Downsizing and renewing UniLang? Ideas for the future

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Downsizing and renewing UniLang? Ideas for the future

Postby Johanna » 2015-03-22, 0:54

Would it be possible to leave some extra air between the rows of subforums on the index page?

It's kind of hard to see what language-specific forums have new posts, while it's quite visible when for example Literature has.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-03-22, 1:27

I agree. It seems a little too congested around the language specific forums at the moment.

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2015-03-22, 5:23

loqu wrote:It was really convenient - I used the x-sampa -> IPA converter practically all the time. But if it was too inconvenient for the developers, it's ok.

Eugh, that's disappointing. I used the UniLang converter whenever I wanted to write IPA online.

I'm also not a fan of placing "new posts" – which is what I almost always use to browse forums – in a dropdown menu. From my perspective, it just adds a cumbersome extra click every time I visit the site. It reminds me of what YouTube did to their annotations button.
Native: [flag=]en-us[/flag] Good: [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] Okay: [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]la[/flag] Beginning: [flag=]it[/flag] Interested in: [flag=]he[/flag] [flag=]hi[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag]

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2015-03-22, 9:53

Good point, I added it to the issue tracker: https://github.com/proycon/unilangforum/issues/7 .

It would be a nice little project for somebody to implement, it's standalone and fairly easy. I'm trying to leave some of the easier projects open to hopefully encourage new developers to work on it so things overall don't get stagnant again. The issue list is a nice place to get started for people who are looking for how to contribute in development.
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2015-03-22, 10:20

Well, I might as well copy here my post from the issue tracker, so that people can comment:

How about a simple virtual keyboard wikipedia-style or typeit-style? I'm currently working on one: http://i.imgur.com/m2GPrDM.png

Of course there'd be a dropdown allowing to change the layout... IPA, Latin/Roman, Greek, Cyrillic, etc.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2015-03-22, 13:16

It already was an issue on the old software, but ever since I started using the https version, videos aren't displayed (yes, I mean displayed, not played) automatically, but you have to make an exception. Is there a way to fix that?
Please correct my mistakes!

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2015-03-22, 18:45

Hmm.. that's probably because the videos are external and unencrypted, I bet it's the browser itself who pops up a warning and wants an exception (for good reason).
my homepage

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2015-03-22, 18:47

Патрислав Андреевич just implemented a virtual keyboard for IPA! And other schemes are pending I assume. Check it out, click "show virtual keyboard" when writing your post.
my homepage

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-03-22, 19:01

proycon wrote:Патрислав Андреевич just implemented a virtual keyboard for IPA! And other schemes are pending I assume. Check it out, click "show virtual keyboard" when writing your post.

Great job, Patrislav! Looks awesome.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2015-03-23, 5:45

Can someone make the large Unilang logo at the top clickable? It actually took me a while to notice that the only link to the index forum page is that small home icon.

Yes, it's a whim. If you're working on some more serious issues, it is okay. :)

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-03-23, 5:56

This looks like a job for Inexperienced Programmer Woman! :lol: I'll see if I can figure anything out. It is probably quite simple, and since I'm not a good programmer maybe I'll see if I can take it on unless someone else beats me to it.
Trans woman  Image

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-23, 6:18

How come in the top left, there are greetings in various languages, but one of the ones listed is "Không"? In Vietnamese, that means 'no'; it's not a greeting. I can't figure out what other languages have a word spelled that way and used as a greeting, either. :hmm:

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2015-03-23, 6:28

proycon wrote:Патрислав Андреевич just implemented a virtual keyboard for IPA! And other schemes are pending I assume. Check it out, click "show virtual keyboard" when writing your post.

Yes, they are! And of course, write here if you find any mistake or have any requests. :)

Lauren wrote:Great job, Patrislav! Looks awesome.

Thank you! :D

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-03-23, 8:04

Ok. Well after taking awhile to set up a server on my computer and cloning this site (well, the style, anyway), I figured out how to make the logo clickable.

I can submit a pull request with the changes, but it appears that changes to styles/unilang/template/overall_header.html don't keep. I mean, I can only get the right code to be used by editing the page with Chrome's Developer tool's , for example. Editing the file overall_header.html doesn't do anything. I'm not sure why that is... :?
Trans woman  Image

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2015-03-23, 8:14

That is indeed the correct place, I'm not sure why it doesn't show for you. If you submit the pull request I'll look at it.
my homepage

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2015-03-23, 8:18

vijayjohn wrote:How come in the top left, there are greetings in various languages, but one of the ones listed is "Không"? In Vietnamese, that means 'no'; it's not a greeting. I can't figure out what other languages have a word spelled that way and used as a greeting, either. :hmm:

Ah, that could well be the error in there. I remembered there was one wrong greeting in the languages I didn't know but I forgot which, I figured someone would spot it ;) This hello text is quite ancient, I made it back in 2002 or something, and even have a printed t-shirt of it, from the short period we sold merchandise with logos and all ;)
my homepage

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-03-23, 8:20

OK, my request should be there in a couple minutes. :) Hope I did everything right, hadn't done a pull request on GitHub before. :oops:

proycon wrote:Ah, that could well be the error in there. I remembered there was one wrong greeting in the languages I didn't know but I forgot which, I figured someone would spot it ;) This hello text is quite ancient, I made it back in 2002 or something, and even have a printed t-shirt of it, from the short period we sold merchandise with logos and all ;)

Haha, oops! :lol:
Trans woman  Image

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2015-03-23, 8:43

It works fine, I just merged and deployed it! Thanks!
my homepage

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2015-03-23, 8:47

Maybe it didn’t work because you have to purge the cache in the Administration Control Panel, or alternatively delete everything from the cache directory? :)

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-03-23, 8:53

Oh god! Well it works fine on my laptop but something totally fucked up on the mobile site. Now on the mobile site like half the page is the link to the board index. :doggy:

I'm not sure what the problem is, but this is definitely not good for mobile users. I advise to revert my commit until I or someone else gets that figured out.

Also purging the cache worked, so tomorrow I'll look into why it's doing that on mobile so I can test on my phone before re-submitting.

I fucked up. :oops:
Trans woman  Image

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”