Gender thread

This forum is the place to have more serious discussions about politics and religion, and your opinions thereof. Be courteous!

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Forum rules
When a registered user insults another person (user or not), nation, political group or religious group, s/he will be deprived of her/his permission to post in the forum. That user has the right to re-register one week after s/he has lost the permission. Further violations will result in longer prohibitions.

By default, you are automatically registered to post in this forum. However, users cannot post in the politics forum during the first week after registration. Users can also not make their very first post in the politics forum.

What is your gender identity?

Agender
4%
Aliagender
No votes
Ambigender
No votes
Androgyne
No votes
Bigender
No votes
Cis man
52%
Cis woman
11%
Demiboy
2%
Demigirl
4%
Demienby
No votes
Feminine-of-Center
4%
Genderfluid
No votes
Genderless
2%
Genderqueer
4%
Masculine-of-Center
No votes
Multigender
No votes
Neutrois
4%
Pangender
No votes
Polygender
No votes
Third gender
No votes
(Trans) feminine
4%
Trans man
No votes
(Trans) masculine
No votes
Trans woman
4%
Trigender
No votes
Other/not listed
9%

Total votes: 56

Iparxi_Zoi
Re: Gender thread

Postby Iparxi_Zoi » 2015-05-29, 4:17

Lur wrote:I'm having real trouble finding other trans women here :(

Nice to meet you. :D

You could call me a "transwoman." I'm physiologically male but I identify with the feminine. I don't wish to undergo HRT or SRS either so I don't whether I'm non-op, genderqueer, or something else. A simple transgender is what's most comfortable for me.
Native/Mis lenguas maternas: [flag=español mexicano (Mexican Spanish)]es-MX[/flag] [flag=español (Spanish)]es[/flag] American English (en-US) English (en)
Advanced (I hope)/Espero que no se me olvide: [flag=français (French)]fr[/flag]
In love with/Me encantan: [flag=ελληνικά (Greek)]el[/flag] [flag=português (Portuguese)]pt[/flag]
Also intested in/También me interesarían: [flag=العربية (Arabic)]ar[/flag] [flag=italiano (Italian)]it[/flag] [flag=Türkçe (Turkish)]tr[/flag]

Lur

Postby Lur » 2015-05-29, 11:43

Iparxi_Zoi wrote:
Lur wrote:I'm having real trouble finding other trans women here :(

Nice to meet you. :D

You could call me a "transwoman." I'm physiologically male but I identify with the feminine. I don't wish to undergo HRT or SRS either so I don't whether I'm non-op, genderqueer, or something else. A simple transgender is what's most comfortable for me.

Hi

I meant in the town where I live. There's a vicious circle where everybody goes to Madrid and Barcelone to feel less lonely in the other places, thus isolating the remaining trans people outside Madrid and Barcelone. This is particularly noticeable with trans women and NB transfeminine folk.
Last edited by Lur on 2015-05-29, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Yserenhart

Postby Yserenhart » 2015-05-29, 12:05

As a note for people who may wonder about the use of "cis-" in some gender identities:

"Cis-" is derived from the Latin "cis" which means "on the same side", and "trans-" from the Latin "trans" meaning "on the other side". The use of "cis-" in "cisgender", "cis-female", and "cis-male" is to show that the gender matches the reproductive organs—the gender is "on the same side" as the biological sex. It's not inherently a pejorative, although some people may attempt to use it as such (as some people do with trans-).

admin

As a reminder to everyone, all the rules still apply in this thread. Please pay attention to them before posting.
Native: Derbyshire English (en-GB)/New Zealand English (en-NZ) Learning: Vlaams (nl-BE)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2015-05-29, 12:08

Some people think "cis" is a pejorative? :o

Iparxi_Zoi

Postby Iparxi_Zoi » 2015-05-29, 12:28

Lur wrote:Hi

I meant in the town where I live.

I know what you mean. The town where I live is small & sometimes much too conservative. It sometimes makes me want to leave it and move to a big city myself.
Native/Mis lenguas maternas: [flag=español mexicano (Mexican Spanish)]es-MX[/flag] [flag=español (Spanish)]es[/flag] American English (en-US) English (en)
Advanced (I hope)/Espero que no se me olvide: [flag=français (French)]fr[/flag]
In love with/Me encantan: [flag=ελληνικά (Greek)]el[/flag] [flag=português (Portuguese)]pt[/flag]
Also intested in/También me interesarían: [flag=العربية (Arabic)]ar[/flag] [flag=italiano (Italian)]it[/flag] [flag=Türkçe (Turkish)]tr[/flag]

Lur

Postby Lur » 2015-05-29, 12:29

Varislintu wrote:Some people think "cis" is a pejorative? :o

Yup, TErfs do this a lot.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2015-05-31, 9:26

I've been having a complex feeling for a while due to a mix of dysphoria, awareness of transmisoginy, and internalized transphobia.I recently saw pictures of a friend who doesn't usually wear dresses wearing one and she commented surprised that she looked good in it. There's some stuff like what she has that I really like. I'm, however, very scared of even trying something like that and seeing myself in the mirror as a guy in a dress, or being perceived like that by others (and I often dislike being seen by others in general). This is while I think that it would be great if everybody else got to wear something like that if they wanted (all transfeminine folk regardless of their cisnormativity), but I seem to have a completely different standard for myself because I don't see myself and people don't see me and I'm afraid of making that worse... And there are a variety of instances of situations like this that make me feel like a certain lack of freedom and that hit me hard but I don't know how to explain to others without being looked at like a Martian.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2015-05-31, 16:32

I'm sorry for my previous posts, but I have a question. I've always thought that transpeople wanted to be seen as the gender they felt like. Men wanted to be called "ma'am" and perceived as the women they were. So I'm quite puzzled at how so many new genders popped up out of nowhere right now...

For example in Indonesia, men who want to be women can still be Muslim, but they're there as women, not genderless or sth in between etc. Please refrain from calling me ignorant or hateful, but if I ever saw a hefemale for example, then she wanted to be called and seen as a man. Not as lesbian f.e.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2015-05-31, 17:11

Dr. House wrote:Please refrain from calling me ignorant or hateful, but if I ever saw a hefemale for example, then she wanted to be called and seen as a man. Not as lesbian f.e.

What do you mean with "hefemale"? Someone who was born with the sex male, or with the sex female? It's just a bit unclear what you mean. And which do they identify as, inside?

Does "lesbianism" really factor into this, especially concerning what pronoun to use about someone? It's a sexuality, not a gender. :hmm:

Lur

Postby Lur » 2015-05-31, 17:18

Varislintu wrote:
Dr. House wrote:Please refrain from calling me ignorant or hateful, but if I ever saw a hefemale for example, then she wanted to be called and seen as a man. Not as lesbian f.e.

What do you mean with "hefemale"? Someone who was born with the sex male, or with the sex female? It's just a bit unclear what you mean. And which do they identify as, inside?

He's using it as an analogy of shemale, which is a very ugly transmisoginistic slur. He's using a she pronoun for a dude.

Varislintu wrote:Does "lesbianism" really factor into this, especially concerning what pronoun to use about someone? It's a sexuality, not a gender. :hmm:

I have seen interesting situations with lesbianism related to this. For example, a straight trans man whose community is mostly comprised of cis lesbians, who made a safer community before or during coming out. He's straight, but might feel a special relationship with the situation of being a lesbian. (I see this happen much more often with straight trans men than with straight trans women, though, because opression of trans men and trans women tends not to be analogous)

Another example is my E, who is NB, thinking of herself sometimes spontaneously as a lesbian, due to her connection with the slightly punky cis lesbian community around.
Last edited by Lur on 2015-05-31, 17:28, edited 2 times in total.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-05-31, 17:22

Dr. House wrote:I'm sorry for my previous posts, but I have a question. I've always thought that transpeople wanted to be seen as the gender they felt like. Men wanted to be called "ma'am" and perceived as the women they were. So I'm quite puzzled at how so many new genders popped up out of nowhere right now...

For example in Indonesia, men who want to be women can still be Muslim, but they're there as women, not genderless or sth in between etc. Please refrain from calling me ignorant or hateful, but if I ever saw a hefemale for example, then she wanted to be called and seen as a man. Not as lesbian f.e.

Well, you are ignorant and hateful. Also, you're trying to police people's identities. You can't decide what they identify as, nor can anyone else but the person themselves.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-05-31, 17:22

Dr. House wrote:I'm sorry for my previous posts, but I have a question. I've always thought that transpeople wanted to be seen as the gender they felt like. Men wanted to be called "ma'am" and perceived as the women they were. So I'm quite puzzled at how so many new genders popped up out of nowhere right now...

Because not everyone feels like either a man or a woman or believes that there's really a reason to categorize everyone in the world as either one or the other?

Lur

Postby Lur » 2015-05-31, 17:23

"Trans people" is better than "transpeople". The amount of genders you're seeing is a loose group of neologisms with roughly similar meanings that are used to refer to non binary people, (Binary being woman/man) because not all trans people live in a perfectly delineated binary gender. This happens in some indigenous cultures but seems to be some sort of social sin in Europe.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2015-05-31, 18:02

Lur wrote:

"Trans people" is better than "transpeople". The amount of genders you're seeing is a loose group of neologisms with roughly similar meanings that are used to refer to non binary people, (Binary being woman/man) because not all trans people live in a perfectly delineated binary gender. This happens in some indigenous cultures but seems to be some sort of social sin in Europe.

Yeah. Well I understand the concept, but what's the difference between agender/genderless and neutrois as an example?
I'm a cis man. There are cis women, trans men and trans women. And then there are the ones who are neither males nor females, but all these half forms and mercury etc. make the whole matter a lot more confusing for people outside the transgender community.

Lur

Postby Lur » 2015-05-31, 18:32

Dr. House wrote:
Lur wrote:

what's the difference between agender/genderless and neutrois as an example?

I have no idea. I guess it's the words are born out of different interpretations.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2015-06-01, 1:33

I thought neutrois meant having a gender which is in between male and female (kind of like the concepts of "androgyny" or "epicene") while agender meant, well, no gender.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-06-01, 1:54

Might I ask why trans people is preferred to transpeople? I mean, you say it the same either way. And it's not like there's any negative connotation (that I am aware of) with the spelling.

If I saw bipeople I wouldn't care (and yes, I am comparing sexuality to gender, but I think it works :para: ). Cisman wouldn't bother me either.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2015-06-01, 2:00

Koko wrote:Might I ask why trans people is preferred to transpeople? I mean, you say it the same either way. And it's not like there's any negative connotation (that I am aware of) with the spelling.

If I saw bipeople I wouldn't care (and yes, I am comparing sexuality to gender, but I think it works :para: ). Cisman wouldn't bother me either.
I'm guessing because it clarifies that a trans person is just that: a person who is trans. "Transpeople" has the connotation of reducing someone to their gender, which is fucked and weird.

For comparison, you don't say "a cancerous"; you say "a cancer patient". This is why we've made the shift from calling people "depressives" and "schizophrenics" to "people with X": it's part of a broader movement called person-centered language.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-06-01, 2:08

That's true enough. Thanks mōdgethanc ^^

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2015-06-01, 2:11

Koko wrote:That's true enough. Thanks mōdgethanc ^^
De nada.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Return to “Politics and Religion”