Changes in the Administration and Global Moderating Team

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: Changes in the Administration and Global Moderating Team

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-07, 21:33

It's between that, and the lack of members in general.

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-08-07, 21:34

To be honest, I didn't feel like the forum was abandoned or something.
New language flags aside, was there any feature missing?

And if we are indeed on phpBB 3.x like I assume we are, then we are using a recent and supported version of the software.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-07, 21:43

md0 wrote:And if we are indeed on phpBB 3.x like I assume we are, then we are using a recent and supported version of the software.

Iirc, the recent upgrade including the changes to a Git repo and all, was to phpBB 3.x. Whether there's a newer minor version, I don't know. But we're at the latest major version I believe.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-07, 21:58

md0 wrote:To be honest, I didn't feel like the forum was abandoned or something.

I wouldn't say abandoned either. But it seems we get a lot of one shots and people only posting in one or two language specific sub-forums.

Whatever the case, it isn't as vibrant as I remember it being back in the day.

And I'm not making a complaint or anything. There's only so much we can do to attract new members anyway.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-07, 22:01

Speaking of issues/fixes. And I'm not sure if this is better here or elsewhere, but I remember the language lists being alphabetical. Now they seem to just list things randomly (I'm assuming by code or something). Any chance we could get it back to alphabetical?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-07, 22:04

dEhiN wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:So can anyone else access the resource archive?

I can.

I can too. When you hover your mouse over the "Resource Archive" link, what's the URL it's pointing to? It should be http://unilang.org/resources.php.

That's the URL it points to, as I said earlier. But I finally remembered that I can't access that, only http://www.unilang.org/resources.php. I don't know why that's the case, but I had found that earlier. I just forgot.

Now that I got there, I see some broken/dead links. For example, if I click on "Courses," the first course is listed as "A Basic Course in the Bengali Language" and links to a page that is apparently dead now. I see some archives of this page, though. If I click on "Videos" and then "Arabic Alphabet," the YouTube video it links to is dead, but there is this one, which I'm guessing is just an updated link for the same video.

I also find that I can't see any of the videos listed under "Videos" in Google Chrome.

Does this make sense? Are those fixable issues? Should they be fixed?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-07, 22:09

vijayjohn wrote:But I finally remembered that I can't access that, only http://www.unilang.org/resources.php.

That's a little odd because I always thought most browsers, or perhaps rather most web servers, will consider the domain with and without www in front to reference the same site.

They are fixable issues. But someone (or a group of someones) would comb through the resources list and pick out which ones are dead links, them probably submit it to Ysrenhart or someone else who can fix the code, and they would then have to update the code. Unless the resource links are being pulled from a database, in which case Ysrenhart or someone else has to then update the database.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-07, 22:23

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:But I finally remembered that I can't access that, only http://www.unilang.org/resources.php.

That's a little odd because I always thought most browsers, or perhaps rather most web servers, will consider the domain with and without www in front to reference the same site.

Generally, they do (I think - they do at least on my machine), but I think it's a peculiarity of this particular forum. Recall that it used to be (www.)unilang.org and now it's forum.unilang.org. So now if I enter unilang.org, I think it assumes I mean the (now defunct) earlier site, whereas if I enter www.unilang.org, I'm redirected to forum.unilang.org.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-08-07, 22:46

vijayjohn wrote:Recall that it used to be (www.)unilang.org and now it's forum.unilang.org. So now if I enter unilang.org, I think it assumes I mean the (now defunct) earlier site, whereas if I enter http://www.unilang.org, I'm redirected to forum.unilang.org.

Oh I didn't know that, or if I did, I forgot. But I believe that's a fix that can be done at the DNS level, which I guess is something Maartin has to do. Well, even if it's at the web server level, it's still a fix only Maartin can do. But all you need is a simple redirect to say that both www.unilang.com and unilang.com point to forum.unilang.com.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-08, 8:32

księżycowy wrote:Whatever the case, it isn't as vibrant as I remember it being back in the day.

And I'm not making a complaint or anything. There's only so much we can do to attract new members anyway.

Well, Internet forums were all the rage back in the early 2000s, but not anymore. As people started using social networks more and more, they started using forums less (I don't think it's specific to Unilang).
Also, back then Unilang was one of the few places online where language geeks could interact. These days you have tons of language related websites, not to mention things like podcasts, Youtube, mobile apps. It's harder to compete.

There's actually a Unilang group on Facebook, but hardly anyone posts there and you can't really search posts, for instance. A forum is actually more practical for this kind of thing IMHO.

księżycowy wrote:Speaking of issues/fixes. And I'm not sure if this is better here or elsewhere, but I remember the language lists being alphabetical. Now they seem to just list things randomly (I'm assuming by code or something). Any chance we could get it back to alphabetical?

Are you sure? I don't actually remember, but I don't think anyone changed that recently. For most languages there's not much of a difference, but there are some codes which seem to bear no resemble to the name of the language. I can look into it, but I don't promise anything.

vijayjohn wrote:Now that I got there, I see some broken/dead links. For example, if I click on "Courses," the first course is listed as "A Basic Course in the Bengali Language" and links to a page that is apparently dead now. I see some archives of this page, though. If I click on "Videos" and then "Arabic Alphabet," the YouTube video it links to is dead, but there is this one, which I'm guessing is just an updated link for the same video.

I also find that I can't see any of the videos listed under "Videos" in Google Chrome.

There are hundreds of links there. Sure, we can fix them over time (you're welcome to help :) ), but I wouldn't say it's a priority. We're talking about external links, so you can never be sure how long they'll remain valid. That same Youtube link you now suggest might stop working in a few months as well, who knows?
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

md0

Postby md0 » 2017-08-08, 8:39

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Recall that it used to be (www.)unilang.org and now it's forum.unilang.org. So now if I enter unilang.org, I think it assumes I mean the (now defunct) earlier site, whereas if I enter http://www.unilang.org, I'm redirected to forum.unilang.org.

Oh I didn't know that, or if I did, I forgot. But I believe that's a fix that can be done at the DNS level, which I guess is something Maartin has to do. Well, even if it's at the web server level, it's still a fix only Maartin can do. But all you need is a simple redirect to say that both http://www.unilang.com and unilang.com point to forum.unilang.com.

Afaik the www. redirect is not automatic. You need to set up a ServerAlias in Apache httpd, and I imagine other server software is similar.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-08, 9:10

Luís wrote:
księżycowy wrote:Speaking of issues/fixes. And I'm not sure if this is better here or elsewhere, but I remember the language lists being alphabetical. Now they seem to just list things randomly (I'm assuming by code or something). Any chance we could get it back to alphabetical?

Are you sure? I don't actually remember, but I don't think anyone changed that recently. For most languages there's not much of a difference, but there are some codes which seem to bear no resemble to the name of the language. I can look into it, but I don't promise anything.

Quite sure. I remember each "star level" being alphabetical by the English name of the language.

It seemed to have changed around the time we switched to the newer format/code/software/whatever. It's probably a similar issue to how some of the language listings "broke" after the switch. So noöne nessicarily changed (or intended to change) it.

EDIT: Also, is there any chance we could get the edit button back for our language lists in the UCP? It's a bit annoying/cumbersome to have to delete and readd languages to change the ratings.

Do what you can. It's no big deal if these two things are restored or not. It certainly won't break my bank. :)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-08-08, 20:04

księżycowy wrote:Quite sure. I remember each "star level" being alphabetical by the English name of the language.

It seemed to have changed around the time we switched to the newer format/code/software/whatever. It's probably a similar issue to how some of the language listings "broke" after the switch. So noöne nessicarily changed (or intended to change) it.

I think it works now :)

księżycowy wrote:EDIT: Also, is there any chance we could get the edit button back for our language lists in the UCP? It's a bit annoying/cumbersome to have to delete and readd languages to change the ratings.

You don't actually have to delete and readd the language. You can simply change the proficiency and click "Submit". If the language already exists, it will be updated. I guess I was too technical last week... :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-08-08, 20:10

Oh! So that's what you meant there! Great!

Thanks Luís! :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-08, 20:55

Thanks for adding all these things and getting back to us so quickly, Luís! :)

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-03-08, 19:45

Due to lack of time, Johanna has decided to resign as an administrator. She will, however, stay on as a language moderator. We want to thank her for all the time and effort she's put into improving UniLang during her many years as an admin. There is currently a discussion going on about the forum policy, but Johanna was one of the driving forces behind us even having an actual, written policy that can be amended, so we want to take the opportunity to acknowledge that.

Yserenhart has decided to resign as well, citing an increasingly unwelcome and adversarial atmosphere caused by various users; as well as not wanting to be used as a reason to criticise the other admins by proxy, as has happened recently.

As there is currently no difference between global moderators and admins, the two groups have been merged. Ashucky, JackFrost, and dEhiN are now also admins. I hope you like your new colour. :)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-03-08, 20:34

To those who are leaving: thank you for all your time and work. I hope you keep on participating in the forum! :D

To those who have a new color: welcome! (sort of :P )

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2021-11-08, 4:10

When did Naava become a forum admin? I just saw her name in the list, but don't recall there being any announcement about it. Anyway, congrats Naava!

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2021-11-08, 8:00

dEhiN wrote:When did Naava become a forum admin? I just saw her name in the list, but don't recall there being any announcement about it.

I'm sneaky like that! :wink:

A few days ago. Thank you.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-11-09, 15:27

Congratulations, Naava!

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”