kuus = six
säidse = seven
katõsa = eight
ütesä = nine
kümme = ten

olõq terveq tulõmast = welcome
tereq = hello, hi
tereq hummogust = good morning
tereq pääväst = good afternoon (lit. good day)
tereq õdagust = good evening
hääd üüd = good night
hääd aigo = goodbye
näemiq = see you later

ma armasta sinno = I love you
miä su nimi om? = what is your name?
mu nimi om = my name is
rõõm nätäq = nice to see you
kuis lätt? = how are you? (lit. how does it go?)
häste = well, fine
ku vana sa olõt? = how old are you?
ma olõ katskümmend säidse aastaka vana = I am 27 years old
pallõsi = please

aiteh = thank you
palľo õnnõ = congratulation[/b]s
kas sa saat võro keelest arvo = do you understand Võro language
[b]ma kõnõlõ võro kiilt
= I speak Võro
ma kõnõlõ-õi võro kiilt = I don’t speak Võro
ma olõ võrokõnõ = I am Võro
kas sa kõnõlõt ingüse kiilt = do you speak English
jah = yes
ei = no
annaq andis = sorry, excuse me

Linguaphile

Re: Võru keel

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-04-23, 20:43

https://youtu.be/UxkLUGbnqzI?t=60

The text of this video is quite long so I broke it up into two parts. This is part 2, beginning at 1:00 and continuing until the end of the video. My translation is slightly different from the one in the video, it is not that the one in the video is incorrect, but this gives you two different perspectives on how to translate the sentences.
Text by Saarõ Evar (original source) and read aloud by Sullõv Jüvä.

Keeletiidüsligun mõttõn om võro kiil päämäne osa lõunaeesti keelest. = Linguistically, the main part of the South Estonian language is the Võro language.
    keeletiidüsligun = linguistic (inessive)
    mõttõn = thoughts (inessive)
    om = is (3s of olõma “to be”)
    võro kiil = Võro language (nominative)
    päämäne = main, central, principal (nominative)
    osa = part, share (nominative)
    lõunaeesti= south Estonian (genitive)
    keelest = language (elative)

Lõunaeesti kiilt om vahel nimmat ka ungandi keeles, selle et tuud kiilt om kõnõld terve Ugandi innemuistsõ maakunna maiõ pääl (ja kavvõmbalgi). = The South Estonian language is sometimes also called the Ugandi language, because this language is spoken across all of the historical Ugandi county (and further).
    lõunaeesti = south Estonian
    kiil = language (partitive)
    om = is (1s of olõma “to be”)
    vahel = sometimes
    nimmat = mentioned, named (participle of nimmama)
    ka = also
    ungandi = Ugandi (genitive)
    keeles = language (translative)
    selle et = because
    tuud = this (partitive)
    kiilt = language (partitive)
    om = is (3s of “to be”)
    kõnõld = spoken (participle of kõnõlõma “to speak”)
    terve = all
    Ugandi = Ugandi (genitive)
    innemuistsõ = ancient (genitive)
    maakunna = county (genitive)
    maiõ = lands (genitive plural)
    pääl = on
    ja = and
    kavvõmbalgi = even further (adessive emphatic)

Lõunaeesti olľ üts säitsmest õdagumeresoomõ innemuistsõst murdõst (õdagusoomõ, põh’aeesti, lõunaeesti, liivi, vadja, innemuistnõ kar’ala, innemuistnõ vepsä) ja om võrdõlõja keeletiidüse jaos üts kümnest õdagumeresoomõ täämbädse päävä keelest. = South Estonian was one of seven Balto-Finnic ancient dialects (Western Finnic, North Estonian, South Estonian, Livonian, Votic, Old Karelian, Old Vepsian) and for comparative linguistics is one of ten contemporary Balto-Finnic languages.

Word-by-word explanations in spoiler tags from here on:
► Show Spoiler

Neo kümme kiilt ommaq soomõ, eesti, lõunaeesti, liivi, vadja, isuri, valgõmerekar’ala, aunusõkar’ala, lüüdi ja vepsä kiil. = Those ten languages are Finnish, Estonian, South Estonian, Livonian, Votic, Izhorian, North Karelian, Olonets Karelian, Ludian, and Veps.
► Show Spoiler

Sotsiolingvistiga mõõdipuiõ perrä om õdagumeresoomõ kiili inämbki (nt meä ja kveeni kiil), a naidõ kümme eräle kaeminõ näütäs kõgõ selgembäle vällä keeleaoluulidsõ lakjaminegi ja ei olõnõ keelepoliitiliidsist saisukotussist. = According to sociolinguistic criteria there are even more Balto-Finnic languages (e.g. Meänkieli, Kven) but the distinction of those ten is shown most clearly through historical linguistic development and isn’t dependent on a linguistic-political point of view.
► Show Spoiler

Võro keelel ommaq olõman kõik joonõq, miä lõunaeesti keele esiqsugumadsõs tegeväq ja tedä tõisisit õdagumeresoomõ kiilist lahon hoitvaq. = The Võro language has all the typical characteristics which differentiate South Estonian from other Balto-Finnic languages.
► Show Spoiler

Säänesama om lugu ka seto keelega, midä om murdõuurmisõ praktikan lõunaeesti Võro murdõ ütes osas peetü. = It’s the same story with the Seto language, which in the practice of dialect studies is considered part of the Võro language.
► Show Spoiler

Et tarto ja mulgi keelealaq ommaq õkva põh’aeesti keelega kõrvuisi, ommaq neo keelevariantsiq põh’aeesti keelega rohkõmb üttemuudu. = Because the Tartu and Mulgi language areas are right alongside North Estonian, their language variants are more similar to North Estonian.
► Show Spoiler

Siski om ka tarto ja mulgi keele vana põhi kimmäle lõunaeesti kiil. =
Nevertheless, the historical basis for the Tartu and Mulgi languages is firmly the South Estonian language.
► Show Spoiler

Ku katssada aastat tagasi kirotõdi lõunaeesti kiilt Tarto murdõn ja keele kotsilõ üteldi ka päämidselt tarto kiil, sis täämbädses om Võromaa tuu kant, kon umma kiilt kõgõ inämb pruugitas. = If two hundred years ago the South Estonian language was written in the Tartu dialect and it was mainly called the Tartu language, then today Võromaa is the place where our language is used the most.
► Show Spoiler

Võrokõisilõ om niiüteldä katõtõistkümnendäl tunnil umatsõs saanuq mõtlõminõ, et võro kiil, midä vanõmbaq latsilõ egäpäävätselt edesi andvaq, om tähtsä asi ja keelevaihtamist, miä jo käümä om lännüq, piäs kuigimuudu kinniq pidämä. = The Võro people have in the so-called eleventh hour started thinking as a people, that the Võro language, which elders pass on to children through everyday life, is important and that the language shift, which has already begun, should somehow be stopped.
► Show Spoiler

Täämbäne lõunaeesti kiil om taa keele kõnõlõjidõ jaos innekõkkõ emotsionaalsõlt umanõ kodokotussõ-kiil, tuuperäst saa-i võro kiilt tõisilõ lõunaeestläisile pääle sundi. = Contemporary South Estonian is for its speakers primarily a language of one’s own home in an emotional sense, therefore the Võro language can’t be forced onto other South Estonians.
► Show Spoiler

Inämbjaolt omgi mõistlikumb kõnõlda eräle mulgi, tarto, võro ja seto keelest, kuiki tõnõkõrd või nätäq, et kats kõrvuisi kiilt olõssi kirotanuq mitmit asju õkva täpsähe üttemuudu. = For the most part, it makes the most sense to speak separately about the Mulgi language, the Tartu language, the Võro language and the Seto language, even though two languages alongside each other may write many things in exactly the same way.
► Show Spoiler

Uma kodokotussõ keele pruukmisõ, edendämise ja oppamisõ vajadus piät tulõma grupi seest. = The need to use, develop and teach one’s home language should come from within the group.
► Show Spoiler

Ka mulgi ja tarto keelel piät laskma umma ello elläq. = The Mulgi and Tartu languages should also be allowed to live their own lives.
► Show Spoiler

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-05-08, 3:14

Tuulikki Bartosik, Ramo Teder & Mari Kalkun - Mis Om Suurõ Järve Takan (What Lies Beyond the Big Lake)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p44Kd8vgcLw
Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler

Translation:
► Show Spoiler

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-05-09, 4:23

Mari Kalkun - Keelega-meelega (With tongue and heart)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8D5X1ogilc

Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler

Translation:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Linguaphile on 2020-05-10, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-05-10, 0:00

A dialogue in Võro: Bussijaamahn (At the bus station) (source)

Mari eläs Helsingihn ja opṕ suuŕkoolihn. = Mari lives in Helsinki and studies at the university.
    Mari = Mari (personal name)
    eläs = she lives (third person singular of elämä)
    Helsingihn = in Helsinki (inessive case of Helsingi)
    ja = and
    opṕ = studies (third person singular of oṕma)
    suuŕkoolihn = in the university (inessive case of suuŕkool)
Noq lätt tä katõs kuuss Võromaalõ. = Now she is going to Võromaa for two months.
    noq = now
    lätt = she goes (third person singular of minemä)
    = she
    katõs = for two (translative case of katś)
    kuuss = for months (translative case of kuu)
    Võromaalõ = to Võromaa (allative case of Võromaa)
Timä taht Võromaal võro kiilt oppiq. = She wants to study the Võro language in Võromaa.
    timä = she
    taht = wants (third person singular of tahtma)
    Võromaal = at Võromaa (adessive case of Võromaa)
    võro = Võro, Võru
    kiilt = language (partitive singular of kiil)
    oppiq = to study (second infinitive of oṕma)
Tä nakkas elämä ütehn võrokeelidsehn perrehn. = She is going to live with a Võro-speaking family.
    = she
    nakkas = is going, is starting (third person singular of nakkama)
    elämä = to live
    ütehn = in one (inessive case of ütś)
    võrokeelidsehn = in a Võro-language (inessive case of võrokeeline)
    perrehn = family (inessive of perre)
Tä ei tunnõq vii̬l noid inemiisi. = She hasn't met them yet.
    = she
    ei = no, not
    tunnõq = know (connegative of tundma)
    vii̬l = yet
    noid = those (partitive plural of soo)
    inemiisi = people (partitive plural of inemine)
Parhillaq um Mari Võro bussijaamahn. = Right now Mari is at the Võro bus station.
    parhillaq = right now
    um = is (third person singular of olõma)
    Mari = Mari (personal name)
    Võro = Võro (name of a city)
    bussijaamahn = bus station (inessive case of bussijaam)
Tä võtt uma koti ja lätt kassa manoq. = She takes her bag and goes to the ticket window.
    = she
    võtt = takes (third person singular of võtma)
    uma = her own, one's own
    koti = bag (partitive singular case of kotť)
    ja = and
    lätt = she goes (third person singular of minemä)
    kassa = cash register, ticket window (genitive case of kassa)
    manoq = up to, to beside
MARI: Tereh! Maq pallõsiq üte piledi Misśo bussi pääle. = Hello! I would like one ticket for the bus to Misso.
    tereh = hello
    maq = I
    pallõsiq = would ask (first person conditional of pallõma)
    üte = one (genitive case of ütś)
    piledi = ticket (genitive case of pileť)
    Misśo = Misso (the name of a borough and previously the name of a parish)
    bussi = bus (genitive case of busś)
    pääle = on
PILEDIMÜ̬Ü̬JÄ: Tereq! Kohe tii̬q tahat sõitaq? = Hello! Where do you want to get off?
    piledimü̬ü̬ja = ticketseller (piledi = genitive of pileť "ticket" and mü̬ü̬ja seller, from the verb mü̬ü̬mä "to sell")
    tereq = hello
    kohe = to where
    tii̬q = road
    tahat = you want (second person singular formal of tahtma)
    sõitaq = to travel by vehicle (second infinitive of sõitma)
MARI: Ruusmäe piätüste. = To the stop at Ruusmäe.
    Ruusmäe = Ruusmäe (placename)
    piätüste = to the stop (inessive case of piätüs)
PILEDIMÜ̬Ü̬JÄ: Sinnäq ti saa-aiq järǵmädse bussi kaq. = You can't take the next bus there.
    sinnäq = to there
    ti = you
    saa-aiq = can't (saa = connegative of saama; aiq = no, not)
    järǵmädse = next (genitive case of järǵmäne)
    bussi = bus (genitive case of busś)
    kaq = also, too
Järǵmäne busś sõit üle Vahtsõliina. = The next bus goes to Vastseliina.
    järǵmäne = next
    busś = bus
    sõit = travels (third person singular of sõitma)
    üle = over, onto, on top of
    Vahtsõliina = Vastseliina (placename)
Maq mü̬ü̬ teile piledi ülejärǵmädsele bussilõ. = I'll sell you a ticket for the bus after next.
    maq = I
    mü̬ü̬ = I sell (first person singular of mü̬ü̬mä)
    teile = to you (allative case of ti̬i̬q)
    piledi = ticket (genitive case of pileť)
    ülejärǵmädsele = to the one after next (allative case of ülejärǵmäne)
    bussilõ = to the bus (allative case of busś)
MARI: Kuna tu̬u̬ vällä lätt? = What time does it depart?
    kuna = when
    tuu = that one
    lätt = it departs, leaves (third person singular of vällä minemä; vällä = out, minemä = to go
PILEDIMÜ̬Ü̬JÄ: Kell säidse. = At seven o'clock.
    kell = clock
    säidse = seven
MARI: Hüvä. Palľo pilet́ mass? = Okay. How much does a ticket cost?
    hüvä = good
    palľo = much; how much
    pileť = ticket
    mass = it costs (third person singular of masma)
PILEDIMÜ̬Ü̬JÄ: Katś ja pu̬u̬ľ õurot, olkõq hää! = Two and a half euros, please!
    katś = two
    ja = and
    pu̬u̬ľ = half
    õurot = euros (partitive singular of õuro)
    olkõq hää = please (lit. "be good": olkõq = 2nd person imperative formal of olõma; hää = good)
MARI: Pallõsiq! = Here you are!
    pallõsiq = conditional of pallõma, lit. "I would ask" (this also means "please")
PILEDIMÜ̬Ü̬JÄ: Aitumma! Siihn um ti̬i̬q pileť, võtkõq hääss! = Thank you! Here is your ticket!
    aitumma = thank you
    siihn = here
    um = is (third person singular of olõma)
    ti̬i̬q = your (genitive case of ti̬i̬q)
    pileť = ticket
    võtkõq hääss = polite phrase used as "you're welcome", "here you go" and so on. Literally "take for good": võtkõq = second person imperative of of võtma, + hääss = tranlative of hää)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-05-10, 17:25

Oort - Aeti mu mõtsa (I was sent to the forest)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyCYoKoptm8

Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler

Translation:
► Show Spoiler

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-05-11, 20:19

Kago - Tii ilo (Beauty of the road)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpfqXKO9zyc

Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler

Translation:
► Show Spoiler

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-05-12, 20:42

Svjata Vatra - Hobusemäng (The Horse Game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7auc4TNJohI

Maarja Nuut - Hobusemäng (The Horse Game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lAu3OfsxAk

Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler

Translation:
► Show Spoiler

(edit: corrected a typo in the translation)
Last edited by Linguaphile on 2022-02-23, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-05-14, 22:47

Video: Jüvä Sullõv talks about the Võro language, in Võro.
The transcription and translation below are not mine; they're taken from here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Yvsw2dnDE

No tereq! Mu nimi um Sullõv ja ma olõ võro keele kõnõlõja. = Well, hello! My name is Sullõv [in Estonian, Sulev] and I am a speaker of the Võro language.

Ja maq olõ esiq Võromaalt peri kah. = I myself am from Võromaa.

Ja ku nüüd võttaq niiviisi, et om siin kolm Õdagumeremaad vai kolm Baltimaad — Eesti, Läti, Leedu sis = and if we recall, there are three Baltic Sea countries, or Baltic states, here: Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania

Muq imä um peri säält [naidõ maiõ] kõgõ korgõmba kotusõ päält, Haanimaalt. = my mother is from the highest point of these countries, Haanimaa.

Et mul nigu sääne mino võro kiil, mino imäkiil um sis nigu sääne Süä-Võromaa kiil vai haani kiil — Vahtsõliina kihlkund ja Haani = Therefore my Võro language, my mother tongue, is kind of the language of the Võromaa heartland or Haani language — from Vahtsõliina parish and Haani.

Aga et mis kiil tuu võro kiil sis um? = But what kind of language is this Võro language?

Et võro kiil um üts väikene soomõ-ugri kiil. = Võro is a small Finno-Ugric language.

Uurali kiilkund ja uurali kiilkunna soomõ-ugri kiil. = It is a Finno-Ugric language of the Uralic language family.

Ja viil täpsämbält sis õdagumeresoomõ, üts väikene õdagumeresoomõ kiil. = And more precisely, it is a Baltic-Finnic, a small Baltic-Finnic language.

Ja taad kõnõldas Lõunõ-Eestih, täpsämbähe Lõunõhummogu-Eestih, Vanal-Võromaal. = And it is spoken in South Estonia, more precisely in South-Eastern Estonia, in Old Võromaa.

Tuu Vana-Võromaa um sääne võro keele ala sis, koh võro kiilt kõnõldas. = This Old Võromaa is like the territory of Võro, where the Võro language is spoken.

Ja lisas Vanalõ-Võromaalõ viil kõnõldas võro kiilt Tartoh ja Talliinah väega pall’o. = And in addition to Old Võromaa, Võro language is spoken in Tartu and Tallinn a lot.

Nii Tartoh ku Talliinah, naaq ummaq Eesti suurusõlt kats suurõmbat liina, um kummagih umbõs 10 000 võro keele kõnõlõjat. = In both Tartu and Tallinn — these are Estonia’s two largest cities — there are approximately 10,000 Võro speakers.

Ja kokko kõnõlõs võro kiilt, rahvalugõminõ oll’ aastagal 2011 ja võro kiil kõnõl’, ütliq inemiseq, et nääq kõnõlõsõq, mõistvaq võro kiilt, noid inemiisi, kiä nii ütliq, oll’ 75 000 piaaigu. = And in total, we had a population census in 2011, there were almost 75,000 people who said that they speak or understand Võro.

Niimuudu, et võro kiil ei olõq väega suur kiil, aga olõ-õi ka väega väikene kiil. = So, Võro is not a very large language, nor is it a very small language.

Et ku eesti kiilt kõnõlõs mill’on inemist umbõs, soomõ kiilt kõnõlõs viis mill’onit, sis võro kiilt kõnõlõs umbõs kümnendik Eesti inemiisist. = So if Estonian is spoken by approximately one million people, Finnish by about five million, Võro is spoken by approximately 1/10th of Estonians.

Umbõs kümnendik inemiisist, kiä mõistvaq eesti kiilt, kümnendik noist mõist ka võro kiilt. = Approximately 1/10th of the people who understand Estonian also understand Võro.

Ja võro kiil, noh, taa um eesti keele muudu, ja tõõsõst külest soomõ keele muudu. = And Võro, well, it is similar to Estonian, but on the other hand it is also similar to Finnish.

Et kiä mõist soomõ kiilt vai eesti kiilt, sis um väega kerge oppiq ka võro kiilt. = So for those who understand Finnish or Estonian, it is very easy to learn Võro.

Et, mõnõq ütleseq, et nigu siiäqmaaniq ammõtligult nigu Eesti riigih um tuu, et võro kiil olõsi nigu eesti keele murrõq. = So, some say that until now Võro has been viewed as a dialect of Estonian.

A tegeligult maq nii ei arvaq ja täämbätsel pääväl ka keeletiidläseq inämbüisi nii ei arvaq, et võro kiil um eesti keele murrõq. = But actually I don’t think so and today the majority of linguists don’t think that Võro is a dialect of Estonian.

Iks peetäs umaette keeles ja võro kiilt peetäs esiki noist õdagumeresoomõ keelist, et eesti ja soomõ ja kaŕala ja vepsä ja liivi ja noist kõgõ vanõmbas. = It is viewed as a separate language and Võro is even considered to be the oldest of the Baltic-Finnic languages, which include Estonian, Finnish, Karelian, Vepsian, and Livonian.

Just et lõunõeesti keeleq, et lisas võro keelele siin um ka viil mulgi, seto ja tarto kiil — nigu neli lõunõeesti kiilt. = In fact this applies to all South Estonian languages because in addition to Võro we also have Mulgi, Seto, and Tartu — four South Estonian languages.

Ku õdagu puult, mere puult, naadaq tulõma, sis mulgi um kõgõ vähämb, sis tarto um kah häste väikene, sis võro um kõgõ suurõmb lõunõeesti kiil ja seto um kah, vähämb, aga seto um kah sääne tugõvamb. = If we start from the West, from the sea, then Mulgi is the smallest language and Tartu is also very small. Võro is the largest South Estonian language and Seto, too. Seto is smaller, but it is among the stronger ones.

Et võro ja seto ummaq sääntseq tugõvambaq lõunõeesti keeleq ja mulgi ja tarto täämbätsel pääväl ummaq sääntseq nigu vähämbäq, kuigi nääq umal aol ummaq kah suurõmbaq olnuq. = So, Võro and Seto are stronger South Estonian languages, while Mulgi and Tartu are smaller ones nowadays, even though in the past they have also been bigger.

Nii et sääne kiil um taa võro kiil. = So Võro language is this kind of a language.

Et tä um eesti keele muudu, soomõ keele muudu, aga siski um ütsjago tõistmuudu. = It is similar to Estonian and Finnish, but still rather different.

Et no näütüses võro keeleh, et miä mul siiäq hammõ pääle um kirotõt, et: “kõnõlõ võro keelen”. = So for example in Võro, my T-shirt says, “Kõnõlõ võro keelen”.

Midä tuu tähendäs? = What does this mean?

No “kõnõlõ võro keelen” — et “maq kõnõlõ võro keelen”. = So, “kõnõlõ võro keelen” means “I speak the Võro language”.

Jah? A ku siin olõsi viil seo hõq siin lõpuh, võro keele tähtsä helü um seo hõq-helü = See? But if there were also this hõq at the end, an important sound in Võro language is this hõq-sound,

sääne kakkõhelü vai kurgupeehelü [ingl glottal stop], kurguga tetäs, nigu maq; maq ja saq ja latsõq ja majaq = this kind of glottal stop, made with the throat, like maq, maq and saq and latsõq and majaq

et ku olõsiq siin seo hõq-helü, q-tähega tuud kirotõdas, vai sis üläkomaga: “kõnõlõq võro keelen”, sis tuu olõsi joba käsk, et “saq kõnõlõq võro keelen!”. = If there were this hõq-sound, marked with the letter “q” or an apostrophe: “kõnõlõq võro keelen”, then this would become an imperative, meaning “you should speak the Võro language!”

A ku um niimuudu, sis um, et “maq kõnõlõ võro keelen”. = But if it is so, then it is ”maq kõnõlõ võro keelen”.

Ja sis võro keeleh um häste pall’o naid õ-sit: “kõnõlõ” — et üteh sõnaq um kolm õ-d: “kõnõlõ”, a või ka viil rohkõmb ollaq. = And then in Võro there are very many “õ” letters: “kõnõlõ” — three “õ”’ letters in one word : “kõnõlõ”, but there can be even more.

Ja sis um häste pall’o täpitähti: ä, ü, nii et häste pall’o. = And then there are very many letters with dots (umlauts): ä, ü, very many.

Et kutsutas vabahelükokkokõla. = This is known as vowel harmony.

Eesti keeleh tuud ei olõq inämb, kunagi oll’ eesti keeleh kah, a võro keeleh um — pall’o-pall’o täpitähti ja õ-sit. = In the Estonian language this [vowel harmoney] does not exist anymore, although it used to, but in the Võro language it still does — there are many, many letters with dots (umlauts) and “õ”-s.

Ja soomõ keeleh um ka pall’o täpitähti, pall’o ä-hellü säänest. = And in Finnish there are also many letters with dots (umlauts), many “ä” sounds.

Aga eesti keeleh inämb ei olõq. = But no more in Estonian.

Tuuh mõttõh um võro ja soomõ kiil just ummaq sarnadsõq, tuuh mõttõh. = In this sense, the Võro and Finnish languages are similar, in this sense.

Et nigu võro ja soomõ kiilt peetäs, et ummaq sääntseq häste vanaq keeleq. = So Võro and Finnish languages are viewed as these very old languages.

Eesti kiil um rohkõmb muutunuq. = Estonian has changed more.

Täämbädse ao eesti kiil um nigu edesi muutunuq, ei olõq inämb nii vana soomõ-ugrilinõ. = Today’s Estonian language has evolved, it is not so ancient [similar to Proto-] Finno-Ugric anymore.

Agaq võro ja soomõ kiilt peetäs sääntsis häste soomõ-ugri-perätsis vai vanaaigsis keelis. = But Võro and Finnish languages are viewed as these very Finno-Ugric, or ancient languages.

Ja ega siin tegeligult Eesti seeh kah inemiseq pidävägi võro kiilt sääntses häste vanas, vanas keeles. = And actually within Estonia people also consider Võro a very old, old language.

Et taa um nigu eesti kõgõ vanõmb kiil sis — võro kiil ja seto kiil. = So these are Estonia’s oldest languages— the Võro language and the Seto language.

Aga ku seto kiil, noh seto kiil um veidükese vähämb kiil ku võro kiil. = But to the Seto language, well Seto is a bit smaller than Võro.

Ku seto kiil, noq setoq ummaq õigõusku, ortodoksi usku, a võrokõsõq ummaq samma usku, mis tõõsõq eestläseq, et nä ummaq kas tuud luteri usku, jah, vai sis osaq ummaq maausko, et sääntsit inemiisi um ka, vanna maausku, = As to Seto, Setos are Orthodox, followers of the Orthodox church, but Võros share the same religion as other Estonians, meaning that both are Lutherans, or believers of Native Religion,

aga muido nigu võro ja seto kiil ummaq väega lähküq ütstõõsõlõ, et väega suurt vaiht ei olõq, ja kõik lõunõeesti keeleq, mulgi, võro, seto ja tarto, ummaq kõik väega sarnadsõq vai kõik väega lähküq. = but other than that, Võro and Seto are closely related, there is not much difference, and all South Estonian languages — Mulgi, Võro, Seto, and Tartu — are all very similar or all very related.

Et maq olõ, mille ma säänest juttu kõnõlõ, selle et ma olõ, säänest keele juttu, ma olõ esiq võro keele oppaja. = So I am saying these things because I myself am a Võro teacher.

Tarto Ülikoolih olõ võro keele oppaja ja egä nätäl mul um mõni võro keele tunn, et sis ma üliopilaisilõ oppa võro kiilt. = I am a Võro teacher at the University of Tartu and every week I have some class of Võro where I teach the Võro language to students.

Ja tõõnõ asi um sis Tarto Ülikooli kõrval viil Võro Instituut. = And another thing besides the University of Tartu is the Võro Institute.

Võro liinah um Võro Instituut ja sääl ma tii säänest sõnaraamatidõ arõndamisõ tüüd, võro sõnaraamatut. = There is a Võro Institute in the town of Võru. There I work on developing a dictionary, a dictionary of the Võro language.

Aga näütüses võro keeleteknoloogia äkki, et sääne võro keele kunsthelü, et puutri mõistasiq võro keeleh kõnõldaq, panõt teksti sisse puutrihe ja puutri lugõ kõva helüga võro keeleh. = For example, Võro language technology, this kind of artificial sound of Võro language, to make computers speak in Võro language so that you input text into the computer and the computer will speak the text out loud in Võro.

Et sääne, säänest asja olõmiq üteh tõisiga tennüq. = So this, this kind of thing we have done with others.

Ja sis sääne elektroonilinõ võro sõnaraamat, et internetisõnaraamat um meil üts tähtsä tüü. = And then there is this electronic Võro dictionary, an important work for us has been the online dictionary.

Ja sääne nigu võro keeleteknoloogia sääne, sääne automaatnõ võro keele grammatiga ja sääne võro keele opminõ, et saat internetist kätte, et sääne um mul sääne Võro Instituudi tüü. = And this kind of Võro language technology, this automatic Võro language grammar and learning that is accessible on the Internet, this is my work at the Võru Institute.

Jah, ja ülikoolih sis võro keele oppaminõ üliopilaisilõ. = Yes, and teaching Võro to students at the university.

Ja inemiisile kah Võro liinah teemiq võro keele kursuisi. = And we offer Võro language courses to people in the town of Võru.

Et üts võro keele algkursus sai õkva läbi, 15 inemist opõq võro kiilt veidükese. = One Võro language course for beginners has just concluded, 15 people learned a bit of Võro.

Sügüse tulõ järgkursus. Ja sis, mis sis viil? = We will have a follow-up course in autumn. And then, what else?

Et ma olõgi sääne inemine, et ma väega pall’o seo võro keelega tegele. = So I am this kind of person, I am very much involved with the Võro language.

Näütüses ka sääl internetih, Facebookih mul um võro keele grupp, midä ma olõ sääl nigu iistvidäjä sääl. = For example on the Internet, on Facebook I have a Võru language group that I am moderating.

Et täämbä, tegeligult eeläq õdagu, sai täüs 2000 inemist võro keele grupih. = So today, actually last night, we had 2,000 memebers in our Võro language group.

Et innemb oll’ veidemb. Paari kuuga tegeligult um väega pall’o inemiisi tulnuq. = Before we had less. Within a few months, actually, many people have joined.

Et võro keele Facebooki grupp um küländki popp, küländki pall’o inemiisi um sääl. = So the Võro language Facebook group is rather popular, there are quite a lot of people there.

Nüüd sai kats tuhat. = Now we have 2,000.

Ja sis, või-ollaq sis midägi ka latsist. = And now maybe something about children.

Et mul um kats väikeist tütärd, väiku üts um katsa-aastanõ ja üts um nelätõist-aastanõ. = I have two young daughters, the younger one is 8 and the other is 14.

Ja sis um, poig um kuvvõtõist-aastanõ. = And then a 16 year old son.

Ja sis um viil üts suur tütrik, kiä um joba, parhilla välämaal eläs, katõkümne viiene. Et sääne. = And then one older daughter, who lives abroad, she is already 25.

Aga ma olõ latsiga kõik aig, ja naasõga kah, kotoh olõmiq kõik aig võro kiilt kõnõlnuq. = But all this time I have spoken Võro at home with my children and with my wife.

Meil um kodokiil võro kiil. = Our home language is Võro.

Latsõq kõnõlõq kõik võro kiil vasta, et tõistmuudu ei saaq. = The kids always respond in Võro; there is no other way.

Näütüses, ku maq egä õdak loe unõjuttu, sis ma loe latsilõ võro keeleh tuud unõjuttu. = For example, when I read a bedtime story every evening, I read it in Võro.

Et võrokiilsit latsiraamatit väega pall’o viil ei olõq, um mõnikümmend latsiraamatut, kats-kolmkümmend võrokiilset latsiraamatut, aga sis loe, võta eestikiilse raamadu, mõnikõrd ka harva vinne keele vai soomõ keele raamadu ja kõrraga loe võro keeleh.
= Because there are not very many Võro language children’s books — there are 20–30 Võro language children’s books —I take an Estonian book, or sometimes a Russian or Finnish book, and read it out loud into Võro.

Et nigu tuu, ku um lihtsä tekst, lihtsä raamat, sis um latsilõ niimuudu võimalik unõjuttu kõrraga võro keeleh lukõq, umah keeleh. = So if there is book with simple text, a simple book, then this way it is possible to read a bedtime story in Võro, in our own language.

Nigu käügipäält tõlgit ärq. Ja tuu um küländki hää, et ku veidüq raamatit um sis, no eesti keelest um väega kerge, vinne keelest vai inglüse keelest vai soomõ keelest um veidükese rassõmb. = Meaning you translate it on the go. And this is quite good, if you have some books, well it is very easy from Estonian, but a bit more difficult from Russian, English, or Finnish.

Kõgõ huvitavamb latsiraamat, mis olõ niimuudu kõrraga tõlknuq, um kveeni keelest. = The most interesting children’s book that I have simultaneously translated like this was from the Kven language.

Tuu um sääl Põh́a-Ijämere veereh väikene soomõ keele muudu kiil ja sääne koomiks, ja sis latsilõ väega miildüs, et kõrraga kveeni keelest võro kiilde. This is a small language similar to Finnish, spoken near the Arctic Ocean. The book was kind of a comic and the kids really liked this simultaneous translation from Kven to Võro.

Jaq, ja sis, ku ma näütüses kogõmaldaq mõnõ eesti keele sõna ütle, ku ma latsiga kõnõlõ, sis latsõq parandasõq minno. = And then, when I sometimes accidentally say a word in Estonian when I am speaking with the children, then they correct me.

Et ma ütle näütüses, õkva asõmal ütle näütüses kohe — võro keeleh um õkva, aga eesti keeleh tuu um kohe tuusama sõna. = For example, instead of õkva, I may say kohe — in Võro language it is õkva, but in Estonian the same word is kohe (‘right away’, ‘immediately’).

Kogõmaldaq äkki ütle mõnikõrd. Mõnikõrd tulõ niimuudu. = Accidentally I may say it sometimes. Sometimes it may happen.

Vai ütle määnegi pini asõmal koer kogõmaldaq, et sis latsõq minno õkva parandasõq: “Kuulõq esä, mis juttu sa ajat? Pini piät olõma, õkva piät olõma!” = Or I may accidentally say koer (‘dog’) instead of pini, and then the children correct me immediately, “Hey, Dad, what are you saying? It must be pini, it must be okva!”

Tuust um mul hää miil. = I am very pleased with this.

Aga noh, kah́os latsil ei olõq säänest võimalust, et võrokiilseh koolih kävvüq. = But unfortunately children do not have the opportunity to attend a Võro-language school.

Ei olõq Võromaal peris võrokiilset kuuli, ja ei olõq ka Tartoh. = There are no truly Võro-language schools in Võromaa, nor in Tartu.

Nii et latsõq ummaq käünüq eestikiilseh koolih, a inne kuuli nä käveq keelepesäh. = So the children go to an Estonian-language school but before school they went to a language nest.

Õnnõs võrokiilne keelepesä um olõmah. = Fortunately there is a Võro language nest.

Tuu um sääne väikene latsihoiurühmäkene võro keeleh, võrokiilne, ja Haanih um tuu. = This is a small daycare group, taught through the Võro language. It is based in Haani.

Sääl um kümmekund last, 8–10 last. = There are about 10 children, 8–10 childen.

Ja sis latsõq ummaq mul kõik käünüq, algusõh oll’ tuu Võro liinah, peräst Haanih, kõik latsõq ummaq mul käünüq võro keelepesäh. = And then my children have all gone, initially in the town of Võru, later in Haani, all of my children have gone to the Võro language nest.

Nä käveq külh üts kõrd nädälih õnnõ, aga et siski um mul hää miil, et latsõq ummaq saanuq tõisi latsiga võro kiilt kõnõldaq. = They went only once a week, but still I am glad that they have been able to speak the Võro language with other children.

Aga sääntsit võrokiilsit latsi umgi väega veidüq kah́os. = But there are very few children speaking Võro, unfortunately.

Et ku maq olli väiku, sis oll’ joba niimuudu, et imä ja vanaimä kõnõliq muqka eesti kiilt. = So when I was small, my mother and grandmother already spoke Estonian with me.

Umavaihõl imä ja vanaimä kõnõliq võro kiilt kõik aig. = Between themselves, my mother and grandmother spoke Võro all the time.

Ma kuuli egä päiv võro kiilt, a mullõ nä es kõnõlõq tuud võro kiilt. = I heard Võru every day, but they did not speak the language to me.

Ja sis määnegi aig ma naksi sis esiq nõudma, et kõnõlgõq mullõ võro kiilt. = And then at some point I began demanding that they speak Võro to me.

Ja naksi esiq ka võro kiilt kõnõlõma ja, et “ärke kõnõlgõq mullõ eesti kiilt, kõnõlgõq võro kiilt!” = And I began speaking Võro myself and told them, “Don’t speak Estonian to me, speak Võro!”

Ja sis tuust aost pääle maq olõ võro kiilt kõnõlnuq. = And from then onwards I have spoken Võro.

Ja maq kõnõlõ kõiki inemiisiga võro kiilt, Võromaal. = And I spoke Võro with everybody in Võromaa.

Võro keeleala pääl kõnõlõ egäütega võro kiilt. = In the Võru-language territory I speak Võro with everybody.

Tartoh kõnõlõ tutvidõ inemiisiga. = In Tartu, with acquaintances.

Peris võõra poodimüüjäga ei kõnõlõq, kõnõlõ eesti kiilt. = With every [unknown] shop assistant I do not speak [Võro], I speak Estonian.

Aga kõik, kiä mul tutvaq ummaq, noidõga kõnõlõ võro kiilt. = But with all of my acquaintances, with them I speak Võro.

Ega taa võro kiil nüüd eesti keelest nii pall’o tõistmuudu ka ei olõq. = Well, the Võru language is not that different from Estonian.

Et hariligult sõbraq saavaq mul kõik arvo esiki. = So usually all of my friends understand.

Sõbraq kõnõlõsõq mullõ, vai tutvaq, eesti kiilt, ma kõnõlõ näile võro kiilt vasta ja no inämb-vähämb saamiq arvo, vai peris häste esiki. = Friends, or acquaintances, speak to me in Estonian and I speak to them in Võro in return, and more or less we understand each other, or even rather well.

Mina saa muidoki väega häste, a nimäq mõnikõrd mõnõst sõnast ei saaq agaq, aga inämb-vähämb. = I understand very well of course, but they do not understand some words sometimes — but more or less they do.

Ja niimuudu tuu um.
= And so it is.

Ja tuud, tegelt ma arva, et rohkõmb võisiq inemiseq umma kiilt kõnõldaq. = And actually, I think that people could speak their language more.

Et mullõ näütüses miildüs nii nigu Norrah um. = So I would like it the way it is, for instance, in Norway.

Et Norrah um niimuudu, et egäüts kõnõlõs umma tuud, umma murrõt ja sis kiäki ei kõnõlõq norra kiräkiilt. = In Norway everybody speaks in their own dialect and nobody speaks in the Norwegian written language.

Aga Eestih kuiki inemiseq kõnõlõsõq eesti kiräkiilt. = But in Estonia all people speak in the Estonian written language.

Kiräkiil ei olõq nigu kõnõlõmisõs, a um rohkõmb nigu noh iks kirotamisõs ja lugõmisõs, aga Eestih nigu kõnõldas tuud kiräkiilt, ja üteldäs, et tuu um eesti ütiskiil. = The written language is not really meant for speaking, rather for writing and reading, but in Estonia the written language is spoken and it is told that this is the Estonian common language.

Aga no tuu um sisulidsõlt iks, inemiseq ütleseq, et kõnõlõsõq kiräkiilt. = But it is effectively so that people say that one should speak the written language.

Et tuu um imelik, et kiräkiil piäsiq nigu kirotamisõs olõma, mitte kõnõlõmisõs. = But this is strange, because the written language should be meant for writing, not for speaking.

A meil Eestih um niimuudu — inemiseq kõnõlõsõq kiräkiilt. = But in Estonia this is how we have it — people are speaking the written language.

Ja tegeligult võinuq iks niguq umma kiilt kõnõldaq. = But in reality one could speak one’s own language.

Et niipall’o ku võrokõisi viil um, kiä umma kiilt kõnõlõsõq, et võisiq tuud kõnõldaq ja võisiq latsilõ kõnõldaq. = So that as many Võro people we have who can speak their language, they could speak it and could speak it to the children.

Umilõ latsilõ võisiq umah keeleh kõnõldaq. = One could speak in one’s own language to one’s children.

Et tuu um väega tähtsä, et kuis tuu kiil edesi lätt sis? = So this is very important — how does a language continue living?

Et piät latsilõ kõnõlõma. = One must speak it to children.

Maq tuud tii ja tegeligult ma väega looda, et tõõsõq inemiseq kah rohkõmb tuud teesiq. = I know this and I really hope that other people would also realize this.

Ja suur unistus um tuu, et, midä ka Võro Instituut aja, tuud asja, et latsiaiaq iks saasiq võrokiilses Võromaal. = And my big dream is, and this is also the goal of the Võro Institute, is that there would be Võro-language kindergartens in Võromaa.

Parhilla poolõq Võromaa latsiaiaq umbõs oppasõq üts päiv nädälih võro kiilt. = Right now in approximately half of Võromaa kindergartens, the Võro language is taught once a week.

Ja sis um niimuudu, et mitte terveq latsiaid, a üts rühm, ja sis ütel rühmäl um üts võro keele päiv. = And this is not a full kindergarten, but one group, and then this one group has one Võro language day.

Tuud kutsutas keelepesäpäiv. = This is called a “language nest day”.

Aga et säänest latsiaida ei olõq üttegi, koh olõsiq kõik viis päivä võro keeleh. = But there are no kindergartens where all five days would be taught via the Võro language.

Tuu um suur unistus, et tuud saasiq. = This is a big dream, that this would happen.

A paistus, et latsiaiaq kuigi ei olõq viil valmiq tuus kah́os. = But it seems that kindergartens are not ready for it yet.

Õnnõ üts sääne keelepesälatsihoit um meil, sääl um kolm päivä nädälih, rohkõmbas ei olõq lihtsält rahha. = We have only one such language nest daycare, three days a week, and there is simply no money for more.

Jah. Noh, Eestih um jo eesti kiil riigikiil ja kõik tuu suur pingutus ja haridussüstiim ja kõik um eesti keeleh. = Well, in Estonia the Estonian language is the state language; all these big efforts and the educational system and everything is in the Estonian language.

Üteldäs, et noh võro keele jaos niguq ei jakkuq rahha ja ei olõq võimaluisi niipall’o ja piät keskendümä nigu, et eesti kiil um esiki väiku kiil ja piät eesti keelele keskendümä. = They say that there is not enough money for Võro and there are not so many possibilities and that we must concentrate on — well, that Estonian language itself is a small language and so we must concentrate on the Estonian language.

Aga noh võro kiil um ka jo õnnõ Eestih. Et ku võro keelele ei andaq tuud säänest kõrralikku riiklikku tukõ, no sis võro kiil jo koolõs vällä. = But Võro is spoken only in Estonia. So if Võro does not receive this solid state support, then Võro will become extinct.

Tegeligult um hädäste vaia võrokiilne haridussüstiim saiaq paika — kooliq, latsiaiaq ja rohkõmb võrokiilset meediät. = Actually we badly need to set up a Võro-language educational system: schools, kindergartens and Võro-language media.

Egäpäävädseq uudisõq näütüses võro keeleh. = For instance, daily news in the Võro language.

Parhilla um õnnõ üts kõrd nädälih viis minotit võro keeleh raadiouudisõq. = Right now there are five minutes of radio news in Võro broadcasted once per week.

Olõsiq vaia egä päiv iks, et olõsiq veidükese. = We should have a bit every day.

A nuuq ummaq sääntseq unistusõq vai plaaniq meil, võrokõisil, et saiaq umakiiseq kooliq, latsiaiaq, umakiilne määnegi meediä sääne, et sis olõsiq võro keelel viil väega pall’o luutust edesi elläq. = But these are the kinds of dreams or plans that we, the Võro people have, to get our schools, kindergartens, media, and similar things in our own language, so that Võro would have a lot of hope to survive.

Et ma arva, et võro keele, ja ka tõisi väikeisi kiili sääne tulõvik olõnõs keelekõnõlõjist hindäst kõgõpäält. = So I think that the future of the Võro language, and other small languages, depends first and foremost on the language speakers themselves.

Et ku pall’o nä, kas nä kõnõlõsõq latsiga vai mitte. = Like how much they, or whether they, speak to their children or not.

Ku inemiseq kõnõlõsõq ummi latsiga kõik aig umah keeleh, sis tuu kiil ei kaoq. = If people speak to their children all the time in their own language, then the language will not disappear.

Ja tõõnõ asi — aga tuu jaos, et tuud tunnõt saiaq, et ma kõnõlõ ummi latsiga, tuujaos um vaia tegeligult iks riigi tukõ. = And another thing — but for that, to get the will to speak the language with one’s children, this also requires state support.

Et olõsiq nuuq latsiaiaq ja aoleheq ja tegeligult väega rassõ um iks uma keele pääl püssüq noil latsõvanõmbil, ku riik ei tukõq. = So that there would be these kindergartens and newspapers and actually it is very difficult for parents to stay on their own language if the state does not support it.

Et hädäste um vaia, et tuu riik, koh tuu kiil um, näütüses sis võro kiil um Eestih, et Eesti riik piäsiq iks väega kõvva tugõma tuud võro kiilt. = We need badly that this state where the language is spoken, for example the Võro language is spoken in Estonia, that the Estonian state should provide a lot of support for Võro.

Et ega muido nuuq imäq ja esäq ei nakkaq nii nal’alt kõnõlõma ummi latsiga. = Because otherwise, those mothers and fathers will not just begin like this, with speaking in Võro to their children.

Et tuu olõnõs imäst ja esäst, kas kiil lätt edesi. = It depends on the mother and father, whether the language survives.

Aga tuu, et imä ja esä kõnõlõsiq umma kiilt latsiga, tuu jälki olõnõs tuust, et kas riik um häätahtlik ja kas tukõ küländ pall’o. = But this, for the mother and the father to speak in their own language to their children, this in turn depends on whether the state is kind and whether there is enough support.

Et seo um nigu sääne ütistüü — inemise ja riigi ütistüü täämbätsel pääväl, et väikene kiil saasiq edesi minnäq. = So this is a kind of collaboration — between the individual and state today, for a small language to keep going.

Ütsindä inemise pääle nigu ka ei saaq luutaq. = One cannot depend on the individual person only.

Piät olõma kõva tugi, nigu kooli ja latsiaia ja riigi tugi kah. = There has to be strong support, like from the school, kindergarten and the state as well.

Ja tuu um ma arva mitte õnnõ võro keele, a kõiki väikeisi kiiliga, et nail um tukõ vaia, muido ei jääq elämä. = And this applies to not only Võro, but to all small languages — they need support, otherwise they will not survive.

Olõnõs külh kõnõlõjast, aga kõnõlõjat piät tugõma. = Yes, it depends on speakers, but speakers must be supported.

Sis lätt kiil edesi. = Then the language will continue living.

Sääne jutt sai parhilla võro keelest. = This kind of talk came out about Võro.

Aga ma looda, et ti kuulõt võro kiilt kunagi viil. = But I hope that you will hear the Võro language sometime again.

Ja ku ti siiäq kanti tulõt, Eestihte tulõt, sis tulkõ Võromaalõ ja ku ti olõtki eestläseq, sis um viil kergemb — tulkõ Võromaalõ ja tulkõ mino võro keele kursuisilõ, ku ti tahat võro kiilt oppiq. = And if you come to this neighbourhood, if you come to Estonia, then come to Võromaa, and if you are Estonian then it is even easier — come to Võromaa and join my Võro language course if you want to learn the Võro language.

Kas Tarto Ülikooli võro keele kursuisilõ vai sis Võro Instituudi võro keele kursuisilõ, et sis saati kah oppiq võro kiilt. = Either a Võru language course at the University of Tartu or a Võru language course at the Võru Institute, so that you could learn the Võro language.

Häste, kõkkõ hääd! = Very well, all the best to you!

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-06-07, 19:22

Aapo Ilves - Kosmos (Cosmos)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3v9rPTLqrA

Lyrics:
► Show Spoiler

Translation:
► Show Spoiler

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-06-16, 20:48

List of some of the systematic differences between Estonian and Võro (phonology and grammar):

Phonology
Võro has vowel harmony, Estonian does not.
    (vro) küsümüs (et) küsimus "question"
Võro has /ɨ/, Estonian does not.
    (vro) syna (et) sõna "word"
Võro has a glottal stop and uses it often; Estonian does not.
    (vro) tereq (et) tere "hello"
Estonian ea is ää in Võro.
    (vro) hää (et) hea "good"
Estonian ee is ii in Võro.
    (vro) tii (et) tee "road"
Estonian oo is uu in Võro.
    (vro) tuu (et) too "that"
Estonian õe is õõ in Võro.
    (vro) jõõ (et) jõe "river"
Estonian äi is äü in Võro.
    (vro) täüs (et) täis "full"
Estonian öö is üü in Võro.
    (vro) tüü (et) töö "work"
Estonian ks is tś/sś in Võro.
    (vro) ütś (et) üks "one"
    (vro) usś (et) uks "door"
Estonian ps is tś in Võro.
    (vro) latś (et) laps "child"
Grammar
Estonian third-person present singular ending is -b; Võro has -s, a vowel, or no ending.
    (vro) tulõ (et) tuleb "comes"
    (vro) otś (et) otsib "seeks"
    (vro) miildüs (et) meeldib "pleases"
Estonian has -d as the nominative plural ending; Võro has -q.
    (vro) kassiq (et) kassid "cats"
Estonian has -s as the inessive case ending; Võro has -n.
    (vro) mõtsan (et) metsas "in the forest"
Estonian has -sse as the illative case ending; Võro has -he.
    (vro) Tartohe (et) Tartusse "into Tartu"
Estonian has -le as the allative case ending; Võro has -lõ.
    (vro) mõtsalõ (et) metsale "to the forest"
Estonian has -ks as the translative case ending; Võro has -s.
    (vro) selges (et) selgeks "[become] clear; clearly"
Estonian has -ni as the terminative case ending; Võro has -niq.
    (vro) surmaniq (et) surmani "until death"
Estonian has -ta as the abessive case ending; Võro has -ldaq.
    (vro) sinoldaq (et) sinuta "without you"
Estonian has -ga as the comitative case ending; Võro has -gaq.
    (vro) sinogaq (et) sinuga "with you"
Estonian has -m as the comparative ending; Võro has -mb
    (vro) vanõmb (et) vanem "older"
Estonian past participle ending is -nud; Võro has -nuq.
    (vro) tulnuq (et) tulnud "come"
Estonian negative is formed with ei prior to the verb; Võro adds -õs, -õiq, -iq, -as, -aiq, -eiq, etc. after the verb.
    (vro) olõ-õs (et) ei ole "is not"
    (vro) taha-iq (et) ei taha "do not want"
    (vro) tii-eiq (et) ei tee "does not do"
    (vro) tulõki-iq (et) ei tulegi "doesn't even come"

Orthography
Estonian does not generally mark palatalization; in Võro it is marked with '.
    (vro) palḱ "log"/(vro) palk "salary" (et) palk "log, salary"
Estonian lacks the letter q (except in loanwords); in Võro q represents a glottal stop.
    (vro) niguq (et) nagu "as"
Estonian lacks the letter y (except in loanwords); in Võro it represents /ɨ/. In some orthographies õ is used for both /ɨ/ and /ɤ/.
    (vro) syna (sõna) (et) sõna "word"

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-09-01, 3:40

Zetod - Kuldnõ Noorik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AQ-NragqoI

Seledä' mu uni ärä, kuldnõ noorik,
seledä' mu uni ärä, helle-helle-roo,
mis ma üüse unõh näie, kuldnõ noorik,
mis ma üüse unõh näie, helle-helle-roo.

Kuslapuu oll' kua takah, kuldnõ noorik,
kuslapuu oll' kua takah, helle-helle-roo,
vislapuu oll' vii veereh, kuldnõ noorik,
vislapuu oll' vii veereh, helle-helle-roo
sarapuu oll' sanna takah, kuldnõ noorik,
sarapuu oll' sanna takah, helle-helle-roo
tammõpuu oll' tarõ takah, kuldnõ noorik,
tammõpuu oll' tarõ takah, helle-helle-roo

Kuslapuusta tulõ' kos'a', kuldnõ noorik,
kuslapuusta tulõ' kos'a', helle-helle-roo,
vislapuusta veerüs' viina', kuldnõ noorik,
vislapuusta veerüs' viina', helle-helle-roo,
sarapuusta saava' saaja', kuldnõ noorik,
sarapuusta saava' saaja', helle-helle-roo,
tammõpuu pand tano pähe, kuldnõ noorik,
tammõpuu pand tano pähe, helle-helle-roo.

Armas Tiio, kallis Tiio, kuldnõ noorik,
Armas Tiio, kallis Tiio, helle-helle-roo,
saie tütär tallo pite, kuldnõ noorik,
saie tütär tallo pite, helle-helle-roo
saie Maali majja pite, kuldnõ noorik,
saie Maali majja pite, helle-helle-roo.
Päivä illos om pääle kaia', kuldnõ noorik,
päivä illos om pääle kaia', helle-helle-roo,
üüse hüä om hõlma võtta', kuldnõ noorik,
üüse hüä om hõlma võtta', helle-helle-roo.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2021-10-13, 19:01

When it comes to mõtsalõ - metsale, does the suffix change depending on vowel harmony? Is it -lõ because mõtsa has õ in the root? If so, what are the other variants of the suffix?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-10-13, 19:42

aaakknu wrote:When it comes to mõtsalõ - metsale, does the suffix change depending on vowel harmony? Is it -lõ because mõtsa has õ in the root? If so, what are the other variants of the suffix?

Yes, it is vowel harmony. There are two versions of the suffix: -lõ (for words with the vowels a, o, u and õ) and -le (for words with the vowels ä, ö, ü and e).
In Võro they are presented as "vowels with two dots, plus e" (front vowels), "vowels with no dots" (back vowels), and "vowels with one dot" (i, which can go with either group depending on the word's other vowels).
The chart below shows the vowel harmony paradigm and example words for each letter.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2021-10-13, 19:48

Thanks!
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-12-18, 16:24

Some Võro writers (võro kiräniguq)

Adsoni Artur (Artur Adson) vro et fi en ru
Ahvena Kalju (Kalju Ahven) vro et
Auna Elise (Elise Rosalie Aun) vro et
Haavaoksa Paul (Paul Haavaoks)et en ru
Iheri Rihhard (Rihhard Iher) vro et
Ilvese Aapo (Aapo Ilves) vro et en ru
Jaigi Juhan (Juhan Jaik) vro et en