Saami forum expanding to include Uralic?

Are you in favor of a merger?

No: keep the Saami forum as it is.
6%
Yes: include other minority Uralic languages.
75%
Yes: include other minority Finnic languages.
No votes
Yes: include all Uralic languages on a single forum, including the larger languages (Finnish, Estonian, Hungarian, etc.).
No votes
Other (please comment below)!
19%

Total votes: 16

Linguaphile
Saami forum expanding to include Uralic?

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-07, 15:17

Because this forum doesn't have much activity, there has been a suggestion here (see more recent posts) to change this forum from being exclusively for Saami languages to being for minority Uralic languages in general. In other words, along with Saami languages, there could also be posts here about Veps, Votic, Karelian, Livonian, Ingrian, Mari, Komi, Erzya, Moksha, Khanty, Mansi, etc. (languages which currently don't have forums). I'm creating a poll to see how users here feel about this. Please vote!

I have edited the survey to include more options, and tried to make the wording a bit shorter. The first two options are the same as the original two. I added two more, plus "other". You can change you vote if you would like to. Post below if you have questions.
Last edited by Linguaphile on 2018-03-07, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy

Re: Saami forum expanding to include Uralic?

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-07, 15:38

One suggestion: expand the poll to include all the options discussed, like I did for the Hebrew poll.

This is just a suggestion, :)

For reference: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=52834

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-07, 19:38

księżycowy wrote:One suggestion: expand the poll to include all the options discussed, like I did for the Hebrew poll.

This is just a suggestion, :)

For reference: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=52834

I like the way you did that one. I'll follow you example. But I can't edit the one I've already made, can I? So I'll make a second one.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-07, 19:42

I think you can edit your poll. You just have to edit the first message in this thread, I think.

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Postby gothwolf » 2018-03-07, 20:05

I would be glad to have all Uralic languages together. :yep:

Just an idea of the future flag

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-07, 20:20

gothwolf wrote:I would be glad to have all Uralic languages together. :yep:

Please vote! Since I modified the survey to include more options, everyone will have to vote again.

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Postby gothwolf » 2018-03-07, 21:06

Linguaphile wrote:

Please vote! Since I modified the survey to include more options, everyone will have to vote again.

Voted!

In my opinion we should not include the larger languages from this group because the sub-forum would become too messy and the top threads would be Hungarian, Finnish and Estonian.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-07, 22:18

gothwolf wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:

Voted!

In my opinion we should not include the larger languages from this group because the sub-forum would become too messy and the top threads would be Hungarian, Finnish and Estonian.

I agree with you. I would love to have the other "smaller" Uralic languages here because there isn't currently any place for them (and they are probably too small to justify a completely new board; to me it makes sense to expand this board to include them.) But the three "larger" languages already have their own forums and I think it should stay that way.

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-08, 6:22

gothwolf wrote:Voted!

I'm with you. Those three languages are big & popular enough to have their own subforum.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-03-11, 7:18

I would like to keep the Sami forum as it is, and create a new forum for Uralic languages. Of course, if is this is not possible, then let them be in the same forum. But do you think that people who don't know they are placed there, will find them? :hmm:

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-11, 14:52

Antea wrote:I would like to keep the Sami forum as it is, and create a new forum for Uralic languages. Of course, if is this is not possible, then let them be in the same forum. But do you think that people who don't know they are placed there, will find them? :hmm:

As far as people finding them, the name of the forum would be changed so that it was clear that the forum was for any minority Uralic language. I think people would be able to find them as easily as they have been able to find this Sami forum, and if posts are made elsewhere, I think they will be directed here. And the posts would certainly be easier to find than they are now, since currently they are nearly impossible to find, scattered across the Other Languages, General Language, Sami Languages, Hungarian and Russian forums (see this thread).

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-15, 0:37

This list of links to various Uralic language threads on Unilang (currently scattered in various forums) was created in the UL Uralic Café and I'd thought I'd post it here so that anyone interested can find these posts more easily for now.

Uralic (general):
Uralic Languages Word-Association Game
Uralic Music
UL Uralic Café

Finno-Ugric (general)
Same Topic About Finno-Ugric Languages

Saamic (has its own forum)

Finnic (1)
Finnic (2)
Finnic (3)
Finnic (4)
UL Finnic Cafe (on the General Languages forum)
-- Finnish (has its own forum)
-- Estonian (has its own forum)
-- Karelian (Finnic thread)
-- Karelian (new thread)
-- Veps (Finnic thread)
-- Ingrian (Finnic thread)

-- Votic / Votian
-- Ludic
-- Livonian
-- Livonian (resources)
-- Livonian (on the General Language Forum)
-- Võro (thread on Estonian forum)

Mordvinic (Erzya, Moksha)
-- Erzya
-- Moksha

Mari
-- Meadow Mari
-- Hill Mari

Permic (Komi, Udmurt)
-- Komi
-- Udmurt

Hungarian (has its own forum)

Ob-Ugric (Khanty, Mansi)
Khanty and Mansi (on the Hungarian forum)
-- Mansi
-- Khanty

Samoyedic
-- Nenets
-- Enets
-- Selkup

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-15, 1:13

Copying my response from the other thread:
vijayjohn wrote:I voted "other" in this poll. If the Sami languages are merged with anything, then I also believe they should be merged with other minority Uralic languages. However, I am also personally fine with the Sami languages forum staying as it is.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-15, 1:37

vijayjohn wrote:Copying my response from the other thread:
vijayjohn wrote:I voted "other" in this poll. If the Sami languages are merged with anything, then I also believe they should be merged with other minority Uralic languages. However, I am also personally fine with the Sami languages forum staying as it is.

And I don't have any particular wish to eliminate the Saami forum if people want it, or to eliminate any forum at all, but I would like to have a place for the other Uralic languages too. The reason that merging the Saami forum into a Uralic forum seems reasonable to me* is that this Saami forum is extremely quiet. In fact, with the exception of a couple of posts by Olinguito in the Saami Languages Word-Association Game, it looks like every post on this forum since 2016 (i.e., all posts in 2017 and 2018) have been mine. In other words, there has been hardly any activity at all. It's that quiet. There was quite a bit of activity in 2013 and summer 2016, both of which were before I had joined this forum. Not much since then. :doggy: Adding other, related languages might even increase activity for Saami, too, since there would probably be more discussion going here in general.

*by the way, for anyone reading this who hasn't followed the discussions, I'm not the one who originally proposed merging the Saami forum with a new Uralic forum. I don't even remember who first proposed it. But for the reason I explained above, it makes sense to me, and to me seemed to be the easiest/most likely way to create a Uralic forum.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-15, 5:40

It actually started with this.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-22, 5:16

So the poll has been open for two weeks, and "Yes: include other minority Uralic languages" is at 86%. I posted a comment in the Language Subforums Management Discussion thread to share the results of the poll with those who are discussion this sort of thing over there. Anyone know what the next step should be?
I'm not sure if we should end the poll (and if we should, I'm not sure how to do that without accidentally deleting the results instead. I'm afraid to try it. So if I should end the poll, maybe someone can tell me how to do that.) :yep:
Or we can just leave it and see if more people vote.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-23, 0:27

Linguaphile wrote:Anyone know what the next step should be?

The one that's already been taken now? :silly:

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-23, 1:02

vijayjohn wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:Anyone know what the next step should be?

The one that's already been taken now? :silly:

Yes! So in case others following this thread haven't seen it yet, this is now the Uralic forum.

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Postby gothwolf » 2018-03-24, 21:09

Yey! We have a merged forum now with a nice flag but without a moderator. ;)

In case there are no volunteers I could take on this responsibility. :blush:

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-24, 21:23

gothwolf wrote:Yey! We have a merged forum now with a nice flag but without a moderator. ;)

In case there are no volunteers I could take on this responsibility. :blush:

I'm happy to hear you volunteer. I don't know how moderators are chosen, but if you're willing, that certainly sounds good to me.

Return to “Uralic Languages”