Finnic

Linguaphile
Re: Finnic

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-11, 1:51

Massimiliano B wrote:Here you can find a little book in English (Võro-seto language, Kalle Eller. Võru, 1999). It is very short (only 25 page).

Here is a short description of the language, in English.

Here are some in English:
Inglüse-võro puutrõsynaraamat, English to Võro dictionary of computer terminology
Useful phrases in Võro
The Southern Estonian Language
The Võro Language in Estonia
Võro Literature? What's That?

Other resources, mostly in Estonian or Võro:
Võro-eesti synaraamat
Juss opis võro kiilt - Cartoons in Võro
Võru sünteeshääl (Võro synthetic voice)
Võrokeeline kodo
Anname edasi!
Mino Võromaa

h34

Postby h34 » 2018-03-15, 19:54

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-19, 2:29

h34

Postby h34 » 2018-03-19, 11:38

Kven:

http://youtu.be/aTI_N6jSqnQ

Dictionary Kven <> Norwegian (Bokmål)
Some basic phrases and expressions, basic grammar
► Show Spoiler

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2022-06-01, 13:38

I wasn't really sure where to put this (and also not sure if this is useful/interesting to anyone besides me but who knows?) so I'll just leave it here:

Here's a South Ostrobothnian - Finnish dictionary that is still being updated! (Scroll down a little, there's first text at the top of the page.) I think it's so cool. You don't usually see anything like this about dialects, at least not anything as comprehensive as this. It even has examples of how to use the words in sentences! :)

Note though that the admin of the page does not mark where the words are used, so there are words that are only known in some parts of S. Ostrobothnia, words that have the same meaning but different pronunciation in different towns, and words that look the same but whose meaning changes depending on where you are. The dictionary is also lacking words because it's based on what words the visitors send the admin. So, it's not perfect, but it's very impressive IMO!

(For example, there's both flänkyttää and flänköttää with the same meaning. I don't know where they are used, but I think it's an example of a word that has two possible pronunciations that are used in different towns. Also, I've learnt the word frääsätä as prääsätä but only in the sense of "splash, splatter water" (which you can find listed under "P"), and for me naalia is nääliä (this variant is not listed in the dictionary).)

Return to “Uralic Languages”