Language Subforums Management Discussion 2018

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

dEhiN

Re: Language Subforums Management Discussion 2018

Postby dEhiN » 2018-03-10, 6:40

vijayjohn wrote:
Yserenhart wrote:The phrasing you used does not lend itself to an interpretation that limits the scope to just the name of the forum, but instead implies that no part of what was discussed was implemented.

Yes it does. You're just interpreting it that way.

vijayjohn wrote:...now, I'm starting to worry that the admins as a whole will end up ignoring everything we have to say in the end, much like they did with the Pacific forum. I predict that even if the rest of us all come to a consensus, they are going to merge everything exactly like Aurinĭa proposed just because she's an admin and the rest of us are not. (Of course, this won't be their (publicly) stated reasoning, but it will probably determine the outcome nevertheless). I'm not even sure the Ukrainian forum will survive, even though I agree that it should survive. Sorry, Irusia. :(

Vijay, I'm not sure what you meant to say, and you can write what I say off as "he's a mod now, so he's siding with Yserenhart", but my understanding of what you wrote was exactly as Yserenhart understood it: you were referring to everything around the AAPL forum, not just the fact that the name became AAPL rather than Pacific. Meaning, you see the admins as ignoring all the discussion around should a forum exist, what should it entail, which threads should be included, and what should this new forum be called. How can you say that your words implied or lends itself to an interpretation solely about the rejection of Pacific as a forum name? You neither included the word "name", nor phrased your statement of your worry in any way to imply a limited scope of just the "name". You may have meant to say that, but you and I both know that if we show just that first sentence to any English speaker, they will assume "everything" mean everything!
My TAC for 2019.

(en-ca) (ta-lk) (fr) (es) (en_old)

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2018-03-10, 9:07

I think that we should do like this:
Afrikaans-Danish-Faroese-Frisian-Icelandic-Norwegian-Swedish -> Germanic Languages
Catalan-Romanian -> Romance Languages
Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian-Bulgarian-Czech-Polish-Slovak-Slovenian-Ukrainian-Latvian-Lithuanian -> Slavic and Baltic Languages
Estonian-Finnish-Hungarian -> Uralic Languages
Turkish -> Turkic Languages
Georgian -> Caucasian Languages
Indonesian-Malay -> Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages
Aramaic -> Hebrew
Latin -> Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages
Kurdish -> Persian

These subforums would stay:
Arabic
Basque
Chinese
Dutch
English
French
German
Greek
Hebrew
Hindi-Urdu
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Persian
Portuguese
Russian
Spanish
بسی رنج بردم در این سال سی
عجم زنده کردم بدین پارسی

فردوسی

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-03-10, 10:32

My suggestion about what we should do now:

1. Wait for some other users who haven't said anything here to express their opinions.
2. Collect all the opinions and create a number of polls.
3. Wait for a couple of weeks for people to have a chance to vote.
4. Start to reorganize the subforums according to the results of the polls.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2018
Sign up for the Broken Translation Game 2018 and Oral Broken Translation Game 2 and Conlang Broken Translation Game 3 and FUBAR Game 2018

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-10, 10:34

I like that idea, but how long do we wait for the others to share their thoughts here?

Luís
Forum Administrator

Re: Language Subforums Renaming Discussion 2018

Postby Luís » 2018-03-10, 10:45

Luís wrote:
atalarikt wrote:Admin Luís, do you mind if I suggest that we add the flags of Papua New Guinea and Jamaica respectively to the AAPL and Creole Subforums? Speaking of which, I also would like to know if others are also interested of having Pidgins added to the name of the latter subforum.

There seems to be some issue with the layout for some people, so I'm going to put that on hold until we figure it out.

The layout issues seem to be over, so I've added the flags.

I don't know if we'll keep all the flags or not, but since this discussion will probably take a while, I've added them for now.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-10, 10:47

księżycowy wrote:I like that idea, but how long do we wait for the others to share their thoughts here?

No to mention, I forgot to say, some of us have already created polls.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-10, 12:31

dEhiN wrote:How can you say that your words implied or lends itself to an interpretation solely about the rejection of Pacific as a forum name?

I never said it lends itself only to that interpretation. I was only saying that's another valid interpretation of it and in fact the one I meant.

księżycowy

Re: Language Subforums Renaming Discussion 2018

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-10, 15:26

Luís wrote:
Luís wrote:
atalarikt wrote:Admin Luís, do you mind if I suggest that we add the flags of Papua New Guinea and Jamaica respectively to the AAPL and Creole Subforums? Speaking of which, I also would like to know if others are also interested of having Pidgins added to the name of the latter subforum.

There seems to be some issue with the layout for some people, so I'm going to put that on hold until we figure it out.

The layout issues seem to be over, so I've added the flags.

I don't know if we'll keep all the flags or not, but since this discussion will probably take a while, I've added them for now.

Speaking of which, I'll make a poll to see what the general consensus on this is (if there is a consensus). Might as well add one more thing in the mix at this point. :P

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-10, 15:54

Part of me just wants to stay away from this thread now, but I thought it would be good to post this information:

The poll I created on the Saami forum has been open for three days now and has gotten 9 votes. All 9 (100%) are in favor of changing the Saami board to include other minority Uralic languages. The other options (no change; include Finnic but not other Uralic; include larger Uralic languages) each got 0 votes.
Gothwolf also posted a suggestion for the (potential) new forum's flag, which is one I hadn't heard of before, but might work. (It's certainly not like I'd ever heard of any others, either; I just didn't realize there was one.)

These are the survey results as of now:

Are you in favor of a merger?
No: keep the Saami forum as it is. 0 No votes
Yes: include other minority Uralic languages. 9 votes 100%
Yes: include other minority Finnic languages. 0 No votes
Yes: include all Uralic languages on a single forum, including the larger languages (Finnish, Estonian, Hungarian, etc.). 0 No votes
Other (please comment below)! 0 No votes
Total votes: 9

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-10, 16:02

I'd give it at least a week (as in 4 more days), just to be on the safe side before we reach for any conclusions on it.

Although I will say any other option will really have to take off in order to take top spot now. :P

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-10, 16:07

księżycowy wrote:I'd give it at least a week (as in 4 more days), just to be on the safe side before we reach for any conclusions on it.

Although I will say any other option will really have to take off in order to take top spot now. :P

Makes sense.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2018-03-10, 21:05

I would create the poll in this forum instead, since it concerns more than just people interested in the Sami languages.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

atalarikt
Language Forum Moderator

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-10, 21:07

Johanna wrote:I would create the poll in this forum instead, since it concerns more than just people interested in the Sami languages.

Should I add the poll in this thread as well?
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2018-03-10, 21:39

atalarikt wrote:
Johanna wrote:I would create the poll in this forum instead, since it concerns more than just people interested in the Sami languages.

Why not? :)

Or maybe make a new thread in this forum?
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-10, 21:51

Johanna wrote:
atalarikt wrote:

Why not? :)

Or maybe make a new thread in this forum?

Or people here could go to the Saami forum to vote. I'll post the link again: poll on the Saami forum. I'm not at all opposed to having another poll here, it just seems like it would be simpler to have one poll instead of multiple ones, and as long as the link is available here then anyone on this forum can find it and vote.

*Edit: I didn't realize that a poll on this forum had already been created. Thanks for doing that.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-03-11, 9:17

Irusia, can you add the link to the flag poll to your global announcement? I'd create a new one, but I don't see the point in spamming everyone with announcements where there's already one that deals with subforums changes :)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-03-11, 10:16

Luís wrote:Irusia, can you add the link to the flag poll to your global announcement? I'd create a new one, but I don't see the point in spamming everyone with announcements where there's already one that deals with subforums changes :)

I've added it.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2018
Sign up for the Broken Translation Game 2018 and Oral Broken Translation Game 2 and Conlang Broken Translation Game 3 and FUBAR Game 2018

Ashucky
Forum Administrator

Postby Ashucky » 2018-03-11, 19:34

I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't see the point in merging language subforums into winder "language family" subforums, even if the language subforums are currently (more or less) inactive. There are still many older and useful threads in those subforums and merging everything together would just create a big pile of jumble. It's definitely not gonna benefit any learners of those languages.

What I've always liked about UniLang has been its variety of subforums dedicated to smaller and less-known languages. If all of those are now gonna be merged into some catch-all subforums with only the largest/most popular languages being separate, then UniLang will lose one of its main defining features (if not the main one). Tbh I didn't like the previous merger, and I like this one even less.

(Disclaimer: I'm speaking here as a user, not an admin.)
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
Največji sovražnik znanja ni nevednost, marveč iluzija znanja.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-11, 22:12

The only alternative (aside from keeping the trash can, which I'm against in it's current form) is making a bunch of new subforums though.

I do very much like the idea of instead of merging things, we just add things. But would you guys (as admins) want to do that? And even if we went that route, we'd still have to have some wider groups. We can't have separate subforums for every language out there (whether that means every language in the trash bin, or every language on earth). And what would that mean for those groupings that already exist?

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-03-11, 22:23

księżycowy wrote:But would you guys (as admins) want to do that? And even if we went that route, we'd still have to have some wider groups.

I'm not sure what you mean here, but I guess we'll go with what the majority wants. It does take a bit of work to set up a new forum, but as long as we're doing it gradually, I don't see an issue with that.

However, we probably have to find a middle ground here, because it's obviously not realistic to have a forum for each language in the list... :P

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”