Language Subforums Management Discussion 2018

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: Language Subforums Renaming Discussion 2018

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-15, 15:19

So, in a sense the Pacific forum is basically for all the Pacific Island languages that don't have their own forum?

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-15, 15:23

księżycowy wrote:So, in a sense the Pacific forum is basically for all the Pacific Island languages that don't have their own forum?

Yes, all of them except Indonesian/Malaysian, which has its own forum. At least that's what I meant. Maybe I haven't expressed my opinion clearly enough.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-15, 15:28

I did say, "all [...] that don't have their own forum." (As in a forum solely dedicated to them, rather than in a general forum, like SEA)

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-02-15, 18:19

Irusia wrote:Is the forum actually going to be created?

It will be created within the next few days, don't worry. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-15, 18:20

Cool. Thanks for the update, Aurinia! :D

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-15, 20:14

Aurinĭa wrote:
Irusia wrote:Is the forum actually going to be created?

It will be created within the next few days, don't worry. :)

This is good news for us. Thanks for informing, admin Aurinĭa!
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-16, 1:04

Good news indeed! Bedankt!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-02-16, 18:33

księżycowy wrote:-The Polynesian forum becomes the Pacific forum and includes the following language families/groups: Australian Aboriginal, Papuan, Austronesian (except those that have their own forum)

I know we've discussed this fully, but I wanted to clarify: would the Formosan languages fall into this new forum?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-16, 18:34

Yes. Basically anything spoken on a Pacific Island that doesn't ready have a home (with a few exceptions).

And to clarify further, I consider Taiwanese as a part of the Chinese forum.

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-18, 12:00

Good news, good news!
The new subforum is up now. Check it out if you haven't done it! :wink:
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-18, 12:13

I notice they didn't go with our name suggestion, but I'm not going to quibble over it.

Yay! Thanks guys! :partyhat:

Also, I noticed a two threads that are still in the "Other Languages" section that should be moved to the new form. I "reported" them.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-02-18, 13:07

We decided to go with "Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages" because it's a lot more transparent than "Pacific languages". You and other participants in this thread expressed a preference for "Pacific", but you'd also indicated you'd accept a more descriptive name.
Even though you, vijayjohn, and Irusia all offered to mod the forum, Irusia and atalarikt were asked because atalarikt is a native speaker of a language that belongs in the subforum, and Irusia had already done a lot of preparatory work by finding and listing threads that needed to be moved. Four mods for one forum would have been a bit excessive, and you and vijayjohn already mod two forums each. Of course, don't let not being the official mod stop you from reporting spam or other issues that might need to be dealt with. :wink:

We'd just finished moving the threads from the lists Irusia had compiled, so your reports came at exactly the right moment and were immediately followed up. It's nice to see such enthusiasm. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-18, 13:42

I figured that's what you were going for name wise.

As for the mod thing, I'm not worried about it. I figured, given were we ended up atalarikt would make the most sense overall. It certainly won't stop me from helping with Australian Aboriginal languages as an "unofficial mod." :wink:

Thanks for all your help, Aurinia! And everyone else too, of course! :)

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-21, 0:19

I do feel like choosing other mods is more or less necessary for other language families there, though. :D

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-21, 0:45

I'm the mod of the NAIL forum (by myself, I might add), and I mostly just know about the Iroquoian languages. I wouldn't worry about it too much. :wink:

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2018-02-24, 11:39

Kala Lagaw Ya and Chuukese should be moved to the new Austronesian-Australian-Papuan thread. They are still in the "other languages" section.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-02-24, 11:42

Massimiliano B wrote:Kala Lagaw Ya and Chuukese should be moved to the new Austronesian-Australian-Papuan thread. They are still in the "other languages" section.

Thanks. I just moved them to the new forum.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2018-02-24, 14:49

księżycowy had already reported these languages:

księżycowy wrote:Also, I noticed a two threads that are still in the "Other Languages" section that should be moved to the new form. I "reported" them.

I've also noticed that there is a thread about the Kosraean language in the old forum (pre-2009). Should it be moved in the new Austro-Papuan forum?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-24, 14:56

Actually the two I was referencing were the Formosan thread and another one I can remember at the moment. Maybe the Saaroa thread?

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2018-02-24, 15:06

I thought you were referencing those I reported, since they were still in the "other language" section.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”