Downsizing and renewing UniLang? Ideas for the future

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Downsizing and renewing UniLang? Ideas for the future

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-23, 9:17

proycon wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:How come in the top left, there are greetings in various languages, but one of the ones listed is "Không"? In Vietnamese, that means 'no'; it's not a greeting. I can't figure out what other languages have a word spelled that way and used as a greeting, either. :hmm:

Ah, that could well be the error in there. I remembered there was one wrong greeting in the languages I didn't know but I forgot which, I figured someone would spot it ;) This hello text is quite ancient, I made it back in 2002 or something, and even have a printed t-shirt of it, from the short period we sold merchandise with logos and all ;)

Yeah, I think all the others are fine. :) I didn't know until I looked it up that آداب [aˈd̪ab] could be used all by itself in Urdu though; I've only ever seen/heard آداب عرض ہے (the only time I actually heard it was on Encarta where it sounded like [aːˈd̪aːbr̩ze] :lol:).

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2015-03-23, 9:46

Lauren wrote:Oh god! Well it works fine on my laptop but something totally fucked up on the mobile site. Now on the mobile site like half the page is the link to the board index. :doggy:

I'm not sure what the problem is, but this is definitely not good for mobile users. I advise to revert my commit until I or someone else gets that figured out.

Also purging the cache worked, so tomorrow I'll look into why it's doing that on mobile so I can test on my phone before re-submitting.

I fucked up. :oops:

No problem, that happens :) I reverted it and fixed the issue.
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-03-23, 11:16

vijayjohn wrote:How come in the top left, there are greetings in various languages, but one of the ones listed is "Không"? In Vietnamese, that means 'no'; it's not a greeting. I can't figure out what other languages have a word spelled that way and used as a greeting, either. :hmm:

I noticed không too and thought "why is that there?" :lol:

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-03-23, 11:59

vijayjohn wrote:
proycon wrote:

Ah, that could well be the error in there. I remembered there was one wrong greeting in the languages I didn't know but I forgot which, I figured someone would spot it ;) This hello text is quite ancient, I made it back in 2002 or something, and even have a printed t-shirt of it, from the short period we sold merchandise with logos and all ;)

Yeah, I think all the others are fine. :) I didn't know until I looked it up that آداب [aˈd̪ab] could be used all by itself in Urdu though; I've only ever seen/heard آداب عرض ہے (the only time I actually heard it was on Encarta where it sounded like [aːˈd̪aːbr̩ze] :lol:).

Hmm... if I had to be pedantic I would say that buongiorno means good morning and people who log in in the evening or at night may find it a bit weird. Salve (formal) or ciao (informal) would've been better choices since they're around-the-clock greetings. :)

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2015-03-23, 13:03

If I had to be pedantic I’d say that Polish ‘witam’ looks weird on a website, because it implies a real person saying it (which Unilang isn’t... is it? :para: ) — I would use ‘witaj’ or, less formally, ‘cześć.’ And Serbo-Croatian ‘dobar dan’ means ‘good day’ (what with the users browsing UL at night???)

:silly:

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-03-23, 18:15

proycon wrote:No problem, that happens :) I reverted it and fixed the issue.

Thanks. :oops:

I had seen the Javascript solution but didn't try it since I assumed that the cursor wouldn't change to the hand when hovering over it. Good to know it works!
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2015-03-23, 20:30

Oh nice, the mobile version looks much better indeed. :)

But is there any chance we could get back the old way of indicating new posts in the language specific forums on the main page, with just the flag in colours of different intensity? I think that was much clearer.

hashi

Postby hashi » 2015-03-23, 22:44

I'm pretty sure that Unilang is getting Alzheimer's in its old age. The 'Remember me' login checkbox does not seem to remember me for very long. :roll:

kevin wrote:But is there any chance we could get back the old way of indicating new posts in the language specific forums on the main page, with just the flag in colours of different intensity? I think that was much clearer.

^ This. And also how tiny the icons are. Some of us don't have the best eyesight ;)
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-03-23, 22:57

hashi wrote:I'm pretty sure that Unilang is getting Alzheimer's in its old age. The 'Remember me' login checkbox does not seem to remember me for very long. :roll:

Even after having deleted cookies?
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

hashi

Postby hashi » 2015-03-24, 0:23

Johanna wrote:
hashi wrote:I'm pretty sure that Unilang is getting Alzheimer's in its old age. The 'Remember me' login checkbox does not seem to remember me for very long. :roll:

Even after having deleted cookies?
Yeah. I'm logged on at work currently and this computer has never been on Unilang before ;) Between now and my last message it logged me out also. But it does it at home also.
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-03-24, 5:46

Odd. I rarely get logged out of UniLang.

EDIT: Oh shit, wait a minute. If we had scraps on our profile page earlier...does this mean we'll never be able to recover our old scraps? :| (Not trying to complain, but it would be nice to know one way or the other).

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2015-03-24, 9:08

vijayjohn wrote:Odd. I rarely get logged out of UniLang.

EDIT: Oh shit, wait a minute. If we had scraps on our profile page earlier...does this mean we'll never be able to recover our old scraps? :| (Not trying to complain, but it would be nice to know one way or the other).

The data is still there of course, so we may be able to salvage and export them sometime.
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2015-03-29, 12:25

I love the new functionalities, but I feel the fonts in two places (subforum names and all the text under the avatars in threads) are too small.
Native: [flag=]pl[/flag] Very advanced/near native: [flag=]en-US[/flag]
Intermediate: [flag=]es[/flag]
Beginner [flag=]de[/flag], [flag=]sgn[/flag], [flag=]tpi[/flag], [flag=]en_old[/flag], [flag=]ar[/flag]
Wanderlusting: [flag=]ja[/flag], [flag=]ru[/flag]
Artificial languages: [flag=]art-qya[/flag], [flag=]art-sjn[/flag],
My interest has been drawn by: [flag=]fa[/flag], [flag=]zh[/flag],

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2015-03-29, 12:44

According to me, everything is way too small. Both on my telephone and at the computer.

I really need to control+ the website to be able to read everything. I know my eyes aren't that great but I don't need to do this for other websites and I didn't need to do this before the changes. And even when I have control+'ed I'm still not able to read the text under the avatars...
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2015-03-31, 14:53

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:According to me, everything is way too small. Both on my telephone and at the computer.

I really need to control+ the website to be able to read everything. I know my eyes aren't that great but I don't need to do this for other websites and I didn't need to do this before the changes. And even when I have control+'ed I'm still not able to read the text under the avatars...

I thought it was just some mysterious problem of my computer. I need to keep a 200% zoom to make the Unilang page of a decent size.

loqu

Postby loqu » 2015-03-31, 22:08

It looks OK in my computer, actually the font size hasn't changed at all for me.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-04-01, 7:56

I'd like to remove the notification for private messages.

The new site is cool. But I feel it's slightly slower to load than the old version, here at my place.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-04-01, 13:36

Youngfun wrote:I'd like to remove the notification for private messages.

You can do that yourself through the user control panel :) Board preferences - Edit notification options.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2015-04-09, 19:42

Something seems to have gone wrong with the extended smiley selection pop-up window. But the smileys listed there, which now don't show, still seem to work, for example: :hmpf:.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-04-09, 20:12

Have you tried clicking on the numbers in that pop-up window?

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”