Changes in the Administration and Global Moderating Team

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator
Changes in the Administration and Global Moderating Team

Postby Johanna » 2015-06-13, 4:52

As you all have probably already noticed, kibo resigned from his position as Forum Administrator almost a month ago, but he'll stay a moderator of the BCS forum. We thank him for his tremendous work on the forum, I'm not sure how long he was a forum admin for, but I'm pretty certain he was one when I joined nine years ago, and that he had already been for a few years.

We're also one Server Administrator down since Yserhenhart decided to resign as well. He wasn't an admin for as long, but he accomplished a lot in that time, and if it weren't for him, we might have still been stuck in 2010.

We also want to welcome Meera as the most recent addition to the team, she joins it as Global Moderator :)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Changes in the Administration and Global Moderating Team

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-06-13, 4:54

Yay! Congratulations, Meera! :mrgreen:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-06-14, 5:29

vijayjohn wrote:Yay! Congratulations, Meera! :mrgreen:

Aww, thank you Vijay! :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-06-14, 7:13

Meera wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Yay! Congratulations, Meera! :mrgreen:

Aww, thank you Vijay! :mrgreen:

Haha np :)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-10-24, 19:10

Johanna wrote:We're also one Server Administrator down since Yserhenhart decided to resign as well. He wasn't an admin for as long, but he accomplished a lot in that time, and if it weren't for him, we might have still been stuck in 2010.

Do we have other Server Administrators?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-24, 19:26

dEhiN wrote:
Johanna wrote:We're also one Server Administrator down since Yserhenhart decided to resign as well. He wasn't an admin for as long, but he accomplished a lot in that time, and if it weren't for him, we might have still been stuck in 2010.

Yes, or at least one. There's a user "unilang" whose rank is server administrator, but unilang hasn't been online in a long time IIRC. :P Effectively, I think the only one left is proycon.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-10-25, 3:12

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:

Yes, or at least one. There's a user "unilang" whose rank is server administrator, but unilang hasn't been online in a long time IIRC. :P Effectively, I think the only one left is proycon.

Who is the user "unilang"? I always assumed that was an account the person who started this forum used for server admin.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-25, 7:58

dEhiN wrote:Who is the user "unilang"?

No idea.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-10-25, 17:16

dEhiN wrote:

Well, technically the title is simply Administrator, but I thought that if I used that people might have thought I was talking about us Forum Administrators.

And yes, proycon has that rank since he owns the site and all, but he doesn't participate in the day-to-day running of it the way Yserenhart did.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-10-28, 6:44

So then who is doing the day to day (server) adminsistration now?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-28, 6:46

Is there any need for someone to do that now that all the code is in a github repository?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-10-28, 7:33

Well the code might be ok as far as changes, but what about making sure the server(s) it/themselves are running fine, etc.? I would imagine we'd still need someone to look into those things at least every so often.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-10-28, 7:41

Every so often I think proycon does that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. :lol:

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-10-28, 18:36

Considering that the server is in his home, yes he does ;)

razlem

Postby razlem » 2015-10-29, 21:28

Johanna wrote:Considering that the server is in his home, yes he does ;)

So is this entire website volunteer non-profit? His expenses must be outrageous O_O
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-10-29, 22:17

razlem wrote:

So is this entire website volunteer non-profit? His expenses must be outrageous O_O

It has always been run by volunteers and not for profit, even before it was moved to proycon's personal server.

The expenses are very much manageable though, a forum like this doesn't take up that much space (most of it can be stored as plain text after all), so all it takes is an ordinary computer that's not too slow really. The main thing is that that machine has to stay on always, and of course always be connected to the internet :)

Disclaimer: I don't know what kind of server proycon actually has got, but a friend of mine hosted a commercial website and a forum from his home, and the server in question was simply an ordinary desktop computer with more storage space than the average, running an operating system for servers. I also don't think that the extra storage space was for the sites primarily, but rather for all the movies he torrented.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-10-30, 2:54

Johanna wrote:
razlem wrote:

It has always been run by volunteers and not for profit, even before it was moved to proycon's personal server.

The expenses are very much manageable though, a forum like this doesn't take up that much space (most of it can be stored as plain text after all), so all it takes is an ordinary computer that's not too slow really. The main thing is that that machine has to stay on always, and of course always be connected to the internet :)

Well no it would most likely be stored in an SQL server as PHP (which phpBB is based on) pulls content from a SQL server and dynamically creates pages. Depending on which SQL server he's using, the tables themselves could probably be compressed, etc. So yeah it still wouldn't take up too much space. But there are still costs for space. There are costs making sure there are things like RAID setups or other types of setups that act as failsafes in case a component of the server goes down. There would be the extra elecriticy costs plus potential cooling/heating costs depending on the season. And of course the Internet costs. Which when all of these combined, while might not be that much compared to other sites, would still add if. Especially they are all coming out of proycon's pockets.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-10-30, 3:40

Yes, the costs are not zero, they can't be.

But from my understanding they are pretty minor for a European guy with a steady income :)

Internet in Western Europe is cheap compared to in the US and maybe Canada by the way. At my ISP, 100 Mbit both down and up is 54 Canadian dollars a month. In the US you can't even get that bandwidth for the most part.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2015-10-30, 4:11

Johanna wrote:Yes, the costs are not zero, they can't be.

But from my understanding they are pretty minor for a European guy with a steady income :)

Internet in Western Europe is cheap compared to in the US and maybe Canada by the way. At my ISP, 100 Mbit both down and up is 54 Canadian dollars a month. In the US you can't even get that bandwidth for the most part.

Yeah that's really cheap! Canada is more or less the same as the US in terms of availability of options and pricing

Abavagada

Postby Abavagada » 2015-11-12, 19:22

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Who is the user "unilang"?

No idea.

The user "unilang" was a general account any of the admins could log into to post "official" notices.
I don't know if any of the forum moderators have access to it.
"Internet killed the video star. Telepathy killed the internet star." - Men Without Hats
Parleremo - Where Languages Live! http://www.parleremo.org

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”