Uralic languages: Links to threads / posts

h34

Re: Uralic languages: Links to threads / posts

Postby h34 » 2021-01-29, 21:46

Linguaphile wrote:
Naava wrote:I have an entire book full of these in Finnish. :whistle:

This could be a never-ending task. Especially if folksongs qualify as poems.

Nevertheless I think these specifically would be good to include, since they are basically folktales / creation stories in sung form:

Estonian: 1. 2
Votic: 1
Ingrian: 1, 2
Veps: 1

I'm not going to try to list the other folksongs that have been posted for those languages, it would already be too many, I think. But these that I've mentioned above also qualify as "poems" and "tales", so.... :D

Thanks a lot! I just wanted to add some links here "randomly". Of course it's never going to be a comprehensive list. :D

Linguaphile wrote:Recipes
(Words for "Bon appetit!" next to the language name …)

-- Ingrian / Izhorian Leivaa soola!
-- Karelian Leibü suolu süöjile! / …
-- Veps Leib da sol! / …

-- Votic / Votian Leipä soola! / …

Interesting! Also in Komi:
---- Komi-Permyak Нянь-сов!
---- Komi-Zyrian Нянь-сов! / Нянь да сов!
(Lit. "Bread (and) salt!". In those dialects that have preserved final -л, it's "Нянь-сол!")
Thanks for any corrections

Linguaphile

Re: Uralic languages: Links to threads / posts

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-01-30, 1:38

h34 wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:
Naava wrote:I have an entire book full of these in Finnish. :whistle:

This could be a never-ending task. Especially if folksongs qualify as poems.

Thanks a lot! I just wanted to add some links here "randomly". Of course it's never going to be a comprehensive list. :D

Oh, I know, I was just joking, because I think Uralic languages tend to be quite rich in these areas. :mrgreen:
"It's never going to be a comprehensive list" is of course true of pretty much everything else we've listed in this thread, too. Definitely true of the recipes section I just added as well.
:silly:

h34 wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:Recipes
(Words for "Bon appetit!" next to the language name …)

-- Ingrian / Izhorian Leivaa soola!
-- Karelian Leibü suolu süöjile! / …
-- Veps Leib da sol! / …

-- Votic / Votian Leipä soola! / …

Interesting! Also in Komi:
---- Komi-Permyak Нянь-сов!
---- Komi-Zyrian Нянь-сов! / Нянь да сов!
(Lit. "Bread (and) salt!". In those dialects that have preserved final -л, it's "Нянь-сол!")

Thanks!
It's actually quite widespread. Russians say Хлеб да соль too, Veps has taken it virtually unchanged, since the words for "bread" and "salt" are both cognates with Russian. And, of course, the tradition of actually giving bread and salt is widespread as well, see here: Wikipedia: Bread and Salt. (I found this part amusing: "...crackers and salt tablets were used in the spaceship." Talk about widespread! For some reason the substitution of "crackers and salt tablets" in space in place of "bread and salt" made me laugh.)

Return to “Uralic Languages”