Language Subforums Management Discussion 2018

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: Should the Polynesian Languages subforum be renamed into Oceanic Languages?

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-07, 20:31

Wow, thanks Irusia! :D

Now let's just hope you didn't dig all those threads up for nothing.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-02-07, 20:33

That's not a bad idea; there's already precedence for grouping based on geography. But would the term "Oceanian" be self-explanatory? That is, would people know to look there for the Australian Indigenous and Papuan languages?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-07, 20:39

Maybe we could call it "Australian, Papuan and Oceanic languages"?

Not sure how to fit all three into one nice sounding title. :P
Is Papua New Guinea considered a part of Oceania, by the way?

Or maybe "Indigenous languages of the Pacific Islands"?

Idk. :hmm:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-02-07, 21:13

księżycowy wrote:Maybe we could call it "Australian, Papuan and Oceanic languages"?

Not sure how to fit all three into one nice sounding title. :P
Is Papua New Guinea considered a part of Oceania, by the way?

Or maybe "Indigenous languages of the Pacific Islands"?

Idk. :hmm:

Well we don't have to fit it into one nice sounding title. After all, we do have "Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages" as well as "Central and South American Indigenous Languages". One caveat/question: we use the term indigenous for NAIL (North American Indigenous Languages), CSAIL, and AIL (African Indigenous Languages). Should we add the same term after Australian? Or is it pretty much a given that if you talk about Australian languages, you mean the aboriginal ones?
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-07, 21:37

If we go that route, I'd suggest "Aboriginal" instead of "Indigenous." That seems to be the preferred term in Australia.

"Australian Aboriginal, Papuan and Oceanic Languages"?

I could get behind that, I suppose.

Here's a question, what about the Formosan languages? Would they be included in this?

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-08, 3:29

księżycowy wrote:If we go that route, I'd suggest "Aboriginal" instead of "Indigenous." That seems to be the preferred term in Australia.

"Australian Aboriginal, Papuan and Oceanic Languages"?

I could get behind that, I suppose.

Here's a question, what about the Formosan languages? Would they be included in this?

1. Nice subforum name. I definitely agree!
2. Taiwan isn't all too close towards Australia or any other Oceanic countries. Maybe group it with Philippine/local languages of Nusantara/other Malayo-Polynesian languages that aren't Oceanic?
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-08, 3:50

I wouldn't include the Formosan languages in an Oceanian subforum. They're not spoken in Oceania.
dEhiN wrote:But would the term "Oceanian" be self-explanatory? That is, would people know to look there for the Australian Indigenous and Papuan languages?

I don't see why not. It's not any less intuitive than including Neo-Aramaic under "Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages."

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-08, 10:17

As for the Formosan languages, we have Neo-Aramaic in "Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages." I don't find that any less intuitive.

I don't think I'd concider them "Southeast Asian" and I don't think I'd put them with Indonesian/Malay.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-02-08, 10:29

I don't know if there's enough space for a such a long name, though.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-08, 10:31

Maybe drop "Aboriginal" then? Would that shorten it up enough?

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-02-08, 10:33

Well, there are already other forum names that are truncated in the main page and nobody has complained, so maybe that's not an issue... :silly:
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-08, 10:35

Well, if anyone does complain, it's an option. :P

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-08, 11:15

księżycowy wrote:As for the Formosan languages, we have Neo-Aramaic in "Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages." I don't find that any less intuitive.

I don't think I'd concider them "Southeast Asian" and I don't think I'd put them with Indonesian/Malay.

D'oh! I forgot that we already have the SEA languages subforum when I wrote my earlier message.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-08, 11:17

I mean, we can move the Formosan languages thread to the SEA forum. I guess I have a hard time associating Taiwan with SE Asia, but I can deal. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-08, 11:20

vijayjohn wrote:I don't see why not. It's not any less intuitive than including Neo-Aramaic under "Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages."

I'm kinda with dEhiN on this one. I didn't even know Oceanian was a thing until I googled it after you brought it up. It does work, but who the hell knows what it means? :P

And even if they did, the name by far expects the Oceanic languages more than Papuan or Australian. Or at least in my eyes.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-08, 13:13

księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I don't see why not. It's not any less intuitive than including Neo-Aramaic under "Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages."

I'm kinda with dEhiN on this one. I didn't even know Oceanian was a thing until I googled it after you brought it up. It does work, but who the hell knows what it means? :P

You've never heard of Oceania?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-08, 13:22

Not before this discussion, no.

I've heard of Oceanic, so I could have guessed.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-08, 13:56

What if we just renamed the Polynesian Languages subforum as the Pacific Languages subforum? Then we could include Formosan, too, right?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-08, 14:14

That's simple enough. And would include all of the languages were taking about. Maybe we could call it "Pacific Indigenous Languages" or something.

atalarikt

Request to rename Polynesian Languages subforum

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-08, 14:35

Now that's much better than the previous suggestions! :yep: :woohoo:

Also, I edited the thread title to reflect more the many ideas poured here.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”