Distance Learning Course in Northern Sámi

davidwelsh
Distance Learning Course in Northern Sámi

Postby davidwelsh » 2009-12-16, 20:04

I've decided to learn a bit of Northern Sámi, and I came across this distance learning course offered by Folkeuniversitetet, Norway's leading private adult education provider, that I thought others here might be interested in.

http://www.furogaland.no/kurs.asp?avd=187&kurs=27924&lang=1&kursnavn=Samiskkurs+-+Davvin+1+(brevkurs)

The course uses the Davvin 1 textbook (there are similar courses for Davvin 2, 3 and 4).

You have to pay for the course up front, but if you complete it you get your money refunded in full :D. (Part of a government initiative to encourage people to learn Sámi). The course book and CDs are included, you don't need to order or pay for them separately.

I think I'm going to sign up for this - I'll definitely be motivated to complete the course!
Mostly speaking: Norwegian, English, a little Polish
Mostly reading: Norwegian, English, Scots, Swedish, Danish, Esperanto
Mostly learning: Sanskrit, Tibetan, Polish
Mostly dabbling in: Mandarin Chinese

yangbowen

Re: Distance Learning Course in Northern Sámi

Postby yangbowen » 2010-02-09, 22:01

Thank you for sharing that website. Have you decided to take the course? If so, please let us know what you think of it! :)

davidwelsh

Postby davidwelsh » 2010-02-10, 7:48

Yes, I've signed up for the course and received the materials.

I've worked my way through the first few units, and completed the first set of exercises to send to my tutor (although I haven't actually posted them yet.)

The Davvin book's quite good I think. It's fairly standard teach yourself type stuff - dialogues, word list, grammar explanations and exercises. The CDs are paced quite slowly. The audio for each lesson is 30 or 40 minutes, and there's not all that much new material introduced each time. The new material is well presented, with quite a lot of repetition. The audio for each lesson begins with a recap of the previous lesson.

The audio was recorded nearly 30 years ago, so some of the Norwegian's a little quaint and old fashioned sounding! The presenter speaks very clearly and quite slowly though, so I think even if your Norwegian's only intermediate-ish you'd still be able to follow the course without too many problems.
Last edited by davidwelsh on 2010-02-26, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly speaking: Norwegian, English, a little Polish
Mostly reading: Norwegian, English, Scots, Swedish, Danish, Esperanto
Mostly learning: Sanskrit, Tibetan, Polish
Mostly dabbling in: Mandarin Chinese

yangbowen

Postby yangbowen » 2010-02-11, 20:18

Thank you for sharing! I'm going to consider signing up for this. The part about the refunded money is especially tempting. :shock: Definitely extra motivation...

Return to “Uralic Languages”