Temporary downtime today and/or tomorrow for server maintenance

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

proycon
Server Administrator
Temporary downtime today and/or tomorrow for server maintenance

Postby proycon » 2016-10-22, 12:31

I'll be doing some server maintenance today and/or tomorrow that may cause some temporary downtime.
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

Linguaphile

Re: error messages

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-02-24, 6:56

On quite a few of the threads today, when I click on them, instead of the contents of the thread I instead get this message:

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Out of memory; check if mysqld or some other process uses all available memory; if not, you may have to use 'ulimit' to allow mysqld to use more memory or you can add more swap space [1041]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited.

This is true of the Issues & Bugs thread (actually, most but not all threads in the "Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions" section), and seemingly random other threads, such as the "Livonian" thread in the Uralic forum (but not the rest of the Uralic forum).

Weirdly, I can open and read the posts in any of these threads if I am not logged in. But as soon as I log in, if I click on those threads I get the message I quoted above (which also means that I cannot reply to them, since I cannot open them when I am logged in.)

I realize I'm replying to a really old post and this is sort of the wrong place for it, but I was unable to post it in the Issues and Bugs thread because of this very issue. This is one of the few threads in the Informatoin/Input/Questions subforum that I can actually open and post to while logged on. I hope it gets found here. I did see the posts about server migration and debugging; I'm not sure if this problem part of that (probably? such a weird coincidence with the timing if not). I can certainly be patient if it's a known issue that is going to be fixed later, but I wasn't sure if you were aware of it.
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Temporary downtime today and/or tomorrow for server maintenance

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-24, 7:04

Wait, you're still having that issue? Even right now?

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-02-24, 7:07

Always a good idea to clear one's browser cache when websites are acting up (Ctrl-F5 or Ctrl-Shift-R)
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2019-02-24, 18:42

vijayjohn wrote:Wait, you're still having that issue? Even right now?

Yeah, I'm getting that same issue as well as of 13:37 EST 2019-02-24. It's happening with the Issues & Bugs thread. When I logged on this afternoon, I had several unread notifications, including one for the Issues & Bugs thread. When I went to it, I got that MySQL error page, but oddly enough when I went to the index page the notification for it showed as read. I've since tried multiple times to access that thread and sometimes it just shows a blank page, but my browser shows that the page has finished loading.

md0 wrote:Always a good idea to clear one's browser cache when websites are acting up (Ctrl-F5 or Ctrl-Shift-R)

This is true, except that wouldn't the MySQL error indicate it's a server side problem? If so, how would clearing the browser's cache help? All that'll do is get the browser to request the page anew, but if there are database issues, the same error will happen.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

md0

Postby md0 » 2019-02-24, 18:55

This is true, except that wouldn't the MySQL error indicate it's a server side problem?

Generally, yes. But because (1) the errors were, at the time, resolved on my side, and (2) I have had experience in the past were seemingly MySQL errors where in fact caused by bizarre caching behaviour of my ISP, I thought the same was the case here. But it looks like there's a genuine server problem here after all.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2019-03-06, 18:47

FYI, there will be some more downtime soon (probably tomorrow) for the final stage of the server migration (to shiny brand new hardware).
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”