Forum Song Contest Discussion

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

dEhiN
Forum Song Contest Discussion

Postby dEhiN » 2018-03-07, 22:26

For those who participate in the FSC and also follow this (sub)forum, can we discuss what's going on with the FSC? Namely,

1) Why was there a discussion in FSC 65 about the idea of culling the Used Songs list so that songs could be reused, only to then have Luís' nomination for FSC 66 be called out (whether jokingly or not) as cheating because he nominated a Eurovision song, to the point where he felt he would rather withdraw his nomination? That seems contradictory to me: on the one hand some of us are saying we want to be able to reuse songs from our very own contest, and on the other hand some of us are saying that using a song nominated in some other contest is cheating!

2) If we have, and have had, one thread dedicated to all the FSC song nominations from the past and that thread is (for the most part) regularly updated, then why did Quetzalcoatl decide to create a new thread? I don't even know the reason for the thread, though it seems like it's to demonstrate that we could organize the old nominations by FSC rather than a long alphabetical list. Quetzalcoatl also mentioned in his last reply that he isn't done, implying that he's planning to add nominations older than from 2017, which again would clash with what I thought was the official Used Songs thread. What's the point now of having both?

(On a side note, specific to point 2, I know that I haven't caught up with updating the Used Songs thread. But wouldn't it have made more sense for Quetzalcoatl, or anyone else who wanted to see that thread up-to-date, to have offered to help me?)

3) Are we going to discuss and decide what was brought up in FSC 65 about keeping a list of previous song nominations? What do the others feel about this? Should we keep things as is and just keep adding the Used Songs thread? Or should we start putting a time limit for when a song could be recycled?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Re: Forum Song Contest Discussion

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-08, 1:12

dEhiN wrote:1) Why was there a discussion in FSC 65 about the idea of culling the Used Songs list so that songs could be reused, only to then have Luís' nomination for FSC 66 be called out (whether jokingly or not) as cheating because he nominated a Eurovision song, to the point where he felt he would rather withdraw his nomination? That seems contradictory to me: on the one hand some of us are saying we want to be able to reuse songs from our very own contest, and on the other hand some of us are saying that using a song nominated in some other contest is cheating!

I seriously didn't care. It was a bad joke on my part. Sorry Luís!

I think, as Luís put it, it's suppose to be fun. Anyone should be able to nominate anything they want. If the rules inhibit fun and participation, we certainly need to change that.

[I don't feel it's my place to speak about #2]

3) Are we going to discuss and decide what was brought up in FSC 65 about keeping a list of previous song nominations? What do the others feel about this? Should we keep things as is and just keep adding the Used Songs thread? Or should we start putting a time limit for when a song could be recycled?

I'm personally for a time limit. I think the list is already ridiculously long and if we keep going it'll only get longer.

Well actually, I'm not being entirely honest. I don't think we really need a list at all. But that's me.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-08, 1:17

I honestly don't feel strongly one way or the other regarding the used songs list.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-03-08, 4:38

Maybe we need to have a poll for number 3 (because we all know we love them so much :D), but I'll wait a few days and see if anyone else chimes in. I personally don't care either way either, though I do agree that if we keep going the Used Songs thread will get ridiculously long. It takes a while to load as is because of all the flags. If we do a poll, 4 or 5 possible options I could see, based on what has already been mentioned are:

- keeping the Used Songs thread as is
- getting rid of the thread
- culling the current thread and keeping used songs for 6 months
- culling the current thread and keeping used songs for 1 year
- culling the current thread and keeping used songs for 5 years

Regarding number 1, księżycowy, I remember you mentioning it was a joke. My bringing it up wasn't aimed at you; I was more so blowing off some steam (in part because of number 2).

Regarding number 2, I suppose really only Quetzalcoatl could reply, and hopefully he does. I get his point about it's easy to restructure the list and base it on the FSCs, but I really do think creating a whole new thread to show that point was unnecessary.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-03-08, 9:32

księżycowy wrote:I seriously didn't care. It was a bad joke on my part. Sorry Luís!

It wasn't because of the cheating comments, I took that lightly :P

I just think it's not a good attitude when someone says right off the bat that they will deliberately ignore a song (regardless of whether they like it or not)
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-08, 10:18

dEhiN wrote:Regarding number 1, księżycowy, I remember you mentioning it was a joke. My bringing it up wasn't aimed at you; I was more so blowing off some steam (in part because of number 2).

Oh, I could tell you were letting off some steam. I just wasn't sure in which direction.

Thanks for clarifying a bit. :)

Luís wrote:It wasn't because of the cheating comments, I took that lightly :P

I'm glad. :)

I knew it probably wasn't primarily because of me that you pulled out anyway, but I was worried I may have piled on or something.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-08, 10:22

dEhiN wrote:Maybe we need to have a poll for number 3 (because we all know we love them so much :D), but I'll wait a few days and see if anyone else chimes in. I personally don't care either way either, though I do agree that if we keep going the Used Songs thread will get ridiculously long. It takes a while to load as is because of all the flags. If we do a poll, 4 or 5 possible options I could see, based on what has already been mentioned are:

- keeping the Used Songs thread as is
- getting rid of the thread
- culling the current thread and keeping used songs for 6 months
- culling the current thread and keeping used songs for 1 year
- culling the current thread and keeping used songs for 5 years

I think a poll would be a good idea. I wonder if we should do it in two stages, but either way, I'm down with it.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-03-10, 7:03

księżycowy wrote:I think a poll would be a good idea. I wonder if we should do it in two stages, but either way, I'm down with it.

What would the two stages look like?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-10, 10:31

So, first stage would be deciding between:
-keep the list the way it is
-get rid of it entirely
-give it a time limit

And, depending on what won, the second poll would be deciding the length of the blackout period.

Or we could do it all in one shot. Idk.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-03-12, 5:12

I like the idea of the two stages. It's been 4-5 days now, so I'm not sure if I should wait a little longer to make the poll or not? I'm hoping others besides you, Vijay, and myself are reading this thread. Or perhaps I should start a thread with the poll in the Culture forum?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-12, 10:00

dEhiN wrote:I'm hoping others besides you, Vijay, and myself are reading this thread. Or perhaps I should start a thread with the poll in the Culture forum?

It might not be a bad idea. They might not think to look here for this topic. Plus, this forum has a lot of other discussion going on already. It maybe getting drowned out.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-20, 17:19

I'm curious if we're going to continue this discussion. Whether it is here or in the Culture sub-forum.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-20, 23:31

The problem with all these polls is that my vote is always basically "I don't really care." :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-20, 23:36

How about actually giving a damn for once? :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-20, 23:39

Oh, I give a damn...

Ooh, look! Folk-etymologized Hindi!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-20, 23:43

That's a good start, now how about a few more damns?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-21, 0:00

I am stingy with my damns, probably even by Anglicized Indianized Greek standards.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-21, 0:01

Does not compute.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-21, 1:13

The damn in give a damn is cognate with drachma. Alexander the Great introduced the drachma to India, where the term evolved and came to refer to a kind of coin thousands of years later, before the British adopted it into English and eventually re-analyzed it as damn. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-21, 8:17

Some how I started to remember that after reading your explanation.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”