who would be able to help me it would be much better for the efficience of this course.

First lesson will include some facts about swedish, and some pronunciation guide. Also, remember that swedish is tonal, so we will try to "sing" it like they do ;) This is going to become the Pop Leader or Operación triunfo :D (or the pop stars lol).

This is looking better and better. I will try to post first lesson every weekend :)

Strigo

Hello

Postby Strigo » 2003-01-24, 15:41

Hello!

I'd like to start Sweddish. I'm not pretending to speak it fluently, but it's good to know something new about another country.
I don't know a word! Not even the numbers!
I'm completely begineer, as pa-integral!
My email is aillatalca@yahoo.com

Bye!
:lol:
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

ZombiekE

Changes in the course ;)

Postby ZombiekE » 2003-01-25, 15:59

Hello, I was browsing the Net to find more clues about Modal Verbs in Swedish and I found some nice websites with courses and resources. I am starting to realize how big is the Internet (no, i am not a newbie, but i kept stuck with games and such :oops: )

I found Björn Engdahl's course extremely useful. Here are the links:
:arrow: English.
:arrow: Spanish.
:arrow: German.
:arrow: Dutch.

Also, here is a folder with some more resources.

So, we can study it on our own pace, and then we can chat here in swedish and ask all questions that you've not understood. With this, the swedish course starts. Are you ready to go? ;)

ZombiekE

nice!

Postby ZombiekE » 2003-01-28, 17:02

in my swedish dictionary (spanska-svenska || svenska-spanska) it tells me the akut accent i think using the spanish accent and it also gives me the phonetic as if it was a spanish word :)

pa-integral

Re: nice!

Postby pa-integral » 2003-01-29, 14:35

ZombiekE wrote:in my swedish dictionary (spanska-svenska || svenska-spanska) it tells me the akut accent i think using the spanish accent and it also gives me the phonetic as if it was a spanish word :)

What dictionary do you have? Do you know any Swedish-Spanish dictionary online? Or any Swedish-English dictionary online? I printed pronounciation lesson at the university and I'm going to read it soon...

ZombiekE

Re: nice!

Postby ZombiekE » 2003-01-29, 16:17

pa-integral wrote:
ZombiekE wrote:in my swedish dictionary (spanska-svenska || svenska-spanska) it tells me the akut accent i think using the spanish accent and it also gives me the phonetic as if it was a spanish word :)

What dictionary do you have? Do you know any Swedish-Spanish dictionary online? Or any Swedish-English dictionary online? I printed pronounciation lesson at the university and I'm going to read it soon...

I don't know any svenska dictionary online, but i think that unilang.org had some kind of free dictionaries online. anyway, if you want to get a pocket dictionary (the only one i've found) I'll tell you the brand. It's from Lexicon. I bought it in elcorteingles.es ;) although i'm sure that there is some big shop in barcelona where you can buy it. In fact, I ordered the teach yourself method from a big book shop in barcelone, I think it was called booksworld or somethign like that, the url in the net was www.booksworld.com but it's down atm.

Hope this has been useful.

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2003-01-29, 18:19

Och glöm inte den här ordboken, den är mycket bra:

And don't forget this dictionary, it's a very good one:

http://www-lexikon.nada.kth.se/skolverket/sve-eng.shtml

Axystos.
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2003-02-15, 21:08

Finns det på nettet en sida var jag kan lyssna på uttalet av de svenska ch/kj/sk/sch/sj/skj/stj/tj? Jag har försökt Björn Engdahls sida, men uttalet där är för otydlig för mig.

Is there a site on the net where I can listen to the pronunciation of the swedish ch/kj/sk/sch/sj/skj/stj/tj? I've tried Björn Engdahl's site, but the pronunciation there was too unclear for me.

Axystos.

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2003-02-24, 23:41

Irina wrote:Actually it is not so difficult to pronounce as you may think from my description.

Well, after having tried pronouncing that sound a few times using your description, I am now untangling my tongue.. :P

It’s too bad that there aren’t any clear pronunciation thingies for those swedish sounds on the internet (that is to say: I couldn’t find them).
And to add to the confusion: I once heard a swedish girl pronounce ‘kanske’ (maybe) like ‘kanje’ (spanish letters. The 'j' is the same as the dutch ‘g’ and harder than the german ‘g’ or the russian ‘х'). Although I could have misunderstood that in my excitement that I could understand her swedish in the first place! :)

But wait! *remembers* I have a few swedish movies on video here.. I'll see if I can find them and listen to the pronunciation of those letters.. Maybe that'll shed some light on the subject.

I'll be back…… :D

Axystos.

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2003-02-25, 17:55

Irina wrote:
Axystos wrote:I once heard a swedish girl pronounce ‘kanske’ (maybe) like ‘kanje’ (spanish letters. The 'j' is the same as the dutch ‘g’ and harder than the german ‘g’ or the russian ‘х').

I heard this Swedish word too. It is pronounced [kanshe] (English letters) :)

And I think I heard the word "sju" (7) sometimes as [Su:] (similar to English SH / Russian Ш), and sometimes as [xu:] (similar to Spanish J / Dutch G / Russian Х).
I remember having read it actually depends on the speaker whether you pronounce it as [S] or [x]...

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2003-02-25, 18:56

Saaropean wrote:And I think I heard the word "sju" (7) sometimes as [Su:] (similar to English SH / Russian Ш), and sometimes as [xu:] (similar to Spanish J / Dutch G / Russian Х).
I remember having read it actually depends on the speaker whether you pronounce it as [S] or [x]...

Today I've been watching some parts of the swedish film 'Sixten' and I must say that I hear more the [xu:] sound than the [Su:] sound.

If I have time, I'll watch another swedish film tomorrow, to compare.

Axystos.

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2003-02-25, 20:16

Jag hittade de hår sidorna:
I found these sites:

http://www.members.tripod.com/~SwedishAlphabet/
För svenskt uttalet.
For swedish pronunciation.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/language/Languages/Swedish/Grammar.html

Där står:
There is written:

<i>"Sj-", "Sk-", "Skj-", "Stj-", and "Ch-" are usually pronounced like German "ch", while "Sch-", "-sch", "-ge", and "-rs" are usually pronounced like German "sch" (English "sh").
To add to the confusion, "sk" is usually pronounced as two separate letters when followed by either a consonant or one of the vowels a, o, u and å. Examples: "skräp" (trash), "skrika" (to shout), "skata" (magpie), "sko" (shoe), "skum" (foam), "skåp" (cupboard).
Also, foreign words and names from languages that use some variation of the Latin alphabet, and where this variation includes the addition of a special letter for the "sh" sound, this special letter might be used. Foreign words and names from languages that use other alphabets usually get their "sh" sounds rendered as "sj", "sh" or "sch", depending on what transliteration rules are being used.
There are really no simple rules for how to spell the "sh" sound in the general case; it is usually best to try to learn the spelling together with the word. </i>

Axystos.

Silvah
Country:CHSwitzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)

Postby Silvah » 2003-02-27, 1:05

Axystos wrote:
Saaropean wrote:And I think I heard the word "sju" (7) sometimes as [Su:] (similar to English SH / Russian Ш), and sometimes as [xu:] (similar to Spanish J / Dutch G / Russian Х).

Today I've been watching some parts of the swedish film 'Sixten' and I must say that I hear more the [xu:] sound than the [Su:] sound.

If I have time, I'll watch another swedish film tomorrow, to compare.

Axystos.

I can recommend the Beck-movies...very nhice, although they might be quite difficult for non-advanced learners.

F*cking Amål was easier to understand, I remember...

BTW, a very nice site: Swedish Language: http://forums.delphiforums.com/svenska/
Bring the noise!!!
Public Enemy

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2003-03-02, 13:29

Irina wrote:The sj sound = sh in shoe but formed further back in the mouth. It is often also pronounced like a softer version of German ch in ach, or in the Scottish name Loch Lomond.

I think this is the best description of the sound there is.
Jag tror att det här är den bästa umskrivingen av ljudet som finns.

Silvah wrote:F*cking Amål was easier to understand, I remember...

There are many swedish children and youth movies, that are not too childish for grown-ups (assuming you consider yourself a grown-up :P) and these movies are usually not too hard to understand.

Det finns många svenska barn- och ungdomsfilmar, som är inte för barnslig för vuxna (antaende att du betraktar dig som en vuxen :P) och de här filmar är oftast inte för svårt för att förstå.

Axystos.

susanna

Postby susanna » 2003-03-02, 16:06

Axystos wrote:
Jag hittade de hår sidorna:
I found these sites:

[
För svenskt uttalet.
For swedish pronunciation.

Jag hittade de här sidorna. (de här=these, de där= those)
För svenskt uttal (ett uttal - uttalet)(eller) För det svenska uttalet.

Susanna
:D

Silvah

Postby Silvah » 2003-03-02, 23:15

susanna wrote:För svenskt uttal (ett uttal - uttalet)(eller) För det svenska uttalet.

Susanna, jag har en fraga...måste man alltid skriva "det"? Jag menar, är det också riktigt att skriva "för svenska uttalet"? Eller måste man alltid skriva "för DET svenska uttalet"? Finns det någon regel?
Bring the noise!!!

Public Enemy

Postby Guest » 2003-03-03, 18:57

det är en bra regel att alltid när adjektivet står i bestämd form ha med den bestämda artikeln (ett svenskt uttal, det svenska uttalet)
singular: en stor flicka, den stora flickan,plural: stora flickor, de stora flickorna
singular:ett stort hus, det stora huset, plural:stora hus, de stora husen

i snabbt talspråk kan det verka som om man inte säger det men det finns nog där i alla fall - däremot skulle du väl kunna säga för svenskt uttal men det skulle bara betyda att du utelämnat ett vilket är helt möjligt

[i]I am not so good at English grammatical terminology but I´ll t a try and whatever is unclear you´ll have to come back to me![/i

It is a good rule always to write the defined article when the adjective appears with a defined noun. in fast spoken Swedish it might seem as if one doesn´t say it but somehow it is there - on the other hand you could very well say för svenskt uttal but that would only mean that you have left out ett which is quite possible

Silvah

Postby Silvah » 2003-03-04, 7:38

Tack så mycket :)
Bring the noise!!!

Public Enemy

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”