Flags on the Main Page

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Do you want to keep the flags on the main page?

Poll ended at 2018-03-24, 15:35

Yes
76%
No
24%
I don't care
No votes

Total votes: 17

księżycowy
Flags on the Main Page

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-10, 15:35

So, over the years there has been discussion of the usefulness as to the use of flags to designate both languages and sub-forums. It is also obviously impracticable to add all the flags for some of the bigger subforums (such as the NAIL, AAPL, or Creole). The question here is, do you what to keep the flags on the main page to designate subforums?

I'd like to limit our discussion here to the flags on the main page, and not their use as language indicators. At least for now, if possible.

I'll run this poll for two weeks (14 days).

Please note: In the event that "I don't care" is tied for first with another option, it will default to the other option. If "I don't care" wins, it will be considered a tie, in which case it will default to the other option that has the most votes (i.e. the second place winner).

Feel free to discuss below.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Flags on the Main Page

Postby Johanna » 2018-03-10, 20:59

Yes, we should keep them.

It's not a perfect solutions, but humans tend to be visual beings and keeping the flags will make your specific language forum easier to find by a first glance. Ditching them... How many of us have not ever read through a list several times in search of a name we knew was there but couldn't find?
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-03-11, 7:33

Yes, I think they are useful.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-11, 17:57

I don't really see the point, but I've kind of expressed my views on this already. I voted "no," but I don't think I feel all that strongly about it, either.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-03-12, 12:08

I think they help to find the right link quickly, so I'm for keeping them.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-12, 12:53

I think they are at best problematic, and a headache better avoided. But I don't care greatly.

Liggliluff

Postby Liggliluff » 2020-02-06, 13:30

Flags are not languages (there's a whole blog about that)

It just causes some issues, such as some languages having multiple flags, and some flags representing multiple languages. Then even if you pick a regional flag for that language, it's not certain people will understand what language it is. So it's better to just write out the name instead.

This applies to everywhere on this forum, even in the translation posts. It sure does look neat with the flags, but it does not help when it comes to duplicate flags and obscure flags.

(ami) Amis, (bnn) Bunun, (pyu) Puyuma, (dru) Rukai, (sxr) Saaroa, (trv) Seediq, (tsu) Tsou, (hak.Hant) Hakka [Traditional], (zh.Hant) Mandarin Chinese [Traditional], (nan.Hant) Minnan Chinese [Traditional]

Sumsum

Postby Sumsum » 2022-03-11, 18:15

Liggliluff wrote:(ami) Amis, (bnn) Bunun, (pyu) Puyuma, (dru) Rukai, (sxr) Saaroa, (trv) Seediq, (tsu) Tsou

in this case having the feature makes things worse, like legit way worse;
any indigenous symbol or at-least combining the symbol with a modifier thats specific to the culture, something like memetic/meunomic device or symbol;
that'd be an improvement over the status quo[personally I think a ? would also be an improvement]

księżycowy wrote:I think they are at best problematic, and a headache better avoided. But I don't care greatly.

I agree but I want to disagree.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”