Uralic Music Thread

hajoseszter
Re: Uralic Music Thread

Postby hajoseszter » 2020-11-16, 14:18

awrui wrote:You could just try to send them a message on facebook and ask for the lyrics- they are very responsive.

Sorry, I'm not sure, who did you write this about?

awrui

Postby awrui » 2020-11-17, 11:51

hajoseszter wrote:
awrui wrote:You could just try to send them a message on facebook and ask for the lyrics- they are very responsive.

Sorry, I'm not sure, who did you write this about?

The Skolt Saami band :)

suruvaippa

Postby suruvaippa » 2021-02-06, 3:13

Linguaphile wrote:For the Skolt Saami songs, I will try to see what I can find, but I don't know that language as well. I don't even remember how I managed to post the lyrics; my knowledge of the language isn't really good enough to transcribe it by ear. I think I must have found the lyrics written somewhere, but I don't really remember! A Google search turns up nothing except my own post. :oops: So I will try to figure out the missing word, or where I might have gotten the Skolt lyrics from, but as with the missing line in the Ingrian song, I'm not sure if I can. These aren't languages I know as well.

I was about to ask where you found the lyrics as well. Mainly because the pronounciations of almost half the words seem to deviate from the lyrics more than could be explained by the interspeaker variations I'm familiar with. I suppose I might buy a physical copy of their album someday, and if it happens to come with the lyrics in print, then that would be helpful. (or I could ask them really nicely in Skolt for some of their lyrics ;) )
(en-us) native, (fi) advanced, (smi-sme) (smi-sms) (et) working on, (lt) (es) forgetting
(smi-sma) (liv) (ka) (eu) (nv) (ru) (sw) eventually...

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-02-06, 3:37

suruvaippa wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:For the Skolt Saami songs, I will try to see what I can find, but I don't know that language as well. I don't even remember how I managed to post the lyrics; my knowledge of the language isn't really good enough to transcribe it by ear. I think I must have found the lyrics written somewhere, but I don't really remember! A Google search turns up nothing except my own post. :oops: So I will try to figure out the missing word, or where I might have gotten the Skolt lyrics from, but as with the missing line in the Ingrian song, I'm not sure if I can. These aren't languages I know as well.

I was about to ask where you found the lyrics as well. Mainly because the pronounciations of almost half the words seem to deviate from the lyrics more than could be explained by the interspeaker variations I'm familiar with. I suppose I might buy a physical copy of their album someday, and if it happens to come with the lyrics in print, then that would be helpful. (or I could ask them really nicely in Skolt for some of their lyrics ;) )

That would be cool! It's weird because I really don't remember how or why I posted those lyrics. :noclue:
But I think it was from this:
Obviously not from that specific photo, because the text there is not clear. But I remember seeing this before and I think I must have gotten the lyrics from the projection behind Suõmmkar in the photo, either from a video or a different photo of this event. It is at the release of their album, at the Ijahis Idja festival on 18 August 2018. I'm sure there are other photos and videos out there which may be the one I used, but searching just now all I found was the above one from Suõmmkar's Facebook. They have some videos there too. It would also explain why I was confident about posting this as the lyrics, if it is what Suõmmkar were using themselves at their concert.
Last edited by Linguaphile on 2021-02-06, 4:33, edited 1 time in total.

suruvaippa

Postby suruvaippa » 2021-02-06, 4:29

In any case, Iʹm 75% sure that the missing word there must be some form of âʹsǩǩ, Iʹm just not really sure which.
(en-us) native, (fi) advanced, (smi-sme) (smi-sms) (et) working on, (lt) (es) forgetting

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-02-06, 4:34

suruvaippa wrote:In any case, Iʹm 75% sure that the missing word there must be some form of âʹsǩǩ, Iʹm just not really sure which.

Hey! I just edited my post above because I *sort of* figured out where I got the lyrics from. :wink:
Now the question is, can we figure out which form of âʹsǩǩ it is from this blurry photo. :para: Nope, I don't think I can but maybe the photo or video that I used before is still out there somewhere where someday I'll find it again.
:silly:

suruvaippa

Postby suruvaippa » 2021-02-06, 5:22

Linguaphile wrote:Now the question is, can we figure out which form of âʹsǩǩ it is from this blurry photo.

I can't exactly "read" that, but from the word lengths and letter size proportions it seems that âʹsǩǩ (or inflected form thereof) is indeed missing. It also looks like the hyphens separating words from clitics on the screen, at least, are missing from this text. So I suppose it's also possible that there were some transcription errors between what was shown on the screen and the text lyrics in your earlier post.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-02-06, 6:27

suruvaippa wrote:I can't exactly "read" that, but from the word lengths and letter size proportions it seems that âʹsǩǩ (or inflected form thereof) is indeed missing.

:shock: Good eyes! (Pueʹr čââʹlm! :?: )
suruvaippa wrote:Image

suruvaippa

Postby suruvaippa » 2021-02-06, 7:13

Linguaphile wrote:(Pueʹr čââʹlm! :?: )

Šiõǥǥ čââʹlm

Feist, A Grammar of Skolt Saami wrote:The adjectives pueʹrr 'good' and šiõǥǥ 'good' show irregular behaviour. The
adjective pueʹrr 'good' can only be used predicatively, hence in attributive
constructions the adjective šiõǥǥ 'good', which can appear both predicatively and
attributively, is used. On the other hand, the comparative and superlative forms of
šiõǥǥ 'good' are those of the adjective pueʹrr 'good'. A similar thing is observed with
the adjectives jõnn 'big' and šurr 'big'. Only jõnn 'big' is used attributively, while the
comparative and superlative forms of both adjectives are those of the adjective šurr
'big'.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-02-06, 15:39

suruvaippa wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:(Pueʹr čââʹlm! :?: )

Šiõǥǥ čââʹlm

Feist, A Grammar of Skolt Saami wrote:The adjectives pueʹrr 'good' and šiõǥǥ 'good' show irregular behaviour. The
adjective pueʹrr 'good' can only be used predicatively, hence in attributive
constructions the adjective šiõǥǥ 'good', which can appear both predicatively and
attributively, is used. On the other hand, the comparative and superlative forms of
šiõǥǥ 'good' are those of the adjective pueʹrr 'good'. A similar thing is observed with
the adjectives jõnn 'big' and šurr 'big'. Only jõnn 'big' is used attributively, while the
comparative and superlative forms of both adjectives are those of the adjective šurr
'big'.

:waytogo:

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2021-03-27, 17:48

(fi) Teleks - Tuulilasin nurkkaan
https://youtu.be/dqo1g9kzFaY

suruvaippa

Postby suruvaippa » 2021-07-28, 6:00

Linguaphile wrote:
suruvaippa wrote:In any case, Iʹm 75% sure that the missing word there must be some form of âʹsǩǩ, Iʹm just not really sure which.

Hey! I just edited my post above because I *sort of* figured out where I got the lyrics from. :wink:
Now the question is, can we figure out which form of âʹsǩǩ it is from this blurry photo. :para: Nope, I don't think I can but maybe the photo or video that I used before is still out there somewhere where someday I'll find it again.
:silly:

Bumping this as I just came across this article:
https://etnomusikologia.journal.fi/arti ... 0118/57605

Juõvv-a-päʹhtt-e lij Njauddâmsijdd-ääkkaž
di juõvv-a-päʹhtt Njauddâmjokk siidâž.
Mij leäʹp puätt-a-maž, mij leäʹp puätt-a-maž
mâʹte käirrav õʹsǩǩe låådda-da pâi juõvi paauʹti ǥ-õʹsǩǩe-[he] jo sizz.

Louhikko-pahta on Näätämösiida-akkanen
ja louhikko-pahta Näätämöjoki siidanen.
Me olemme tulleet, me olemme tulleet
kuin kajavat konsanaan, lintuset
kuin louhikko-pahtojen konsanaan jo sisään.

Here õʹsǩǩe is translated as konsanaan, which is a way of emphasizing a comparison, e.g. in the fourth line kuin kajavat konsanaan, lintuset ~ "just like gulls, little birds" or "just as if..."

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-04-14, 19:33

(mns) Куккук (Аги марсюм эрыг) The Cuckoo (Maiden's Lament)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gec0BSTaNds

Куккук нēлме толāяс,
Мāкем хосат сāйкāлас,
Атырхари лӯи тӯя,
Хосат мāкем хосит ӯи.

The cuckoo's tongue is melting,
My land has been slowly awakening,
The cloudless sky of spring is singing,
Floating through my land.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2022-04-14, 20:00

(fi) Läksin minä kesäyönä käymään - I went to visit on a summer night (a Finnish folk song)
https://youtu.be/hfDkj_SbDNU
Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler

Translation:
► Show Spoiler

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2022-04-15, 21:48

(sme) Solju - Ođđa Áigodat (New times)

https://youtu.be/ffT8bArYOxQ
Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler

Translation:
► Show Spoiler

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-04-15, 22:36

Naava wrote:(fi) Läksin minä kesäyönä käymään - I went to visit on a summer night (a Finnish folk song)
https://youtu.be/hfDkj_SbDNU
Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler

Translation:
► Show Spoiler

Your video above says "video not available", or at least it does for me. I looked on Youtube, and found that there are a gazillion different videos for this song, so I don't know which one you might have posted. But I thought this version was interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luSekW6lgaU

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2022-04-15, 22:43

Linguaphile wrote:Your video above says "video not available", or at least it does for me. I looked on Youtube, and found that there are a gazillion different videos for this song, so I don't know which one you might have posted. But I thought this version was interesting:

Oh no. :? I guess there's some country restrictions for that video. Anyway, looks like your telepathy skills are working well because the video I posted was sung by Rajaton, the same group the guy in your video mimicked... :)

Here's the same song sung by a choir. It sounds quite similar to the Rajaton's recording. I hope this one works?
https://youtu.be/ORCzee7aE6k

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-04-15, 22:51

Naava wrote:Oh no. :? I guess there's some country restrictions for that video. Anyway, looks like your telepathy skills are working well because the video I posted was sung by Rajaton, the same group the guy in your video mimicked... :)

Here's the same song sung by a choir. It sounds quite similar to the Rajaton's recording. I hope this one works?
https://youtu.be/ORCzee7aE6k

Yes, it does work! Thanks. I actually searched to see if I could find one by Rajaton, because I saw that the video I did post referred to it, and couldn't find one. So I guess all videos of their version are blocked here.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2022-04-15, 23:28

Let's continue with the folk song theme. Finnish folk songs can be divided into two groups: 1) The very sad ones. Life is hard and everything sucks, also my love has left me. 2) The ones that make you laugh and think "well that's got some attitude". I've given you an example of #1 already, so here's an example of #2.

https://youtu.be/kUFWYYbF4WA
Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler

Translation:
► Show Spoiler

And here's a recording of the same song from 1926 as a treat:
https://youtu.be/NvLOG_hNH2c

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-04-19, 22:02

Naava wrote:The ones that make you laugh and think "well that's got some attitude".

Here's an Estonian one with attitude:

Antsu - Läksin metsa (I went into the forest)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2UiS5wtqVA

Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler

Translation:
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Uralic Languages”